Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8122
Default Not just the Steeler D getting old and worn out?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...in-first-round

Steeler GM Kevin Colbert said the team could see a major roster shakeup during the offseason. He said NO position was off limits. Could it be the end of the Steelers as we know them?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1608
Default Re: Not just the Steeler D getting old and worn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sharp View Post

Steeler GM Kevin Colbert said the team could see a major roster shakeup during the offseason. He said NO position was off limits. Could it be the end of the Steelers as we know them?
How do you know this shakeup is necessarily bad, huh? Do you realize that the Steelers have historically groomed their young, unknown players into superstars? They've done it for years! Pretty consistently, I might add. To the Steelers franchise, no ONE PLAYER makes or breaks the Steelers. They're kind of the embodiment of TEAM success.

I don't know... I wouldn't underestimate the Steelers if I were you.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 59493

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan4ever View Post
groomed their young, unknown players into superstars?
In that respect they take after the Bengals.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Palmer, fat tackle Smith and wire mouth Rivers were all top 10 draft picks.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
In arrests maybe.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sharp View Post

I think the Steelers will definately be rebuilding this year. They are already $10 million over the cap, have several key players headed to UFA, and are looking at axing a couple of overpaid veterans like Harrison and Colon.

Personally, Colbert misjudged the window with this current group. He mortgaged the future trying to keep them together for one more SB run, and they started falling apart. Realistically, their 12-4 record last year was the result of an extremely soft schedule, and a loss in the playoffs to the Broncos, QB'd by Tim Tebow of all people, should have been the first warning sign that the window was shut. Colbert ignored that, shoved a bunch more cap money off into future years, and the Steelers continued to degenerate this year.

I highly doubt the Steelers take a QB in round 1, though. However, I can definately see them taking one in the 2nd or 3rd. Ben simply cannot stay healthy throughout a 16 game schedule anymore. His play style has caught up with him, and he's been hurt at the end of the last two seasons. He often plays through the pain, but now, the injuries are getting more serious and are definately affecting his game. How many more years does the guy have in him? He should be in the prime of his career, but he's getting banged up like a 35 year old. If he's not reliable to stay healthy, then you have to start looking at the future, particularly with the large contract Ben has.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34500

I hope so. I've been saying for a couple of years I would like to see some rebuilding. I'm willing to not watch any playoff games for that to happen. It's something the team needs.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27524

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan4ever View Post
How do you know this shakeup is necessarily bad, huh? Do you realize that the Steelers have historically groomed their young, unknown players into superstars? They've done it for years! Pretty consistently, I might add. To the Steelers franchise, no ONE PLAYER makes or breaks the Steelers. They're kind of the embodiment of TEAM success.

I don't know... I wouldn't underestimate the Steelers if I were you.
Their Drafting has gone way downhill since tomlin took over. Either that or they arent grooming them nearly as well...

Steelers will be Decent as long as they have **** Lebeau.. once that dude retires though who knows what will happen.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
I think the Steelers will definately be rebuilding this year. They are already $10 million over the cap, have several key players headed to UFA, and are looking at axing a couple of overpaid veterans like Harrison and Colon.

Personally, Colbert misjudged the window with this current group. He mortgaged the future trying to keep them together for one more SB run, and they started falling apart. Realistically, their 12-4 record last year was the result of an extremely soft schedule, and a loss in the playoffs to the Broncos, QB'd by Tim Tebow of all people, should have been the first warning sign that the window was shut. Colbert ignored that, shoved a bunch more cap money off into future years, and the Steelers continued to degenerate this year.

