Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

View Poll Results: Given the latest Te'o news, where would you take him?
21 23 21.90%
37 14 13.33%
53 15 14.29%
3rd round 11 10.48%
4th or later 10 9.52%
College Free Agent 4 3.81%
Wouldn't touch him 28 26.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: Te'o Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Don't we already have one of him?
This. He's just Rey with a haircut. Should be a 3-4 ILB in the leauge.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I wouldn't pick him, because as a fan, I just couldn't cheer for someone who would use a story like that to promote himself. It's sick. Punching a bartender or smoking herb is one thing. Tricking the entire nation by making up an elaborate story about a gf dying of cancer in order to gain sympathy for heisman votes is another. No thanks.
Speculation. Every last word.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37227

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
But they knew it was a lie.
It isn't like Armstrong legitimately thought he was taking multivitamins and THEN found out it was blood doping. Or Rose thought he was just playing Monopoly and then found out he was betting on baseball.

They knew the truth the whole time.
Te'o either knew the whole time or continued the lie after finding out it was a lie.
To what extent though is what I wonder.....Did he know a long time ago and was embarrassed he got taken for a ride, or did he really report it to ND as soon as he knew like their side of the story currently is?

What I do know is that if the kid can play, football is the best sport for this to happen to a guy in. If he can knock heads and be an outstanding MLB, which is what the expectation would be regardless if drafted high, then no one is gonna give two shytes whether he made it all up himself or not.

Who cares, he thought he was friggin Andy Kauffman in college, big whoop, dude knocks ppl the eff out on Sunday. Let's go.

Even if he himself made it all up, and we have no idea if that's the case, if I'm convinced that he fully intends to do major damage to opposing ball carrirers, and I'm convinced that he is able to do so....I draft him where I think his talent warrants and don't think twice.

This ain't baseball, you ain't got time to think about your problems out there. And stupid pranks don't get ya suspended.....So who cares really, no matter how weird it is.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Speculation. Every last word.
At this point, every theory is going to be speculation. But if you take the time to read the entire Dead spin story and use common sense, you'll realize that he knew about this, and he likely knew about it long before December 6th. He was friends with the guy who made Lela up. The fact that he avoided talking today said a lot too.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579

I think Te'o is gay and this is all a cover up unraveling.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 54312

Quote:
At this point, every theory is going to be speculation. But if you take the time to read the entire Dead spin story and use common sense, you'll realize that he knew about this, and he likely knew about it long before December 6th. He was friends with the guy who made Lela up. The fact that he avoided talking today said a lot too.
According to this, he kept talking about her after December 6th : http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...re-dame-011713
'Te'o was in New York for the Heisman presentation on Dec. 8 and, during an interview before the ceremony that ran on the WSBT.com, the website for a South Bend TV station, Te'o said: ''I mean, I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer. So I've really tried to go to children's hospitals and see, you know, children.''

In a column that first ran in The Los Angeles Times, on Dec. 10, Te'o recounted why he played a few days after he found out Kekua died in September, and the day she was supposedly buried.'

''She made me promise, when it happened, that I would stay and play,'' he said on Dec. 9 while attending a ceremony in Newport Beach, Calif., for the Lott Impact Awards
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 119

If they see a clear fit for him at any of our LB spots, I'd consider it at 21. The smoke seems to point to RB/Safety in some order for rd2, so if they have a plan there go ahead and take Te'o. He may be good value considering everything that has happened.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9070

Quote:
Exactly, we're all guessing, but common sense tells you he has to have known. Otherwise, we're supposed to believe that when a guy's girlfriend was in hospital dying of cancer he never once tried to visit her? Never once tried to reach out to her family to commiserate during that time or even after she died? That's simply not believable ... and obviously if he was simply the victim of a hoax then any one of those actions would have very quickly revealed the truth to him. All signs point to Te'o being the perpetrator of the con, not the victim of it. And IMO that's very disturbing behavior.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9125

The 18 people who voted to take him at 21 are just plain dumb.

