Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25184
Default Re: So when we draft a Safety high what....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
If you remember David Fulcher played a hybrid role for our defense where he basically was playing a LB position.

On the flipside how many 6'3" 230 safeties do you see?
Not many. But for a guy who is that big, he has always struggled being blocked. I don't think that would get any better at LB with bigger stronger guys getting on him more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
I think a sober saftey will be a better option they let T MAys fight it out with Iioka and Sands for roster spots.
Sands can go away and never come back.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3421

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Except that Taylor Mays isn't even a LB, he's a backup S, and a questionable one at that.

He is not a wrap tackler, he likes to capitalize on the "atomic hit" usually leading with his head. Most of his stops come when he can run straight up to someone that has just caught the ball, and make the hit before they turn and move. In the open field he gets juked, flat out.

He does not possess any of the instictual prerequisites of a LB, the ability to "break down" and follow the ball carrier's hips, to keep his head up and drive his hips through the tackle, the ability to read a play and be where the ball is going before it gets there.

It takes much more than being able to run fast in a straight line, and looking good in your underware to be a star in the NFL, and Taylor Mays doesn't have it. Face it, he's the freakin' Rey Maualuga of the secondary.

I'd say this is an accurate assessment. He has all the athletic ability but none of the intelligence to play the game. He makes poor reads, poor decisions and bone headed mistakes. And he does not tackle well. In short an athlete but not a football player.

Huddle report had him graded out at the 4th round for those reasons. They have McDonald rated much higher this year (1st round) - but he has a similar problem with tackling.

Big difference appears to be the football IQ.

So he's not likely to work out as a linebacker either.

Unconditional release sounds like the right solution to me.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2123

We dont want Mays at LB....

Backup Safety. Wouldn't be too bad as if he ever has to see the field, then well he has some experience of playing on the team.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post

Sands can go away and never come back.
I must have missed something.... What happened with sands?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCincinnatiKid View Post

Backup Safety. Wouldn't be too bad as if he ever has to see the field, then well he has some experience of playing on the team.
You know The kid loves to Hit Hard...

I say give him a shot @ FB
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2691
Default Re: Taylor Mays OLB?

Taylor Mays to the waiver wire!

Ian
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
True, as the NFL rules certainly do not favor him. He is at his best against "defenseless" receivers.
The one he got flagged on he hit a TE in the sholder.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321
bengals Re: So when we draft a Safety high what....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCincinnatiKid View Post

Is this because you say so?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Mats is good on STs. That's it.

I have more faith in Moch being on the field than putting Mays in there. Mays can make good hits. Cool. But those hits usually end up in 15 yard penalties anyway.

"Oh, he's gotten better throughout the year!". And how do you propose that? Because he wasn't on the field much?

Bring in Bacarri Rambo. He can force in turnovers, young, and can play safety altogether.

Draft Ogletree. Then either get Khaseem Greene, Sean Porter, or Gerald Hodges. That gives depth, talent, and also solidifies this defense even more.

Put Mays in STs. He can actually have an impact there.
You got a little mancrush on Rambo don't you?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20732

If he can be converted and used on third down, when TE's typically do the most damage against our D, at least he will not have been a waste.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4098

I don't think Mays would be a good linebacker. He has issue's shedding blocks on special teams and that is against teams backup's. Speed isnt everything. Why is Jeremy Miles the first person down the field on special teams? Because he is very fast at shedding his blocker.

But size wouldn't be an issue. He had trouble getting his weight down to 232 so adding a couple of pounds wouldnt be an problem.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8978

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Our linebacker situation is really bad.

Burfict..signed thru 2015
Lamur...signed thru 2015
Moch...who?...signed thru 2015
Schaffer...practice squad

Howard..FA
Lawson..FA
Maualuga..FA
Skuta..FA
Rey..Exclusive Rights FA

If we don't fill in with some bodies, Mays or someone else will have to play it.
we could draft 4 linebackers and i wouldn't complain
4th Brandon Ivory DT
4th Durell Eskridge S
5th Cedric Reed DE
5th Eric Murray CB
6th Malcolm Brown RB
7th Derrick Malone LB
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2123

Quote:
You know The kid loves to Hit Hard...

I say give him a shot @ FB
Im all for trying him somewhere in preseason. I dont think he's so special at safety that we're risking much. If we can get good use out of him then great, im really not sure its at linebacker though. Maybe as a run-stuffer so he cant get juked in the open field, but thats about it for me.

Quote:
Indeed it is. Like it usually is on internet forums. You post things that happen to be your opinion. Tis the way they work my friend
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
A Saftey playing Linebacker worked well for the bears.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 40

we could draft 3 linebackers and i wouldn't complain
Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiackat View Post
we could draft 3 linebackers and i wouldn't complain
We dont need 3 unless your looking at backups too..

Howard Should return
Burfict
Lemur
Probly Retain Skuta
V Rey
Moch

So need 1 or 2 more And This Brandon Joiner Kid could be in the mix as well as Evans.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 517

My posting record shows that I have never been a fan of Mays, even back during his draft year people were drooling over him and I was screaming "Nooooooooo".

- Stiff hips, straight-line speed, closing speed
- Big hitter, not a wrap tackler
- Good short-zone pass defense, average man coverage

His skill set wasn't a good fit for the team with personnel we had at the time he was entering the draft.

Oddly enough, I have somewhat changed my tune since then but not because of personnel...

