Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2109
Default Senior Bowl practice notes

Watching the south practice today

QB: EJ Manuel looks like the best QB prospect out of the bunch. Has a very strong arm and good accuracy.

WR: Tavaris King Georgia looks about the most NFL ready. Great Route runner and has the ability to blow by DBs

CB: BW Webb William & Mary looks fast and physical held his own in every 1 on 1 drill.

OG: Larry Warford Kentucy absolutely what the Bengals want at guard. Tough, physical, and doesn't give up an inch in pass pro

OC: Brian Schwenke California strong enough to hold up on bigger d lineman and athletic enough to get to the 2nd level in the run game

Last edited by bengals85; 01-22-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: Senior Bowl practice notes

Big fan of Tavares King. I think he's got the potential to be a very good #2. I know he's only 6ft, but his running style reminds me so much of AJ Green. Long, elegant strides, and good deep speed.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

King impressed me today. He was VERY good at route running and was able to get separation on one-on-one drills. Used his size as an advantage,

Brian Schwenke did a very good job blocking. Was very impressed by him, and could definitely see him raising his stock value.

Leon McFadden was a standout in the secondary today. He did very well in man coverage and even press coverage. Showed how physical he was. Also had 2 INTs

Robert Lester struggled today quite a bit on 1-on-1's. Couldn't change direction that well and would get lost on run plays. Pretty much today was not a good day for him.

Bacarri Rambo showed athleticism throughout the day. Granted, some times he would look tight in the hips, he still had a overall decent day.

Ansah showed his talent today, but also showed how raw he was. With Zimmer teaching him, I could see him turn into a star. Probably not his rookie season, but the year after.

Vance McDonald also had a great day.. Showed very good athleticism, and even pushed around Lester when he played press. McDonald could easily be a gem in this draft.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2549

I just finished watching the North practice and will add some of my thoughts from that squad.

David Quesenberry - OT/OG - Currently rated a 5th or 6th round prospect but could see a significant bump in his ranking if he continues to play as well as he has the past couple of days. Has stoned basically everyone during one on one drills as a Guard. Also has played some Tackle and has been ranked as a Tackle but looks to have a brighter future on the inside. Will be interesting to see how he does from that spot as a run blocker though. Certainly a guy to keep an eye on the next few months.

Jordan Poyer - CB - A guy that I have heard a lot about from various members of this board but hadn't payed a ton of attention to because I didn't think we would pick a CB early this season. I still am not sure we will pick one early but if we do this guy should be near the top of the list. Has looked really fast with great instincts and closing speed.

Datone Jones - DE - Measured in at 6'4" and weighed 280 lbs. which was rather impressive. The thing that stands out the most though is his explosiveness and speed for a guy that size. Will certainly be looking forward to his performance in the game this Saturday.

As for the QB's on this squad none of the guys have looked all that impressive, yet all 3 are likely to be gone by the time we are in the market for a backup. That is the good thing about having your starter in place though. If someone falls to the 5th round or so and has some upside then you take them. Otherwise no reason to try and reach for one of these guys.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

I haven't got to watch as much as I would like. But Brian Winters impressed me the little I saw yesterday.

Anybody watch today and get an impression from him?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
I just finished watching the North practice and will add some of my thoughts from that squad.

David Quesenberry - OT/OG - Currently rated a 5th or 6th round prospect but could see a significant bump in his ranking if he continues to play as well as he has the past couple of days. Has stoned basically everyone during one on one drills as a Guard. Also has played some Tackle and has been ranked as a Tackle but looks to have a brighter future on the inside. Will be interesting to see how he does from that spot as a run blocker though. Certainly a guy to keep an eye on the next few months.

Jordan Poyer - CB - A guy that I have heard a lot about from various members of this board but hadn't payed a ton of attention to because I didn't think we would pick a CB early this season. I still am not sure we will pick one early but if we do this guy should be near the top of the list. Has looked really fast with great instincts and closing speed.

Datone Jones - DE - Measured in at 6'4" and weighed 280 lbs. which was rather impressive. The thing that stands out the most though is his explosiveness and speed for a guy that size. Will certainly be looking forward to his performance in the game this Saturday.

As for the QB's on this squad none of the guys have looked all that impressive, yet all 3 are likely to be gone by the time we are in the market for a backup. That is the good thing about having your starter in place though. If someone falls to the 5th round or so and has some upside then you take them. Otherwise no reason to try and reach for one of these guys.
Datone Jones has been VERY impressive and his pass rushing tool box is more loaded than I thought. Also,Cornelious Washington looks very explosive coming off the edge. Marvin Lewis sighting as well....lol
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47073

Kudos to all of the board scouts! My new job has me busy during the day (and I'm not complaining about it), and I appreciate y'all sharing what you see.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Poyer and trufant were outstanding. If we could get either with a third or late second that would be a steal

