Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178
Default Re: Gruden, Zimmer back in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Arians to Cardinals per Schefter. All 8 openings filled. We'll have both coordinators back which is a good thing IMO.
Like they say for a lot of positions in the NFL, the 3rd year is usually a break out year if they are going to be good, so hopefully Gruden has a break out year.

We all know what we are going to get from Zimmer.

If the offense can just jump a hurdle, we will be alright. We had a few games last year that were really good, then some really bad ones. I think with the experience and the new pieces in the offseason we will be a lot better.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Arians to Cardinals per Schefter. All 8 openings filled. We'll have both coordinators back which is a good thing IMO.
Very good thing in my opinion. I hope Hue stays around for the season after, but as far as I understand it, the bengals haven't allowed anyone to interview him?

I think Dalton and Gruden get things working in the off-season with sanu, green, and jones. I would like to see more development out of Orson Charles. Guy doesn't drop the ball. I know gresh is pro bowl, but given Dalton's supposed limitations you would figure that they would go two tight end sets more often.

VERY VERY EXCITED TO HAVE ZIMMER BACK. Like, I feel like I can breathe again. Well, after it was clear every team hiring wanted offensive minded coaches I figured we were safe, but still.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2179

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
A big unanswered question going into 2013!!Does anyone on here feel like our current qb is the big time leader of this team and why?? I am not saying he is or isn't. I am holding out to make that call until i see what he does with this team going forward.I see alot in him i like, but i would like to see more leadership skills come out. I feel he can be very reserved at times, and one questions if his teammates feel he is the man.just asking everyones opinions and why you feel the way you do.I really want him to be great.
I think Andy runs the offence well and has shown at times he's more than capable in terms of his own ability. I think Dalton pretty much mirrors the team, consistency is the issue. Look at our typical game, great in the first quarter, decent in the 2nd... atrocious in the 3rd and the 4th quarter can go either way. The team dont play consistent football, and over the course of the season neither does Andy. I dont think it's a talent issue at all.

On the face of it, the team seems to think Andy is a good leader, nobody ever complains and we dont hear of any locker room issues. I think Andy's a great guy to have leading the offence personality wise.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D from logan View Post
Why does Gruden never run any type of hurry up offense other than at the end of the game.
We have Dalton not Brady
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7694

The offensive problems have more than one source.

One is our front office not making absolutely sure to get a veteran, proven possession receiver in the offseason. Such a player could have been had and not for tons of money either - we didn't need Megatron II just a solid pro who runs good routes and catches the ball. Also they did nothing to secure a speed back to compliment Green Ellis.

The second was the instability on the offensive line. We started a rookie at RG, effectively a rookie at LG and had three different starters at Center. As a result, the line never developed any real cohesion or rhythm and as the season progressed Andy had constant heavy pressure right in his face - and NO QB can succeed consistently in that situation.

The third was VERY erratic play from Gresham - huge because it robbed Andy of his outlet receiver. Also pretty much every WR not named AJ Green was a complete cipher.

And, yes, our scheme has to be called into question too. With a OL that has serious problems in the interior we should not have been having Andy take 5-7 step drops. Also we badly needed to do screens consistently so we could run them properly - a good screen does wonders to slow a pass rush down. But the biggest issues were the offense was way too vanilla and ran WAY too slow. Going up tempo can help your line also.

So Gruden has some responsibility here but there are other issues too.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33761

I'm stoked Zim is back. Not so much with Jay, but I'm willing to give him another shot. Hopefully we will sign a reliable veteran WR, draft a speed back and get our center situation sorted out. That's why I give Jay a slight pass. Then again, he should have pushed for those things last year. I also must say that I totally agree with Shady and Joelist when it comes to his scheme. He never seemed to attack weaknesses or run plays that negate opponent's pass rush.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-18-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38088

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
Im hoping to see a few more original screens, some good play action and maybe a second TE to open up a few lanes next year. Also hoping he can get Andy to move around a little. Hear me now Gruden, the same old run run pass crap is getting old so MIX IT UP!
I'm not totally satisfied with his results either but he is not as predictable as you're leading on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
As I've said elsewhere...

