Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36824
Default Re: Vegeterian lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I tried juicing for a week. It took up way too much time, energy, and money. Whoever can stick with it, I commend you.
Steriods are Bad man.... You shouldnt be juicing thats like cheating in the weight room.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26220

I could never go herbivore.
I need a good mix of meat and veggies in my life.

As long as this doesn't lead you to join PETA, going vegetarian isn't that bad I suppose.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26220

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Steriods are Bad man.... You shouldnt be juicing thats like cheating in the weight room.
Yeah but he already made millions off his Tour de France titles.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24332

I've pretty much cut out meat unless I go out to eat.

It wasn't to save the animals or anything like that although it is a perk.

But by switching to a more vegetable and soy type of diet my blood pressure has went down by about 35 points. Mind you I didn't lose an exorbitant amount of weight either. It's a simple process calories in vs calories out. I maintain my same amount of caloric intake, so that didn't change.

I'm still banging the weights out in the gym, my strength has decreased a bit especially when I only eat fruits and veggies that day. I supplanted typical beef type meals with all natural peanut butter, veggie burgers, and beans and rice. When I eat heavy before lifting I barely even notice. But I do tend to eat a bunch of egg whites still.

Plus nitrates in meat scare the hell out of me.

The soy may be the problem, if that's a main source of protein. If I remember correctly caucaisians have a tough time getting the most from soy protein sources, something like only absorbing 17% of it. Maybe if you change up the source, the added protein will aid in some strength gain/restoration.

Sounds like you made a change for the better. What source do you use for eggs whites? Don't have a great recommendation, just curious.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Yeah but he already made millions off his Tour de France titles.
That guy should get Prize in chemistry.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Your estrogen supplement is too high.

How so, or is that just a clever ad hominem?

Just interested as to why he's choosing the lifestyle and the criteria. People can be vegetarians for many reasons, like my friend who made the change because he believed that the flavor of meat was overpowering in a lot of foods. Don't agree with it, but it works for him.

I think everyone should increase their daily intake of fruits and veggies, and others in the thread have given good tips on how to do so.
I also love the fact that schools around the country are really starting to promote healthier food options for their students. There was a chef that went to West Virgina and changed a schools whole food program. They made a show about it, but I can't recall the name.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12921

Quote:

But by switching to a more vegetable and soy type of diet my blood pressure has went down by about 35 points. Mind you I didn't lose an exorbitant amount of weight either. It's a simple process calories in vs calories out. I maintain my same amount of caloric intake, so that didn't change.

I'm still banging the weights out in the gym, my strength has decreased a bit especially when I only eat fruits and veggies that day. I supplanted typical beef type meals with all natural peanut butter, veggie burgers, and beans and rice. When I eat heavy before lifting I barely even notice. But I do tend to eat a bunch of egg whites still.

The soy may be the problem, if that's a main source of protein. If I remember correctly caucaisians have a tough time getting the most from soy protein sources, something like only absorbing 17% of it. Maybe if you change up the source, the added protein will aid in some strength gain/restoration.

Sounds like you made a change for the better. What source do you use for eggs whites? Don't have a great recommendation, just curious.
The only time I use soy is if I have like soy milk. Which isn't very often, but it helps with my bloating.

I buy eggs from whatever is the cheapest at the store, or a lady from work will bring us brown eggs from her farm who has cage free chickens.

I don't oppose yolks just hate the taste so I will separate it and make scrambled egg whites, omelettes, or hard boiled eggs.

RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 25812

Quote:

I've always heard the soy increases estrogen levels. Didn't care to research...just stayed away.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17942

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I tried juicing for a week. It took up way too much time, energy, and money. Whoever can stick with it, I commend you.
Thats what I was thinking 10 lbs of veggies per day can break the bank eventually
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13923

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Thats what I was thinking 10 lbs of veggies per day can break the bank eventually
You have about as much chance of going vegetarian as I do of walking on the surface of mars. A man with a love affair with smoking pounds and pounds of delicious animal. I love it.