1. He's wouldnt be an improvement over Mauluga.
2. He's a liar, and fooled alot of people.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Exactly, we're all guessing, but common sense tells you he has to have known. Otherwise, we're supposed to believe that when a guy's girlfriend was in hospital dying of cancer he never once tried to visit her? Never once tried to reach out to her family to commiserate during that time or even after she died? That's simply not believable ... and obviously if he was simply the victim of a hoax then any one of those actions would have very quickly revealed the truth to him. All signs point to Te'o being the perpetrator of the con, not the victim of it. And IMO that's very disturbing behavior.
Exactly, Te'o made it all up.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Exactly, Te'o made it all up.
Right, and maybe I went too far in describing it as "disturbing behavior", but at the very least it does require one really, really good explanation from him as to why he would do such a thing.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

.....and his buddy was behind the fake girlfriend's facebook page....for 3 years!

I wonder how many millions this is going to cost him in endorsements.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
To what extent though is what I wonder.....Did he know a long time ago and was embarrassed he got taken for a ride, or did he really report it to ND as soon as he knew like their side of the story currently is?

What I do know is that if the kid can play, football is the best sport for this to happen to a guy in. If he can knock heads and be an outstanding MLB, which is what the expectation would be regardless if drafted high, then no one is gonna give two shytes whether he made it all up himself or not.

Who cares, he thought he was friggin Andy Kauffman in college, big whoop, dude knocks ppl the eff out on Sunday. Let's go.

Even if he himself made it all up, and we have no idea if that's the case, if I'm convinced that he fully intends to do major damage to opposing ball carrirers, and I'm convinced that he is able to do so....I draft him where I think his talent warrants and don't think twice.

This ain't baseball, you ain't got time to think about your problems out there. And stupid pranks don't get ya suspended.....So who cares really, no matter how weird it is.
I'll say this: if he is given to perpetuating such lunacy, he just might be a handful on the field. After all, there really is no defense against insanity. Having said that, God knows what he'd be like in the locker room after awhile - crazy is entertaining for only so long.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

I'd look at him at 21. He was awful v. Bama but his body of work is impressive. Personally, I really don't care about his fake, dead girlfriend. He's pretty young and did something increadibly stupid. I'm sure he learned his lesson.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4064

And..........BOOM goes the conspiracy hoax. The man behind the catfish hoax comes clean and says Te'o had nothing to do with it, he was a complete victim here. Its sad you haters cling to rubbish like this to make a kid look even worse than what the real criminal has already done. All you people here should be ashamed of yourselves for jumping to conclusions and trying to kick a guy when he's down.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalHawk62 View Post
And..........BOOM goes the conspiracy hoax. The man behind the catfish hoax comes clean and says Te'o had nothing to do with it, he was a complete victim here. Its sad you haters cling to rubbish like this to make a kid look even worse than what the real criminal has already done. All you people here should be ashamed of yourselves for jumping to conclusions and trying to kick a guy when he's down.
Not at all, it just shows how easily people will believe something when they want to believe it badly enough. The story that Te'o had nothing to do with it and is the complete victim is simply not believable. To see why, pretend you're Te'o and answer this question for me:

OK, so you say you were duped into thinking you had a relationship with this woman, a woman you've said you actually spoke to on the phone for hours and hours. So, when you found out that she was in hospital dying of cancer (as the story went) why did you not ever try to visit her there?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22444

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
The 18 people who voted to take him at 21 are just plain dumb.

1. He's wouldnt be an improvement over Mauluga.
A couple Sunday's ago, a few friends, all of my brothers, and myself got together to play some football in the park. I brought my dog along. He felt the need to chase the person with the ball for some reason, and he even made a decent tackle.

Everyone was annoyed by my dog, but in the end....he's a much better Linebacker than Rey Maualuga. Saying that Te'o isn't better than him is like saying that water isn't wet.....that **** just ain't true.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Not at all, it just shows how easily people will believe something when they want to believe it badly enough. The story that Te'o had nothing to do with it and is the complete victim is simply not believable. To see why, pretend you're Te'o and answer this question for me:

OK, so you say you were duped into thinking you had a relationship with this woman, a woman you've said you actually spoke to on the phone for hours and hours. So, when you found out that she was in hospital dying of cancer (as the story went) why did you not ever try to visit her there?
Also, I've heard that Te'o knew this "woman" for 3 years and "dated" her for 1.

