Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29349
Default Need Advice: I Just Wrote a Book

Okay, the hard part is over: I just wrote a book. It's a good one, too, if I do say so. Within its pages are all sorts of racy paragraphs about curves, friction, forces, heat, chemistry, relaxations, and even stuff about all one can do with mirrors. There are even lots of pictures describing every detail I describe in the text.

You pervs!

I just wrote a calculus textbook. What were you thinking?

So, um, has anyone on here ever published a book? I want to do this without using a pricey agent. I've had some of my scientific papers printed in academic and professional journals before but this is the first time I've ever written an actual book. Usually I'm a good planner but when I started this project I concentrated on explaining calculus as simply as I could but I kind of put the "How do I get this book published?" question on the back burner.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated and yes, I am fully aware I'm a nerd.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50632
Default Re: Need Advice: I Just Wrote a Book

Published, no. I've written a few and had some really bad luck with agents and publishers. So take my advice for what it's worth (very little) as it comes from a few friends who are published and from what I've experienced.

The good news is, you probably won't get an agent if you haven't published before. That's also the bad news. Agents take on some unpublished people, but it's not very often. They're sales people, essentially, and it's easier to sell a product that's got a track record. It's also the bad news because an agent expedites the process and normally gets you more money (granted, they take a portion of that).

There's a number of web sites you can use to get the info for who to contact at publishing houses specializing in text books. Go to their web site and follow how they want submissions. For every one it's gonna be different. Some want a synopsis, some will want a chapter by chapter outline, some will want the whole book, some will want just a few chapters. Find out how they want it and who to send it to. If you're sending it to the wrong editor, it's probly gonna get trashed.

Don't be bashful. In nonfiction, you've got to show why you're an authority by outlining work experience and any past publishing. Likewise, in any query letter, don't waste their time telling about how you once saved a man from choking on tofu or that you like to water ski.

Expect to make submissions and wait 1-6 months before hearing anything.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 3749

I'm not sure about textbook type books, but I write short fiction and a professor in college gave me a book guide to publishers. It is very detailed with full contact info and tips for getting your writing out there as well as some great reading about the business end of getting published. Mine has over 600 pages of publishers but is geared for fiction writers.

Anyway maybe the publisher of my book makes the same type book for your type of writing. The publisher I think is called Wtiter's Digest Books.

The website on my book is writersdigest.com. So maybe they have books on technical publications as well.

***EDIT** I just looked at their website and it looks like they have several books geared toward non-fiction but not sure about textbooks so maybe call them. http://www.writersdigestshop.com/nonfiction

My book is called Novel and Short Stories Writer's Market. So maybe searching with something with a similar name or call them. They might point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps. I have only had one story published to date but it won a minor award and I got some decent money for it. I'm working on more but have not been very disciplined lately. Anyway I have found my book invaluable.

Last edited by Mr.Stripes; 01-17-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24423

I've published 9 books. You need to see who does Calc texts. Check their websites. See what they want in terms of a prospectus. Write it up and send it in along with a couple of sample chapters.

They'll have some profs review it for them, and they'll get back to you in about a year.

Seriously though. It takes 4-6 months typically to hear anything definitive back from them.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 79476

Congrats on writing the book, Kettering! Good luck on getting published. I know little about it, but I suspect you will be able to get it published. You have the drive, persistence, intelligence and patience to get it done, bro!

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467

You guys are making me nervous with all this book writing talk!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Okay, the hard part is over: I just wrote a book. It's a good one, too, if I do say so. Within its pages are all sorts of racy paragraphs about curves, friction, forces, heat, chemistry, relaxations, and even stuff about all one can do with mirrors. There are even lots of pictures describing every detail I describe in the text.

You pervs!

So, um, has anyone on here ever published a book? I want to do this without using a pricey agent. I've had some of my scientific papers printed in academic and professional journals before but this is the first time I've ever written an actual book. Usually I'm a good planner but when I started this project I concentrated on explaining calculus as simply as I could but I kind of put the "How do I get this book published?" question on the back burner.

Calc Book? Awesome I took Advance calculus in High School... Do you need someone to check your work? lol just kidding.

So this a story about the Adventures of Tangents and Cosines with a surprise guest star Mr Derivative.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
I've published 9 books. You need to see who does Calc texts. Check their websites. See what they want in terms of a prospectus. Write it up and send it in along with a couple of sample chapters.

