Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 986
Default Another pre-combine Bengals Mock Draft

Thank you for checking out another pre-combine Bengals Mock Draft. There are so many options for this Bengals team heading into the draft. They could play it safe and look for a trade down in round 1 to pick up a few more picks. I don't like to try to guess or trade in my mocks. I just hope they obey their boards like they have over the past 4 years. This time around I focused on explosive players who will help this team score more points and keep the bad guys from getting any! I think I found solid value and production in every round. A few projects with players like Hunt in round 2 and Fragel in round 6. I would love to hear what my fellow draft nerds think of my latest mock.

Round 1- Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee 6-3 205:
The Bengals offense needs more big play weapons. When the Bengals struggled to get AJ going we have seen this team struggle to move the ball. We all love AJ but he needs a number two with speed who will run clean routes for Dalton. Patterson may be the best yards after the catch WR in this year’s draft. We also know Dalton can be hot and cold with the long ball. This skill will make him a more versatile target than most number twos around the league. The potential of Sanu, Hawkins and Jones is great. Adding more youth to this already young group may seem aggressive or counterproductive. You could go the veteran FA route but I think Patterson's size, yac ability and overall speed makes him an ideal number 2 for years to come. Patterson plays the game with a fire and aggression that I think the before mentioned group of current Bengals wide receivers lack outside of Sanu. Cordarrelle's skill set (think D. Bowe) should translate at the next level but he will have to earn the starting job. If his development takes a little more time than I expect this kid is a dangerous kick returner as well. There are a ton of good players that will be on the board but I think this is the right choice. Dalton and company need to put up more points constantly if this team wants to take the next step forward.

Round 2a- Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia 6-3 234:
I know this is not the most original choice but it makes too much sense. If he slips out of the first round I would be surprised but being a 4-3 MLB may limit his value by most teams who run the 3-4. If the Bengals decide to part ways with Rey like we expect the need for a new MLB is huge. Vontaze Looks like a natural on the outside and it would only help the young Ogletree to have explosive experienced players around him. Alec's bark was loud last year he gobbled up 98 tackles, 8 1/2 TFL and 2 sacks in his final season as a Bulldog. Ogletree has all the tools to be a solid 3 down MLB at the next level. Alec plays with aggression but not out of control and is dominate at times versus the run. In coverage he would be a major upgrade over Rey. There are other options to fill this need but this would be a huge blessing and could be the upgrade this defense needs to be a more affective 3rd down defensive team next season.

Round 2b- Margus Hunt DE Southern Methodist 6-7 280:
This giant of a young man is from Estonia. With an 82-inch wing span Margus is gifted with quickness and size but is the definition of raw. Margus has only been playing football since 2009. Named the No. 1 athletic "freak" in college football by CBSSports.com the sky is the limit for Hunt. With the recent success the coaching staff getting the most out of M. Johnson, Dunlap and Atkins why not roll the dice. The Bengals coaching staff will be putting in overtime but I am cool with that. He can rush the passer with 8 sacks last year and is stout against the run. In a 4-3 this guy will be a handful! I think he could play DT on passing downs adding to his value. Hunt will also be an instant impact player on special teams. Hunt has 17 career blocked kicks (10 FGs, 7 PATs). That's insane!

Round 3- Andre Ellington RB Clemson 5-09 192:
I cannot seem to get past this pick without taking Ellington. If he holds the 3rd round grade placed on him by CBSsports.com this would be a crazy value. In my opinion he is the perfect back for the Bengals. I know the Bernard kid out of UNC is a tempting choice but I think he will be long gone and Ellington brings a similar game to the NFL. Andre can get the tough yards when needed and has very good hands. I give BJGE another year in the system to be the main option and use Andre for a speedy change of pace back with the potential to become the teams 3 down RB of the future. I think this young man could have a similar impact as Demarco Murray had for the Cowboys. He can break he big play and has the type of quickness that will make teams nervous keeping them honest. Ellington can pass protect, has great hips, vision and runs the ball between the tackles surprisingly well. I think he makes the offense better on day 1.

Round 4- Shawn Williams SS Georgia 6-1 218:
Waited to address the SS position in this mock and still get a decent player in round 4. Not as flashy or labeled a sure thing like a few of the 1st round safety prospects. I love Williams' ability to play fast but not out of control. He had a rough time against Bama and his stock is falling a bit. This is why I think he may still be there in round 4 for the taking. It may be a stretch to think he can come in and start but not totally insane. Williams can cover TE and RB out of the back field and plays the run with the best of them. With time he could sneak his way into the starting line up by mid-season for the Bengals. If it unfolds like this I would look for a vet FA SS to come in and compete for the starting role.

