Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14058
Default What Does This Team Need to Do to Meet Your Expectations

Name any, and all, things this team/organization can do meet your expectations for the upcoming season. Consider these to be the bare minimum for you to feel satisfied. List them in any way that you'd like.

Marvin - Being that he's the head coach, I will mostly judge him on the overall performance of his team. So that being said, I expect 10 wins and at least one playoff win. I don't want to see this team take a step back record wise and it's time for him to do something in the postseason.

Jay Gruden - I want to see the offense make strides. I want to see him better utilize the RB's, both in how they're used in the run game and how they're used coming out of the back field. I want to see better use of the TE position as well. I expect this offense to finish in the top half of the league.

Zimmer - Just keeping doing what he's been doing. As long as we finish with a top 10 defense then I think he'll have done well with what he's given. Now if we make some splashes in FA or draft more on that side of the ball then this could go up.

Paul Alexander - I expect a top 3rd of the league line. I don't need numbers to qualify this, I just need to see it. You've been given more than most coaches and you have ample experience. Better than the preceding "expectation" I would love to see this guy fired. That would definitely meet my expectations as well, seeing this clown hit the road.

Dalton - I don't really have an issue with his numbers. If he's in the 85-95 range in rating that's ok. Higher, even better. But I want to see make strides in his game. I want to see him better make his progressions, and to utilize all of his targets. I want to see better accuracy on the deep ball. And I want to see more receivers hit in stride, allowing for more YAC. I expect a QB rating of at least 85, at least 3500 yards, and at least 28 TD's. I want a completion % of at least 60% and I want a playoff win. We go as he goes.

Green - I expect more of the same. Just give at least 80 catches, 1100 yards and 10 TD's and I'll be happy. And I really don't see him blowing these out of the water as a problem. Just keep it up.

BGE - Have to wait to see how the RB situation shakes out. I will say that I want them to increase their YPC. Our YPC has been awful since 2009. Let's see that closer 4.5 and up then 4.0.

Mike Brown - Make some, any, changes. Make a splash in FA. Trade some draft picks. Fire a position coach. Announce plans for a indoor facility. Create a team hall of fame. Change the uniforms. Something.

Express a desire to do better than what we have been recently, I don't want to hearing you patting yourself on the back in press releases. Do and say something that leads to believe that things are changing. Take advantage of the opportunity you have, and take a decent product and make it even better. Let people know that this franchise is committed to make their product as good as possible.

I could keep going, and get more specific, but I'll cut it short. As a whole I want what I listed for Marvin. I want a playoff win. I expect a playoff win. Anything less is failure and I'll be unhappy. Pretty simple.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 01-23-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34199
Default Re: What Does This Team Need to Do to Meet Your Expectations

Play a minimum of 16 games and give me something to look forward to each weekend.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Win the Super Bowl?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2746

Win a playoff game
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
Win the Super Bowl?
This is what I will start out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Play a minimum of 16 games and give me something to look forward to each weekend.
This is what I will end up with
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16507

Be competitive in every game and win a playoff game.

Give us something to be proud of and excited about in Northern Kentucky.

That's all I can really expect out of this team. After being conditioned to accept the pathetic 90s, that's all one can expect.

This team has proven that they can do it, so it can be summed up with I expect them to get over the hump.

There's lots of things that I HOPE for (indoor practice facility, GM, etc.), but I know better than to expect them, even with there being hints of both lately.

(I say proud of and excited about in Northern Kentucky because Cincinnati is just Northern Northern Kentucky )

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.

Last edited by bradfritz21; 01-23-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abspara View Post
Win a playoff game
I second that....or at least be competitive in the playoff game.

┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21353

I'd say make the playoffs as a #1 or #2 team. That would impress me -- even more than a playoff win. That would tell me this team has turned a corner to not just "making the playoffs".
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16507

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonFan View Post
I'd say make the playoffs as a #1 or #2 team. That would impress me -- even more than a playoff win. That would tell me this team has turned a corner to not just "making the playoffs".
*scratches head*

So us just making the playoffs, but not winning a game, would mean we've moved forward from us just making the playoffs being good enough?

