Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233
bengals Mocking to procrastinate on my homework pre combine

I should be preparing to give a presentation tomorrow. Instead I will make a mock.

1. Eddie Lacy HB Bama 6'0" 220lbs- Powerful hoss with the ability to carry the load. This is the type of back that wears down defenses and by the 4th quarter they become weary of hitting him. I think we would be foolish to pass on the opportunity to draft this franchise back.

2. Matt Elam S Florida 5'10" 202lbs- Intimidating hitter who was the leader on one of the nations top defenses. No more questions at safety. Our two Florida boys would be interchangeable like Zimmer wants. Good instincts and football intelligence plus the pedigree. Hopefully he is available here. Ed Reed and Polamalu will become a thing of the past as Elam takes the title of best safety in the AFC North.

2b. Khaseem Greene LB Rutgers 6'1" 234lbs- Two time Big East defensive player of the year knows how to rack up tackles. The converted safety has above average coverage skills for a LB but his size could be a problem which is why he slips down to our 2nd pick in the 2nd.

3. Menelik Watson OL FSU 6'6" 320lbs- The highly athletic Watson probably has less football experience than just about everybody in this draft. He has only played in 20 games. The former basketball player had a short stint in boxing before trying football. After 8 games at a junior college he was offered a scholarship to Florida State (and many other top notch schools) and took the starting RT job in a program that annually gets some of the nations best recruits. The idea is to have him directly replace Roland as our extra OL in heavy packages and continue to develop him. Stacey Andrews like project with more upside. Could run a 4.7 40. Wouldn't rule out his ability to play G possibly pushing Boling to C to compete with Robinson and Cook.

4. Travis Kelce TE UC 6'5" 260lbs- I was surprised Orson Charles was available in the 4th last year, maybe we get lucky again this year. I liked when we used Gresham out wide, we didn't see much of that this year. Kelce would step in and probably be our best blocking TE. But he is no slouch catching the ball either. A power formation with 3 TEs on the field, AJ out wide, and Lacy in the backfield would be able to run the ball. But we could shift Gresham out wide and create matchup problems or shift Charles into the backfield to act as a lead blocker. Gruden spoke of being multiple when we first signed him, we could be multiple with three good TEs.

5. Denard Robinson HB/ATH UM 5'11" 197lbs- My ideal replacement for Tate to take over return duties. Not sure if he lasts this long but if he does we need to pounce. Gives us a speed element in our backfield to replace Scott and the former QB could be used all over the field. Lacy, BJGE, Robinson, Herron as our HB depth is obliterating what we had last year.

6. Brandon Kaufman WR Eastern Washington 6'4" 214lbs- I like big WRs and Kaufman dominated the FCS level. Set the FCS record for receiving yards this year with a Calvin Johnson like 1850yards on 93 catches with 16 TDs. May not produce right away but that gives us a chance to see how Sanu and Jones progress. I'm thinking he is going to be a Colston like steal. Gives another big target for Dalton to work with.

6. Jake knott LB Iowa State 6'2" 240lbs- First team all Big 12 despite missing final 4 games of the year due to a shoulder injury. 347 tackles and 8 ints in his career. Probably replaces Rey or Skuta on the back end of our LB depth chart. Could surprise and take the SAM job. Greene, Burfict, Knott could be a solid LB corps.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496
Default Re: Mocking to procrastinate on my homework pre combine

I'm still tying to figure out where Dennard will actually end up playing at the next level. I've even been reading some sites saying CB if you can believe that. He just seems like a slot player to me and maybe some return duties but one things for sure. No shortage of athletic talent. My only worry about the tackle is his age but definately a sound player. I'd be happy if this is how it shakes out.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlesmiley View Post
I'm still tying to figure out where Dennard will actually end up playing at the next level. I've even been reading some sites saying CB if you can believe that. He just seems like a slot player to me and maybe some return duties but one things for sure. No shortage of athletic talent. My only worry about the tackle is his age but definately a sound player. I'd be happy if this is how it shakes out.
I have seen the Denard to CB projection. I can't see him shifting to defense though. After averaging 7.2 yards a carry this year and seeing as how he was a running QB I think the switch to HB makes the most sense. Combined with Sanu's capabilities we should be able to get pretty creative on offense.

Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to moving up a little bit if Denard slips out of the 3rd round. But that depends on if guys like Ellington, Randle, and Barner are still on the board.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

dog meat draft. stick with your homework
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
dog meat draft. stick with your homework