Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21476
bengals Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
The Jim Anderson who coached Pro Bowlers Icky Woods, Corey Dillon, James Brooks, etc, etc? That Jim Anderson is a moron?

Ummmm....your post is an epic fail!
He is a moron because he did not give the answer that some who are not members of a NFL coaching wanted him to give.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
You should read the entire conversation and not just some excerpt from some lame website. What he said makes perfect sense. He doesn't like the term "speed back." You have to be able to do more. You can't have some fast situational guy who can't run between the tackles or do some of the things your other RB does because then the defense knows exactly what you're doing based on who is in the game. You need versatile players. He wants someone who can do some of the things that BJGE can do plus add some extra dimensions or special attributes. You don't want a bunch of one-dimensional situational players.

Some people act like you have to have one short yardage guy, one fast guy, etc. Same wih WR. People think you have to have one guy who is a deep threat, one possession guy, one slot receiver. That's stupid. You want receivers who are threats to do all those things. Same with RBs.

I think morons who play fantasy football or madden forget how real football is played.
Seriously there is no place for common sense in this debates. Any chance , righf or wrong, to bash any member of the Bengals staff not named Zimmed is completely acceptable.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
To be fair, those are some very talented guys you listed. Don't know how much of their success can be directly attributed to ol' Jim. I think you or I could have coached those guys to the PB.
Of course because he is a member of the Bengals staff .....all credit for anything negative however anything positive had to be dumb luck or something so easy anyone could do it.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27546
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
The Jim Anderson who coached Pro Bowlers Icky Woods, Corey Dillon, James Brooks, etc, etc? That Jim Anderson is a moron?

Ummmm....your post is an epic fail!
All naturally talented guys. Also, we haven't had a good RB since Rudi J, and I attribute most of his success to a killer o-line. Benson was the epitome of mediocre here, other than when we did the unbalanced line/extra tackle stuff. Law Firm played terribly here in 9 of his 15 games. I don't get why Anderson gets a pass.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
All naturally talented guys. Also, we haven't had a good RB since Rudi J, and I attribute most of his success to a killer o-line. Benson was the epitome of mediocre here, other than when we did the unbalanced line/extra tackle stuff. Law Firm played terribly here in 9 of his 15 games. I don't get why Anderson gets a pass.
He does not get a pass he is good at his job.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18604

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Of course because he is a member of the Bengals staff .....all credit for anything negative however anything positive had to be dumb luck or something so easy anyone could do it.
Right. Ickey, JB and CD needed so much coaching. Take your unwarranted pizzy little sarcasm down the road. Learn how to talk to someone like a normal person, please. You could seriously use some respect.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Right. Ickey, JB and CD needed so much coaching. Take your unwarranted pizzy little sarcasm down the road. Learn how to talk to someone like a normal person, please. You could seriously use some respect.
So you are stating that the statement in regard to the coaching staff is not accurate? Sorry but it is. They get no respect for anything positive and all the credit for anything negative .....sorry pretty much a fact. If you took it as disrespectful or sarcastic then maybe it touched a nerve of truth. So which part of the statement is disrespectful or sarcastic?

Quote:

Last edited by OSUfan; 01-23-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
So you are stating that the statement in regard to the coaching staff is not accurate? Sorry but it is. They get no respect for anything positive and all the credit for anything negative .....sorry pretty much a fact. If you took it as disrespectful or sarcastic then maybe it touched a nerve of truth.
So you're just lumping me in what what everybody else says? What kind of nonsense is that?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
So you're just lumping me in what what everybody else says? What kind of nonsense is that?
Did you not make the comment to the effect that the success of our running backs really had nothing at all to do with him and pretty much only to do with their own talents?

Also waiting for the answer as to which part of the statement was disrespectful and or sarcastic.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
TImmyW, I mean OSU Fan, is used to lumping people together because he thinks he is better than everyone on here besides Denny.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Anderson was trying to blow so much smoke around that he confused himself half way through the comment.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Did you not make the comment to the effect that the success of our running backs really had nothing at all to do with him and pretty much only to do with their own talents?

Also waiting for the answer as to which part of the statement was disrespectful and or sarcastic.
Practically every word you say to anyone is sarcastic and disrespectful unless they agree with you.

Are you really trying to day those three guys needed a bunch of coaching? James Brooks was a finished product when he got here, just as a for instance.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
He does not get a pass he is good at his job.
Bengals rushing rankings:

2012: 18th in yards, 20th in yards per attempt
2011: 19th in yards, 27th in ypa
2010: 27th in yards, 32nd in ypa
2009: 9th in yards, 24th in ypa (surprising, considering how people think we were so great this year)
2008: 29th in yards, 30th in ypa

Either Jim Anderson is bad at his job, or someone else is.

So who do you hold accountable? Or do you find these numbers acceptable?

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Yes, log it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

after what i read IMO we arent drafting a small comp back runner like barner. could be wrong but thats what i got out of it. and that makes me happy! no need for em here.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Practically every word you say to anyone is sarcastic and disrespectful unless they agree with you.

Are you really trying to day those three guys needed a bunch of coaching? James Brooks was a finished product when he got here, just as a for instance.
Which part of the statement you referred to was disrespectful? Simple question. You saod ot was disrespectful so apparently there was something that seemed as such to you just asking what part it was.

