Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Nothing like one game defining a career. Hmmm .....wonder if we could find that one game for each guy you have listed. Not much to wonder about really we all know we could.
Way to get your panties in a defensive bunch. I said exactly that he looked bad in his bowl game. You, as usual, get defensive about your judgement being questioned. But go ahead and look at the guys I listed. Compare their performances in the biggest game of their season. Look at Rambo and Williams vs Bama, and Jefferson in his bowl game. Let me know if they disappear like Thomas.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 985

No love for Eric Reid? Highest rated safety in the class according to many sites. I haven't looked at it enough to have an opinion. Anyone?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Thomas 17 View Post
No love for Eric Reid? Highest rated safety in the class according to many sites. I haven't looked at it enough to have an opinion. Anyone?
Personally, I think Reid will be an asset to whichever team drafts him, but he just looks too inconsistent to me. Timid at times. Great leadership, but I don't see him being the impact player like Jefferson, Swearinger, Thomas, or Elam. If I had to rank them right now, those would be my top 4 at SS. Vacarro and Rambo at FS.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25926
bengals Re: Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Way to get your panties in a defensive bunch. I said exactly that he looked bad in his bowl game. You, as usual, get defensive about your judgement being questioned. But go ahead and look at the guys I listed. Compare their performances in the biggest game of their season. Look at Rambo and Williams vs Bama, and Jefferson in his bowl game. Let me know if they disappear like Thomas.
No actually what you stated is the bowl game performance dropped your opinion of him. I am stating you cannot judge a player by a single game rather a body of work. There was nothing defensive about it just a poor assumption by you.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Personally, I think Reid will be an asset to whichever team drafts him, but he just looks too inconsistent to me. Timid at times. Great leadership, but I don't see him being the impact player like Jefferson, Swearinger, Thomas, or Elam. If I had to rank them right now, those would be my top 4 at SS. Vacarro and Rambo at FS.
OK, thanks. Here's another question. Zimmer plays a defense where our aren't really classified as strong or free. He expects them to be able to run support as well as ball hawk at center field. So actually I have two questions.

1. Should we be looking primarily at players classified as strong or free safeties?
2. Which 3 safeties are the best players for our system?

Anyone?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
OK, thanks. Here's another question. Zimmer plays a defense where our aren't really classified as strong or free. He expects them to be able to run support as well as ball hawk at center field. So actually I have two questions.

1. Should we be looking primarily at players classified as strong or free safeties?

Anyone?
Phillip Thomas would be a great fit as him and Reggie are similar with Thomas probably a little better in coverage. However, both support the run well.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 152

greg jennings would be a good vet wr to sign, but he'll probably want way too much, and no to reggie bush, he is terrible, as far as the draft def need some lb's and a good safety as well as a good o-linemen, there are no standout rb's in this class so no need to waste a 1st or 2nd rounder on one, kenjon barner, andre ellington, joseph randle, zac stacey and stefon taylor are more than enough of what the bengals need, also no need to draft a wr we have 3 young ones who are good
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3073

Quote:

Anyone?
I don't think we want a guy who is classified as a SS.

Vaccaro is an example of a guy who IMO fits the kind of S we want.
Thomas would also be a nice fit.
Xavier Rhodes, yes I know he is a CB but he would be a great S.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonist7 View Post
greg jennings would be a good vet wr to sign, but he'll probably want way too much, and no to reggie bush, he is terrible, as far as the draft def need some lb's and a good safety as well as a good o-linemen, there are no standout rb's in this class so no need to waste a 1st or 2nd rounder on one, kenjon barner, andre ellington, joseph randle, zac stacey and stefon taylor are more than enough of what the bengals need, also no need to draft a wr we have 3 young ones who are good
? Are you in the same discussion as everyone else?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4383

The Bengals have shown a propensity to slowly integrate many of their rookies. They made strides with Burfict, but that was largely out of necessity. Heck, Geno sat a long time before being given a starting job...as did MJ and Dunlap. For the safety position to impact the defense next year, it almost has to be a FA.

They could still draft a safety for depth and groom him behind Nelson and a FA, and the choices are pretty solid. One of the deeper drafts at safety I've seen in a while. However, this team is so close right now, it needs a veteran with experience and NFL toughness. I'm really hoping for Goldson or Byrd.

I love the idea of sliding a few picks to get Ogletree and an additional third rounder. Chicago isn't taking him...their bigger need is oline.

