Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689
Default Re: Leon Hall to Safety!

Any thoughts on moving Whitworth to Center also?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 11

I actually believe this is a good idea for several reasons. We've needed to solidify the back end for several years. Nelson is great but we need another safety. We could draft one but impact college safeties are hard to come by. There is usually one every 2-3 years and they are almost always drafted in the top 10-15. This year there are no impact FS or SS. So we could draft Rambo, Elam, or Vaccaro but these guys aren't MAJOR upgrades over our current SS situations. Using a first or second on a safety in this years draft will only make us marginally better, while I will admit, selecting one would allow us to release 3 or 4 of what seems to be an 18 man secondary. As Marvin would say, "...And that's a good thing."

So, what do we do? I believe there is one scenario with two options. The scenario involves drafting Xavier Rhodes, an athletic and productive corner with our first pick in the second round and moving him to safety OR playing him at corner. If he performs well at the combine this might require us to select him with our first rounder (TBD). Given how the league has changed over the last few years, successful teams need players who can cover at every position. Given our scheme and Rhodes' size and length I believe he could play either safety position effectively. Leon CB1 Kirkpatrick CB2 Newman CB3 Jones CB4 Nelson SS and Rhodes FS allows us to cover the best teams in the league. Or as the author suggested we could move Leon to FS move Nelson to SS and roll with Kirkpatrick CB1 Newman CB2 Rhodes CB3 (let Zimmer coach him up to replace Newman by mid-season or 2014) and Jones CB4. Personally, like Rod and Charles Woodson, I think Leon would make this transition with ease. By moving Leon to safety you also have the added benefit of matching up our best player in coverage over the opposing teams' TEs. Let's face it, the TE position has become a real weapon in the NFL, limiting that threat would help us beat teams like the Colts, Texans, Patriots, and 49ers in the playoffs. If we aren't trying to win championships what are we doing...

I would also like to see us draft Barrett Jones C in the first or second depending on where we can get Rhodes following the combine. I like the idea of drafting Gio Bernard with 2b if hes there or waiting to draft Barner in the 3rd or 4th. I hope we sign Bowe WR2. Resign MJ and Andre and extend Geno, Carlos, AJ and Andy. Let Rey walk, move Burfict to the middle find a new OC and give Gresh one more year to bring it all together.

I think I've gotten off topic... Hope you guys enjoyed my "ideal" scenarios that will never happen because Mike Brown is a lousy owner. And, I'm done.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
I havent seen marvin giggle much sense J Simpson left town.
Well then time for my to step up to the plate and bring it back if Marv isn't gunna do it himself.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8960

I wouldn't want Hall to move permanently to safety as I think he's too valuable and already settled in at CB. However, I wouldn't mind seeing some packages, particularly on 3rd-and-long, where we play him at deep safety. He has good range and fluid movement, good leaping ability and plays the ball in the air well ... I do sometimes feel we'd be taking better advantage of his skills if we had more plays where he was able to face the QB the entire play instead of having to play as much man-to-man as he does.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
IIRC, he only got REALLY burned twice in the last 2 years; against Andre Johnson in last years' playoffs, and some other time this year.
Antonio Brown in Pittsburgh? I specifically recall saying "It's good to see Jones' hamstring is ok as he's chasing Brown to the end zone" when it happened

and I like how the original poster says this like we're just so overwhelmed at corner right now we can afford to move the clearcut best corner on this team away from his natural position
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17682

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBengal View Post
I actually believe this is a good idea for several reasons. We've needed to solidify the back end for several years. Nelson is great but we need another safety. We could draft one but impact college safeties are hard to come by. There is usually one every 2-3 years and they are almost always drafted in the top 10-15. This year there are no impact FS or SS. So we could draft Rambo, Elam, or Vaccaro but these guys aren't MAJOR upgrades over our current SS situations. Using a first or second on a safety in this years draft will only make us marginally better, while I will admit, selecting one would allow us to release 3 or 4 of what seems to be an 18 man secondary. As Marvin would say, "...And that's a good thing."

So, what do we do? I believe there is one scenario with two options. The scenario involves drafting Xavier Rhodes, an athletic and productive corner with our first pick in the second round and moving him to safety OR playing him at corner. If he performs well at the combine this might require us to select him with our first rounder (TBD). Given how the league has changed over the last few years, successful teams need players who can cover at every position. Given our scheme and Rhodes' size and length I believe he could play either safety position effectively. Leon CB1 Kirkpatrick CB2 Newman CB3 Jones CB4 Nelson SS and Rhodes FS allows us to cover the best teams in the league. Or as the author suggested we could move Leon to FS move Nelson to SS and roll with Kirkpatrick CB1 Newman CB2 Rhodes CB3 (let Zimmer coach him up to replace Newman by mid-season or 2014) and Jones CB4. Personally, like Rod and Charles Woodson, I think Leon would make this transition with ease. By moving Leon to safety you also have the added benefit of matching up our best player in coverage over the opposing teams' TEs. Let's face it, the TE position has become a real weapon in the NFL, limiting that threat would help us beat teams like the Colts, Texans, Patriots, and 49ers in the playoffs. If we aren't trying to win championships what are we doing...

