Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1855
Default Ogeltree?

Is he really the answer?
Alot of mocks have us taking him. I just think he is not there yet.
We need someone to come in and start right away.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2253
Default Re: Ogeltree?

Still extremely raw, but extremely gifted. If he was drafted he would most likely start at the Sam. Has great lateral quickness which would make him great in coverage, but will most likely struggle to shed lineman blocks early on.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2253

Run Defense

Ogletree's biggest asset against the run is his athleticism. He moves so well sideline-to-sideline and is able to track down the running back on sweeps and pitches. He's flexible and balanced, moving through the pile to get to the ball-carrier.

He does struggle at times against power runs up the middle, especially when a guard or the center comes up and engages him. Ogletree simply isn't strong enough at this point to get any push against them, and is often neutralized in these situations.

His awareness is solid, and he is quick in pursuit of the ball. He takes good angles on runs to the outside and is often the first or second defender to the ball. He leads Georgia in tackles right now even after missing the first four games of the season.

Instincts

Ogletree always seems to be around the ball. He keeps his eyes in the backfield while following his assignment or shadowing the running back, which allows him to make a quick break on the ball.

His experience at safety from high school helps him in coverage, where he is good at reading the quarterback and being in position to make a play. He is a heady player who recognizes what is developing in front of him and more often than not, puts himself in a good spot to make a play.

Versatility

For an inside linebacker, Ogletree is extremely versatile. He's able to drop back in coverage easily, and while he isn't an especially skilled pass-rusher, he can be disruptive in the backfield.

Ogletree could play any linebacker position. He is strong up the middle, quick around the edges, and athletic enough to cover the tight end or slot receiver.

Intangibles

The only major injury that Ogletree has suffered was a broken foot in the season opener in 2011, which has not seemed to cause any problems since he returned to the field.

Ogletree has had a couple off-the-field issues. He was arrested as a freshman for theft, and was suspended for the first game of the season. He was also suspended for the first four games of 2012 for an unspecified team rule violation.

On the field, Ogletree plays with a good motor. He is aggressive and always finishes the play. Doesn't back down to anyone, and seems to be fiery and competitive.

Projection

Ogletree isn't really built like a 4-3 middle linebacker (compared to Manti Te'o at 6'2", 255 lbs or Kevin Minter at 6'2", 242 lbs.). But he has room to put on some weight, and would be ideal as a 4-3 outside linebacker or 3-4 inside linebacker. I see him going in the 20s of the first round.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 148

We need a linebacker and I think he would be a good fit. Much rather have him over Te'o. But I wouldn't mind if the Bengals drafted Eddie Lacy with the first pick and waited to draft Chase Thomas later.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalRage View Post
We need a linebacker and I think he would be a good fit. Much rather have him over Te'o. But I wouldn't mind if the Bengals drafted Eddie Lacy with the first pick and waited to draft Chase Thomas later.
lacy isn't a 1st rounder and Thomas is not that good in coverage no thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Ogletree could be a decent weakside LB. I think that would be his best position. Not sure he could play the other two spots.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I'll give you Thomas, but I will diagree with you about Lacy. I really don't think he will make it out of the first round.

We can agree to disagree
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post

Projection

Ogletree isn't really built like a 4-3 middle linebacker (compared to Manti Te'o at 6'2", 255 lbs or Kevin Minter at 6'2", 242 lbs.). But he has room to put on some weight, and would be ideal as a 4-3 outside linebacker or 3-4 inside linebacker. I see him going in the 20s of the first round.
This exactly what I like to see. This would allow us to shift Vontaze Burfict back inside to MLB where he is comfortable. Vontaze in the Middle and Ogletree on the outside. There were a couple people questioning why I mocked him the first round and the reasoning is listed above. He will not make it to the second round when we pick. Draft this kid and lets watch him develop into a great Linebacker! It will be nice to watch a LB corp that knows what they are doing and being led by a leader. Burfict is going to be molded into the leader of the defense. Resign Howard as the veteran to look over them, Burfict as your defensive Captian and Ogletree on the outside becoming our next Odell Thurman!!!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM
VIP Member

Talking Re: Ogeltree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalRage View Post
I'll give you Thomas, but I will diagree with you about Lacy. I really don't think he will make it out of the first round.

