Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645
Default Another Mock w/ free agency and est. cap figures

Re-signs +estimated contracts:
Andrew Hawkins(3yr/$3.5million)
Andre Smith(5yr/$40million)
Michael Johnson(5yr/$35million

Wallace Gilberry(3yr/$12million)
Pat Sims(1yr/$1.5million)
Thomas Howard(2yr/$5million)
Adam Jones(2yr/$2million)
Terence Newman(1yr/$900k)
Chris Crocker(backup)(1yr/$1million)
Jerome Miles(special teams)(1yr/$600k)
Josh Brown(2yr/$2million)
Kevin Huber(4yr/$5.5million)

Clark Harris(1yr/$1.5million)

Extensions:
Geno Atkins(6yr/$60million)

Est. Total:
$47,550,000 against the cap for the 2013 season.

Cut List:
Kyle Cook( -$2,500,000)
Dan Sanzenbacher (-$555,000)
Jamaal Anderson (-$2,500,000)
Dontay Moch(too much time injured)(-$649,696)
Jason Allen(-$3,700,000)
Taevon Rogers(-$480,000)
Brandon Ghee(always injured)(-$630,000)
Taylor Mays(-$575,000)
Robert Sands(-$550,000)

Total Savings: $12,139,696
New Cap Space Total:
$19,689,696

Free agent signings:

Danny Woodhead(4yr/$8million)- Good COP back that can also catch.
Daryl Smith(4yr/$16million)- Solid veteran linebacker that could take over the SAM spot.

Cap Space after FA signings: $13,689,696

Note: I wanted to sign a WR in FA, but there really aren't very many good choices that would present even decent value. Greg Jennings wants $11million+ per year, and Dwayne Bowe will be looking for something similar. Brian Hartline could be a viable option, but he says he really wants to stay in Miami, so we'd likely have to overpay. Finally, Amendola and Welker are used mainly as slot receivers, and that's not what we're looking for.
Anyway, on to the draft!

2013 NFL Draft:

21. Barret Jones, OC, Alabama- This guy is a do-it-all, no nonsense lineman that has the football intelligence and athleticism to make the Bengals Oline great. We finally end this disgusting 6year habit of only plugging in late-round picks and UDFAs at the OC spot and get a true blue chip player. Dalton will breath a sigh of relief.

37. Matt Elam, SS, Florida- Is great against both run and pass, showing off the versatility at the position that most teams look for. Solid, wrap-up tackler. Is a bit undersized(only 5'10"), but that shouldn't be of too much concern.

55. Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State- A fluid and explosive player with great range. Has good instincts, sniffing out plays and rarely misses a tackle. Though a bit undersized, he does well fighting through blocks. Could sit for a year behind Howard if necessary, but should be a great WILL for years.

86. Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers- An elusive back who's not afraid of contact. He's also a competent receiver out of the backfield. May lack the size to be an every down back until he adds a little weight, but he's very versatile and would be a great COP back for Green-Ellis. Compares very favorably to Ray Rice.

117. Adrian Bushell, CB, Louisville- Was recruited by and signed with Florida and was expected to be Haden's replacement. Instead, he followed his DC to Louisville where he is now a solid CB. Named All Big East 1st team, and is coming off his best season: 59tackles, 1int, and 11pdef. Also doesn't shy away from contact. Should be a good back-up and eventual starter.

151. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama- One of the best blocking TEs in the NCAA, Williams has been the blocker for 2 1st round RBs in his career, and is now blocking for a guy that will likely go in the 2nd round this year. He could also be a passing threat as well. Very similar to Reggie Kelly.

182. Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas- He does well as a running back and could possibly compete for some real playing time there, but he truly accels as a returner. Here's our much better replacement for Tate.

191. BPA

Estimated Total Combined Salaries for Draft Picks:
$7,500,000.
Cap Room at the start of 2013 season: $6,189,696

It's not perfect, especially having to roll with Sanu and M.Jones hoping that they develop, but I think this draft and FA puts us in a good place.