I highly doubt the Steelers take a QB in round 1, though. However, I can definately see them taking one in the 2nd or 3rd. Ben simply cannot stay healthy throughout a 16 game schedule anymore. His play style has caught up with him, and he's been hurt at the end of the last two seasons. He often plays through the pain, but now, the injuries are getting more serious and are definately affecting his game. How many more years does the guy have in him? He should be in the prime of his career, but he's getting banged up like a 35 year old. If he's not reliable to stay healthy, then you have to start looking at the future, particularly with the large contract Ben has.
Lol. You do know Pittsburgh will restructure Timmons, Woodley, Ben, and brown and be millions under the cap, right? And that doesn't even count cutting/resigning Harrison since he's 10 million against the cap. We are in MUCH better shape than last year.

Of course you didn't. Shocking you would take all the "negative" stuff Colbert said verbatim but when he specifically says the cap is fine, you zone out into bungal land.

Also, lol at using our first round exit last year as "the first warning sign". Can you recall the last time the bengals even won a playoff game.

Warning signs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2
QB pressures are better than sacks.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Their Drafting has gone way downhill since tomlin took over. Either that or they arent grooming them nearly as well...

Steelers will be Decent as long as they have **** Lebeau.. once that dude retires though who knows what will happen.
Yeah, pro bowlers and all pro players like wood, Timmons, brown and pouncey are indicative of terrible picks.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
I hope so. I've been saying for a couple of years I would like to see some rebuilding. I'm willing to not watch any playoff games for that to happen. It's something the team needs.
Just to be clear, you want the steelers to scrap their team (even at the cost of playoff games) if it mean what? Playoff games years from now?

this team had the number 1 defense in the nfl and a franchise qb. Absolutely no rebuild needed. Just a few tweaks. Have faith, man. We aren't the bengals

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24136

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
Palmer, fat tackle Smith and wire mouth Rivers were all top 10 draft picks.
Fat tackle Smith is a stud. Better than anything on the Steelers' line.

The steelers need to go into full blown rebuilding mode. They used to be good at grooming players so that they were ready to replace aging vets, but at this point I don't see who's going to replace Troy, Harrison or Hampton. The o-line is in shambles and lots of questions at WR and RB. Plus you still have Todd Haley and Ben butting heads. It's a mess really. Not hating, that's just my honest take.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

The steelers need to go into full blown rebuilding mode. They used to be good at grooming players so that they were ready to replace aging vets, but at this point I don't see who's going to replace Troy, Harrison or Hampton. The o-line is in shambles and lots of questions at WR and RB. Plus you still have Todd Haley and Ben butting heads. It's a mess really. Not hating, that's just my honest take.
I was waiting on someone to bring up that Andre smith, who was drafted 6 and isnt even good enough to play left tackle (or make a single probowl) is better than 3 time all pro (in his first 3 years) pouncey.

Homers gonna home, I suppose.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24136

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggyDigital View Post
I was waiting on someone to bring up that Andre smith, who was drafted 6 and isnt even good enough to play left tackle (or make a single probowl) is better than 3 time all pro (in his first 3 years) pouncey.

We had a pro bowl left tackle (Andrew Whitworth, the guy that owns James Harrison) when Andre was drafted. Duh. Andre was rated the top right tackle in the league by PFF. Not sure I'd trade that for a center. I guess you could make an argument either way, but the point is that Andre is one heck of a player, and it was silly to list him as an example of the Bengals drafting poorly.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12845

Quote:
Yeah, pro bowlers and all pro players like wood, Timmons, brown and pouncey are indicative of terrible picks.
Brown and Pouncey are horribly overrated.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Lol. You do know Pittsburgh will restructure Timmons, Woodley, Ben, and brown and be millions under the cap, right? And that doesn't even count cutting/resigning Harrison since he's 10 million against the cap. We are in MUCH better shape than last year.

Of course you didn't. Shocking you would take all the "negative" stuff Colbert said verbatim but when he specifically says the cap is fine, you zone out into bungal land.

Also, lol at using our first round exit last year as "the first warning sign". Can you recall the last time the bengals even won a playoff game.