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlesmiley View Post
Datone Jones has been VERY impressive and his pass rushing tool box is more loaded than I thought. Also,Cornelious Washington looks very explosive coming off the edge. Marvin Lewis sighting as well....lol
Washington is going to be a steal if he goes where he was being projected. He was miscast as a 3-4 olb at Georgia. He looks to be an explosive, and powerful 4-3 DE.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post
Poyer and trufant were outstanding. If we could get either with a third or late second that would be a steal
As good as Poyer has looked it seems like he would even be a steal at the top of the 2nd round. He certainly looks like a lock down corner and I'm starting to come around to everyone's thoughts about never having enough good corners.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
As good as Poyer has looked it seems like he would even be a steal at the top of the 2nd round. He certainly looks like a lock down corner and I'm starting to come around to everyone's thoughts about never having enough good corners.
Very true. Pickman hasn't exactly been durable. And we still don't know what we have with Kirkpatrick. Clements, Newman, Allen, and Crocker are all very replaceable as well, it will not hurt my feelings if none of those four are back.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
Very true. Pickman hasn't exactly been durable. And we still don't know what we have with Kirkpatrick. Clements, Newman, Allen, and Crocker are all very replaceable as well, it will not hurt my feelings if none of those four are back.
We know we have Hall but really after that who knows? Pacman is pretty solid but he has multiple injuries over the years. Kirkpatrick is obviously a guy we all want to be good but once again we just don't know about injuries. I think Clements, Crocker, and Allen are all probably gone. Newman is a guy that will more than likely be back and he certainly played better than I thought he would last season. With that said though he is getting up there in age and whatever you get out of him should be a bonus and not counted on. Being a passing league why not have depth and competition at the corner position. A lot of options in the first few rounds this season and it'll be interesting to see what direction we go.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2897

Gonna be a homer here

Has anyone seen what Chris Harper from KSU has been doing? He is one of the guys I was hoping CIN takes a look at.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Just finished watching south practice again. A few thoughts.

Quinton Patton is the real deal.

Tavarres King has insane feet and release. Great route running.

Robert Lester is stiff.

Rambo looks like he might project better to Strong Safety.

Shawn Williams covers very well for a Strong Safety

Warford is near immoveable.

Cornelius Washington is blazing fast, has great strength, and hand fighting skills. I want even more now.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post

Unfortunately he had way too many big drops at UGA or he could be much higher

Robert Lester is stiff.

He could really do either depending on system, here Id go SS

I have thought for awhile he could be the better pro of the two. Rambo higher upside but also lower floor.

Cornelius Washington is blazing fast, has great strength, and hand fighting skills. I want even more now.
Really like him. Could be a big time steal.
Some thoughts in bold.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:

Robert Lester is stiff.

I've wanted patton for a while now, i hope we draft him!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I've wanted patton for a while now, i hope we draft him!!!!
I thought that was you that had mentioned him a while ago. I poo pooed him at first but then I started watching more game film and came away very impressed.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
I thought that was you that had mentioned him a while ago. I poo pooed him at first but then I started watching more game film and came away very impressed.
He'd be a solid #2 for us. I've heard him being compared to Reggie Wayne so if he's anything close to that it would be a no brainer.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 767

Schwenke, Gilkey, Washington are animals, love these kids motors. Lance Johnson looked great. King looked good, Hamilton at WR had explosion. I would love to see the Bengals add weapons through free agency and then gooble up DLs and OLs through the draft.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5535

The last two days have sold me on Barner. I was worried he couldn't pass protect and he couldn't run inside. At this point I am good with spending a 2nd on him. He has the play making ability that we desperately need.

Last edited by Au165; 01-23-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
The last two days have sold me on Barner. I was worried he couldn't pass protect and he couldn't run inside. At this point I am good with spending a 2nd on him. He has the play making ability that we desperately need.
Honestly, I think Barner will climb the highest in this draft class. He's right now projected to go in the 4th (mostly), and so far has looked good.

I think he's going to be a standout during this year's combine as well, and that will definitely push him forward

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Honestly, I think Barner will climb the highest in this draft class. He's right now projected to go in the 4th (mostly), and so far has looked good.

I think he's going to be a standout during this year's combine as well, and that will definitely push him forward
Thats fine by me I went back and watched a few games after posting and I am fine with spending our Raiders pick on him if we feel like we need to. A home run hitter at RB is a major need and he fits it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3390

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2013lattimore.php

Interesting brief interview here, with mention of the the Bengals.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2013lattimore.php

Interesting brief interview here, with mention of the the Bengals.
I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him for this simple reason. He is the only back in this draft who going in looks the part of an all pro back. He has looked the part for two years and it's worth the risk for the reward.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29596

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Watching the south practice today

QB: EJ Manuel looks like the best QB prospect out of the bunch. Has a very strong arm and good accuracy.
I have an assocaite at work who is a huge FS alum and fan. Watches every game and attends many still even though he has young children. He re-watches the games and analyzes them, and I find his analysis to be fairly spot on week to week, when I watch highlights of the games.

With that said a few phrases of his come to mind in regard to EJ Manuel and here they are....

All the physical tools, but....
....doesn't check down.
....itchy feet. (runs too often)
....doesn't see the field.
....comes up small in big situations.
....not a great leader

Thus it doesn't surprise me that EJ looks the best in practice because he has all the physical tools, but he comes up short in every "in-game" situation, that requires his head.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!