Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,736
Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
However there are clues out there if you look for them.
Such as?

Can I blame him for not signing a #2 wr?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
No. Can someone please explain to me why so many of you think he'd be a good GM?
I have asked this question at least a 100 times on this board and the closest thing I can get to an answer is at least he won't be the head coach
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 11,821
Rep Points: 21502
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I have asked this question at least a 100 times on this board and the closest thing I can get to an answer is at least he won't be the head coach
It's perplexing. People want him run out of town as the HC, but then want him to get a promotion? This place is confusing.
__________________

Join the Bengals Message Board Survivor League. You know you want to....
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=125239
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 PM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Mr Brown please make marv the GM>

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Could you imagine how many people would show up for the interview?
You'd be there, right?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
It's perplexing. People want him run out of town as the HC, but then want him to get a promotion? This place is confusing.
I think some people actually think he'd be a good GM, same people that thinks the team has had excellent drafts the last 5 years
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
jack1953 jack1953 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,379
Rep Points: 1524
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
I've seen how others have brought this up, but think Lewis should be the GM?
Ray or Marvin?
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,736
Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

I don't think Ray Lewis would make a good GM for the Bengals.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 AM
Bengal4ever68's Avatar
Bengal4ever68 Bengal4ever68 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,401
Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Mike Zimmer will be the head coach next season....We need a strong & agressive offensive mind as well at OC, because if Gruden doesn't leave this year then he will most likely take a job elsewhere after this upcoming season....Most likely Hue Jackson will be our OC so hopefully he can be the guy to play agressive and have faith in his players skills.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,681
Rep Points: 13513
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

He would be better than the current GM.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Sideline Tweeting 101's Avatar
Sideline Tweeting 101 Sideline Tweeting 101 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gallatin Tennessee
Posts: 1,351
Rep Points: 1884
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
He has decent talent evaluation skills but he needs to move up our be gone.
Zim is good but Kubiak out game planned him for the 3rd time in two years.
Gruden needs to go!
I dont think Kubiak out game planned Zim, our MLB just cannot cover a TE. Keep in mind that even though the Texans offense was on the field for nearly most of the game they only scored 19 points. Had the offense been able to sustain a few drives the defense would have looked 10X better on the stat sheet.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM
pat5775 pat5775 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 3,636
Rep Points: 7035
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange and Black Attack View Post
Marvin can find the talent but not coach them up to their potential, he would do better in a front office role.
This.

Marvin is not my first choice as a GM for this team, but I'd certainly rather have him at that position than Head Coach.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat5775 View Post
This.

Marvin is not my first choice as a GM for this team, but I'd certainly rather have him at that position than Head Coach.
He stinks at head coach so promote him to an even more important position

Yeah that makes sense
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
pat5775 pat5775 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 3,636
Rep Points: 7035
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
He stinks at head coach so promote him to an even more important position

Yeah that makes sense
Like I said, he's not my first choice. But he has done a good job of finding talented players for this team... it's the whole coaching aspect that he struggles with.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Ryan Mc Ryan Mc is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,941
Rep Points: 8926
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I have asked this question at least a 100 times on this board and the closest thing I can get to an answer is at least he won't be the head coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
It's perplexing. People want him run out of town as the HC, but then want him to get a promotion? This place is confusing.
I'm in the same boat ... I don't think Lewis would be a particularly good GM at all. I see little evidence that he's really good at evaluating players or assistant coaches. But, I've also asked 100 times for a detailed explanation of why people think he'd be a good GM without ever getting a solid reply. It seems to be because most people agree that his game-day management is the worst aspect of his head coaching. The assumption is if we take him away from that but still keep him involved with the team it would be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
His Superbowl ring would disagree with you. Oh wait yeah you are right I forgot the offensive juggernaut that Baltimore was in 2000. I mean those world beaters Trent Dilfer and Tony Banks.
Lewis was lucky to be blessed with awesome talent on that Baltimore D, though. He had Ray Lewis and Rod Woodson, one a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer and the other will be after he retires, right through the middle of his defense. He also had Peter Boulware, who was putting together a Hall-of-Fame resume before injuries ended his career. It's not clear how much value Lewis added to the D ... Baltimore continued to be a great defense long after Lewis left. In fact, from 1999-2011 the only season Baltimore were outside of the top 10 in defensive yards allowed was 2002 ... the season Ray Lewis missed 12 games with injury.

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 01-17-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,751
Rep Points: 23152
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
I'm in the same boat ... I don't think Lewis would be a particularly good GM at all. I see little evidence that he's really good at evaluating players or assistant coaches. But, I've also asked 100 times for a detailed explanation of why people think he'd be a good GM without ever getting a solid reply. It seems to be because most people agree that his game-day management is the worst aspect of his head coaching. The assumption is if we take him away from that but still keep him involved with the team it would be a good thing.