The statement is nothing but true. The coaching staff minus Zimmer gets virtually zero credit for anything positive on these boards yet are trashed for the slightest little thing. There is nothing untrue about that.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Which part of the statement you referred to was disrespectful? Simple question. You saod ot was disrespectful so apparently there was something that seemed as such to you just asking what part it was.

The statement is nothing but true. The coaching staff minus Zimmer gets virtually zero credit for anything positive on these boards yet are trashed for the slightest little thing. There is nothing untrue about that.
Jim Anderson hasn't been good at his job in a long time.
Aside from Corey Dillion, in the last 20 years how many RBs has JA coached from a rookie to a successful NFL running back?

Also, the Bengals rushing stats compiled over the last 20 years, 1992-2012, is average at best.
17th in attempts
18th in yards
19th in tds
18th in yards per carry

That's the 20year average; and it's exactly that...average. In fact, the only year this team finished top10 in yards, tds, and ypc average was 1997; one year.

1997:
13th in attempts
9th in yards
1st in tds
7th in ypa

This was the year Carter and Dillon combined for over 1500 yards and 17 rushing tds. Haven't really had a combo like that since.

Just to make things more recent, since Rudi Johnson's departure after the 2007 season the running game has been horrible.

13th in attempts
20th in yards
24th in tds
27th in yards per attempt

We're in the top half of the league in attempts, but near the bottom in every other category. That means we keep running, but we go nowhere.

So, the only logical conclusion/s here, is that Jim Anderson is bad, Paul Alexander is bad, or both of them are bad.
I'm inclined to choose the last option.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 264

I think Anderson is saying that he wants to trade for Adrian Peterson. That way when BJGE comes out we can still run it between the tackles for 2 yards a pop, but he can do a few little extra things like break a tackle, make a cut, or actually outrun somebody.

Green-Ellis is horrible. I don't think it really matters who our running backs coach is.

TWO WORDS... SHARK WEEK.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49649

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Jim Anderson hasn't been good at his job in a long time.
Aside from Corey Dillion, in the last 20 years how many RBs has JA coached from a rookie to a successful NFL running back?

Also, the Bengals rushing stats compiled over the last 20 years, 1992-2012, is average at best.
17th in attempts
18th in yards
19th in tds
18th in yards per carry

That's the 20year average; and it's exactly that...average. In fact, the only year this team finished top10 in yards, tds, and ypc average was 1997; one year.

1997:
13th in attempts
9th in yards
1st in tds
7th in ypa

This was the year Carter and Dillon combined for over 1500 yards and 17 rushing tds. Haven't really had a combo like that since.

Just to make things more recent, since Rudi Johnson's departure after the 2007 season the running game has been horrible.

13th in attempts
20th in yards
24th in tds
27th in yards per attempt

We're in the top half of the league in attempts, but near the bottom in every other category. That means we keep running, but we go nowhere.

So, the only logical conclusion/s here, is that Jim Anderson is bad, Paul Alexander is bad, or both of them are bad.
I'm inclined to choose the last option.
Want to see the numbers that DlCK Lebeau posted as DC under MIke Brown?

28th in 97
28th in 98
25th in 99

Guess that "proves" how poor of a DC he really is.

Last edited by fredtoast; 01-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

We don't need to draft another RB, we've got Boom!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post

28th in 97
28th in 98
25th in 99

What does this prove about how Jim Anderson does his job under a different head coach?

This makes no sense whatsoever. Stop trying so hard to come up with something to defense Anderson.

Name the last running back that Jim Anderson was able to have as a rookie and make him into something in this league. Our last so many years have been from free agent backs.And they haven't been very good either.

Anderson hasn't been very good at developing running backs in a very long time.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

28th in 97
28th in 98
25th in 99

This is really a stretch, Fred.

You know things were "different" back then.

Quote:
Yes, log it.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1648

Quote:

28th in 97
28th in 98
25th in 99

Jim Anderson's whole career vs. 3 years of **** Lebeau's means exactly what? Position coaches develop players. Coordinators implement schemes and gameplans. Coordinators are judged by their defense or offense as a whole. Position coaches are judged based off of a few players that play the position that they specialize in. Jim Anderson isn't the worst, but he is Average at best imo. His best years were when our O-Line was stacked. I will admit we haven't given him much to work with lately though.

With that said, I believe Jim Anderson and Paul Alexander need to go. They are stale and we need some fresh ideas and new perspective. Johnathan Hayes can go too. I am sure they are all nice guys, but change is necessary sometimes.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49649

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
Stop trying so hard to come up with something to defense Anderson.

Name the last running back that Jim Anderson was able to have as a rookie and make him into something in this league..
So I am the one "trying hard"?

Anderson took a street free agent and got three straight 1000 yard seasons out of him, but that doesn't count because he wasn't here as a rookie?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
We don't need to draft another RB, we've got Boom!
boom aint worth a sheot get over that already!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
So I am the one "trying hard"?

Anderson took a street free agent and got three straight 1000 yard seasons out of him, but that doesn't count because he wasn't here as a rookie?
2008- 3.5 ypc
2009- 4.1 ypc
2010- 3.5 ypc with 7 fumbles
2011- 3.9 ypc with 5 fumbles

Quality over quantity. 1000 yards means jack. BGE had 1000 yards too. Doesn't mean it was a good year. Just means he got a sufficient amount of carries.

Quote:
Yes, log it.