Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3827
Default Re: The Offseason you foresee

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'd be okay with two of those three, as long as the value lines up with need.

But the third--FA, I want to fill one of these long standing holes with a proven player. I don't care which it is--RB, WR2, LB who can cover, S. Don't think it has to be a SS since Reggie can play both, just an NFL starting caliber S.

Fill these holes once and for all.
The safety position has me excited this year because there are so many options that I think its highly probably that we finally get that shored up.

Some good free agents I'd like to have, and if that fails this is probably the deepest safety class I can remember in the draft. This is a great year to need a Safety. And you're absolutely right, we're not limited to a FS or SS because Nelson can play both.

I think we'll head into next year with this position finally taken care of, and I've been waiting for that forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE D-MAN View Post
The only thing a Bengals fan and a Steelers fan can enjoy at the same time is a Steeler fan's sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
I ****ed a girl from Pittsburgh once. She was a Steelers fan. She was cockeyed and smelled like Rolling Rock and failure.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29814

Quote:
I'd be okay with two of those three, as long as the value lines up with need.

But the third--FA, I want to fill one of these long standing holes with a proven player. I don't care which it is--RB, WR2, LB who can cover, S. Don't think it has to be a SS since Reggie can play both, just an NFL starting caliber S.

Fill these holes once and for all.
I think trying to fill ONE hole with a proven player is a sound idea. The problem is there is a certain diluded contingent on these forums that thinks MOST of hte holes can be filled through FA. We all know who they are. They will become very vocal in the next few weeks after the SB as FA approaches. I'm expecting at least 5 hreads a day from the one attention "prostitute" who spams the forums every year between February and May.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoredcar View Post
The safety position has me excited this year because there are so many options that I think its highly probably that we finally get that shored up.

Some good free agents I'd like to have, and if that fails this is probably the deepest safety class I can remember in the draft. This is a great year to need a Safety. And you're absolutely right, we're not limited to a FS or SS because Nelson can play both.

I think we'll head into next year with this position finally taken care of, and I've been waiting for that forever.
That would be such a relief. With good planning and maybe a bit of luck, all those spots could be filled in this one offseason.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
I think trying to fill ONE hole with a proven player is a sound idea. The problem is there is a certain diluded contingent on these forums that thinks MOST of hte holes can be filled through FA. We all know who they are. They will become very vocal in the next few weeks after the SB as FA approaches. I'm expecting at least 5 hreads a day from the one attention "prostitute" who spams the forums every year between February and May.
I think it's more than sound. I think it's a must. Would definitely open up the draft.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21759

Quote:
I think it's more than sound. I think it's a must. Would definitely open up the draft.
Right !

If we're truly gonna take the next step, a couple proven vets is a must. The kicking the tires time is over.

There's no doubt you have to build thru the draft. But there's also no doubt you have to fill holes via FA !

And that isn't including used up has-beens, just back from serious injury dudes, and problem children might a beens !

We need a couple true in their prime proven players, yes it's that simple, and we've got the cash !
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

I wouldn't expect this offseason to be any different than the past. I would expect them to try and lock up the fa they want to retain. They will sign 2-3 mid level free agents after the rush is over and they will proceed to the draft. This is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on who they retain/sign. I can see brown staying over nugent and being signed cheaper. A Reggie bush/amendola signing, if it happens, would be our big free agent acquisition.

I'll leave my draft picks until later, after seeing what they do.

Looking forward to seeing how they get to the minimum.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben zoo 2 View Post
I wouldn't expect this offseason to be any different than the past. I would expect them to try and lock up the fa they want to retain. They will sign 2-3 mid level free agents after the rush is over and they will proceed to the draft. This is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on who they retain/sign. I can see brown staying over nugent and being signed cheaper. A Reggie bush/amendola signing, if it happens, would be our big free agent acquisition.

I'll leave my draft picks until later, after seeing what they do.