Lewis was lucky to be blessed with awesome talent on that Baltimore D, though. He had Ray Lewis and Rod Woodson, one a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer and the other will be after he retires, right through the middle of his defense. He also had Peter Boulware, who was putting together a Hall-of-Fame resume before injuries ended his career. It's not clear how much value Lewis added to the D ... Baltimore continued to be a great defense long after Lewis left. In fact, from 1999-2011 the only season Baltimore were outside of the top 10 in defensive yards allowed was 2002 ... the season Ray Lewis missed 12 games with injury.
How much of that talent arrived after lewis became the DC? Are you saying he had no say in the evaluation and or drafting of those players? Seriously .....these boards crack me up. He gets zero credit for anything good and ALL the blame for everything bad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM
DJMoney DJMoney is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Clifton, Ohio
Posts: 376
Rep Points: 106
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Why anyone on here actually thinks a shake up like this is actually going to happen, I'm not sure.

In a perfect world, it sounds great.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Sham69Rock Sham69Rock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,383
Rep Points: 1499
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

I love the idea of Lewis as GM......of a local Burger King franchise. I bet Giggles would work out great there.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham69Rock View Post
I love the idea of Lewis as GM......of a local Burger King franchise. I bet Giggles would work out great there.
That would be one burger king I would never visit
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat5775 View Post
Like I said, he's not my first choice. But he has done a good job of finding talented players for this team... it's the whole coaching aspect that he struggles with.
Ahmad Brooks can't play in the NFL ~ Marvin Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM
basballguy's Avatar
basballguy basballguy is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glenn Heights, TX
Posts: 1,476
Rep Points: 2631
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

I think what this thread and the countless others about it doesn't say is.....

we're all assuming it's Marvin Lewis making personnel decisions.

What if it turns out he isn't? Do you still want him as GM?

I think not.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
twlssn03 twlssn03 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 187
Rep Points: 48
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Tweeting 101 View Post
I dont think Kubiak out game planned Zim, our MLB just cannot cover a TE. Keep in mind that even though the Texans offense was on the field for nearly most of the game they only scored 19 points. Had the offense been able to sustain a few drives the defense would have looked 10X better on the stat sheet.

Maybe if we would have run the ball more than 12 times????
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,751
Rep Points: 23152
bengals Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post
I think what this thread and the countless others about it doesn't say is.....

we're all assuming it's Marvin Lewis making personnel decisions.

What if it turns out he isn't? Do you still want him as GM?

I think not.
Not much of an assumption really. If you do not think it is then who is it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
basballguy's Avatar
basballguy basballguy is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glenn Heights, TX
Posts: 1,476
Rep Points: 2631
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Not much of an assumption really. If you do not think it is then who is it.
It could be Katie, or it could be the guy that poses has the GM, Mike Brown.

I dunno who's doing it. We all "think" it's marvin, but is it really? Not trying to start an argument, just point out we're all making a really huge assumption.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Ryan Mc Ryan Mc is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,941
Rep Points: 8926
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
How much of that talent arrived after lewis became the DC? Are you saying he had no say in the evaluation and or drafting of those players? Seriously .....these boards crack me up. He gets zero credit for anything good and ALL the blame for everything bad.
The Ravens have continued to be great at evaluating defensive talent since Lewis left them ... Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata and Terrell Suggs, for example, are great defenders drafted after Lewis left the organization. So, neither you nor I know how involved Lewis was in personnel decisions for Baltimore, but we do not that they've continued to be great at adding defensive talent since he left. So, it seems unlikely that it was incredible ability by Lewis to evaluate talent that made the difference to their D. If we make the reasonable assumption that Lewis has had more say in personnel decisions as head coach in Cincinnati than he did as DC in Baltimore, it's striking that during his tenure as Bengals head coach Baltimore have had way more success drafting Pro Bowl defenders than the Bengals have.

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 01-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
mbburch mbburch is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 160
Rep Points: 373
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
It's perplexing. People want him run out of town as the HC, but then want him to get a promotion? This place is confusing.
It would be a better fit for Marvin. Most of the improvement that the team has seen over the past 10 years is due to Marvin's off-the-field decisions. His game management abilities are average at best.

The people who want him "run out of town" as you say, are clueless IMO, and most of them were not Bengal fans in the pre-Marvin era. They have no standard of comparison. When Mike Brown was running the entire show, we were lucky to win any game; winning playoff games was not even a topic of discussion.

Marvin was the best thing to happen to this team in the past 23 years. He has brought us this far, but I think moving him to the GM position and promoting Zimmer to HC is the fastest way for us to reach the next level.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.