Anyway, yeah 10lbs of veggies to make one liter of juice? WTF. One liter is supposed to satisfy a person all day? Or even for a meal? Sure, I may feel full after guzzling a liter of liquid for at least an hour but then Im ravenous again.

The cost of going to a juice diet would be nearly impossible for me to take on even though I have thought about trying it for a long time. Plus, someone here mentioned the lack of fiber in a juice diet. Is this true? Because I need my fiber.

Now even whole grains arent good for you. Even though we were told for so long to get plenty of whole grains in our diet. Now Im reading that we need to limit grains. Fish used to be good but now its bad because it contains mercury. Ugh
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
I'm not a vegetarian, nor do condone or propose a wholly vegetarian diet. However my diet is approximately 90% to 95% vegetarian right now. And what little meat I do eat is primarily wild, grazing animals such as venison, bison, etc. I do have eggs every now and then, but only organic free-ranging.

The amount of meat consumed per person in this country is grossly absurd in relation to our dietary needs. Our bodies were not designed to handle so much meat in our diets over such long periods of time and systems fail as a result. Many of you will learn this the hard way as you age. Additionally, the demand for meat has caused the food industry to take certain shortcuts in the production of meats which have negative impacts upon our bodies (added antibiotics and growth hormones, increased risk of ingesting e coli virus from grain-fed beef, mercury and heavy metal in fish, etc.).

There is nothing that is in meat or poultry that you cannot get from vegetarian sources. In fact, you can find greater concentrations of some things (like protein) and better delivery systems into body from some vegetarian sources. But, as I said before, I am not a vegetarian myself. I like the taste of meat every once in awhile. The fact that I limit how often I have meat makes me more fully appreciate the taste even more. I would caution you or anyone else who is thinking of becoming a vegetarian to do some research. You need to be educated on which nutrients you need to replace from meats and poultry and what sources you can get them from.

If you really want to give your body a huge health surge in a short period of time, consider juicing. Check out the video and/or website for "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and you'll see what I'm talking about. You get a juice machine (a machine that chops up veggies and extracts their juices) and you make veggie juice drinks with it. Basically, you put in about ten pounds of vegetables to generate say about a liter of juice. The juice that is extracted retains almost all of the nutritional value of that 10 lbs of veggies, but you don't have eat 10 lbs worth of veggies (which would be quite difficult in one meal). Most people don't eat nearly enough vegetables in this country. The thing is, when your body begins to process the nutrients from vegetables it has been missing, it does some pretty amazing things.
Or, why not just have a V-8?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 31089

Ever since I discovered a local butcher that buys locally I will never even consider becoming a vegetarian.

Grassfed, No hormones etc. Good stuff.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sharp View Post
or a bloody mary the Healthy Booze.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 80132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sharp View Post
V-8's aren't fresh. There is a vast difference in the amount of nutrients in fresh vegetables than processed and stored vegetables. V-8's are better than most stuff you might buy at a convenient store, but they don't even compare with fresh vegetables nutritionally. Additionally, V-8's have some of the additives and preservatives that aren't good for your body.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by browns town bengal View Post
You have about as much chance of going vegetarian as I do of walking on the surface of mars. A man with a love affair with smoking pounds and pounds of delicious animal. I love it.

Anyway, yeah 10lbs of veggies to make one liter of juice? WTF. One liter is supposed to satisfy a person all day? Or even for a meal? Sure, I may feel full after guzzling a liter of liquid for at least an hour but then Im ravenous again.

The cost of going to a juice diet would be nearly impossible for me to take on even though I have thought about trying it for a long time. Plus, someone here mentioned the lack of fiber in a juice diet. Is this true? Because I need my fiber.