I would also like to see us draft Barrett Jones C in the first or second depending on where we can get Rhodes following the combine. I like the idea of drafting Gio Bernard with 2b if hes there or waiting to draft Barner in the 3rd or 4th. I hope we sign Bowe WR2. Resign MJ and Andre and extend Geno, Carlos, AJ and Andy. Let Rey walk, move Burfict to the middle find a new OC and give Gresh one more year to bring it all together.

I think I've gotten off topic... Hope you guys enjoyed my "ideal" scenarios that will never happen because Mike Brown is a lousy owner. And, I'm done.
No.

You don't move him unless his skills have eroded too much, and they haven't.

Oh, and bleedORANGEandBLACK to the ban list.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2646

Too stupid for words! Dre and Ghee cant get on the field,and the other guys are ready to get their AARP cards-seriously, dude, WTF?

Ian
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11863

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBengal View Post

Disagree with these not being major upgrades. Or moving Leon. Not this year at least. Maybe toward end of career like Woodson did.

But agree with other scenarios. Like Xavier Rhodes a lot and had in all my mocks last year until he withdrew his name from draft. But prefer a LB now unless Kirkpatrick is done.

Would not mind adding Bowe at all. Could see Bernard becoming Bengal. Definitely need to re-sign MJ, Andre, and extend Geno too.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23677
bengals Re: Leon Hall to Safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Why would we move our BEST defensive back to a position he has never payed before in the NFL? Thats just dumb.

The easiest way to fix our issue at safety? Easy

Bacarri Rambo
Kenny Vacarro
Matt Elam
McDonald
Jefferson

These players are the best at their position in this years draft. Anyone of them would put the Bengals stripes on and immediately start. Just draft one and, wah-lah, issue fixed!
Amazing all those names and you did not mention maybe the best in this years class.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Newman signed a 1 year deal and may not be back...plus hes getting older.

This isn't Madden. You don't play 10 million a year CBs at safety.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2106

Something that I am surprised hasn't been mentioned, why not look at moving Dre to Safety??? His strengths are he's tall long, excels in zone coverage and was considered a good run stopper coming out of college. His man cover skills are probably his biggest weakness. Several people had him rated as the best safety prospect of the draft last year.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13624

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLEEdOrangeandBlack View Post
Eon Leon Hall could be what we need at the safety position! We are pretty deep at the corner position if Dre can get healthy. I still think we draft a safety or get a good free agent but that position is one that usually requires experience in the league before mastering. Leon Hall is smart, has great anticipation, and can make tackles in the open field. Hes not a big hitter, but solid and usually makes the play. Crocker played well this year and it should be noted that he deserves to be come back player of the year for our organization. After being cut, he didnt give up! He kept working out and when his number was called he helped us become formidable. With that being said, i think we should give Leon a shot. He dorst have to worry about reinjuring his Achilles becuz he doesnt have to make sharp cuts and turns all day. He can focus and anticipate and if Nate Clements could halfway manage kt, i know leon can! Grammar police please no harassment
In 3 years?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6800

How about we leave Leon where he is and get him a true counterpart at CB. And while we're at it a true starting safety alongside Reggie. Or does that make too much sense.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312

How bout we get the best safety in FA or via draft......that simple.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorobredbullies View Post
Something that I am surprised hasn't been mentioned, why not look at moving Dre to Safety??? His strengths are he's tall long, excels in zone coverage and was considered a good run stopper coming out of college. His man cover skills are probably his biggest weakness. Several people had him rated as the best safety prospect of the draft last year.
I remember Marvin saying that he wouldn't take a project in the first round when asked about converting Dre to safety. And it would make sense if 3 and 4 year starters actually got to play the spot they did in college. Probably the same reason they haven't used Zeitler at center.

Honestly, does anyone even read these things?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73391

Quote:
This
Don't move the best CB on the team to safety. Move the guy who fits there
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
This
I'd rather see a healthy Dre out there working his way into the nickle and letting a vet like Allen play safety.

Honestly, does anyone even read these things?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23677
bengals Re: Leon Hall to Safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
This
I would have no problem with this either. I am just waiting for the OP to discuss this depth we have at CB.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Because he's a CB who can't stay healthy at that position. He's thin for a CB and would need er hold up at safety.

If anyone moves its Jason Allen who was a safety before on his career.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8281

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Because he's a CB who can't stay healthy at that position. He's thin for a CB and would need er hold up at safety.

If anyone moves its Jason Allen who was a safety before on his career.
How many injuries has Dre had?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3241

I didn't read the thread because this is the most absurd idea in the history of western civilization.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
At least 2 and he has 4 career tackles.

A guy his size won't hold up at safety.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2966

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Just don't like the idea of moving our #1 corner to safety. Hall was playing at a all pro level the 2nd half of the season. Replacing a safety in much easier than finding a #1 cornerback. Leon might be a good safety but right now he is a great cornerback.
Agree with this. Don't move our best CB out of position, period.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29998

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
How many games has he missed already? Really, that's moot point because he's just too skinny. How much does he weigh? 185? At 6'2"? How many safeties weigh 185?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 859

Nah! He's finally come around, keep him right where he is. Next season I'd much rather have Hall back there against Baltimore & Pittsburg. He knows our division rivals and how to prepare for them.