Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 101
Default opinion about Rooney Rule

Do you think they need to make adjustments to the Rooney Rule as the article on nfl.com says the NFL is considering?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...sure-diversity

Maybe I just don't get it because I am a white guy? I read a article that said the NFL is predominantly black and it lacked the number of black coaches to represent that. It was something like that. Why couldn't one read into that statement that the league needs more white players since it is predominantly black? Maybe that is a crazy thought? It was a big deal for a long time that the league did not have enough black quarterbacks? I don't think I ever heard it said there was not enough black kickers. lol There are not many white running backs? Why is that? Is that a problem? White cornerbacks? I think it is a matter of perspective. White players are not inclined to think they didn't get the position because they are not black. At least in my experience they are not. Is it that it is easier sometimes to say I didn't get what I want because I am black rather than look at ones self and say I have to be better? If I am a fat guy and I ask a girl out on a date it is much easier to say she is superficial and doesn't want to date me because I am fat rather than realizing maybe it was because I am a jerk. I realize every situation is different and the Rooney rule is regarding hiring coaches and not players. I am just touching on the subject of race in the NFL in general.
I know for me I wouldn't care what race you are. Good is good no matter what skin color. The NFL has made a lot of players, predominantly black, millionaires. I realize coaching is more of a subjective thing. One never really knows who will turn out to be a good or even great coach or GM. There are a great many variables to consider. I think race is one that should matter the least if at all. If I am paying a coach millions I want to be able to hire who I think is the right person for the job. Right or wrong I would want it to be my choice without any outside interference. One thing I always liked about sports is the final score has nothing to do with your race. May the best TEAM win.
I just wanted to hear some thoughts on the subject from fellow NFL fans. Most of the time it is hard to discuss these things on a message board without idiots making ignorant racial comments. Please refrain from that.

Last edited by hoosierbengal; 01-18-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15358
bengals Re: opinion about Rooney Rule

Paragraphs are your friend.

I didnt read it because it lacked them ( lacked them ???)

Anyway, i remember when the RR was implemented. It was neceassary then. I'm not sayin' it isnt now, but as we all know, times change. Although it was only a few years ago the RR was established -- because its been established, i think its un--needed nowadays. i duuno, its weird...the way i think. (( a lot of members would jump on that fumble, lol ))
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 24978
Default Re: opinion about Rooney Rule

The Rooney Rule is a good one and I support it fully. It really needs to be applied to the NCAA as well, though.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
The Rooney Rule is a good one and I support it fully. It really needs to be applied to the NCAA as well, though.

for sure. and just to clarify, i also believe its a good rule....just maybe lost its luster...i dunno...
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 101

Sorry. I thought I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
Paragraphs are your friend.

I didnt read it because it lacked them ( lacked them ???)

Anyway, i remember when the RR was implemented. It was neceassary then. I'm not sayin' it isnt now, but as we all know, times change. Although it was only a few years ago the RR was established -- because its been established, i think its un--needed nowadays. i duuno, its weird...the way i think. (( a lot of members would jump on that fumble, lol ))
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 700

Quote:
It should stay
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

I dont think it is a needed now. the country isnt as discriminatory as it was 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.

If your not hired, its not because your black or white or asian or whatnot, Its because you werent good enough.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
I dont think it is a needed now. the country isnt as discriminatory as it was 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.

If your not hired, its not because your black or white or asian or whatnot, Its because you werent good enough.
You are right on one level: This nation has indeed come a long way with respect to discrimination. However, the Rooney Rule, at least as I see it, is a positive thing because it encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for coaching and management jobs. Much of the past issue with the lack of diversity in coaching and management in the NFL stems from what I see was a tacit undercurrent of what I call soft bigotry which affected many coaching candidates. Thirty years ago I can see someone thinking to themselves, "I would love to show interest in that coaching job but I'm black so I have no chance."

The Rooney Rule takes the "...but I'm..." part of that sentence out. The NFL is a great organization and the best coaches and the best managers need to be identified no matter what they look like. I remember when Art Shell became one of the first black head coaches and one of the players said it was easier to play for someone who was also black. I had to think about that for a minute but I understood it.

Here's what I love: Peyton Manning loved playing for Tony Dungy. Brian Urlacher loved playing for Lovie Smith. It's okay for a white player to look up to a black coach or manager as a role model. I know if I played for the Ravens I would consider myself fortunate to have Ozzie Newsome in my management chain.

