Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2606
Default Vegeterian lifestyle

Im thinking about becoming a vegeterian. for health and other reasons. I was just wondering if there are any vegeterians on the board here and if so, what is it like being a vegeterian?

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24332
Default Re: Vegeterian lifestyle

What are the health benefits?

And by what criteria, calories, volume,food flavor overall happiness, animal suffering, etc.. are you weighing to make your choice?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 25812

Eating vegetables is never a bad thing. Seems like it could be a little more difficult to get all the nutrients you need strictly from vegetables and will take a true commitment from yourself. It can be done, will just take more prep time most likely. I don't condone it...i believe a mix of animal protein and greens can benefit the body greatly.

Silver back gorillas are vegetarians and yolked...so there is that.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people

Last edited by Who2Dey; 01-22-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
What are the health benefits?

And by what criteria, calories, volume,food flavor overall happiness, animal suffering, etc.. are you weighing to make your choice?
health is my primary motive right now as one person would not make a difference in deminishing the intake of meat in this world. Just health.

it something ive been thinkin about for a while, just havent met any vegeterians to know what its like.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 25812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
health is my primary motive right now as one person would not make a difference in deminishing the intake of meat in this world. Just health.

it something ive been thinkin about for a while, just havent met any vegeterians to know what its like.
Turkey is good for you and can replace red meat in certain dishes if spiced right.

If I was you I'd start by eating healthier with meat included. Start by a morning shake consisting mostly of Kale...add an apple or two with some other greens. Do it for a week and see how you feel after taking two colon cleansing dumps per day. If you feel you need to take it to another level after that...so be it.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12274

If you are a regular meat eater, I suggest you ease into it, not just go cold-turkey. You will need proteins. You can get them from eggs (or egg whites), tofu and fish. I tried a vegetarian diet. It's very difficult as your appetite will never really feel satiated. You have to watch out for your starch intake. Starches can fill you but the end product also produces a form of sugar. I had to cut back on the starches (rice, potatoes, pasta, flour products) because I am borderline diabetic.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Health is easy enough to achieve with a reduction of calorie intake.

What is the purpose behind diminishing the world's meat intake? I can understand if it was about avoiding red meat as the amount of beef produced per pound of feed in often in excess of 9 or 10 pounds versus 1 pound of gain, but if you consider chicken, rabbit, or the leanest of lean in fish, believe talapia is closest to a 1 to 1 gain... For a solid protein profile, go with beans and rice.

I am all about reducing the subsidies farms get for their products, and thus driving up prices of the less healthy meats in addition to removing corn as a cheap additive to every product out there. Similarly, I am curious as to why some turn vegan, almost to engage this opinion, with nebulous beliefs.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
If you are a regular meat eater, I suggest you ease into it, not just go cold-turkey. You will need proteins. You can get them from eggs (or egg whites), tofu and fish. I tried a vegetarian diet. It's very difficult as your appetite will never really feel satiated. You have to watch out for your starch intake. Starches can fill you but the end product also produces a form of sugar. I had to cut back on the starches (rice, potatoes, pasta, flour products) because I am borderline diabetic.
My family on both sides have a history of health issues such as heart problems, diabetes and some nervous system issues. Im just trying to think of all avenues to improve my health.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51069

Quote:

Health is easy enough to achieve with a reduction of calorie intake.

What is the purpose behind diminishing the world's meat intake? I can understand if it was about avoiding red meat as the amount of beef produced per pound of feed in often in excess of 9 or 10 pounds versus 1 pound of gain, but if you consider chicken, rabbit, or the leanest of lean in fish, believe talapia is closest to a 1 to 1 gain... For a solid protein profile, go with beans and rice.

I am all about reducing the subsidies farms get for their products, and thus driving up prices of the less healthy meats in addition to removing corn as a cheap additive to every product out there. Similarly, I am curious as to why some turn vegan, almost to engage this opinion, with nebulous beliefs.
There's more to health than just reducing caloric intake. There are lots of things you only get with produce.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17106
bengals Re: Vegeterian lifestyle

i like me some 'quate....
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

There's more to health than just reducing caloric intake. There are lots of things you only get with produce.

Of course there is.

Hence the query and question as for his basis for "health." Though for the most part, whatever you get with produce, you can get with vitamin supplementation, so the second part isn't quite accurate...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 80054

I'm not a vegetarian, nor do condone or propose a wholly vegetarian diet. However my diet is approximately 90% to 95% vegetarian right now. And what little meat I do eat is primarily wild, grazing animals such as venison, bison, etc. I do have eggs every now and then, but only organic free-ranging.