*scratches head again*

The Giants won the two of the last five Super Bowls and they were a wild card team both years, so have they not turned the corner, either?

Good teams win when it matters and not just in the regular season, so we need at least one playoff win to say that we're a franchise that's legit.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5397

Competitive? That's Mike Brown's answer. Win a playoff game? That would be the barest of minimums. Players execute the directions of the coordinators, either very poorly or very well. I want to see the team execute their game plan as close to perfect as possible every game they play.

Here's the kicker...

I want the coaches to plan aggressively. I don't want to see any more, "manage the game, keep moving forward and let every possession end in a kick." I am pleading with Marvin right here and right now. Coach to win the freaking game instead of coaching to not lose the game. Marvin has been very successful-for the most part-against lesser teams on the schedule with that philosophy. However, against teams that are better or on par, he's not been as successful because the other team is more aggressive. Take the handcuffs off Gruden and let him use the full potential of the WCO. Whoever is on the field, the talent is there to score 28-35 points per game-even if Marvin Jones, Sanu or Hawkins is the #2 receiver and Gresham is the TE. Because the defense can hold opposing teams to less than 24 points per game, Marvin should be begging Gruden to be more aggressive.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1544
bengals Re: What Does This Team Need to Do to Meet Your Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
Name any, and all, things this team/organization can do meet your expectations for the upcoming season. Consider these to be the bare minimum for you to feel satisfied. List them in any way that you'd like.

Marvin - Being that he's the head coach, I will mostly judge him on the overall performance of his team. So that being said, I expect 10 wins and at least one playoff win. I don't want to see this team take a step back record wise and it's time for him to do something in the postseason.

Jay Gruden - I want to see the offense make strides. I want to see him better utilize the RB's, both in how they're used in the run game and how they're used coming out of the back field. I want to see better use of the TE position as well. I expect this offense to finish in the top half of the league.

Zimmer - Just keeping doing what he's been doing. As long as we finish with a top 10 defense then I think he'll have done well with what he's given. Now if we make some splashes in FA or draft more on that side of the ball then this could go up.

Paul Alexander - I expect a top 3rd of the league line. I don't need numbers to qualify this, I just need to see it. You've been given more than most coaches and you have ample experience. Better than the preceding "expectation" I would love to see this guy fired. That would definitely meet my expectations as well, seeing this clown hit the road.

Dalton - I don't really have an issue with his numbers. If he's in the 85-95 range in rating that's ok. Higher, even better. But I want to see make strides in his game. I want to see him better make his progressions, and to utilize all of his targets. I want to see better accuracy on the deep ball. And I want to see more receivers hit in stride, allowing for more YAC. I expect a QB rating of at least 85, at least 3500 yards, and at least 28 TD's. I want a completion % of at least 60% and I want a playoff win. We go as he goes.

Green - I expect more of the same. Just give at least 80 catches, 1100 yards and 10 TD's and I'll be happy. And I really don't see him blowing these out of the water as a problem. Just keep it up.

BGE - Have to wait to see how the RB situation shakes out. I will say that I want them to increase their YPC. Our YPC has been awful since 2009. Let's see that closer 4.5 and up then 4.0.

Mike Brown - Make some, any, changes. Make a splash in FA. Trade some draft picks. Fire a position coach. Announce plans for a indoor facility. Create a team hall of fame. Change the uniforms. Something.

Express a desire to do better than what we have been recently, I don't want to hearing you patting yourself on the back in press releases. Do and say something that leads to believe that things are changing. Take advantage of the opportunity you have, and take a decent product and make it even better. Let people know that this franchise is committed to make their product as good as possible.