Round 5- Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA 5-10 198:
I can't get away from this pick. I think the value would be great here and Johnathan is a RB who is great in space. He has NFL breakaway speed but is not the sprinter some want. He has the ability to be a 3 down back but needs to work on his hands. Not much production in his time at UCLA catching passes. This is not a huge concern due to the fact we never throw to the RB for some reason. I watched his game against a very good Stanford defense against the run. Franklin was impressive gaining 194 yards. Say good bye to fan favorite Leonard but I think Franklin brings more to the table.

Round 6a- Reid Fragel OT Ohio State 6-7 298:
Youth an upside that is a few years away from bring a factor. Reid was a TE originally and was moved to LT and excelled last year. I am a huge buckeye fan and was more than impressed with his play later in the year. With Miller at QB you can't rest. Reid shows a back for finishing blocks and fighting till the whistle. He has the frame to be huge and if he can clean up his feet this guy will be a steal!

Round 6b- Travis Howard CB Ohio State 6-0 198:
I know 2 Buckeyes back to back and I will accept the grief I receive. Howard is a ball hawk and I can't believe he is ranked this low by CBS. Howard has great feet and has the ability to spy the QB jumping routes. He does struggle deep on coverage and will need some help over top on the faster deep threat types. In round 6 I don't think you find a better corner.

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 119
Default Re: Another pre-combine Bengals Mock Draft

Not sure how I feel on Hunt, but overall I like it. I think most of those players could make an impact on this team...

Last edited by RCBengalsFan; 01-26-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6261

So if Shawn Williams is taken by another team prior to the Bengals 5th round selection (117th overall), which other 4th round or 5th round safety is of starter calibre?

Who is your suggested FA SS to "compete" with Williams?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 433

[quote=PhxBENGALfanatic;2787096]

Really good Draft I think for us overall. If Ogletree is gone at 2 I might look at taking Kaseem Green with 2b and take the best DE/S available at 2a. Overall I like where your head is at.

I love this pick and would drastically improve the WR and the offense

I know this is not the most original choice but it makes too much sense. If he slips out of the first round I would be surprised but being a 4-3 MLB may limit his value by most teams who run the 3-4.

Ogletree is a 3-4 MLB. I also see him more in an OLB role for us. If he fell this far then I'd be thrilled with this pick. The only way I see him falling is with a sub par combine

The only knock on Hunt is his age. At 26 he is old for a draft pick, but again if he is still there I'd love this pick

Great pick and could certainly be there

Big time leader on the UGA D as well. I love this pick and really hope he is there for us

With the Ellington pick this one is a bit surprising. I think I might look at OLine depth or maybe another LB. However I'm not upset with this pick at all

Great pick. Not an OSU fan but this guy would immediately replace Roland

I havn't seen him play but if he is as good as you say I like it
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
So if Shawn Williams is taken by another team prior to the Bengals 5th round selection (117th overall), which other 4th round or 5th round safety is of starter calibre?

In round 4-5 at safety we could find players like:
Duke Williams
Jonathan Cyprien(looking good in senior bowl practice)
D.J Swearinger
T.J McDonald
Robert Lester

This draft class is so deep in safetys, I like it.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsfromCanada View Post
Duke Williams
D.J Swearinger
T.J McDonald
Robert Lester

We've thrown more than one 5th rounder at the S spot and so far, none of them have landed. Might be time to **** it up and get one early.

Not saying I don't like your draft. I just think the S spot has to be fixed this year.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Graduated Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
We've thrown more than one 5th rounder at the S spot and so far, none of them have landed. Might be time to **** it up and get one early.

Not saying I don't like your draft. I just think the S spot has to be fixed this year.
I completely agree. My mock will be very different post-free agency and post combine. I think a lot of those safetys could end up in first 4 rounds.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2447

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post

This or get a starting S in FA. Kenny Phillips or LaRon Landry come to mind and are realistic to land in stripes.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

[quote=BengalDawg;2787917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBENGALfanatic View Post

Really good Draft I think for us overall. If Ogletree is gone at 2 I might look at taking Kaseem Green with 2b and take the best DE/S available at 2a. Overall I like where your head is at.

I love this pick and would drastically improve the WR and the offense

I know this is not the most original choice but it makes too much sense. If he slips out of the first round I would be surprised but being a 4-3 MLB may limit his value by most teams who run the 3-4.

