Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 536
Default Andre Smith gun arrest

Just saw on the noon news Andre just got arrested for a gun in his carry on bags.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244
Default Re: Andre Smith gun arrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Just saw on the noon news Andre just got arrested for a gun in his carry on bags.
checked the wrong bag... Doh
Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
checked the wrong bag... Doh
I hope it was that simple
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I hope it was that simple
Doesnt matter the reasoning they seriously frown apon guns on planes now a days...

But this is extremely familiar to what happened to the Browns DT that we wanted here. Rodgers? idk cant remember his name now.

Took a gun thru an airport said he forgot it was in the bag. Dont think he got into to much trouble.

Last edited by XenoMorph; 01-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15335

And so it begins. Good news is, it should help re-sign him.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24442

Idiot! Plain and simple. At least this will drive down the price of his extension.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 517

I imagine it was. Most people don't realize that it is completely lawful and legal to fly to your destination with a firearm, as long as you follow all the proper TSA procedures and stow it in checked baggage. You don't even need a CHL/CCW to check a firearm with your baggage .

He'll be fine as long as the gun isn't somehow illegal, which I imagine it is most likely not. The arrest is purely procedure.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Idiot! Plain and simple. At least this will drive down the price of his extension.
No, he's not an idiot. He's smart in the first place for carrying a firearm for self-defense. Simple mistakes happen. I can't tell you how many times I've had "oh ****" moments while carrying firearms because carrying it becomes second nature. Those moments being, I'm headed into the post-office/BMV/Other Federal building, stepping out of the car and then heading back after realizing I have to disarm myself.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_threat View Post
I imagine it was. Most people don't realize that it is completely lawful and legal to fly to your destination with a firearm, as long as you follow all the proper TSA procedures and stow it in checked baggage. You don't even need a CHL/CCW to check a firearm with your baggage .

He'll be fine as long as the gun isn't somehow illegal, which I imagine it is most likely not. The arrest is purely procedure.
My thinking... Too... packed the gun in the Wrong bag..

$1.00 says he never does that again.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1512

Quote:
No, he's not an idiot. He's smart in the first place for carrying a firearm for self-defense. Simple mistakes happen. I can't tell you how many times I've had "oh ****" moments while carrying firearms because carrying it becomes second nature. Those moments being, I'm headed into the post-office/BMV/Other Federal building, stepping out of the car and then heading back after realizing I have to disarm myself.
Are you a multi-millionaire? If not then it's not a fair comparison IMO.

No reason for highly paid professional athletes to be driving and not hiring a body guard/ chauffeur. That's why arrests like DUI or this happen.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6645

Quote:
After reading this thread, your name is hilariously paradoxical.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1512

Quote:
Only wealthy people should defend themselves because only rich people are victims of violent crime?

Think before you speak man.
Not at all what I'm saying. You really shouldn't take things so personally. You're entitled to carry I'm not arguing that point.

I'm saying there is no reason for a highly paid (rich) athlete to put themselves in positions to get into trouble when they can afford people to handle those things for them. Be it driving under the influence, carrying a gun, bar fights, etc. A lot of these arrests would not happen if they had a body guard/ chauffeur.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54113

First of all there is nothing wrong with Dre carrying a gun to protect himself. I don't carry a gun, but I have no problem with people who do.

However those acting like it is "no big deal" that he just forgot where his gun was are way out of line. This is exactly how innocent children get killed accidently with guns that the owner "just forgot" to lock away or secure.

if you ever get busted for "just forgetting" where your gun was then you should no longer be allowed to cary one.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Wcpo web site is now saying that he had the gun on him. It's not clear, forgeting it in a carry on can happen, I sure hope he didn't have it in his pocket walking thru the line.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Don't make too many assumptions about the gun. Just because he forgot it was in his bag, does not mean he didn't not properly unload it before hand.

Also, guns do not "go off" and just kill people. Any responsible gun owner takes all the necessary steps to secure their firearms and keep them out of reach of those who should not have access to them.

You guys don't carry guns so I don't expect you to understand. Simple mistakes happen. That is why operators train rigorously and always adhere to the rules of firearm safety. If you follow the first three rules all the time, no one gets hurt.