I could keep going, and get more specific, but I'll cut it short. As a whole I want what I listed for Marvin. I want a playoff win. I expect a playoff win. Anything less is failure and I'll be unhappy. Pretty simple.
Here is SOME of the things i would love to happen.First, either draft or FA another center,O-line man, D-lineman, running back, safety,cb,mlb,and wide receiver.use your practice squad more for fill-ins each week.Bring in a top quarter-backs coach.Also, I would like to see this staff with mike brown agree to bring in a committee of top pros to evalute players, coaches, and the playbooks.Look at everything and spend some time doing it and leave nothing to chance.find out from others that are super in their field to give us a proper evualation of where they need to improve in all phases of coaching, players, game day decisions,playcalling and everything that could make us better.I feel like some folks outside of the organization could help us get better.alot of companies do this to get a jump on what they are missing within their ranks to upgrade their chances of being alot better.
Win at least one more game than last year regular season.Improve the offense by being more aggressive in the playcalling.Must score more points each game.The defense needs to improve against the pass and the tight-end covers.A goal should be to move up in the rankings each year, like a number one defense should be the goal.Get a REAL kick-returner that is a threat to the whole league.Someone that can burn it up and puts fear into every team.These are just a few things i think about.A team of experts that could look at this team and tell us what we need to do in all phases to be a ton better, from coaching to players to schemes to everything, but it will not happen.But would love to see it. We would immediately be a contender.I still believe alot of our players would not even make a top teams roster.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23903

Marvin - I want a playoff win. He's now 0-4 in the playoffs. If the team misses the playoffs, fire Marv. If the team doesn't win a playoff game, fire Marv. People will say that I'm being ridiculous, but this will be Marv's 11th year, and 3rd with Dalton/AJ. It's time to put up or shut up.

Jay Gruden - I want to see more of the creative plays that JoeList keeps bringing up. Plays that will offset the blitz. More easy throws for Dalton (he rarely was set up for easy completions). More creative routes. More crossing routes, drag routes and misdirection.

Zimmer - Keep up the good work.

Paul Alexander - I agree Paul is a joke. Check the list on my sig. Unfortunately, he's probably a lifer here. I'd like to see a run game that can consistently perform at a high level. Not just in 5 games late in the season. Other than that 5 game stretch, BJGE averaged 3.2 per carry. That would be worst in the league among regular backs. Keep our QB clean. 47 sacks was inexcusable. I know a few were on Andy, but that can be said about most QB's. 47 was still a lot. Oh...and please start the best player. Paul has a tendency to stick with "his guys" (Livings, Ghiaciuc, Cook) even when they're failing miserably.

Dalton - Settle down in the pocket and develop trust in our new #2 WR (I think we will sign someone). Dalton is definitely a work in progress. He played exclusively from the gun at TCU. In '11, Jay had Andy throwing the ball away at the first sign of trouble. In '12, Jay had Andy working on hanging on to the football and making plays. He did make more plays in '12, but he also took more sacks (not all his fault) and panicked at times when no one was open. I really think this will improve with time and more weapons. A more consistent run game would help too (other than the 5 game stretch, Law Firm averaged a pathetic 55 yards and 3.2 per carry).

Green - Don't drop any game winning TD passes. That cost us a shot at a division title. Other than that, stay elite.

BGE - Law Firm is exactly what Pats fans said he was: and outstanding professional who gets the yards that are there. He's outstanding in short yardage situations and rarely takes a loss. However, we need him to split carries with a more versatile (and faster) back.

Mike Brown - What Toast Jones said. Don't make changes for the sake of change, but sometimes change is necessary. Paul Alexander's unit had a terrible year. He should've been canned. A practice facility would be nice too. Also, do more things for the fans to make them feel appreciated or excited about the Cincinnati Bengals. The "pep rally" thing is nice, but he's only rewarding season ticket holders for lining his pockets. How about he actually open that up to ALL fans? It might actually get more people to buy tickets.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2901

If we resign our core guys wed be at a point where we should be making playoffs every year

Old 01-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Marvin - I want a playoff win. He's now 0-4 in the playoffs. If the team misses the playoffs, fire Marv. If the team doesn't win a playoff game, fire Marv. People will say that I'm being ridiculous, but this will be Marv's 11th year, and 3rd with Dalton/AJ. It's time to put up or shut up.