Warning signs!!!!
Why in the world would the Steelers continue to restructure contracts to turn base salary into bonus money and shove it off into future years to keep a core together that isn't good enough to make the playoffs while facing the 7th easiest schedule in the league to boot? I get it if you feel that you're on the cusp of a SB title, say you got beaten in the AFCG or something. However, doing that after 8-8 with a patsy schedule and an aging roster screams of a guy that's trying to hold on too long.

The other issue is that the more they do this, the more they make the players they do it with virtually uncuttable, as the acceleration of bonus money would kill them. For example, why would they want to do that with Woodley, who's coming off a very poor year with only 4 sacks? Why would they want to do that with Ben, who is becoming more and more injury prone?

The Steelers will get down under the cap, but a lot of that will have do with axing guys like Colon and Harrison. If they keep mortgaging their future cap, then they are frankly stupid.

As far as you guys getting Tebowed, yeah, it should have been a warning sign. You guys had a veteran team of which most of the key players had played in at least two SB's and won 1, and you get beat in the first round by Tim Tebow? That should be a sign right there that you're slipping. You guys don't do anything, delude yourselves into thinking you still have a top tier talent roster, shove a bunch of cap money off into future years, and go 8-8 with one of the easiest schedules in the league.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Pouncey is so all pro, that you don't even notice it when Legursky comes in to replace him when he has a seat with a hangnail.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
There are bengal fans who insist this year's Steelers draft was a bust because DeCastro got hurt. You used a top 10 pick on a guy who finally broke the starting line-up as a right tackle. Not to mention the CIA probably has him in Gitmo by now.

Quote:
The steelers need to go into full blown rebuilding mode.
Never go full retart.
Quote:

They used to be good at grooming players so that they were ready to replace aging vets, but at this point I don't see who's going to replace Troy, Harrison or Hampton.
No one will ever replace Troy, but safety it a need. Harrison's injury season last year will be easy to replace production wise, and we were still the #1 defense will his replacement in the game. McClendon will replace Hampton. He didn't get nearly enough playing time last year, but when he did he made more of an impact that Hampton.
Quote:

The o-line is in shambles and lots of questions at WR and RB.
At absolute worst we have Brown and Sanders as our top 2. Not exactly horrible.

We will hvae Dwyer and Redman back if we really want them both.
Quote:
Plus you still have Todd Haley and Ben butting heads.
They never butted heads, although the made claimed it basically every day. Ben was an MVP canidate through 8 games. First time in is career in was in that conversation week 8.
Quote:
It's a mess really. Not hating, that's just my honest take.
So you're not a troll, just clueless.

Last edited by 6andcounting; 01-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
One could make an argument that Pouncey is overrated because the recognition he get's with accolades, due to a garbage collection of players he is up against. But you're fooling yourself if you don't think he's pretty darned good.

Brown on the other hand is a beast. The guy just happened to play with a busted ankle for far too many weeks this season and/or without a starting QB. If you want to talk about Mike Wallace and overrated, I'll happily agree with you. Pouncey is only overrated because there's simply nobody else worth the media attention. At this point he's no Webser, or Dawson. Shoot, he isn't even a Rich Braham.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3460

Quote:
As far as you guys getting Tebowed, yeah, it should have been a warning sign. You guys had a veteran team of which most of the key players had played in at least two SB's and won 1, and you get b

This is the reason the Steelers are the most sucessful team in the NFL over the last 40 years. They don't take one game's evaluation and change an entire roster.
You lost all credibility with that one line right there. It's a business..Slow and steady wins the race like every other sport/business. Oh noes! Tebow beat us, let's cut the entire team!! Are you kidding me? Are you for real? The Steelers have restructured contracts in the past because they had the core of a team to win a superbowl. And newsflash; They've done it since before they won their last superbowl. So, they've done it for the purpose of winning a superbowl with the current core of players, before they're all gone.

Now, I wouldn't expect the likes of you to understand that simple concept because quite frankly, you've never been lucky enough to be in such a situation have you? I didn't think so.

