Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1325
Default Safety

What are your guys thoughts on safetys? I really like elam but i also like vaccaro and believe a safety will be one of our first 3 picks but more likely top 2. Hopefully they also address LB and RB with the other 2(NO RB in the first)
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 619

I like Rambo. Draft Ogletree in the first, Rambo with 2b,I think they would have some chemistry.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-21-2013, 03:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1325
Default Re: Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storer50 View Post
I like Rambo. Draft Ogletree in the first, Rambo with 2b,I think they would have some chemistry.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
I like rambo, i dont LOVE rambo but i would be happy with the pick. Id also have to get his jersey just for the name.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
What are your guys thoughts on safetys? I really like elam but i also like vaccaro and believe a safety will be one of our first 3 picks but more likely top 2. Hopefully they also address LB and RB with the other 2(NO RB in the first)
Phillip Thomas - Fresno State
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 AM

Rep Points: 16

in my opinion im SOLD on Elam. The guy can flat out tackle and hit Hard. He brings an attitude to the team.....kind of like Burfict!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
i couldnt agree more except........ im pretty sure MJ will get the tag if an extension cant be reached but if smith walks RT at 2a is a top priority then safety at 2b like tj mcdonald maybe and rb in 3 or 4
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19198

Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma.

Dude can be 10 yards off the ball and into the box or the backfield in a split-second and make a play. He'll be the intimidator we need in the middle of the field that will make tight ends and receivers scared to come over the middle. He also can play the pass very well and is the complete package. He just reacts so fast and is so quick to make a play or a big hit that I think he'd bring a hell of a spark to our defense.

He probably won't fall to three, so I'd take him in two to be safe.

Plus, that means that we could take a backer in the first.

I think he's the best safety in this class, especially for us.

Last edited by bradfritz21; 01-21-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 AM

Rep Points: 7

I must be the only one in the world that would like to see us get Barrett Jones I'm guessing??? We gave up the third most sacks... And we got good tackles, hmmm must be interior line.... And we need a rb bad... Clements can play SS good enough, get a SS in the 3rd or 4th round.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19198

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesrock1692 View Post
I must be the only one in the world that would like to see us get Barrett Jones I'm guessing??? We gave up the third most sacks... And we got good tackles, hmmm must be interior line.... And we need a rb bad... Clements can play SS good enough, get a SS in the 3rd or 4th round.
I like Jones and agree that we need a center bad, as well as a RB, but I'm hoping that we make some noise and sign a vet center in free agency so we can knock out running back, linebacker, and safety with the first three picks in the first two rounds.

Jones could even fall to the third where we could grab him.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

My Safety list as to who Id like to see drafted:

1.) Rambo
2.) Elam
3.) Vacarro

Fortunately for us, this is a fairly deep Safety class. The reason I like Rambo so much is mainly because he is just as good as any other safety in this class, and he can be drafted in the late second or third round. Elam and Vacarro will go late first, early second. We can address other positions, like LB or RB, before taking a Safety.

Rambo is strong and does best when he roams the secondary. He will go up and get the ball. Great tackler who knows how to level someone when a big hit is needed. Great in coverage and good in run support.

But the same could be said about Vacarro and Elam. Either way the domino's fall, we will land a good safety and will definitely be a huge upgrade over Crocker!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

This is a deep safety class and there are like four players I would be happy if the Bengals drafted.

Not in any particuluar order

Elam
Vaccaro
Rambo
Jefferson

As long as the Bengals draft one of these guys and don't reach for him I will be happy
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma.

Dude can be 10 yards off the ball and into the box or the backfield in a split-second and make a play. He'll be the intimidator we need in the middle of the field that will make tight ends and receivers scared to come over the middle. He also can play the pass very well and is the complete package. He just reacts so fast and is so quick to make a play or a big hit that I think he'd being a hell of a spark to our defense.

He probably won't fall to three, so I'd take him in two to be safe.

Plus, that means that we could take a backer in the first.

I think he's the best safety in this class, especially for us.
I like Jefferson alot, too. Best combination of coverage skills and run support that I've seen in the draft.

Jefferson or Elam for SS, Rambo for FS (shift Nelson to SS)
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Rep Points: 7

I think we could draft safety in 3rd or 4th round and we could just shift Burfict to MLB and get an outside linebacker... Shayne Skov or Chase Thomas are two olb/ilb i love
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3421

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrass*bengal View Post
in my opinion im SOLD on Elam. The guy can flat out tackle and hit Hard. He brings an attitude to the team.....kind of like Burfict!

I'm with you on this. The film I have watched on him he is one of the best tacklers I've ever seen, closes on the ball in a hurry, is a devastating blitzer and seems to anticipate really well.

The guy moves like greased lightning. I want him bad.

There are a lot of good safeties in this draft - but he seems like the only true difference maker.

I think the offense needs the most attention, but this guy really stands out.

If I'm king of the forest I'm splurging on Greg Jennings and Reggie Bush, then going Elam, C/G and LB 1,2,3.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1427

Elam ! Would love to see this guy in stripes. Pollard 2.0. The guy is a great tackler a big hitter and seems to always be near the ball. S is def. a position of need early in the draft
Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4351

I like Robert Lester or Elam. The question is when do we take them. If Elam is your guy and you don't think he will be there for our 2nd round pick and you aren't satisfied with Lester then you would have to take him in the 1st. If we do miss out on Elam and Lester is a guy that would be an upgrade to your team then when would you take him? 2a or 2b? Do you take a chance that he will be there at 3?