Ogletree is a 3-4 MLB. I also see him more in an OLB role for us. If he fell this far then I'd be thrilled with this pick. The only way I see him falling is with a sub par combine

The only knock on Hunt is his age. At 26 he is old for a draft pick, but again if he is still there I'd love this pick

Great pick and could certainly be there

Big time leader on the UGA D as well. I love this pick and really hope he is there for us

With the Ellington pick this one is a bit surprising. I think I might look at OLine depth or maybe another LB. However I'm not upset with this pick at all

Great pick. Not an OSU fan but this guy would immediately replace Roland

I havn't seen him play but if he is as good as you say I like it
Thanks for check in this out and for the feedback! I didn't know Ogletree was more of a 3-4 ILB I have read reports saying he is a 4-3 MLB? Either was this is something to consider and if true makes me want a natural 4-3 MLB. Maybe Vontaze to the middle like we all have thought about is the best option.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

The FA SS is up to you. I put some work into this draft don't have the time to research the UDFA SS. I know there are some good ones though, I would love Jairus Byrd but that is unlikely. I am just saying if this is how it unfolds (taking a SS later outside of the first 3 picks) I would feel better with a vet SS in the mix.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Duke Williams
D.J Swearinger
T.J McDonald
Robert Lester

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/FS
McDonald - 3rd round grade
Robert Lester - 3-4th round grade
Swearinger - 3-4th round grade
Jonathan Cyprien - 4-5th round grade
Duke Williams - 5-6th round grade

Would any of these players be "starter" calibre players? I don't think so.

Taylor Mays was a 2nd rounder. The deeper in the draft, the higher the probability of bust.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBENGALfanatic View Post
The FA SS is up to you. I put some work into this draft don't have the time to research the UDFA SS. I know there are some good ones though, I would love Jairus Byrd but that is unlikely. I am just saying if this is how it unfolds (taking a SS later outside of the first 3 picks) I would feel better with a vet SS in the mix.
So, please help us to understand the "work" that you put into and the logic behind really not addressing nor fixing the arguably largest hole on the Bengals roster (strong safety).

Or are you a Chris Crocker fan?

Free Agency seems to be a magic wand that mysteriously fixes glaring holes.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Graduated Newbie

Quote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/FS
McDonald - 3rd round grade
Robert Lester - 3-4th round grade
Swearinger - 3-4th round grade
Jonathan Cyprien - 4-5th round grade
Duke Williams - 5-6th round grade

Would any of these players be "starter" calibre players? I don't think so.

Taylor Mays was a 2nd rounder. The deeper in the draft, the higher the probability of bust.
That doesn't even make sense. Most of the prospects can either become a bust or a quality player. Some of them have a better chance and I trust the bengals in their scouting. In the same year as Mays, Chancellor was selected in round 5 and is a pro bowler.
Atkins was a 3rd round pick and is the best player on this team. Your argument is invalid.

ps. CBS has McDonal as 3-4 rd(105th overall, that puts him in round 4)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
That doesn't even make sense. Most of the prospects can either become a bust or a quality player. Some of them have a better chance and I trust the bengals in their scouting. In the same year as Mays, Chancellor was selected in round 5 and is a pro bowler.
Atkins was a 3rd round pick and is the best player on this team. Your argument is invalid.

ps. CBS has McDonal as 3-4 rd(105th overall, that puts him in round 4)
Geno Atkins was a 4th round pick; he wasn't a 3rd round pick. And Atkins is a fluke. If the NFL teams realized that Geno would be the best DT in the league in his 3rd year, Atkins would have gone in the 1st.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geno_Atkins

To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe any of these mocks are created by a member of the Bengals Scouting department. WTS, there isn't an implicit "trust" for a mock draft by a fan.

Kam Chancellor had a red-shirt rookie year on the Seahawks. The Bengals can't afford a red-shirt rookie year for our safety.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kam_Chancellor

To me, the Bengals need to draft a safety in the 3rd round or earlier.
  • Nate Clemons will not be a Bengals in 2013.
  • There is a strong possibility that Chris Crocker won't be a Bengal in 2013.
  • Jeromi Miles has proven that he can't be a starting calibre safety in the NFL.
  • Robert Sands just was busted for beating his girlfriend, and there is a chance he won't be a Bengal in 2013.
Current 2013 Safety Corp:
FS: Nelson/Iloka
SS: Mays/Dye

If Nelson would be injured, our safety corp would implode.

Again, imo, the safety corp needs to be addressed in the 3rd round or earlier.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
So, please help us to understand the "work" that you put into and the logic behind really not addressing nor fixing the arguably largest hole on the Bengals roster (strong safety).

Or are you a Chris Crocker fan?

Free Agency seems to be a magic wand that mysteriously fixes glaring holes.
Your attitude ***** balls man! Look at the way you ask questions. You are a condescending *****. The work I put in was including details on each pick. Not just a name and link.

I understand the need but I take into consideration that not every safety you love is going to be on the board. If they are do they out value the other players also available. I personally think its a deep class and last I checked the defense finished in the top 10 and the offense struggled. Round 1 needs to be a difference maker.