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304
Default Re: Another Mock w/ free agency and est. cap figures

Would like to see a WR in there..maybe at 86. One thing that sticks out to me is re-signing Sims. Still and Thompson have to get PT otherwise they will become wasted picks.
Nice effort with all you thought out in this regardless
Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29838

As many DBs as you are cutting I think you will need to add more in either the draft or free agency.

I also don't think they will cut Cook.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

i can appreciate the time and effort put into this but i very dislike this draft, free agent signings and cuts. I hope we go in the opposite direction of this off-season completely.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post

Extensions:

Est. Total:
$47,550,000 against the cap for the 2013 season.

Cut List:
Kyle Cook( -$2,500,000)
Jason Allen(-$3,700,000)
Taevon Rogers(-$480,000)
Taylor Mays(-$575,000)
Robert Sands(-$550,000)

New Cap Space Total:
$19,689,696

Free agent signings:

Daryl Smith(4yr/$16million)- Solid veteran linebacker that could take over the SAM spot.

Note: I wanted to sign a WR in FA, but there really aren't very many good choices that would present even decent value. Greg Jennings wants $11million+ per year, and Dwayne Bowe will be looking for something similar. Brian Hartline could be a viable option, but he says he really wants to stay in Miami, so we'd likely have to overpay. Finally, Amendola and Welker are used mainly as slot receivers, and that's not what we're looking for.
Anyway, on to the draft!

2013 NFL Draft:

21. Barret Jones, OC, Alabama- This guy is a do-it-all, no nonsense lineman that has the football intelligence and athleticism to make the Bengals Oline great. We finally end this disgusting 6year habit of only plugging in late-round picks and UDFAs at the OC spot and get a true blue chip player. Dalton will breath a sigh of relief.

37. Matt Elam, SS, Florida- Is great against both run and pass, showing off the versatility at the position that most teams look for. Solid, wrap-up tackler. Is a bit undersized(only 5'10"), but that shouldn't be of too much concern.

55. Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State- A fluid and explosive player with great range. Has good instincts, sniffing out plays and rarely misses a tackle. Though a bit undersized, he does well fighting through blocks. Could sit for a year behind Howard if necessary, but should be a great WILL for years.

86. Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers- An elusive back who's not afraid of contact. He's also a competent receiver out of the backfield. May lack the size to be an every down back until he adds a little weight, but he's very versatile and would be a great COP back for Green-Ellis. Compares very favorably to Ray Rice.

117. Adrian Bushell, CB, Louisville- Was recruited by and signed with Florida and was expected to be Haden's replacement. Instead, he followed his DC to Louisville where he is now a solid CB. Named All Big East 1st team, and is coming off his best season: 59tackles, 1int, and 11pdef. Also doesn't shy away from contact. Should be a good back-up and eventual starter.

151. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama- One of the best blocking TEs in the NCAA, Williams has been the blocker for 2 1st round RBs in his career, and is now blocking for a guy that will likely go in the 2nd round this year. He could also be a passing threat as well. Very similar to Reggie Kelly.

182. Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas- He does well as a running back and could possibly compete for some real playing time there, but he truly accels as a returner. Here's our much better replacement for Tate.

191. BPA

Estimated Total Combined Salaries for Draft Picks:
$7,500,000.

It's not perfect, especially having to roll with Sanu and M.Jones hoping that they develop, but I think this draft and FA puts us in a good place.

Thoughts?
I think you could improve this by finding a 2nd-tier WR in FA. We would still have the cap room. Some of those WRs are Massaquoi, Hixon, Kevin Ogletree, Steve Smith (StL), or Henderson.

Also, I think you'll need to boost the average yearly price some for Daryl Smith. His average salary with Jacksonville was $4,1166,667 (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonvi...s/daryl-smith/). He made $5.5 mill this past year alone and is considered one of the better FA LBs. Considering his age (31 by start of 2013 season), it may be better to offer him $15 mill over 3 years. But I do agree he would be a good fit at SAM.