Now even whole grains arent good for you. Even though we were told for so long to get plenty of whole grains in our diet. Now Im reading that we need to limit grains. Fish used to be good but now its bad because it contains mercury. Ugh
You ever wonder why you feel that ravenous? The food industry in the U.S. learned decades ago to manipulate tastes using sugar, salt and gluten. There are only five general taste categories that the human body recognizes: sweet, bitter, sour, salty and umami. These tastes occur in natural foods. But food businesses realized early on that sweet and salty tasting foods could be used to create additional hunger cravings, even when the body was full. There is a reason why everything they sell in a convenient store tastes either sweet or salty. And much of the stuff sold that is sweet or salty has little real nutritional value. When you aren't taking in nutritious food, this produces a double whammy: your body craves sweet and salty foods while it is also craving foods with certain nutrients. But most people only realize that they are hungry. So they buy the foods they crave like chips, sodas, ice cream, etc. The body keeps sending the signal that it is starving for certain nutrients, but that signal is only perceived as "I'm still hungry". So people buy more chips, sodas, and ice cream etc. Our portions in this society are beyond excessive, they are obscene.

What you find out on a juice diet is, you don't actually need as much as you think you need. When your body receives the specific nutrients it needs, it is no longer hungry. While you still have cravings for certain tastes, there is no actual hunger supporting those cravings. Hence, you don't overeat or replace nutritious foods with bad foods.

Last edited by Bengalzona; 01-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9585

Quote:
You ever wonder why you feel that ravenous? The food industry in the U.S. learned decades ago to manipulate tastes using sugar, salt and gluten. There are only five general taste categories that the human body recognizes: sweet, bitter, sour, salty and umami. These tastes occur in natural foods. But food businesses realized early on that sweet and salty tasting foods could be used to create additional hunger cravings, even when the body was full. There is a reason why everything they sell in a convenient store tastes either sweet or salty. And much of the stuff sold that is sweet or salty has little real nutritional value. When you aren't taking in nutritious food, this produces a double whammy: your body craves sweet and salty foods while it is also craving foods with certain nutrients. But most people only realize that they are hungry. So they buy the foods they crave like chips, sodas, ice cream, etc. The body keeps sending the signal that it is starving for certain nutrients, but that signal is only perceived as "I'm still hungry". So people buy more chips, sodas, and ice cream etc. Our portions in this society are beyond excessive, they are obscene.

What you find out on a juice diet is, you don't actually need as much as you think you need. When your body receives the specific nutrients it needs, it is no longer hungry. While you still have cravings for certain tastes, there is no actual hunger supporting those cravings. Hence, you don't overeat or replace nutritious foods with bad foods.
Zona...serious question here. What are your thoughts on the Paleo or Warrior diet? While my losses are slow (per the trainers at my gym its because of my type of training-power lifting) the inches I'm losing are where the inches are supposed to be lost. I've pretty much cut out all processed grains and all starches. My vegetable intake is greater than it was.

I agree, organic is the way to go. I just wish it was more mainstream so it didn't cost so much.

And no, SCS, I'm not losing inches in my crotch.

Not yet, anyway.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Zona...serious question here. What are your thoughts on the Paleo or Warrior diet? While my losses are slow (per the trainers at my gym its because of my type of training-power lifting) the inches I'm losing are where the inches are supposed to be lost. I've pretty much cut out all processed grains and all starches. My vegetable intake is greater than it was.

I agree, organic is the way to go. I just wish it was more mainstream so it didn't cost so much.

And no, SCS, I'm not losing inches in my crotch.

Not yet, anyway.
I like the general concepts. But what what one person considers to be a Paleo diet, someone else might dispute. For example, there is some dispute as to what percentage of meat paleolithic man would have had in his diet. If you go with a meat-heavy paleolithic diet, then it sort of becomes an Adkins Diet and there are some issues with that. However, I can't find a lot of fault with a Paleo Diet with high percentages of vegetables, fruits and nuts. That would be an ideal diet, especially if you augment the vegetable part of the diet with juicing.