Beyond football, things are changing. After Barack Obama, Americans will no longer consider a black president a novelty. The best boss I ever had in the military was a black colonel who went to Tuskegee University. The most impressive aviator I ever met was Col Walter Watson who was a Reconnaissance Systems Officer in the SR-71 Blackbird.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35415

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierbengal View Post
Do you think they need to make adjustments to the Rooney Rule as the article on nfl.com says the NFL is considering?

Maybe I just don't get it because I am a white guy? I read a article that said the NFL is predominantly black and it lacked the number of black coaches to represent that. It was something like that. Why couldn't one read into that statement that the league needs more white players since it is predominantly black? Maybe that is a crazy thought? It was a big deal for a long time that the league did not have enough black quarterbacks? I don't think I ever heard it said there was not enough black kickers. lol There are not many white running backs? Why is that? Is that a problem? White cornerbacks? I think it is a matter of perspective. White players are not inclined to think they didn't get the position because they are not black. At least in my experience they are not. Is it that it is easier sometimes to say I didn't get what I want because I am black rather than look at ones self and say I have to be better? If I am a fat guy and I ask a girl out on a date it is much easier to say she is superficial and doesn't want to date me because I am fat rather than realizing maybe it was because I am a jerk. I realize every situation is different and the Rooney rule is regarding hiring coaches and not players. I am just touching on the subject of race in the NFL in general.
I know for me I wouldn't care what race you are. Good is good no matter what skin color. The NFL has made a lot of players, predominantly black, millionaires. I realize coaching is more of a subjective thing. One never really knows who will turn out to be a good or even great coach or GM. There are a great many variables to consider. I think race is one that should matter the least if at all. If I am paying a coach millions I want to be able to hire who I think is the right person for the job. Right or wrong I would want it to be my choice without any outside interference. One thing I always liked about sports is the final score has nothing to do with your race. May the best TEAM win.
I just wanted to hear some thoughts on the subject from fellow NFL fans. Most of the time it is hard to discuss these things on a message board without idiots making ignorant racial comments. Please refrain from that.
That rule has good intentions, but it's not really needed. I know what it's like to not even get the opportunity to interview for a promotion, believe me. But in an environment like the NFL where W's talk and BS walks, I don't think that rule is needed at all.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39892

Quote:

That is a great point, about being hired upon merit, rather than by ethnic background.

One should also keep in mind that just because there are a higher percentage of players that happen to be black, does not mean that they all want to be coaches when they retire from playing the game.

As I have come to understand from my friends of color, most do not want to gain an opportunity on the basis of a "quota" or some sort of preferrential treatment, but rather by standing out as the most qualified for the job.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

While good intentioned, I don't think it's really needed.

Like OP said, you don't hear anyone complaining about the lack of white players at skill positions(other than QB ). On the other end, you don't hear people complaining about the lack of black/minority players at the Kicker or Punter positions.

Why is that? I think it's because everybody knows that 99/100 times the player at a given position is there because they are the best, and it should be the same for coaching.

As an aside, I think nepotism is much more prevalent in the NFL than any kind of racism. Getting a job just because of who you're related to bullcrap, especially when you consider most of the people related to the original person aren't nearly as good.

Paul Brown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >Mike Brown
Buddy Ryan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rex and Rob Ryan
Don Shula>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >Dave Shula
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17994

I think it's dumb for current day.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3226

While we'll never be privy to the discussions that go in front offices while filling HC positions, I find it amazing that Lovie Smith is still umemployed.

I'd love to think that we're past the worst of discrimination, but who knows. The Rooney Rule shouldn't be necessary, but who knows if it still is necessary.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2482
bills Re: opinion about Rooney Rule

I don't think that we need the Rooney rule personally, but I'm disappointed to see that Lovie Smith won't be coaching at any capacity this upcoming season (I don't see him coordinating, but rather sitting at home collecting his $5 million and getting back into the Head Coaching carousel next offseason).

I really thought the Bills and Browns should have considered him more (although I think the Browns are putting together a decent coaching staff with Chudnitski and Turner as well as the ex-Arizona coordinator).
Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3109

Nobody has a problem with the RR, but the NFL is making a huge deal that no minority (black specifically) head coaches were hired this year, apparently they are considering "forcing" teams in the future to hire minority head coaches.

People who pull the race card all the time, are often the more racist people themselves.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquapod770 View Post
Nobody has a problem with the RR, but the NFL is making a huge deal that no minority (black specifically) head coaches were hired this year, apparently they are considering "forcing" teams in the future to hire minority head coaches.