I have several questions that lead me to believe he was likely in on it:

1. How do you know/date someone that long without seeing them, or at least getting suspicious?

2. Why did Te'o insinuate that he'd seen or been with this woman?

3. Why did a former ND player say Te'o knew about it?

4. Why did he reference Kekua in 2 seperate interviews days after he supposedly found out about the ruse?

5. Why is he not talking now? If he were totally innocent, he should just come forward and tell his story. The longer he waits, the more it looks like his handlers are busy crafting a story.

6. He loves this woman so much that he's MIA for her "funeral"?

7. He was friends with the guy that perpetrated the whole thing?

8. He now claims he never met Kekua, but why were there so many stories about how they met after a ND game? Sports Illustrated ran a huge story about how Te'o and Kekua met and fell in love, yet Te'o didn't know about these stories? The stories had to come from Te'o's mouth, right? And if they didn't, you'd think he would've heard about it and gotten suspicious.

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalHawk62 View Post
Except for the annoying facts that Te'o specificaly said they had met up in Hawaii several times. And the fact that he allegedly knew it was a hoax and still told people his woeful sob stories. And I am absolutely certain that Te'o's upcoming huge payday had nothing to do with his family friend's Mea Culpa. yep nothing at all.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Also, I've heard that Te'o knew this "woman" for 3 years and "dated" her for 1.

I have several questions that lead me to believe he was likely in on it:
Unfortunately, the media seem to be a lot less inquisitive than you. They seem to be falling for and pushing the whole notion that Te'o was completely uninvolved without any regard for how little sense that explanation makes. Not a lot of inquiring minds in the media, I guess, they just parrot whatever they're told.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 721

I hope he falls to us at 21. One bad game against an O-line that has at least 3 first round picks on it doesn't end his career. As to the GF thing, who cares. Ray Lewis bopunced back from a murder charge and had a decent career.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12239

Sounds psycho.

Sign him up to play LB in the NFL !

No hope we do not touch him at all if he is proved complicit in this sick twisted ruse.

If proven 100% gullible fool. Maybe.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 657

Wouldnt have a problem with him in the second round
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37227

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
I'll say this: if he is given to perpetuating such lunacy, he just might be a handful on the field. After all, there really is no defense against insanity. Having said that, God knows what he'd be like in the locker room after awhile - crazy is entertaining for only so long.
I don't think he's known for that kind of crazy though.....the locker room disruption type.

But for the life of me, I can't figure why a dude who by any reasonable assumption could easily have been eyes deep in hot co-ed vag would ever bother with some stupid "online gf".

That just makes no sense to me whatsoever even IF he was the victim of a hoax. Unless he just wanted the attention of a GF with cancer for national media spotlight. Ya can't really talk about how often ya bang 'em three at a time in the media and get like, good publicity from it, lol......even though we all know that happens, a lot. Meh, why couldn't I have been fast, stupid 5 second forty time.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
I don't think he's known for that kind of crazy though.....the locker room disruption type.

But for the life of me, I can't figure why a dude who by any reasonable assumption could easily have been eyes deep in hot co-ed vag would ever bother with some stupid "online gf".

That just makes no sense to me whatsoever even IF he was the victim of a hoax. Unless he just wanted the attention of a GF with cancer for national media spotlight. Ya can't really talk about how often ya bang 'em three at a time in the media and get like, good publicity from it, lol......even though we all know that happens, a lot. Meh, why couldn't I have been fast, stupid 5 second forty time.
Right, wrong, or indifferent the whole thing is screwy enough to wave me off on the guy. At least for now. Even if he was the butt end of a really bad joke, the info coming out on him in general just tells me the kid might be a bubble off in ways you'd rather not have to deal with in the long run.