As for Woodhead, it would be kind of interesting to see both BJGE and Woodhead as a tandem again. They worked well together in NE. I knew he was spry, but I never realized Woodhead ran a 4.33 40 time. I'm for it.

Draft could turn out pretty well too. If Elam's aggression can be harnessed properly like Burfict's was, we could have a real great player as our SS.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 01-16-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
i can appreciate the time and effort put into this but i very dislike this draft, free agent signings and cuts. I hope we go in the opposite direction of this off-season completely.
The complete opposite direction? You might not like the players I selected, but I'm not sure how you could totally disagree with the positions as well...

Either way thank you for recognizing my effort.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

yeah appreciate the effort bro but not a big fan either.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player is under contract and they get cut they still get paid and our salary cap still takes the hit, correct?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player is under contract and they get cut they still get paid and our salary cap still takes the hit, correct?
It depends on the contract. Most of them have clauses only guaranteeing a portion of a players salary. Most of them the guaranteed portion is in years one and two of longer term contracts.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
You're right. I knew that, but I don't think I showed that in the figures. Either way, aside from Cook, I don't think there'd be any real changes dollar-wise to that list. We'd still gain at least $10 million.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Extensions:

Est. Total: $47,550,000 against the cap for the 2013 season.

Cut List:
Kyle Cook( -$2,500,000)
Jason Allen(-$3,700,000)
Taevon Rogers(-$480,000)
Taylor Mays(-$575,000)
Robert Sands(-$550,000)

New Cap Space Total: $19,689,696

Free agent signings:

Anyway, on to the draft!

2013 NFL Draft:

191. BPA

Estimated Total Combined Salaries for Draft Picks: $7,500,000.

Thoughts?
I also appreciate your effort, but I have a hard time supporting a draft that is defensive early on with Elam and Brown being 2 of our first 3 picks.

Our defense needs tweaked. Our offense needs a ton of more talent. I don't disagree with the center pick in round 1 if the Bengals think he is gone by pick 37. However, I think he is available so Here is are my top 3 picks:

#21 - Eifert or Ertz (TE's from ND and Stanford) I would love for Dalton to have 2 great pass catching TE options.

#37 - From Raiders - Barrett Jones (center from Bama or if he is gone Monty Ball RB Wisconsin

#54 (believe it 54 since Saints forfeited their second round pick) - DJ Fluker OT - Alabama

I would not resign Rey M.. I would cut Jason Allen (if it saved cap dollars), Anderson, Mays, Clements (or not resign him).

I would resign Atkins (extend), MJ and Andres Smith. Also, Newman, Adam Jones, Howard,Sims, Crocker, Josh Brown, Huber, Gilberry and Harris

I would make the number two WR position a priority. I like Hartline and Amendola for value and adding an experience element to the team. We would also to hedge our bet by bring in a capable MLB in case Burfict is not the answer.

All of this would make me a very happy camper. I just hope whatever we do, we keep our defense in tact for the most part and make huge talent upgrades on offense first.

Edit; I think the Browns also gave up their 2nd round pick for Greg Little so our second 2nd rounder may be as high as #53.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 01-17-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I think you could improve this by finding a 2nd-tier WR in FA. We would still have the cap room. Some of those WRs are Massaquoi, Hixon, Kevin Ogletree, Steve Smith (StL), or Henderson.

Also, I think you'll need to boost the average yearly price some for Daryl Smith. His average salary with Jacksonville was $4,1166,667 (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonvi...s/daryl-smith/). He made $5.5 mill this past year alone and is considered one of the better FA LBs. Considering his age (31 by start of 2013 season), it may be better to offer him $15 mill over 3 years. But I do agree he would be a good fit at SAM.

As for Woodhead, it would be kind of interesting to see both BJGE and Woodhead as a tandem again. They worked well together in NE. I knew he was spry, but I never realized Woodhead ran a 4.33 40 time. I'm for it.