Firearms debates are always a bad idea, especially with uninformed individuals.

Don't hate on a man for being a public figure and making a simple mistake. You guys really have no clue and expect a man to be Jesus Christ just because he plays on a football team. Grow up (@need2mellowout).
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 342

Meh don't care he was arrested for this. I am glad and proud he carries opposed to being against guns. TSA is a PITA and sounds like a simple forgot to check it in type thing.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Don't make too many assumptions about the gun. Just because he forgot it was in his bag, does not mean he didn't not properly unload it before hand.

Also, guns do not "go off" and just kill people. Any responsible gun owner takes all the necessary steps to secure their firearms and keep them out of reach of those who should not have access to them.

You guys don't carry guns so I don't expect you to understand. Simple mistakes happen. That is why operators train rigorously and always adhere to the rules of firearm safety. If you follow the first three rules all the time, no one gets hurt.

Don't hate on a man for being a public figure and making a simple mistake. You guys really have no clue and expect a man to be Jesus Christ just because he plays on a football team. Grow up.

Again, I have no problem with responsible people being allowed to go armed.

But to act like forgetting where you left your gun is "no big deal" shows me that you are the one who is uninformed about the consequences of such an action and needs to "grow up".
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2mellowout View Post
Not at all what I'm saying. You really shouldn't take things so personally. You're entitled to carry I'm not arguing that point.

I'm saying there is no reason for a highly paid (rich) athlete to put themselves in positions to get into trouble when they can afford people to handle those things for them. Be it driving under the influence, carrying a gun, bar fights, etc. A lot of these arrests would not happen if they had a body guard/ chauffeur.
Again, you're naive and just borderline stupid if you think a person can just hire someone to be there 24/7. You have to take responsibility for your own safety, regardless of social status.

You also act like this is some huge detriment to his character and the team. This **** happens 100 times a day in airports across the country and you're only hearing about it because he's on your local sports team.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Again, I have no problem with responsible people being allowed to go armed.

But to act like forgetting where you left your gun is "no big deal" shows me that you are the one who is uninformed about the consequences of such an action and needs to "grow up".
Again, you have to consider he had two identical looking bags and checked the wrong one with a legal, properly unloaded firearm.

THAT IS NOT UNSAFE NOR IRRESPONSIBLE. To claim otherwise is reaching and assuming WAY too much.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Don't hate on a man for being a public figure and making a simple mistake. You guys really have no clue and expect a man to be Jesus Christ just because he plays on a football team. Grow up (@need2mellowout).
I also have a conceal carry permit. I only time I "carry" is when I'm at my farm in south Tx. You need to step down off the soap box. There are a lot more folks here that agree with you than you think. The reason for my tread was " here we go again". National news for all the wrong reasons again.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15335

I've learnt a lot the last month about gun ownership and how passionate people are about it. Next time someone blows the horn at me for driving too slow, I better speed up. Lord knows what they may be packing.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Again, you have to consider he had two identical looking bags and checked the wrong one with a legal, properly unloaded firearm.

THAT IS NOT UNSAFE NOR IRRESPONSIBLE. To claim otherwise is reaching and assuming WAY too much.
Link to facts.

Because I know a "responsible" person like you would not just make something up in order to support gun owners. (Who was it that said something about a gun debate with the UNINFORMED INDIVIDUALS?)

BTW yes it is unsafe and irresponsible. If you don't think it is important to know where your gun is then you probably shouldn't be allowed to carry one.

Last edited by fredtoast; 01-18-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I also have a conceal carry permit. I only time I "carry" is when I'm at my farm in south Tx. You need to step down off the soap box. There are a lot more folks here that agree with you than you think. The reason for my tread was " here we go again". National news for all the wrong reasons again.
What you just quoted was all directed at one individual (@need2mellowout)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What you just quoted was all directed at one individual (@need2mellowout)
No bud that's for you.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2mellowout View Post
Are you a multi-millionaire? If not then it's not a fair comparison IMO.

No reason for highly paid professional athletes to be driving and not hiring a body guard/ chauffeur. That's why arrests like DUI or this happen.
Thats a great way to be broke when your done playing