In your situation where you are training, you have a double-edged sword. You need to keep your caloric intake high to support the high-energy activities. But you also want to eat foods that fill your nutritional need and don't leave residual fats, etc. A healthy diet will do that. I wouldn't worry about losses in pounds if you are packing on muscle in your training. Muscle weighs more than fat. It is even possible that you can gain weight and still be healthier. Back in my Army days, we used to have a problem because some of the guys who were very intense on bodybuilding and weightlifting routinely didn't meet the height/weight table charts. Yet they were among the most healthiest guys in the units. Eventually the Army wised-up and started using body-fat indices and tape tests.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Back in my Army days, we used to have a problem because some of the guys who were very intense on bodybuilding and weightlifting routinely didn't meet the height/weight table charts. Yet they were among the most healthiest guys in the units. Eventually the Army wised-up and started using body-fat indices and tape tests.
This was my major problem after I had my Gall Bladder removed when I was 22-in the Army. The docs repaired one of the abdominals in a distended state. I kept working out, but I couldn't pass that stoopid test until I requested they tank me. I had to go all the way up to the Sgt. Major. I was 5'9" and 215-the Army thought I should be 170-ish.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browns town bengal View Post

You're definitely missing a lot of nutrients juicing and it is a waste imo. I went out and bought a kick *** Ninja blender that will shred the entire vegetable to a soupy consistency once you add a Lil liquid to it. Power through that in the morning and you are getting everything those vegetable have to offer.

I still eat cake, fast food, and a **** ton of red meat and the vegetable shake keeps it all from building up in your gut.,

FYI- elvis had 50 lbs of waste in his body at the time of his death. Get your fiber up!
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

[size=3]I agree, organic is the way to go. I just wish it was more mainstream so it didn't cost so much.]
Organic or vegetarian? A recent study has shown that there isn't much difference between organic and non organic fruits and vegetables, so you can go ahead and save the 20 cents per apple there. You can eat perfectly healthy on the same budget but it will require a little more prep time.
Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
You do know why organic cost more right? it going main stream wouldnt reduce cost it would raise it on most food.

Its organic because its not grow with any chemicals to keep insects and things off which means a lower yeild of crops in most cases. Which is why the price is so high.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
You do know why organic cost more right? it going main stream wouldnt reduce cost it would raise it on most food.

Its organic because its not grow with any chemicals to keep insects and things off which means a lower yeild of crops in most cases. Which is why the price is so high.

Yeah, I know. I also know I should be willing to pay for it, too, which I am. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I also know I should be willing to pay for it, too, which I am. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
I dont believe organic is all that much better for you... You could get the same benefits just from eating healthy and exercising.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

What are your thoughts on the Paleo or Warrior diet? While my losses are slow (per the trainers at my gym its because of my type of training-power lifting) the inches I'm losing are where the inches are supposed to be lost. I've pretty much cut out all processed grains and all starches. My vegetable intake is greater than it was.

You might want to look back on the history of that particular "diet." It was originally a diet developed by Mauro Di Pasquale when he was a multiple time power lifting champion in the 70's and 80's. Then it moved to more to mainstream when Dan Duchaine wrote about his version, contained in the book, Underground Body Opus, which I used all through my rugby career with great efficacy. Then it was further morphed into the common Atkins diet in removing the carb up cycle, needed for shocking the body and aiding muscle growth. Now, every author under the sun has come out with their version of the Pasquale's Anabolic Diet, which I believe he now markets as the Metabolic Diet.

Point is, it is nothing new. If you read the books by Duchaine, Underground Body Opus, and the earlier one by Pasquale, The Anabolic Diet, you get a lot more science ad understanding of the how and why of why the diet works and good methods for tweaking.

If you really like the science part, and playing with your actual amino acid intake/timing, then check out Pasquale's book, Amino Acids and Proteins for the Athlete - The Anabolic Edge. Very good book, and very likely will have to take a lot of notes if you hope to digest the information, still have a few cheat sheets I refer to now and then for info.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

I have heard it argued that organic is not so much better, fruit and veggie-wise, as the plants themselves produce more toxins and repellants to keep the bugs away. The difference being you can wash off a good about of the toxins from sprayed plants, but you cannot do the same with the organic products.

Not saying I agree with it 100%, but just tossing out some food for thought...