Any any rate, If you want to see this dude excel in our system-- you don't move him to SLB, just have him in at SS on short yardage downs from Nickel or Dime and run a cover 1 shell. This moves the SS up closer to the line essentially in the SLB role.

This solves a number of problems with him limitations and plays off of his strengths:

Given that setup:

Nth and Short, Pass: Mays drops straight back into over/top right side deep zone. He just has to read the QB and make his drop-- the speed really helps A LOT. He's one of the few guys in the league at the position I believe can do it. This is FAR different from playing the standard SS deep zone because he won't be looking into the backfield and also trying to stay on top of 1-2 WRs trying to go deep.

Nth and Short, Run: No gap responsibility means his less-than-true-linebacker-strength is a non-issue. And the giant positive is that though you DO have a guy with the size and strength required to not get trucked over in the run game.

My experience tells me that this works very well with guys like Mays
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_threat View Post
My posting record shows that I have never been a fan of Mays, even back during his draft year people were drooling over him and I was screaming "Nooooooooo".

- Stiff hips, straight-line speed, closing speed
- Big hitter, not a wrap tackler
- Good short-zone pass defense, average man coverage

His skill set wasn't a good fit for the team with personnel we had at the time he was entering the draft.

Oddly enough, I have somewhat changed my tune since then but not because of personnel...

Any any rate, If you want to see this dude excel in our system-- you don't move him to SLB, just have him in at SS on short yardage downs from Nickel or Dime and run a cover 1 shell. This moves the SS up closer to the line essentially in the SLB role.

This solves a number of problems with him limitations and plays off of his strengths:

Given that setup:

Nth and Short, Pass: Mays drops straight back into over/top right side deep zone. He just has to read the QB and make his drop-- the speed really helps A LOT. He's one of the few guys in the league at the position I believe can do it. This is FAR different from playing the standard SS deep zone because he won't be looking into the backfield and also trying to stay on top of 1-2 WRs trying to go deep.

Nth and Short, Run: No gap responsibility means his less-than-true-linebacker-strength is a non-issue. And the giant positive is that though you DO have a guy with the size and strength required to not get trucked over in the run game.

My experience tells me that this works very well with guys like Mays
I think mays Should be our 3rd Saftey in our 3 Saftey Packages and the Run Supporter when hes in. I hope he gets another shot to compete for the SS position maybe another year of learning helps him get it.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 517

Quote:
I think mays Should be our 3rd Saftey in our 3 Saftey Packages and the Run Supporter when hes in. I hope he gets another shot to compete for the SS position maybe another year of learning helps him get it.
Lord Almighty-- if we played a Nickel 3-3 or 46, Mays would be super star on this team.

Edit: I have no idea why we don't try a Nickel 3-3 now that Pat Sims is getting up to speed

Last edited by zero_threat; 01-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6645

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
He;s not talented
Maybe not in football or safety terms, but physically, he's very talented.

Can't deny that man his athleticism.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 280

I agree, he can hit like a monster. He's got great explosion. You'd could bring him in on situational downs as a speed-rush guy. He struggles in coverage, but as a linebacker he wouldn't have as many or deep coverage assignments. He's already 230 ponds +. If Emmanuel Lemur was able to make the transition from college safety to NFL linebacker in just this year, I think it'd be incredibly interesting to see Mays get an opportunity there. Brian Urlacher and Thomas Davis are two huge names who made the transition from oversized athletic college safety to NFL linebacker. If only the staff had the vision to see the possibility of success for Mays at the position instead of continuely forcing the idea that all of his athletic potential screams safety. At least try him LB and see if all of that athletic freakishness could be tapped into.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7571

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before but why not again being a new off season and all?
If they draft a S and add one via FA would Mays be able to bulk up and play on the outside?
Not sure what his current size is but most of us have seen the picture of him and USC's LBer cops from a few years back.
It's not like the team is getting a lot of production from him at S and the move could give the team some speed and athleticism at the position.
Well, put me down for being against it.....We have a very good defensive line.....We need a very solid group of linebackers.....Moving a safety to linebacker isn't solid, we can do better...we can do alot better.....We need 3 real linebackers dominating as the 70s Steelers had or the 80s Browns. We can do it...we don't have to put safeties at linebacker.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 94
Default Can we move Mays to LB?

I was just thinking out loud. The guy is a beast in run coverage and is always ready to deliver the big hit. His coverage skills are not good enough at safety but may be okay for a LB. What do you guys think?
3. Khaseem Greene LB
4. Leon McFadden CB
5. Chris Faulk OT
6a Tyrann Mathieu CB
6b. Patrick Lonergan C
7a. Michael Williams TE
7b. Marcus Davis WR
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8718
Default Re: Can we move Mays to LB?

I think there was a thread like this before, or maybe a conversation inside an LB thread. Mays isn't big enough and if he bulks up, he won't be fast enough. Strong safeties and outside backers usually cover the TE or the RB out of the backfield. If he couldn't cover them at safety, how is moving him to backer going to help? Leave him at strong and find a DB coach to help him get better in coverage. Or move him to free so he's not responsible for any one receiver. He has the speed to cover sideline to sideline.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535
Default Re: Can we move Mays to LB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willminus2 View Post
I was just thinking out loud. The guy is a beast in run coverage and is always ready to deliver the big hit. His coverage skills are not good enough at safety but may be okay for a LB. What do you guys think?
Said it during the season and got flamed.......I think it is worth a try before we cut him. With the way the league is now with freak TEs and pass catchers out of the backfield you need smaller quicker LBs. I think he could play on the weak side and as the nickle in passing situations.