That speedy, coverage beastlus Goldson would make the Bengals strong in the middle of the defense and force things outside where Lamur, Burfict, Hall, and Kirkpatrick will be waiting.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Elam to me has the best football instincts and best closing speed of any safety in the draft. He reminds me of Troy. I'm not sure if he fits because Reggie is at his best when he can roam and make plays which is the same with Elam. We can't have two of those guys or we'll get burned all day. We have to find a Ryan Clark type of safety which I have yet to see in this draft.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storer50 View Post
I like Rambo. Draft Ogletree in the first, Rambo with 2b,I think they would have some chemistry.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
I just don't see Ogletree available at #21, He will be gone by #15 in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 379

I wonder if we can't address SS in FA? I guess it comes down to whether or not we want to get younger on defense or offense. I would like to see a guy like Byrd or Goldson for SS. Do you guys feel like we can do better in FA in offense or defense?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by QEDuhh View Post
I wonder if we can't address SS in FA? I guess it comes down to whether or not we want to get younger on defense or offense. I would like to see a guy like Byrd or Goldson for SS. Do you guys feel like we can do better in FA in offense or defense?
Not sure. I am in the build through the draft kind of guy, but at the same time its essential to get good Free agents. I would rather draft a safety that we can have for many years rather than a stop gap for a few. I dont know what centers are in FA but i think that could be filled through FA as you dont necessarily need a first round center. RB should also be filled in the draft as RBs get a lot of wear and tear quickly and the fresher the better. Linebackers can go either way.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

I like Rambo, Vacarro, Tony Jefferson and Shuan Williams.

Not a fan of Elam at all. Not much coverage skills but is a big hitter. But his big hits aren't going to be legal in the NFL.

If we land any of the 4 guys at the top though, I would be extremely happy.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by QEDuhh View Post
Byrd would be my wet dream, but I highly doubt he's leaving Buffalo. Same with Goldson, especially if they win the SB, or he'll demand big money which I doubt would happen coming from us. Only realistic FA out there is Laron landry and noooooooo thank you on that.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8778

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Phillip Thomas - Fresno State
Yes.

It really gets to me just how little respect and spotlight he gets. I've personally seen him play tons of times and he is a true ball hawk. He flies around the field and makes plays. We need to add him to our defense.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post

Not a fan of Elam at all. Not much coverage skills but is a big hitter. But his big hits aren't going to be legal in the NFL.

why does everyone want rambo? he's a late 3rd or 4th rounder, i want a safety who can tackle and cover a TE and thats vaccaro reid mcdonald or elam. as for elam's big hits its because he's in good position to make those hits same for reid but he's a bit of headhunter for me
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22557

I find it interesting that there so many people have so many different favorites. Nothing close to a majority opinion.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrass*bengal View Post
in my opinion im SOLD on Elam. The guy can flat out tackle and hit Hard. He brings an attitude to the team.....kind of like Burfict!
I'm with you man! This kid is going to be a player! I bet it would have to be round 1 or 2a FO Elam.

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post

I dot get the huge knock in Elam's coverage ability. He is solid!

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 106

This is why I love the draft, every football fan in America arguing over who their favorite player is at X position. When it comes to Safety, I'm looking at overall talent, but just as important, I'm looking at demeanor, attitude, and practice habits. Having watched Jonathan Cyprien at the Senior Bowl, he is my favorite Safety in this class and he just may prove to be the best Safety at the Senior Bowl. Ahead of another guy I like, Bacarri Rambo.

I'm just putting everybody on notice right now, if Cyprien gets an invite to the Combine and runs well in the 40, look out. He is going to be climbing some boards.

Now, with that said. If we are to believe draftcountdown.com, the Bengals have only been confirmed to scout 3 players in 3 days. One of them being John Simon from OSU. The other that caught my eye is that the Bengals have talked to is TJ McDonald.

First, Simon. I'm a huge OSU fan, but WTF are you doing Bengals? He has a great motor, is a tremendous leader, and is more athletic than people give him credit for, but he's going to be a 2nd round pick. Just resign Johnson and be done with it.

Now, I like McDonald but he has a 1st round grade and I don't think he has that much more upside than Cyprien or Rambo, both who should be there in the 3rd. We have drafted well the last 2 years, don't start reaching for needs now. McDonald, at least in my opinion, is not a top 25 player.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storer50 View Post
I like Rambo. Draft Ogletree in the first, Rambo with 2b,I think they would have some chemistry.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
way too early for rambo bud.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBENGALfanatic View Post
I dot get the huge knock in Elam's coverage ability. He is solid!
yea i dont know what this dudes talking about, elam is very good in coverage, just becuase he over excells at tackeling doesnt mean he lacks in coverage ha...I almost like all the safeties this year
Matt Elam
Kenny Vacarro
Tony Jefferson
Eric Reid
Phillip Thomas
Baccari Rambo
DJ Swearinger
TJ Mcdonald
Duke Williams
Shamarko Thomas

Id be happy with anyone of these guys. Dont like shaun williams tho i think he is weak and feeds only off of rambo. no thanks on shaun.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post
Elam to me has the best football instincts and best closing speed of any safety in the draft. He reminds me of Troy. I'm not sure if he fits because Reggie is at his best when he can roam and make plays which is the same with Elam. We can't have two of those guys or we'll get burned all day. We have to find a Ryan Clark type of safety which I have yet to see in this draft.
Totally agree on Elam. Steelers have Polamalu; Ravens have Ed Reed, Browns have TJ Ward. Elam is the Bengals answer to those guys. He just has that attitude and presence on the field. Yeah, he seems a little freewheeling at times, but I have no doubt Zimmer will put some polish on him and make him that much better. That said, I agree with you about Nelson, which makes me think, why not? Might be a fierce duo back there. With Hall and Kirkpatrick at corner, our secondary could go to 11.