Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1115
Default Re: Comparing Flacco to Dalton...in the playoffs

Quarterback Dalton is 0-2 in consectutive wild card games.

Quarterback Flacco has appeared in 5 consectutive playoffs and now appears in the Superbowl.

Is there a comparison?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20148

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
The team factors in. Ryan did lead the Falcons to the best record in the NFL this year...

Big difference between that and being a 6th Seed.
Bengals were either 11th-13th best record.

Just saying.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2318

Quote:
The team factors in. Ryan did lead the Falcons to the best record in the NFL this year...

Big difference between that and being a 6th Seed.

I heard the stat but can't remember it during the playoffs, and it was how many times, SB history has the team with the best seasonal record won the SB. It was a surprising low number.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post

Quarterback Flacco has appeared in 5 consectutive playoffs and now appears in the Superbowl.

Is there a comparison?
Are reading the other posts?

Flacco is in year 5 and as the OP pointed out, his personal stats were horrific in the first few years, BUT he wins because of the team around him and a stellar defense.

Like I was saying, what do we want? A QB with great stats and wins an occasional playoff game or a QB with above average stats and has a complete team around him that goes to the playoffs and wins?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 398

Quote:
The Ravens have also surrounded him with weapons. Torrey Smith, they acquired Boldin. They go out and make moves.

The Bengals gave Dalton a guy waived off of Jacksonville's practice squad in Binns, Tate who obviously isn't a #2 or #3 WR, and 2 rookies. Big difference!
And don't forget Housh and Mason.

This whole thing is actually kind of sad. The Ravens lost 4 of their last 5 games and were stumbling and bumbling into the playoffs. Word on the street was Flacco may NOT be resigned! They played the last game of year for correction, upgrade, and to get some things going. The Bengals played it to win and "maintain momentum". Guess who got it right. I would have loved to have lost the game 40-30 just to have some offensive vitality.

It is and it isn't momentum. It is not about winning necessarily. It is maintaining the edge, or getting the edge. We did NOT have any offense vs Philly, vs Pitt, vs Balt., and vs Houston. We were healthy. And a couple of these teams are bottom tier defensive teams. The primary objective in the Ravens game should have been scoring 40 points. Then we would have had the edge.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13590

Interesting fact (maybe); didn't Flacco and Dalton have nearly identical stats last year? And didn't Flacco have less TD's than Dalton this year, despite throwing more passes?

Someone want to look in to that? This Wi-Fi ***** and I don't feel like finding 4G.

Anyways, my point is a good running game can get you far and a good defense can get you further.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11343

Quote:
He was the 1st pick in the draft and his stats are much better than Daltons. Apples and Oranges.
He was a 1st round pick, but also lost his first playoff game. And his stats his first year were actually very comparable to Dalton's. But don't forget, Dalton has to play the Browns, Steelers, and Ravens defense all twice a year.

Matt Ryan? The Bucs, Saints, and Panthers defense. Definitely not as difficult.

Also, Dalton led his team to the playoffs twice his first two seasons. Matt Ryan did not.

Ryan's first two seasons: 6,356 passing yards, 38 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, 25 INTs, 83.4 passer rating, 1 playoff appearance, 0 playoff wins.

Dalton's first two seasons: 7,067 passing yards, 47 passing TDs, 5 rushing TDs, 29 INTs, 83.5 passer rating, 2 playoff appearances, 0 playoff wins.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Comparing Flacco to Dalton...in the playoffs

According to some on here, Dalton is the best in the league, when in fact, he is not even in the top 15, he will be a also ran by his 5th. year.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13590

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
According to some on here, Dalton is the best in the league, when in fact, he is not even in the top 15, he will be a also ran by his 5th. year.
Forgetting the fact that this fan base would've run Peyton Manning out of town after a couple of failed playoff appearances.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38259

Quote:
Flacco is the only QB in NFL history to win a playoff game in each of his 1st 5 seasons in the NFL. The team plays a big role in that, but still impressive.
"Team played a big role" is an understatement. They blew the Patriots out with Flacco going 4-10 for 34 yards and a pick.

If Dalton were doing stuff like that then I'd say, "yea, screw him" but it's not even close. It's clear the offensive deficiencies are hurting his performance, especially against the better defenses. Not because Dalton isn't good enough to perform well against a good defense but because good defenses shut down one dimensional offenses....i.e. the Ravens vs. the Patriots in that spectacular playoff winning performance by Flacco.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20148

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post

Ginger Jesus IS the best QB.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25877

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post

Is there a comparison?
Don't know yet do we? We have two consecutive appearances so the rest of the story has not been written. I have never seen the likes of people absolutely looking for reasons to hate on someone like Dalton on these boards.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8983

Flacco has 6 road playoff wins.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
He was a 1st round pick, but also lost his first playoff game. And his stats his first year were actually very comparable to Dalton's. But don't forget, Dalton has to play the Browns, Steelers, and Ravens defense all twice a year.