Draft could turn out pretty well too. If Elam's aggression can be harnessed properly like Burfict's was, we could have a real great player as our SS.
I'd definitely be for bringing in a vet receiver, if only for depth. I just couldn't pick one that I think would make an impact here that would also be worth $3-5million per season.

With Daryl Smith, his previous contract was pre-injury. Add his age into the mix and I think he'll be lucky to get $5million per season. He is one of the better FA linebackers though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did get $5+million.

That's what made me want Woodhead here. It would reunite a tandem that was successful in NE, and it would add an entirely new dimension to this offense.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I'd definitely be for bringing in a vet receiver, if only for depth. I just couldn't pick one that I think would make an impact here that would also be worth $3-5million per season.

With Daryl Smith, his previous contract was pre-injury. Add his age into the mix and I think he'll be lucky to get $5million per season. He is one of the better FA linebackers though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did get $5+million.

That's what made me want Woodhead here. It would reunite a tandem that was successful in NE, and it would add an entirely new dimension to this offense.
Woodhead would be an upgrade over Scott as the 2 back and Leonard as well. I would support adding him, but I still think we need to draft a running back in 1st 3 picks. I just don't see a need for Smith if we get Howard back healthy. Even id we lose Lawson and Rey, I really like Lemur. I just think we could spend 4 to 5 million a year on two positions versus one.

Last edited by Luvnit2; 01-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
I also appreciate your effort, but I have a hard time supporting a draft that is defensive early on with Elam and Brown being 2 of our first 3 picks.

Our defense needs tweaked. Our offense needs a ton of more talent. I don't disagree with the center pick in round 1 if the Bengals think he is gone by pick 37. However, I think he is available so Here is are my top 3 picks:

#21 - Eifert or Ertz (TE's from ND and Stanford) I would love for Dalton to have 2 great pass catching TE options.

#37 - From Raiders - Barrett Jones (center from Bama or if he is gone Monty Ball RB Wisconsin

#54 (believe it 54 since Saints forfeited their second round pick) - DJ Fluker OT - Alabama

I would not resign Rey M.. I would cut Jason Allen (if it saved cap dollars), Anderson, Mays, Clements (or not resign him).

I would resign Atkins (extend), MJ and Andres Smith. Also, Newman, Adam Jones, Howard,Sims, Crocker, Josh Brown, Huber, Gilberry and Harris

I would make the number two WR position a priority. I like Hartline and Amendola for value and adding an experience element to the team. We would also to hedge our bet by bring in a capable MLB in case Burfict is not the answer.

All of this would make me a very happy camper. I just hope whatever we do, we keep our defense in tact for the most part and make huge talent upgrades on offense first.

Edit; I think the Browns also gave up their 2nd round pick for Greg Little so our second 2nd rounder may be as high as #53.
Thanks.

Your mock has a lot of merit, and I wouldn't be disappointed if it turned out this way. I guess what I would like is to upgrade the SS, OLB, WR2, and C positions. However this gets done is irrelevant to me.
What I really don't want to happen though is for us to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd since we've already got so much youth at the position, and there are other needs that should be addressed. Taking a top TE though is something I could get on board with considering Gresham and his dropitis. The only thing that would concern me though, is Gruden(if he comes back), not using the 2TE sets often enough for the pick to be worth it.

Also, didn't know that about the Saints and the Browns.

Quote:
Woodhead would be an upgrade over Scott as the 2 back and Leonard as well. I would support adding him, but I still think we need to draft a running back in 1st 3 picks. I just don't see a need for Smith if we get Howard back healthy. Even id we lose Lawson and Rey, I really like Lemur. I just think we could spend 4 to 5 million a year on two positions versus one.
Daryl Smith, if healthy, is the best SAM backer available in FA. Now, if we re-sign Howard and draft somebody like Chase Thomas then I could see where Smith wouldn't be necessary. Lemur is a possibility, and he did show he can hold his own when he got a little playing time, but I'm not sure I want to put all my chips in on him as the starting SAM right now..