Jay Gruden - I want to see more of the creative plays that JoeList keeps bringing up. Plays that will offset the blitz. More easy throws for Dalton (he rarely was set up for easy completions). More creative routes. More crossing routes, drag routes and misdirection.

Zimmer - Keep up the good work.

Paul Alexander - I agree Paul is a joke. Check the list on my sig. Unfortunately, he's probably a lifer here. I'd like to see a run game that can consistently perform at a high level. Not just in 5 games late in the season. Other than that 5 game stretch, BJGE averaged 3.2 per carry. That would be worst in the league among regular backs. Keep our QB clean. 47 sacks was inexcusable. I know a few were on Andy, but that can be said about most QB's. 47 was still a lot. Oh...and please start the best player. Paul has a tendency to stick with "his guys" (Livings, Ghiaciuc, Cook) even when they're failing miserably.

Dalton - Settle down in the pocket and develop trust in our new #2 WR (I think we will sign someone). Dalton is definitely a work in progress. He played exclusively from the gun at TCU. In '11, Jay had Andy throwing the ball away at the first sign of trouble. In '12, Jay had Andy working on hanging on to the football and making plays. He did make more plays in '12, but he also took more sacks (not all his fault) and panicked at times when no one was open. I really think this will improve with time and more weapons. A more consistent run game would help too (other than the 5 game stretch, Law Firm averaged a pathetic 55 yards and 3.2 per carry).

Green - Don't drop any game winning TD passes. That cost us a shot at a division title. Other than that, stay elite.

BGE - Law Firm is exactly what Pats fans said he was: and outstanding professional who gets the yards that are there. He's outstanding in short yardage situations and rarely takes a loss. However, we need him to split carries with a more versatile (and faster) back.

Mike Brown - What Toast Jones said. Don't make changes for the sake of change, but sometimes change is necessary. Paul Alexander's unit had a terrible year. He should've been canned. A practice facility would be nice too. Also, do more things for the fans to make them feel appreciated or excited about the Cincinnati Bengals. The "pep rally" thing is nice, but he's only rewarding season ticket holders for lining his pockets. How about he actually open that up to ALL fans? It might actually get more people to buy tickets.
It's time for MB to sign Atkins to an extension and some of these other guys.

Also, it's time to sign an elite #2 WR. It's time tow in now.

This keeping cap space to build towards an uncertain future only works so long in the NFL. Reality is players get injured, players leave, other teams get better, your guys get worse...we are young, but who knows how long our window will be open?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17907

All those things stated by the OP. Short answer is take another step forward, two would be better.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8571

It's time for 11-12 regular season wins too!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I want the coaches to plan
Let's start there.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19283

My expectations for 2013 is to watch the team win in the playoffs while having a realistic shot at winning the Super Bowl by performing at the level needed to at the end of the season and in the playoff win(s). Anything short of this would be a failure.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8169

A Super Bowl ring. Everything else don't mean jack.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3525

We need to dominate on offense and defense to the point we are on nationwide network games every weekend, win playoff games and finally when Terry Bradshaw and the Steeler nation are CRINGING the weeks we play Pittsburg..... then we will win the Superbowl.

^ If everyone else saw the world as M B sees it!!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8910

Get better.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8825

get rid of rey dennis roland and kyle cook i would be happy with that
4th Jeremy Hill RB
5th Bene Benwikere CB
6th Eathyn Manumaleuna DT
6th Russell Bodine C
7th Ethan Westbrooks DE
7th James Morris LB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Henry Josey RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Qua Cox CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
A Super Bowl ring. Everything else don't mean jack.
This^^^. I would settle for the illusion that winning a super bowl mattered more than than the bottom line, even if it was just once.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
My expectations for 2013 is to watch the team win in the playoffs while having a realistic shot at winning the Super Bowl by performing at the level needed to at the end of the season and in the playoff win(s). Anything short of this would be a failure.

It's time for this coaching staff and team to produce.....period !
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1171

1. sign a free agent or 2 that isnt a 2nd or 3rd tier free agent
2. stop losing to the teams on your schedule , you should beat
3. win a playoff game