GRUDEN MUST GO.

He is AWFUL.

The ONLY stat that matters is that Gruden LOSES to good teams.

1. He cannot move the ball and score points against good teams. Look at Cincy's offensive output vs Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Absolutely wretched. The Giants game now looks like a fluke. The offense did okay against Denver until the 4th quarter when Cincy just needed first downs (not even touchdowns) and couldn't get them. The egg laid vs Miami made me nauseous. The second half of the Cleveland loss made me puke.

2. Gruden is WORSE every time he faces a familiar opponent (usually meaning the second time he faces someone). Good grief, Cincy had just ONE meaningful play in Pittsburgh territory in the win--and that was a pass to get into field goal range. Gruden only beat Balt because our backups played better than Balt's backups. And look at Houston: 19 points, then 10 points, then 6 offensive points. (The only teams' starters that Gruden has beaten in a second meeting were Cleveland in '11, and the offense didn't have a lead until a FG when the clock expired, and Jacksonville in '12--and they were 2-12.)

3. Dalton and Green are NOT progressing. They played in December and January as if they were raw rookies in preseason games. Just completely out of synch. Second seasons are supposed to be much better but this one wasn't when it mattered. There is NO EXCUSE for this passing game falling off a cliff in the second half of '11 and '12. Plus, the pass blocking inexplicably became absolutely atrocious after having a solid stretch of good performances.

4. The IDIOTIC gameplan in the playoffs. Especially that Gruden stuck with it in the second qtr after it failed so miserably in the first qtr. Gruden looked like this was the first game plan he ever made.

5. Gruden CANNOT make in-game adjustments. If his plan doesn't work from the get-go, he has no counter. (If a team is successful getting pressure on Dalton, Gruden STILL calls 5 step drops with long routes--just stupid. And when he calls a screen--that one time in a million--the play is usually botched because he calls them so rarely.) If his plan works, but the other team adjusts to stop it, then Gruden has no counter-adjustment. He simply cannot perform at this level. We've lost way too many games, especially two playoff games (rare gems for this team) because of Gruden. The defense plays its guts out. It deserves better from the offense.

IT'S NOT GOING TO GET ANY BETTER.

Either (A) Dalton is a good franchise quarterback hamstrung by bad coaching or (B ) Gruden is a good coach and Dalton is a bad quarterback. Why? Because if it's (C) Dalton and Gruden are both performing well, then (D) they both stink and BOTH need replaced. I think it's A.

I am OUTRAGED that Gruden still has his job. I am hoping that Mike Brown didn't fire Gruden simply to make him more attractive to other teams. Otherwise we have yet another incidence of MB's incompetence as a General Manager.
I wouldn't be mad if he got replaced but the talent is lacking. Dalton's best targets were both unreliable this year dropping too many passes and the run game doesn't scare anyone.

I think Dalton and Gruden are both pretty good at what they do but they need more help than what they've got currently.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I'm stoked Zim is back. Not so much with Jay, but I'm willing to give him another shot. Hopefully we will sign a reliable veteran WR, draft a speed back and get our center situation sorted out. That's why I give Jay a slight pass. Then again, he should have pushed for those things last year. I also must say that I totally agree with Shady and Joelist when it comes to his scheme. He never seemed to attack weaknesses or run plays that negate opponent's pass rush.

Believe that he and they thought Bernard Scott was the speed back to compliment the Law Firm. Injury derailed that plan.

Already had to sign a FA OG and RB. But injury derailed half of that plan as well. MB was probably not ok-ing major spending in the last year that he could not spend cap to do anything more.

Drafted two WR's. Injuries derailed half that as well.

My final opinion on whether he will be a good OC is still on reserve until he gets a fair chance with at least one facet of the offense being sound.