The amount of meat consumed per person in this country is grossly absurd in relation to our dietary needs. Our bodies were not designed to handle so much meat in our diets over such long periods of time and systems fail as a result. Many of you will learn this the hard way as you age. Additionally, the demand for meat has caused the food industry to take certain shortcuts in the production of meats which have negative impacts upon our bodies (added antibiotics and growth hormones, increased risk of ingesting e coli virus from grain-fed beef, mercury and heavy metal in fish, etc.).

There is nothing that is in meat or poultry that you cannot get from vegetarian sources. In fact, you can find greater concentrations of some things (like protein) and better delivery systems into body from some vegetarian sources. But, as I said before, I am not a vegetarian myself. I like the taste of meat every once in awhile. The fact that I limit how often I have meat makes me more fully appreciate the taste even more. I would caution you or anyone else who is thinking of becoming a vegetarian to do some research. You need to be educated on which nutrients you need to replace from meats and poultry and what sources you can get them from.

If you really want to give your body a huge health surge in a short period of time, consider juicing. Check out the video and/or website for "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and you'll see what I'm talking about. You get a juice machine (a machine that chops up veggies and extracts their juices) and you make veggie juice drinks with it. Basically, you put in about ten pounds of vegetables to generate say about a liter of juice. The juice that is extracted retains almost all of the nutritional value of that 10 lbs of veggies, but you don't have eat 10 lbs worth of veggies (which would be quite difficult in one meal). Most people don't eat nearly enough vegetables in this country. The thing is, when your body begins to process the nutrients from vegetables it has been missing, it does some pretty amazing things.

Last edited by Bengalzona; 01-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post

If you really want to give your body a huge health surge in a short period of time, consider juicing. Check out the video and/or website for "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and you'll see what I'm talking about. You get a juice machine (a machine that chops up veggies and extracts their juices) and you make veggie juice drinks with it. Basically, you put in about ten pounds of vegetables to generate say about a liter of juice. The juice that is extracted retains almost all of the nutritional value of that 10 lbs of veggies, but you don't have eat 10 lbs worth of veggies (which would be quite difficult in one meal). Most people don't eat nearly enough vegetables in this country. The thing is, when your body begins to process the nutrients from vegetables it has been missing, it does some pretty amazing things.
But you don't get any fiber with the juice, right?

Basically, there is nothing wrong with eating meat. Humans evolved as omnivores, and I am not about to argue with natural selection. The problem is that we eat way too much meat. Almost everyone would benefit from reducing their intake of meat, but this does not require that you become a complete vegetarian.

However I believe that you can also be healthy as a vegetarian.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 80054

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
But you don't get any fiber with the juice, right?

Basically, there is nothing wrong with eating meat. Humans evolved as omnivores, and I am not about to argue with natural selection. The problem is that we eat way too much meat. Almost everyone would benefit from reducing their intake of meat, but this does not require that you become a complete vegetarian.

However I believe that you can also be healthy as a vegetarian.
I mix apples in when I juice. Apples have good fiber. Or you can augment with peas, nuts, seeds, and kiwis. I actually eat kiwis a lot anyway just as a snack.

The one thing that I do add to my juices from the animal world is an Omega 3 supplement. You can get Omega 3's naturally from certain nuts, flaxseed, etc. But I've been told that there is a difference in the way the body processes Omega 3 from fish that is better.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
Im thinking about becoming a vegeterian. for health and other reasons. I was just wondering if there are any vegeterians on the board here and if so, what is it like being a vegeterian?
I would move to eating Healthier before becoming a Rabbit.

If your worried about health and red meat etc. try fish and chicken... Bake things instead of Frying. Have green veggys with every big meal.

Cut soda out of the diet drink water.

My dad had became a vegetarian for a few years due to health concerns.. But He started being ill from lack of meat in his diet and his doctor basically put him on a Meat Pill. So, Best of luck which ever way you go...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54630

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
his doctor basically put him on a Meat Pill.
I offer free meat injections for anyone who is interested.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Quote:
I'm not a vegetarian, nor do condone or propose a wholly vegetarian diet. However my diet is approximately 90% to 95% vegetarian right now. And what little meat I do eat is primarily wild, grazing animals such as venison, bison, etc. I do have eggs every now and then, but only organic free-ranging.

The amount of meat consumed per person in this country is grossly absurd in relation to our dietary needs. Our bodies were not designed to handle so much meat in our diets over such long periods of time and systems fail as a result. Many of you will learn this the hard way as you age. Additionally, the demand for meat has caused the food industry to take certain shortcuts in the production of meats which have negative impacts upon our bodies (added antibiotics and growth hormones, increased risk of ingesting e coli virus from grain-fed beef, mercury and heavy metal in fish, etc.).