Looking forward to seeing how they get to the minimum.
Yea, pretty sure this is the year the salary floor actually kicks in. I'd be curios to know how much they have to spend just to hit that floor, whatever it is.

One way or another, wherther we "signed our own" or not, we were always top ten in room under the cap. I wonder how much they have to spend and how far is that from the max vs. the average of what we usually leave ourselves under the cap every year.

That would give us an idea of how much more money than usual we may see go to signing FAs this year. And with the new rookie wage scale, that would also increase how much money the Bengals will have to spend somewhere (either on our FAs or someone elses) by rule on player salaries this year.

I'm at work man....somebody look this krap up lol.

Last edited by savagehenry54; 01-22-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2767

First off, we have a Decent Draft

We resign a few of our talented positions and the rest walk. Free Agency is a success to the Front Office, but the fans see it as a bust once again as the major players don't even get a whiff of Paul Brown Stadium.

Sanu gets healthy and up to speed as the slot guy and Jones sticks to the outside.

Gresham continues to fumble around the playbook and Charles is brought in when passing work is needed.

A speed back is brought in through free agency or the draft to compliment the plodding ways of BJGE.

Dalton gets a bit of his confidence back.

Next season Gruden improves the offense to around 15th in the league.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51921

I believe we'll have a very similar offseason to last year's. Another round of signings of depth players in free agency followed up with a decent draft. Then the fan base rejoices when we announce that Geno has signed a long term deal at the beginning of training camp.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Nebraska football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-254
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

This is how I see it playing out with Free Agency and the Draft.

Andre Smith - I think he walks in FA, the Bengals make an offer but a OL needy team like the Cards give him much more than he is worth. They won't offer him more than Whit makes and the franchise tag is North of 15 mil for tackles. If he walks I see a FA like Gosder Cheriulus taking his spot.

Geno Atkins gets a MONSTER extension.

Mike Johnson - Franchise Tag, if not and he walks I could see them going after Matt Shaughnessy of the Raiders.

Rey - Walks

MLB - Burfict

OLB - 2 Mid-Tier FA like Howard, Leroy Hill, Phil Wheeler, D Levy

SS - Mid Tier FA, Bengals have never really invested a high pick on a safety so I don't see them doing it this year. Always try to get proven guys here like Whitner last year.

WR - I think they are happy with Jones/Sanu and will let them develop. I think the Bengals are set on getting their stars from the draft so its highly unlikely that they chase the Dwayne Bowes and Greg Jennings in FA.

Top 4 draft picks

1 = DE/CB
2 = RB
2 = DE/CB
3 = LB

The rest of the team depth is made up of low draft picks and former high round busts lol.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5721

A bunch of guys will want some big name FA's. We will instead bring in some older/"bust" FA's that everyone claims are horrible and washed up. We will then have a very good draft that everyone claims was magical. The FA's will start slow and get blasted, but in the end pan out and Zimmer/Lewis will be called personnel geniuses.

Dalton will improve with the help of an improved running game and a healthy Sanu Jones combo. Burfict will stay on the outside and we will bring in a veteran MLB to mentor a rookie MLB we draft in the 3rd. Kirkpatrick will have a decent year some will say he is a bust others will say he is doing well, but it will be to early to tell.

We will make the playoffs and win a game, but will be eliminated. Gruden and Zimmer will both leave to coach other teams and Marvin Lewis will be resigned for two year.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Oh yes, I almost forgot, we will sign some freak athlete that has underperformed somewhere else (see: Manny Lawson, Taylor Mays)
lol:

I predict we will be disappointed with at least one of our FAs getting away. Any FA signed from another team will likely not be the game-changer that we need. The draft will be pretty good, and we will be hopeful as usual that the players drafted will be super stars. I hope NOT to be too disappointed.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1861

I think Mike Brown is going to fool alot of naysayers this year.
He will open up that fat wallet and pay for some top tier FA.
We will also have a solid draft.