Matt Ryan? The Bucs, Saints, and Panthers defense. Definitely not as difficult.

Also, Dalton led his team to the playoffs twice his first two seasons. Matt Ryan did not.

Ryan's first two seasons: 6,356 passing yards, 38 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, 25 INTs, 83.4 passer rating, 1 playoff appearance, 0 playoff wins.

Dalton's first two seasons: 7,067 passing yards, 47 passing TDs, 5 rushing TDs, 29 INTs, 83.5 passer rating, 2 playoff appearances, 0 playoff wins.
None of this matters because Matt Ryan is Matt Ryan and Andy is not. The comparisons only work when people on these boards can use them to make Andy look bad. There will be some excuse as to why this is acceptable for Ryan but it is not for Andy.

Bottomline .....people need a scapegoat for everything and it has been pinned on Dalton. Common sense and logic have no place in this.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Flacco has 6 road playoff wins.
And?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
And?
I just made a true statement. Do you dispute it?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
To be fair, one was the 1st pick of the draft and one was a 2nd Round pic. One is much more talented physically with arm strength.

Does anyone dispute this?
I do.

Matt Ryan was not the 1st pick in the draft, he was the 3rd, Jake Long was the 1st.

Also, Ryans arm strength was the only perceived flaw in his game coming out if I remember correctly.

IMO, he isn't known for a cannon arm but more for smarts, accuracy, leadership and pocket presence.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattryan/310/combine
Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43940

Funny how we have to try to make other QBs look bad to compare them to Andy.

"Look Ryan sux as bad as Andy"

"Look Flacco suc'd as bad as Andy"

ect...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post

ect...
We don't have to try and make them anything. The stats speak for themselves! I'm just glad management doesn't pay any attention to some of you couch coaches. The patience of the Ravens management and the Falcon management has and will, respectively, payoff. Sit back and enjoy the ride or band wagon on to a winning team. Tired of hearing all the weeping and complaining
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

ect...
Good point. It's always failures of Player A...or Player B has a questionable arm strength too.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post
We don't have to try and make them anything. The stats speak for themselves! I'm just glad management doesn't pay any attention to some of you couch coaches. The patience of the Ravens management and the Falcon management has and will, respectively, payoff. Sit back and enjoy the ride or band wagon on to a winning team. Tired of hearing all the weeping and complaining
Yes...the Ravens were really patient with a QB who won at least 1 playoff game in each of his years in the league. He has also won 6 road playoff games. They have Been very patient. 2 conference championships in a row.

Had they not won a playoff game in 23+ years...well they might not be as patient.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

ect...
Actually, Ryan was always better and always had the team to help him out too. I'd still say he's better though regardless. Flacco on the other hand actually did play worse, much worse, but the Ravens are a strong enough team in other facets that they won playoff games anyway.

The same garbage that's happening with CK this year happened with Eli last year. A good team gets hot and now the QB of that team is suddenly the best thing since vag. Temper your enthusiasm is all I'm sayin'. Let Dalton be at the helm of a more balanced and talented offensive unit and apparently a lot of folks are gonna be surprised at how good he looks.

Write that down Nostradaumus.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes...the Ravens were really patient with a QB who won at least 1 playoff game in each of his years in the league. He has also won 6 road playoff games. They have Been very patient. 2 conference championships in a row.

Had they not won a playoff game in 23+ years...well they might not be as patient.

Then change teams! Why be that miserable and frustrated??

The Ravens have only been in existence 17 years BTW.

The Falcons have won one playoff game in the last 5 years and Matt Ryan is 1-4 in the playoffs! Too much patience for the Falcons??? Off with Ryan's head?????
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43940

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Actually, Ryan was always better and always had the team to help him out too. I'd still say he's better though regardless. Flacco on the other hand actually did play worse, much worse, but the Ravens are a strong enough team in other facets that they won playoff games anyway.

The same garbage that's happening with CK this year happened with Eli last year. A good team gets hot and now the QB of that team is suddenly the best thing since vag. Temper your enthusiasm is all I'm sayin'. Let Dalton be at the helm of a more balanced and talented offensive unit and apparently a lot of folks are gonna be surprised at how good he looks.

Write that down Nostradaumus.
Didn't say I was down on Andy, just found it ironic a lot of the threads are "Look how bad this QB suc'd; just like our Andy".

Obviously I wish Andy the best and I'm gonna have to decline the newb's advice to "band wagon on to a winning team".
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM
MB HOF Inductee

It's always the QB.

I'll never understand it.

Mannings, Brees, Rodgers, some ppl thrown Fatty Rapey in there but I don't.

They're all sitting at home, while more balanced teams that got hot at the right time are in the dance.

It's obvious to me that what I've been saying all along is true but the "QB is everything" folks combat that by just adding another guy to their ever growing list of "Elite" QBs whenever another team wins the SB.

Lulz, guess you guys are right.