There is nothing that is in meat or poultry that you cannot get from vegetarian sources. In fact, you can find greater concentrations of some things (like protein) and better delivery systems into body from some vegetarian sources. But, as I said before, I am not a vegetarian myself. I like the taste of meat every once in awhile. The fact that I limit how often I have meat makes me more fully appreciate the taste even more. I would caution you or anyone else who is thinking of becoming a vegetarian to do some research. You need to be educated on which nutrients you need to replace from meats and poultry and what sources you can get them from.

I just watched Hungry for Change on Netflix the other day. Talked on some of the issues you guys have covered. Made me want to try limit the grains, get more fish and vegatables in my diet. It's somewhat tough, I had a huge energy crash for the first couple of days. Didn't realize my body was so dependant on starch.
I am starting lose some mild chest pain I was having, and so now I am starting to also look at sodium as well.
I will definitely have to try that juicer.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
I would move to eating Healthier before becoming a Rabbit.

If your worried about health and red meat etc. try fish and chicken... Bake things instead of Frying. Have green veggys with every big meal.

Cut soda out of the diet drink water.

My dad had became a vegetarian for a few years due to health concerns.. But He started being ill from lack of meat in his diet and his doctor basically put him on a Meat Pill. So, Best of luck which ever way you go...
Yes, there can be issues like that sometimes. I've been a vegetarian for about 15 years. I take protien and energy supplements because I'm very active and work out a lot, but have never had any health problems because of not eating meat.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5765

I was on a vegan diet for almost 2 years. The year before that, I was on a vegetarian diet. My ex wife was a vegan and to make shopping trips easier, I ate the same diet. There seem to be many interpretations on what an actual vegetarian is. For the record, full blown vegetarians do not eat fish. Many people think that they do. Someone who eats only fish and vegetables is called a pescetarian.

Anyhow, it takes a lot of will power to do it properly but you can get all the essential vitamins and nutrients from vegetables. The toughest thing about veganism for me was the lack of dairy products. I can handle almond milk and soy milk, but the cheese substitute weirded me out.

At home I'm still on a very low meat diet. When making something that typically calls for ground beef (hamburger helper type things) I substitute a can of light red kidney beans. It makes me feel much more full than using ground beef.

Also if your looking to have a healthier but still meat option, you should look into ground bison. It's much leaner than beef and has a higher iron per unit weight than ground beef. But look out, it's expensive.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 644

My friend is vegan and I have tried vegan for short stretches and have been vegetarian for long stretches of time.

Vegetarian diets are very good for weight control as long as you watch the starches, like another poster said. They are also very good for regularity. Sometimes, full vegan diets lead to lack of complete proteins and shortages of some other nutrients. Humans have incisors, after all, which are meant for tearing and eating meat.

For me it's best to eat meat in small quantities, like a couple of sausage links with eggs for breakfast or chicken chunks in my salad.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51069

Quote:

Of course there is.

Hence the query and question as for his basis for "health." Though for the most part, whatever you get with produce, you can get with vitamin supplementation, so the second part isn't quite accurate...
Your estrogen supplement is too high.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post

Must be from what they inject into the chickens to produce more eggs.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

How so, or is that just a clever ad hominem?

Just interested as to why he's choosing the lifestyle and the criteria. People can be vegetarians for many reasons, like my friend who made the change because he believed that the flavor of meat was overpowering in a lot of foods. Don't agree with it, but it works for him.

I think everyone should increase their daily intake of fruits and veggies, and others in the thread have given good tips on how to do so.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12921

I've pretty much cut out meat unless I go out to eat.

It wasn't to save the animals or anything like that although it is a perk.

But by switching to a more vegetable and soy type of diet my blood pressure has went down by about 35 points. Mind you I didn't lose an exorbitant amount of weight either. It's a simple process calories in vs calories out. I maintain my same amount of caloric intake, so that didn't change.

I'm still banging the weights out in the gym, my strength has decreased a bit especially when I only eat fruits and veggies that day. I supplanted typical beef type meals with all natural peanut butter, veggie burgers, and beans and rice. When I eat heavy before lifting I barely even notice. But I do tend to eat a bunch of egg whites still.

Plus nitrates in meat scare the hell out of me.

RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13

Last edited by spinksjinx; 01-22-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21502

Quote:

I tried juicing for a week. It took up way too much time, energy, and money. Whoever can stick with it, I commend you.