Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2109
Default Draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round

I know you all say don't touch this guy and that he's undraftable. The truth is that he will be drafted and some team will take a flier on him early in the draft. If he's there at our 3rd round pick than we absolutely need to select him. This guy is a boom or bust, but just look at our 3rd round picks lately and just about all of them outside of MJ has had little to no impact on this team. Watching highlight tapes on him you just walk away saying "wow". You look at a guys like Holliday, Hester, and Harvin who changes games on just 1 play. Mathieu has that ability x10. If he can't make it on the defensive end I'm sure we can find a spot eventually to make an impact on the offensive side of the ball.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29596
Default Re: Draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round

He won't be there. If J. Jenkins can get drafted in the 2nd with his mountain of problems, Tyrann isn't getting into the third with his mole hill.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1787

I'd like the Bengals to take a chance with maybe a 5th or 6th, but not a 3rd. Let him be someone else's headache if they want to take him that early.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24334
bengals Re: Draft Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd round

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
I know you all say don't touch this guy and that he's undraftable. The truth is that he will be drafted and some team will take a flier on him early in the draft. If he's there at our 3rd round pick than we absolutely need to select him. This guy is a boom or bust, but just look at our 3rd round picks lately and just about all of them outside of MJ has had little to no impact on this team. Watching highlight tapes on him you just walk away saying "wow". You look at a guys like Holliday, Hester, and Harvin who changes games on just 1 play. Mathieu has that ability x10. If he can't make it on the defensive end I'm sure we can find a spot eventually to make an impact on the offensive side of the ball.
Could be one of the worst ideas I have ever heard on these boards.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I guess your happy with all of our previous 3rd round picks

Dontay Moch
Jordan Shipley
Brandon Ghee
Chase Coffman
Andre Caldwell

But your probably right taking a potential all pro player in the 3rd round is a mistake. Who cares if he turns into a bust. Check out these punt returns in the SEC championship game vs Georgia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF1xuc1XJRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBN0HimOLFM
Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
this
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

Dontay Moch
Jordan Shipley
Brandon Ghee
Chase Coffman
Andre Caldwell

But your probably right taking a potential all pro player in the 3rd round is a mistake. Who cares if he turns into a bust. Check out these punt returns in the SEC championship game vs Georgia

the dude will NEVER be a pro bowl player, he's all HYPE he was never as good as people thought he was. We won't draft him so please move along to someone else.

Plenty of GOOD returners with alot less heartache in the draft.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

Quote:

Dontay Moch
Jordan Shipley
Brandon Ghee
Chase Coffman
Andre Caldwell

I am not sure how you can grade this player out as a 3rd rounder at this point. He has been out of football for a year and who knows what kind of shape he will be in. He could come to the combine and weigh in at 275 pounds or run a 4.7. We really have no idea how he is going to preform.

With the above stated I think all he can ever be is a return man. He was way overated as a defensive player. There are plenty of other return men in the draft though that do not have the history this guy does.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10924

I wanted us to take Jenkins and we didn't, he was a lot more productive then the glass man that we drafted in the FIRST last year. I'd take a chance on Tyrann, maybe not in the 3rd though. The rest of our 3rd rounders were GARBAGE with the exception of one man.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Member

Shipley was far from GARBAGE, he just got injured.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
Almost like you would come in here and say that Janoris Jenkins wouldn't go before the 3rd or 4th round last year.

And this is pretty comical coming from a person like you posting about other people's substance in a post.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

Too much of a headache in my opinion. I don't think he will be drafted until the fifth round much less the third. Like someone said earlier, let him be some other team's problem.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
Almost like you would come in here and say that Janoris Jenkins wouldn't go before the 3rd or 4th round last year.

And this is pretty comical coming from a person like you posting about other people's substance in a post.
If you have not figured it out then I will spell it out for you .......I could careless what you have to say or what your opinion is of me. If you wish to discuss the topic at hand then fine otherwise ....STFU. Your internet tough guy routine is tiring. You try to provoke on a message board because in real life you would not have the balls to say it to anyone's face because you would be bytche slapped.