Last edited by shaolinghost; 01-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4373

Like many others have said, great job. I love the 1st pick and like the 2nd pick. Changes I would make to the draft.

1. Jones is spot on so no changes there
2a. One of these 3 will be there:
Werner
Okafor
Ansah
I would take whichever one was there. If all 3 are there then the order of top to bottom. I see you have MJ resigned and Gilberry as well, yet this should light a fire under Dunlap and make Geathers expendable.

2b. I like Elam as a prospect at this point, however if Lester is still on the board, then I like him a little bit more. However either one would be a nice addition. I would keep Mays around for ST and to for competition purposes.

3. Khaseem Greene or Gerald Hodges would be my choice here, though another good prospect that might still be around is Chase Thomas. The question is will 1 of these 3 fall to the 4th round? Could we maybe trade back up and get the other? Thomas as SAM and Greene or Hodges at WILL would be very nice to see for a few years to come. Though you do have Howard resigned, which makes Greene and Hodges a little bit less of a need for this year and next. You also have us picking up a LBer in FA. So Thomas wouldn't be a need either. This to me will be the hardest pick to grasp. I wouldn't grab LBer in FA and go draft. I like Arthur Brown but I feel he will be around come 3rd or 4th round. In a perfect draft for me:
Chase Thomas

4. Gerald Hodges somehow falls to us and we grab him. He is slightly better than Greene in coverage and that is what we need in the LBer position. To pair with Thomas.

5. Is where I would take a roll of the dice and go with Marcus Lattimore if he is still there. If healthy he brings more game than any RB projected ahead of him. If he still needs time, then no problem, BJGE would could take the lead role until Lattimore is ready.

6. Back to Back RBs? Yes and I would go with one of the 2:
Knile Davis
Christine Michael
with the edge going to Davis for his size and speed combination.

7. BPA: well if you feel one of the RBs will be there for this pick then you could switch them out with either Adrian Bushell or Michael Williams. CB or TE in the 6th round and then take one of those 2 with the last pick.

Now to clarify something. I know we need a MIKE LBer and that is why I wouldn't mind Ogletree or even Te'o in the 1st. Chase Thomas isn't needed as much if Burfict is put at the SAM spot. The 3rd round could be used to select Hodges or Greene. 4th round could then be used for a TE or CB.

so in short it would be
Jones
Werner or Okafor or Ansah
Lester or Elam
Hodges or Greene
Bushell (the CB you wanted)
Lattimore
Williams (the TE you wanted
Davis

Last edited by Cincy's Best; 01-17-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Your mock has a lot of merit, and I wouldn't be disappointed if it turned out this way. I guess what I would like is to upgrade the SS, OLB, WR2, and C positions. However this gets done is irrelevant to me.
What I really don't want to happen though is for us to take a WR in the 1st or 2nd since we've already got so much youth at the position, and there are other needs that should be addressed. Taking a top TE though is something I could get on board with considering Gresham and his dropitis. The only thing that would concern me though, is Gruden(if he comes back), not using the 2TE sets often enough for the pick to be worth it.

Also, didn't know that about the Saints and the Browns.

Daryl Smith, if healthy, is the best SAM backer available in FA. Now, if we re-sign Howard and draft somebody like Chase Thomas then I could see where Smith wouldn't be necessary. Lemur is a possibility, and he did show he can hold his own when he got a little playing time, but I'm not sure I want to put all my chips in on him as the starting SAM right now..
I just think Gruden and Dalton need a lot more weapons. The Pats have Hernandez and Gronk. I am still a big Gresham fan and my hope is both Green (worst receivers in AFCN with drops) and Gresham fix the dropped passes.