I personally have Elam and Lester at about the same, kinda like Lester more and I feel one or both will be there in the late round 2 or 3rd. I may be the only one though.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
My Safety list as to who Id like to see drafted:

1.) Rambo
2.) Elam
3.) Vacarro

Fortunately for us, this is a fairly deep Safety class. The reason I like Rambo so much is mainly because he is just as good as any other safety in this class, and he can be drafted in the late second or third round. Elam and Vacarro will go late first, early second. We can address other positions, like LB or RB, before taking a Safety.

Rambo is strong and does best when he roams the secondary. He will go up and get the ball. Great tackler who knows how to level someone when a big hit is needed. Great in coverage and good in run support.

But the same could be said about Vacarro and Elam. Either way the domino's fall, we will land a good safety and will definitely be a huge upgrade over Crocker!
Amazing the lack of respect people give to a guy like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State he led the nation in regular season INTs and was a finalist for the Thorpe award. Oddly enough those you named were not finalists.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Amazing the lack of respect people give to a guy like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State he led the nation in regular season INTs and was a finalist for the Thorpe award. Oddly enough those you named were not finalists.
What are his coverage skills like? I think we need a centerfield type safety in our secondary.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
To be honest, outside of you talking about him, I have never heard of him. I have seen his name brought up on some scout sites so I will be sure to take a look at him. Just because they arent up for the Thorpe Award doesn't necessarily mean they arent the best safety in the game. I think there is a consensus on the board that Vacarro is the best overall safety. Those are just my favorites of the bunch.

You could also say that Fresno State doesnt play near the competitive level that Rambo (Georgia), Elam (Florida) or Vacarro (Texas) play at. Granted, that might not mean much to a lot of people because their are a ton of small name schools that produce NFL caliber talent. And I am not saying that Thomas wont be a good NFL Safety, but I just havent researched him nor heard of him very much! I will take a look at him though!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
What are his coverage skills like? I think we need a centerfield type safety in our secondary.
Excellent coverave skills that is why of the three finalists for the Thorpe Award he was the only safety. Milliner and Banks were the other two finalists and are considered to be the two best cover corners in the draft.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 71

I like Vaccaro in the first round-good chance he will still be there-gotta do it-Safety is the weakest position on the team followed by center.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Phillip Thomas - Fresno State

Definitely agree with you on Thomas. That guy is beast and a true ballhawk. He can do it all. Him, swearinger, williams, vacarro and rambo are my favorite safeties. But if I had to choose he is the guy that would definately be a great for this team with his good coverage ability. He reminds me of a bigger/thicker Earl Thomas. I think this years safety class is deep and a number of these guys could help the defensive unit. But when you can get a ballhawk such as Thomas or Rambo it makes you think about INTs for the defense. Rather than guys who are more worried about the big hits ala Elam/Mcdonald which may result in fumbles and also unnecessary roughness knowing how the nfl is becoming like flag football. All in all I think whomever we draft would help us but I rather have some one who can no only tackle but knows how to make plays and cover. Which is why I approve of Phillip Thomas.

But hey what do I know, im just a fan.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyFeeeva View Post
Definitely agree with you on Thomas. That guy is beast and a true ballhawk. He can do it all. Him, swearinger, williams, vacarro and rambo are my favorite safeties. But if I had to choose he is the guy that would definately be a great for this team with his good coverage ability. He reminds me of a bigger/thicker Earl Thomas. I think this years safety class is deep and a number of these guys could help the defensive unit. But when you can get a ballhawk such as Thomas or Rambo it makes you think about INTs for the defense. Rather than guys who are more worried about the big hits ala Elam/Mcdonald which may result in fumbles and also unnecessary roughness knowing how the nfl is becoming like flag football. All in all I think whomever we draft would help us but I rather have some one who can no only tackle but knows how to make plays and cover. Which is why I approve of Phillip Thomas.

But hey what do I know, im just a fan.
Thomas's disappearing act in his bowl game was a huge turn off for me. I tuned in expecting to see this highly touted play maker dominate the sub par competition. Instead I see just a guy who blended
in with all the other JAGs and took bad angles, didn't tackle well and did nothing at all to distinguish himself.

My list of preferred safeties goes
Rambo
Jefferson
Williams
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Thomas's disappearing act in his bowl game was a huge turn off for me. I tuned in expecting to see this highly touted play maker dominate the sub par competition. Instead I see just a guy who blended
in with all the other JAGs and took bad angles, didn't tackle well and did nothing at all to distinguish himself.

Rambo
Jefferson
Williams
Nothing like one game defining a career. Hmmm .....wonder if we could find that one game for each guy you have listed. Not much to wonder about really we all know we could.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post

Rambo
Jefferson
Williams
Perhaps but theres a ton of good players who disappointed in bowl games. Doesn't mean they wont translate well in the nfl. A strong combine can change a lot peoples mind about any particular player. If the tape is good on they guy during coaching evaluation then I see no reason why he shouldnt be considered a worthy selection.