Elite franchise QB's only come around once in a while. When you land one, you mortgage something to ensure you make the absolute most out of that opportunity; See the last 15 years before Ben.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1513

This is nonsense. I hate to say it, but they will be a threat as long as Big Ben stays healthy. The defense was ranked #1. That doesn't happen by accident in the NFL.

I want the Bengals to earn the right to be the top team in the AFCN. Not rely on other teams "getting old" and having to "rebuild". I don't understand that mentality. "Well if the Steelers **** we can win the division!" How about, if the Bengals improve they can beat the Steelers!

BTW this isn't directed at anyone in particular.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith(DE) View Post
This is the reason the Steelers are the most sucessful team in the NFL over the last 40 years. They don't take one game's evaluation and change an entire roster.
You lost all credibility with that one line right there. It's a business..Slow and steady wins the race like every other sport/business. Oh noes! Tebow beat us, let's cut the entire team!! Are you kidding me? Are you for real? The Steelers have restructured contracts in the past because they had the core of a team to win a superbowl. And newsflash; They've done it since before they won their last superbowl. So, they've done it for the purpose of winning a superbowl with the current core of players, before they're all gone.

Now, I wouldn't expect the likes of you to understand that simple concept because quite frankly, you've never been lucky enough to be in such a situation have you? I didn't think so.

Elite franchise QB's only come around once in a while. When you land one, you mortgage something to ensure you make the absolute most out of that opportunity; See the last 15 years before Ben.
Hate when Steeler fans don't mention the Steelers first 40ys....papakain gonna pounce on you boy.lol

Last edited by Woodley; 01-20-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Why in the world would the Steelers continue to restructure contracts to turn base salary into bonus money and shove it off into future years to keep a core together that isn't good enough to make the playoffs while facing the 7th easiest schedule in the league to boot? I get it if you feel that you're on the cusp of a SB title, say you got beaten in the AFCG or something. However, doing that after 8-8 with a patsy schedule and an aging roster screams of a guy that's trying to hold on too long.

The other issue is that the more they do this, the more they make the players they do it with virtually uncuttable, as the acceleration of bonus money would kill them. For example, why would they want to do that with Woodley, who's coming off a very poor year with only 4 sacks? Why would they want to do that with Ben, who is becoming more and more injury prone?

The Steelers will get down under the cap, but a lot of that will have do with axing guys like Colon and Harrison. If they keep mortgaging their future cap, then they are frankly stupid.

As far as you guys getting Tebowed, yeah, it should have been a warning sign. You guys had a veteran team of which most of the key players had played in at least two SB's and won 1, and you get beat in the first round by Tim Tebow? That should be a sign right there that you're slipping. You guys don't do anything, delude yourselves into thinking you still have a top tier talent roster, shove a bunch of cap money off into future years, and go 8-8 with one of the easiest schedules in the league.
You constantly show you really have no idea how the cap works or how these contracts are actually written.

Pittsburgh has been restructuring contracts for years and they haven't had a losing record for a decade. But, please, continue to think you know more than Kevin Colbert and Omar khan. It's not like they have multiple Super Bowl rings

Quote:

Last edited by GreggyDigital; 01-20-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
You do have a point, as a 6 round pick brown should certainly be doing better.

Since, you know, we were talking about the draft.

Also, pouncey is better than any lineman on the bengals roster...obviously.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
You constantly show you really have no idea how the cap works or how these contracts are actually written.

Pittsburgh has been restructuring contracts for years and they haven't had a losing record for a decade. But, please, continue to think you know more than Kevin Colbert and Omar khan. It's not like they have multiple Super Bowl rings
I got to meet and talk to Colbert in September at an academic conference. I specifically asked him about the difficulties with restructuring contracts to make cap room. He said that they never risk the future for the current cap situation and that considerable thought is put into the cap a far as, if not further, the longest remaining contract on the books. But a few smack talk GMs think they know better.

Last edited by 6andcounting; 01-20-2013 at 09:57 PM.