I love our young receivers also, but I think the one mistake we made was counting too much on the young guys. Surround Andy with weapons and I think he only progresses just like Brees, Brady and Rodgers have. We missed the boat on Jacoby Jones last year, I hope we don't make the same mistake twice.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3738

I really like what I see from the draft. I am unsure whether FO would go O-line once more in the first, I can see more a real defensive playmaker. I don't thing some of the DE projections are far off.

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11013

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Would like to see a WR in there..maybe at 86. One thing that sticks out to me is re-signing Sims. Still and Thompson have to get PT otherwise they will become wasted picks.
Nice effort with all you thought out in this regardless
They ought not play if they can't beat Sims. No one should e ver get a free pass simply because they were drafted and people want their drAafts to look good.

If they beat Sims fine, otherwise, re-sign him.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
I just think Gruden and Dalton need a lot more weapons. The Pats have Hernandez and Gronk. I am still a big Gresham fan and my hope is both Green (worst receivers in AFCN with drops) and Gresham fix the dropped passes.

I love our young receivers also, but I think the one mistake we made was counting too much on the young guys. Surround Andy with weapons and I think he only progresses just like Brees, Brady and Rodgers have. We missed the boat on Jacoby Jones last year, I hope we don't make the same mistake twice.
Is this worst by raw number or by percentage of passes?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...s/seasontype/2
AJ had 164 targets. The next AFCN receiver had 119 (Mike Wallace).
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Is this worst by raw number or by percentage of passes?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...s/seasontype/2
AJ had 164 targets. The next AFCN receiver had 119 (Mike Wallace).
By the numbers and not factoring in % of passes thrown to each. But the point is, AJ dropped 9 passes. That is way too much for a stud receiver and top 4 pick in my opinion.

People want to trash Gruden, but if you look at the Bengals game by game, our offense overall was not bad from a scheme standpoint. They had one game they did not run well (Steelers at Pittsburgh). The Bengals receivers led the AFCN in dropped passes. Scheme get guys open. Then it up to the QB to find them, deliver an accurate pass and for the receiver to catch it. Andy needs to improve accuracy (be more consistent in the under 25 yard range) and get much better on deep passes. The recivers need to catch the ball.

Did you know we had 5 drops against Dallas alone on 3rd down? Drops are drive killers that put us in bad down and distance situations leading to sacks or QB pressures.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
By the numbers and not factoring in % of passes thrown to each. But the point is, AJ dropped 9 passes. That is way too much for a stud receiver and top 4 pick in my opinion.
Drops by raw number is mis-leading.

He was targetted a lot more than other WRs, so it is logical that he would have more drops.

In addition, with a lot more pressure as the sole weapon, it makes sense that this would also attribute to more drops.

Add a running game, and I feel that AJ will have less pressure and less silly drops.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Did you know we had 5 drops against Dallas alone on 3rd down? Drops are drive killers that put us in bad down and distance situations leading to sacks or QB pressures.
We lost that Dallas game because of scheme, no question. The drops hurt, but they weren't the main reason we lost. BGE no getting carries in the 4th quarter when he was averaging over 6ypc was all on Gruden.

Another thing I don't understand is throwing long on 3rd and short. I can understand doing it once or twice so it's on tape, but it seemed like we did this way too often.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
As many DBs as you are cutting I think you will need to add more in either the draft or free agency.

I also don't think they will cut Cook.
I'm shoocked that you don't think Cook will be cut. I mean I'm floored.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
We lost that Dallas game because of scheme, no question. The drops hurt, but they weren't the main reason we lost. BGE no getting carries in the 4th quarter when he was averaging over 6ypc was all on Gruden.

Another thing I don't understand is throwing long on 3rd and short. I can understand doing it once or twice so it's on tape, but it seemed like we did this way too often.
We need to agree to disagree. The game would have been sealed if we don't drop 5 3rd down passes, two of which were by Green that cost us a TD versus a field goal (4 points) and the other a field goal as hew dropped a 25 yard pass that would have put us inside the twenty.

It was very poor execution by an all pro receiver and definitely not scheme that cost us that game.