People who pull the race card all the time, are often the more racist people themselves.
I don't think anyone didn't hire Lovie because he's black although the Bills owner is old and could potentially hold on to old racial issues I don't know. Personally my Head Coaching list would have been:

1. Andy Reid
2. Lovie Smith
3. Bruce Arians
4. Ken Whisenhunt
5. Ray Horton

Really at number 3 I'd contact John Gruden, Bill Cowher, and Tony Dungy to inquire whether or not they would be interested in returning to the NFL on my team, but I'd expect them to stay in the broadcast booth.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10804

So the best way to not be racist is to focus on color? Never understood this crap.
NFL = GOVERNMENT

The OP has some interesting points. Such as not enough white running backs, etc. the people should be outraged
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13139

The rule should stay. If race still wasn't prevelant this wouldn't be a thread or a topic on ESPN,NFL network or CNN.

It's amazes me that people actually think that racism doesn't play a role or is a factor today.
'Institutional racism' has replaced and picked up from where offically sanctioned discrimination left off. This means that various political, social, legal, and economic organizations unofficially but concretely continue the same patterns of discrimination against certain social groups, well after the official, state-sanctioned practices of such discrimination have been formally renounced.

Just because a person today won't call you a wetback....a *igger , honky, chink to your face doesn't mean they are not racist.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post
The rule should stay. If race still wasn't prevelant this wouldn't be a thread or a topic on ESPN,NFL network or CNN.

Just because a person today won't call you a wetback....a *igger , honky, chink to your face doesn't mean they are not racist.
So your saying they are racist if they dont hire a black man?

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13139

Quote:
So your saying they are racist if they dont hire a black man?
Wow..... Did you not understand a thing in my post? I guess I should have used smaller words.

And it's not. Black or white thing.....it's a minority thing doesn't have to be a black man....could have been an Asian, a Hispanic, a Native American.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

The Rooney Rule must stay just as the civil rights legislation from the 1960s must stay. Just because progress is being made does not mean the rules enabling that process need to be thrown aside.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Wow..... Did you not understand a thing in my post? I guess I should have used smaller words.

And it's not. Black or white thing.....it's a minority thing doesn't have to be a black man....could have been an Asian, a Hispanic, a Native American.
The only thing the Rooney rule would work for would to give an owner or whoever is hiring the coach an opportunity to be surprised in an interview by a minority candidate, because of some inner stereotype that a black man, for example, is an idiot, or thug, irresponsible, won't represent well something like that.

If an owner is actually racist he isn't going to hire the guy anyways. I really don't think that most owners out there are racists (I could be wrong as a lot of them are old and lived in a different time than myself).

So to me it really only helps if the owner is just ignorant and realizes after interviewing the guy that maybe this guy doesn't do these things that we stereotype their race with and he could actually be a good coach and represent me and my team well.

Still I just don't think the rule is really going to help and i don't know what they could tweak to make it better. Maybe they have to interview a minority first or something idk.

Still Lovie Smith should be wearing a Bills shirt today I think lol
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118

Quote:

It's amazes me that people actually think that racism doesn't play a role or is a factor today.
'Institutional racism' has replaced and picked up from where offically sanctioned discrimination left off. This means that various political, social, legal, and economic organizations unofficially but concretely continue the same patterns of discrimination against certain social groups, well after the official, state-sanctioned practices of such discrimination have been formally renounced.

In my opinion, this stuff is in the media because the media is trying to make it an issue even though 98% of Americans dont even care about what race another person is. Yea there are a very small minority of people out there that are racist, but there will always be ignorant outliers regardless of change. The Rooney Rule to me seems racist in and of itself. Hey, we are going to give you this interview just because you are black. Ridiculous.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierbengal View Post

The media and politics will ALWAYS do their best to keep racial issues alive and well. Too many people make too much money off keeping it alive. It's all about the mighty dollar. These people truly know that you can't legislate people's hearts, and there is always going to be racism, criminals, sexism, violence, hatred, etc. etc. Those things may diminish in percentage, but will NEVER go away and the poverty pimps know that!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1214

Quote:
The Rooney Rule must stay just as the civil rights legislation from the 1960s must stay. Just because progress is being made does not mean the rules enabling that process need to be thrown aside.

It's all a hoax and another avenue for the mighty dollar to be made!!! There is no measuring stick for any of this nonsense and there is no defining exit strategy for it either! How do we define when we no longer need the NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc. How do we measure when it is finally where it should be and not always 'getting better but not there yet?' It's a joke people because they know there will always be racism, sexism, violence, crime, hatred, anger, etc etc. These organizations were built on that premise!!