We can agree to disagree
I'm not a huge fan of drafting Lacy so yeah.......
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1354

The bengals havent really drafted any raw boom or bust athletes in the first round in the past few years, which i like. It seems they focus more on safer picks. I'm not sure ogletree is or isnt the answer. I sure dont want Lacy in the first though.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 7

i believe he is the answer at mlb but needs to put on an extra 10-15 lbs of muscle and keep his speed.i also want to get him in the 2a slot.i think we will tag rey and alec can get up to speed for the position in the pros and replace rey early in the season.until then he can come in for rey on passing downs.i want to keep burfect at will with howard backing him up on passing downs.future starting lbs are:wlb-burfect mlb-ogletree slb:dion jordan.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of drafting Lacy so yeah.......
You make it known in every thread. We get it already.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
The bengals havent really drafted any raw boom or bust athletes in the first round in the past few years, which i like. It seems they focus more on safer picks. I'm not sure ogletree is or isnt the answer. I sure dont want Lacy in the first though.
I would say Andre Smith and Dre Kirk were both pretty boom or bust picks. The first a boom the later a bust.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519

Ogletree-Maualuga-Burfict would be fine by me; I know most hate the idea of bringing back Maualuga, but I'm for it. I'd still like to see Howard retained as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
I would say Andre Smith and Dre Kirk were both pretty boom or bust picks. The first a boom the later a bust.
Kind of hard to pronounce Kirkpatrick a bust already don't you think? If you went off just Smith's first year he would be labeled a bust as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneiderman99 View Post
Kind of hard to pronounce Kirkpatrick a bust already don't you think? If you went off just Smith's first year he would be labeled a bust as well.

this
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8519

Quote:
this
I second the second! How is Kirk a bust? He was injured almost the entire season. He didn't look lost when he was in and is likely to enter camp as the starter opposite Hall. So sick of seeing the bust label thrown out after one year. It's ridiculous.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105

He has character concerns.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 164

Id like the Ogletree pick in the first. It'd be nice to have a versatile MLB, especially with the pistol formation becoming a reality.

I saw a draft with ogletree at 21 that looked lovely and would have no complaints, well maybe one.

1 ogletree
2 elam
2 trufant
3 buchanan (not a fan) plus I liked other options here.
4 gillislee
5 ? can't remember

Could tweak draft:
1 ogletree
2 elam
2 trufant
3 gillislee
4 devin taylor
5 MIchael Williams TE
6 Lattimore
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6698

I am starting to get the feeling that we will have to trade UP to get Ogletree.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105

Quote:
Where do you get your info to make you such an expert. this is about the fourth of fifth thread that your Jimmy the Greek. Just joking man but your funny sometimes.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yarder View Post
He has character concerns.
Everyone has character concerns if you dig deep enough, some more than others. What of the choir buy Teo? Turns out he's a massive character risk. Until Ogletree pulls that move, beats down a bunch of people, or gets arrested a few times, "character" is a non-issue.

It's time for Raggedy Andy to go...
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneiderman99 View Post
I have been calling this for the last two years. I hope I am wrong, but fear I am correct. You are correct, it is very hard to call someone a bust after one year. I just hope you are correct that he doesn't turn out to be one.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11260

I like Ogletree. He has a lot of instincts and a very good defender. Would actually very much help out this defense, and is well worth the pick. He could definitely come in and be a starter right away, whether ILB or OLB.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmused View Post
Id like the Ogletree pick in the first. It'd be nice to have a versatile MLB, especially with the pistol formation becoming a reality.

I saw a draft with ogletree at 21 that looked lovely and would have no complaints, well maybe one.

1 ogletree
2 elam
2 trufant
3 buchanan (not a fan) plus I liked other options here.
4 gillislee
5 ? can't remember

Could tweak draft:
1 ogletree
2 elam
2 trufant
3 gillislee
4 devin taylor
5 MIchael Williams TE
6 Lattimore

1st ones not bad.