So to the topic at hand. It is a terrible idea as his only real value is as a returner. My opinion on him does not stem from his off the field issues as the did with Jenkins. Just another of your assumptions that is wrong. I see zero value in a pick used on a returner. If I were going to use a selection on a CB then there are several I would use it on prior to him.

Anything else?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Dontay Moch
Jordan Shipley
Brandon Ghee
Chase Coffman
Andre Caldwell

A 3rd on a returner is a waste. Many better CBs in this draft.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
For real.

Shipley was great.....he just got hurt.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 13

this guy will go undrafted... he will test positive for weed at th combine and no one will draft him... the guys got suspended by lsu for drugs and then arrested for the same thing when he was supposed to be in rehab... he just doesnt get it
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6494

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Agree 100%. He has a knack for getting seperation. As far as the Honey Badger, hes talented but the drugs might be a future issue.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47073

Quote:

What are you...on dope??

Spending a 3rd on Mathieu is a ridiculous idea. Especially since he will likely be useless to the team that drafts him, for his rookie season. Chances are that he's out of shape, been loafin' smokin' dope and eatin' cheetos, because he sure as hell didn't play any football this year.

Mathieu should be 6-7th round, or UDFA type of addition to the NFL. Imo, he is an injury waiting to happen.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
If you have not figured it out then I will spell it out for you .......I could careless what you have to say or what your opinion is of me. If you wish to discuss the topic at hand then fine otherwise ....STFU. Your internet tough guy routine is tiring. You try to provoke on a message board because in real life you would not have the balls to say it to anyone's face because you would be bytche slapped.

So to the topic at hand. It is a terrible idea as his only real value is as a returner. My opinion on him does not stem from his off the field issues as the did with Jenkins. Just another of your assumptions that is wrong. I see zero value in a pick used on a returner. If I were going to use a selection on a CB then there are several I would use it on prior to him.

Anything else?
I'll be in Vandalia tomorrow if you want to so called bytche slap me.

Also comical that you respond with a threat and internet thug tactic of telling me to STFU and telling me I would be "bytche slapped".

Oh and also great one please elaborate how you know the future and he would only be a punt returner. What does your crystal ball say about our future picks?

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41566

If the kid comes in and looks good at the combine I'd be down with throwing a 5th rounder his way. Unfortunately, he'd most likely be gone by then. Walter has him going in the 3rd to the Ravens.

Like I said last year when everybody wanted no part of Burfict: my fear would be that he goes to a team in the division.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

Shipley was anything but garbage. He got injured which ***** because I really think Andy Dalton and a healthy Shipley would have been a great combination. Shipley would have actually been a reliable third down option instead of brick-hands Gresham.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
I'll be in Vandalia tomorrow if you want to so called bytche slap me.

Also comical that you respond with a threat and internet thug tactic of telling me to STFU and telling me I would be "bytche slapped".

Oh and also great one please elaborate how you know the future and he would only be a punt returner. What does your crystal ball say about our future picks?
It is not a crystal ball. Why do you think all the talk is about return ability? How much talk have you seen in this thread in regard to defensive ability? He is not a top shelf CB. His strength lies in his abilities as a returner. Not something I would fancy using a 3rd selection on.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41566

Quote:
Why do you think all the talk is about return ability? How much talk have you seen in this thread in regard to defensive ability?
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...13tmathieu.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy
Mathieu has been an impact player since day one for LSU. Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman in 2010. He was one of the best defensive players in college football last year as a sophomore. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, having had a massive impact for LSU. Mathieu led LSU in tackles with 76 and also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. Additionally, he served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns.
Kinda just mentions the kick returning as an after thought.

Last edited by bfine32; 01-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3217

Why not with are track record with third rounders. Should go out and get one with some talent.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
It is not a crystal ball. Why do you think all the talk is about return ability? How much talk have you seen in this thread in regard to defensive ability? He is not a top shelf CB. His strength lies in his abilities as a returner. Not something I would fancy using a 3rd selection on.
You sound very uneducated or you have never watched the kid. He forced quit a few of turnovers in his career, including interceptions and forced fumbles.

He forced 11 career fumbles, 2 for TD's. Recovered 6 fumbles, and had 4 career INT's.

To consider him just a punt returner solely is biased and not fair.

Last edited by dr1441; 01-17-2013 at 06:59 PM.