None presently are.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3113
Default Jay Gruden Speaks On Coaching Search, Return To Cincinnati

For the first time since seeing every NFL head-coaching position fill up, Bengals Offensive Coordinator Jay Gruden spoke pubicly about the interview process

Quote:
It was a good experience. It was an honor to be on those guy’s lists and to be able to talk football and philosophies. You also learn that there are a lot of issues in a lot of different positions and sometimes our problems are not as bad.
Gruden also spoke about the Bengals’ struggles on offense late in the season:

Quote:
There are lot of ways we have to improve. We have to continue to strive and get better so that we can get to the next level.
Jay will now fly out to Mobile, Alabama, where the annual Senior Bowl will take place next Saturday. He’ll be watching players from both teams practice all week, and we could see one or more participants in Bengals stripes come next season.

http://stripehype.com/2013/01/18/jay...to-cincinnati/
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17954
Default Re: Jay Gruden Speaks On Coaching Search, Return To Cincinnati

You can tell from that 2nd quote that he's been around Marvin more and more. Seriously.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7694

In other words, he made generic, nothing comments about our offense. Which gives us zero reason to believe he even understands the problems.

Come on, the season is over so there are no secrets to let out anymore. I want him to be detailed and specific about EXACTLY what went wrong on offense.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
In other words, he made generic, nothing comments about our offense. Which gives us zero reason to believe he even understands the problems.

Come on, the season is over so there are no secrets to let out anymore. I want him to be detailed and specific about EXACTLY what went wrong on offense.
I honestly do not believe he knows. All he knows is we need a RB. Thats it!! I pray he watches nothing but game film for the ENTIRE offseason and realizes what needs to be fixed and come up with a MUCH more creative offensive game-plan that finds ways to get our receivers open! Other top teams seem to have plays that allow two or three players to get wide open and for some reason, that doesn't happen for us. But then again, that could be due to our QB who doesnt let the play develop fully before taking off or making a bad decision. There better be some major changes for next season, because if it doesnt, Jay is never going to land a HC job. There is one major reason for Jay not getting a HC job and it stems from his 22nd ranked offense.

Let it be known that I fully support Andy Dalton and think he will take a giant step forward this upcoming year. I am not disappointed that Jay is coming back. Lets give these two one more year to develop together and see what comes of it. If there is no progress at the end of next year, then a change will need to be made!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13263

Quote:

Its a PC world. He can't just go around saying 'Tate ***** fat donkey ****' or 'our offense looked like a bunch of spastic 2nd grade *******' no matter how true the statement may be.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5813

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Its funny that fans want Zimmer as our HC after he has been passed over for how many jobs? Either other teams are missing something or we are...
It's an OC hiring frenzy. DCs are not very popular right now.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5813

Quote:

Not gonna happen. He's no different than any other coach. He's not oing to let any other team know his philosophy, let alone his plans.

Demand the same from Belicheck and see what you get.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3282

Quote:

What players are going to want to come here knowing that the coaches are going to throw them under the bus if something goes wrong?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Guy View Post
We have Dalton not Brady
There are times when Dalton plays like Brady.

Marcia Brady.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:

Ummm... Pretty sure coaches do that every single day in their meetings.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
You can tell from that 2nd quote that he's been around Marvin more and more. Seriously.
Get used to it.....Gruden is going to be here a long, long time.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
For the first time since seeing every NFL head-coaching position fill up, Bengals Offensive Coordinator Jay Gruden spoke pubicly about the interview process

Gruden also spoke about the Bengals’ struggles on offense late in the season:

Jay will now fly out to Mobile, Alabama, where the annual Senior Bowl will take place next Saturday. He’ll be watching players from both teams practice all week, and we could see one or more participants in Bengals stripes come next season.

http://stripehype.com/2013/01/18/jay...to-cincinnati/
The same quotes are available on Bengals.com. The originator of the story
Old 01-19-2013, 12:40 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19460

I just want him to stop calling plays like it's arena ball and learn to coach situational football.

Last edited by bradfritz21; 01-19-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11291

Time to focus on Cincinnati, Jay.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Gruden will most likely take a coaching job elsewhere next year. But if he puts together a consistent offense that puts up points he could become our Head Coach while letting Zimmer walk...Gruden needs to look back at how TCU used Dalton. i'm not sure who the problem is.. It's either Dalton or it's Gruden.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1080

Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
Or he's a coach and therefore he speaks like one.