They'll have some profs review it for them, and they'll get back to you in about a year.

Seriously though. It takes 4-6 months typically to hear anything definitive back from them.
What are the names so I can read them?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1108

Good Luck!

I'm in the process of writing a fiction book, and I haven't seriously thought about the publishing process beyond my cousin being a free-lance writer and my managment prof owning a small publishing company (that only publishes his historical fiction books.)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53975

Quote:

You pervs!

I am sure any book you write will be popular among people with poor vision.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolomen View Post
Good Luck!

I'm in the process of writing a fiction book, and I haven't seriously thought about the publishing process beyond my cousin being a free-lance writer and my managment prof owning a small publishing company (that only publishes his historical fiction books.)
I have some great Ideas for a Book... But dont know if i can pull them off.. Ive done short stories... I just dont have the time to dedicate to such things at the moment.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21059

None of you people have written books. Stop lying.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

You pervs!

Calculus? Seriously, dude? People don't need that any more. Why waste your time learning that stuff when you can just buy a calculator?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13990

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Calculus? Seriously, dude? People don't need that any more. Why waste your time learning that stuff when you can just buy a calculator?
Was Calculus a Roman ruler or sumthin'?

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 45006

With the advent of e-readers and other mobile devices reading books you could always look into self-publishing as a E-book.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9083

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke0476 View Post
Was Calculus a Roman ruler or sumthin'?
I think he was Greek. Then again, anything above Algebra 2 was all Greek to me.

Serially, though, Fan-congrats on finishing a textbook-like project. If you want it to be a textbook, checkout Thomson's Publishing (formerly Southwestern Publishing). Further, perusing F&W Publication's website might be beneficial. They have writing contests every once in a while. I do believe, though, an agent is the best possible avenue for you.

ALL IN FOR ANDY

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-17-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
With the advent of e-readers and other mobile devices reading books you could always look into self-publishing as a E-book.
I am pretty sure that textbooks need publishers to sell them. There are lots of standards for school books and schools go to established publishers who they trust to supply them with books that meet these standards.

College texbooks are up to the professors choice as far as I know. Don't know how the marketing works for them.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 79476

Quote:
I am pretty sure that textbooks need publishers to sell them. There are lots of standards for school books and schools go to established publishers who they trust to supply them with books that meet these standards.

College texbooks are up to the professors choice as far as I know. Don't know how the marketing works for them.
Marketing for college textbooks = being a prof and making your students buy you your buddies books

Ghosts are the British way of "blaming the dog".
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 45006

Quote:

I mean, you are probably right about that.

However, you never know as things are going more mobile. Might be able to get a direct to teacher market. Also, figured he might be able to sell direct to students as a supplemental, too. I know my grad professors listed several supplemental books we didn't need but would help.

Anyway, just an idea.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1916

Quote:
This. +1
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7907

BIG congrats on not just writing a book but actually finishing it. I've started 3 books in my 47 years and would always stall around the 40-60% mark. I dont have any info on the next step I'm afraid, but you have alot to be proud of. I applaud you!!

Throw his way and get the FULL NELSON!!!

MEET MR. INTENSITY!!

Even Gronk don't want none of that!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

However, you never know as things are going more mobile. Might be able to get a direct to teacher market. Also, figured he might be able to sell direct to students as a supplemental, too. I know my grad professors listed several supplemental books we didn't need but would help.

Anyway, just an idea.
Shady will know. He is a professor and really has published books. He has even posted some of the stuff he wrote.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
You guys are making me nervous with all this book writing talk!
LOL. It's ok, RC. Kettering said his has pictures.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
Marketing for college textbooks = being a prof and making your students buy you your buddies books
I would NEVER do that.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fredtoast

Quote:

Anyway, just an idea.
Quote:
Shady will know. He is a professor and really has published books. He has even posted some of the stuff he wrote.
1. Pitch the book to 3-4 different publishers. Work the best deal (royalties) you can.

If I was publishing a math text, I'd start with Pearson, McGraw-Hill, Harcourt, Prentice Hall, Houghton Mifflin. Aim High!!

2. As for marketing, the publisher markets the book for you, but they seek your assistance.