Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 83
Default If Kenjon Barner...

Seeing as Barner is 5"11 192lbs.. if he were to get up to around 200-205 would he change anyone's mind on taking him early if they have some concerns with him?

With the need for speed on the ground Barner would be just the homerun threat we need. I do agree with the fact that he is a tad bit undersized for a back in the NFL but if he got up to around 200lbs or 205lbs I can see him breaking tackles and taking it up the middle a little bit more than for someone at sub 195lbs. 210 would be much more better and I don't believe thats a stretch for a professional athlete to bulk up 18lbs in a couple of months or even after the draft.

Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4860
Default Re: If Kenjon Barner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cin_city4L View Post
Seeing as Barner is 5"11 192lbs.. if he were to get up to around 200-205 would he change anyone's mind on taking him early if they have some concerns with him?

With the need for speed on the ground Barner would be just the homerun threat we need. I do agree with the fact that he is a tad bit undersized for a back in the NFL but if he got up to around 200lbs or 205lbs I can see him breaking tackles and taking it up the middle a little bit more than for someone at sub 195lbs. 210 would be much more better and I don't believe thats a stretch for a professional athlete to bulk up 18lbs in a couple of months or even after the draft.

Thoughts?
Thoughts it would be a good topic for NFL Draft Forum
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
Thoughts it would be a good topic for NFL Draft Forum
Aren't we in the NFL draft forum??

TWO WORDS... SHARK WEEK.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
VIP Member

I like Barner a lot. Everyone says "too small for the AFC North" but I think we need to break away from conventional thinking here a little bit. Certainly NFL strength training could get him up to 205 without sacrificing much speed if any. I think we need a guy like him that we can run to the outside more than the inside. Barner has the speed to get around linebackers and safety's to break 10-20 yard runs consistently.

TWO WORDS... SHARK WEEK.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4309

Quote:

Thoughts?
Senior bowl weigh-in 5'9" 188
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18636

Quote:

Thoughts?
I'd take him just as he is. I don't believe he's just some kind of specialty player.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11640

I really don't think it would matter much either way. I want him regardless. There is no doubt we need someone with his speed. If we were going to use him as a three down back, then I might be a little more concerned about how much he weighs. If we would use him to complement BJGE, then I think his speed would be more important than his size.

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1648

I'd love to have him in the mid rounds. Like the 4th or 5th round. As a matter of fact, I'd like to draft two RBs. Eddie Lacy and Kenjon Barner.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Barner is exactly what we need on this team. A RB that can catch and run away from people out of the backfield.

Barner is going to be a match up nightmare for someone.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22584

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
Barner is exactly what we need on this team. A RB that can catch and run away from people out of the backfield.

Barner is going to be a match up nightmare for someone.
Who depends entirely on being in space. He doesn't break a ton of tackles and he doesn't show great lateral moves when facing better competition.
He is a straight line runner with great speed.

Ellington and Randle are better backs in the same idea of speed backs.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Who depends entirely on being in space. He doesn't break a ton of tackles and he doesn't show great lateral moves when facing better competition.
He is a straight line runner with great speed.

Ellington and Randle are better backs in the same idea of speed backs.
I like Ellington but def. disagree with you about Randle. Barner might play in space but we can say the same about alot of running backs today.

Unless you are talking about someone like Lacy then most of the running backs in this class work best in space.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22584

Quote:
I like Ellington but def. disagree with you about Randle. Barner might play in space but we can say the same about alot of running backs today.

Unless you are talking about someone like Lacy then most of the running backs in this class work best in space.
Every RB works best in space. Common sense dictates that. But Barner doesn't break enough tackles or really show enough to say he can make his own at the next level. If you can force him to move laterally he isn't much.

Randle can make people miss outside of using speed.
Im not even a huge Randle fan.

I just don't like this notion of drafting a guy like Barner before the 4th round.
I think Barner ends up with a very specific role in the NFL.
And we have enough guys like that. We need more every down guys.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:

Thoughts?

If the weight was added to his legs....as an everydown back i see him going down with a gust of wind. if we get barner we better have already draft an AFCN type back or were screwed.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

bengals Re: If Kenjon Barner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_dub17 View Post
I like Barner a lot. Everyone says "too small for the AFC North" but I think we need to break away from conventional thinking here a little bit. Certainly NFL strength training could get him up to 205 without sacrificing much speed if any. I think we need a guy like him that we can run to the outside more than the inside. Barner has the speed to get around linebackers and safety's to break 10-20 yard runs consistently.
dude barner wouldnt last a season in this division, we need someone between the tackles who can also break it outside if need be. With our team so close to the big game, why would go away from conventional thinking and go tiny tiny(barner) when our mates in baltimore are in the big one with a big size 2 headed monster in bernard pierce and ray rice. and dont tell me ray rice is small. if u ever run into someone whos 5'8 212 pounds, you'll have to litterally walk around them they are so wide. Lets stick to what we've been doing and the conventional style of play out here in the division.. its working for baltimore.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'd take him just as he is. I don't believe he's just some kind of specialty player.
we-ta-did....now say it all together.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

bengals Re: If Kenjon Barner...

Quote:

Randle is fast and a 1 cut runner who gets upfield and the yards needed everytime. he is smart and un selfish and can pass protect like a mu****er. it will be funny watching barner try and pass protect here, hed get killed. gimme ellington or randle way before this tiny tiny guy in barner..if we draft barner and BJGE goes down were scewed, our everydown back would be barner. no thanks drrrrr. hey rememeber when you said Doug martin was a big fish in a small pound ha sorry ur input towards running backs goes un heard.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
Randle is fast and a 1 cut runner who gets upfield and the yards needed everytime. he is smart and un selfish and can pass protect like a mu****er. it will be funny watching barner try and pass protect here, hed get killed. gimme ellington or randle way before this tiny tiny guy in barner..if we draft barner and BJGE goes down were scewed, our everydown back would be barner. no thanks drrrrr. hey rememeber when you said Doug martin was a big fish in a small pound ha sorry ur input towards running backs goes un heard.
Let it go man

I will say give me Ellington or Randle over Barner everyday of the week over Barner, I dont wanna even look at Barner until 4-5.

Quote:
"Oregon RB Kenjon Barner was very patient even when running outside. Showed soft hands and nice balance when being hit from the side. In 11-on-11s, he hit his 2nd gear on a swing route, bobbled the ball but ultimately caught it. Took Kick returns as well. Struggled up the middle in 11-on-11s, when a hand got on him he wasn’t moving anymore" DraftCountDown

Last edited by BobJones4980; 01-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
dude barner wouldnt last a season in this division, we need someone between the tackles who can also break it outside if need be. With our team so close to the big game, why would go away from conventional thinking and go tiny tiny(barner) when our mates in baltimore are in the big one with a big size 2 headed monster in bernard pierce and ray rice. and dont tell me ray rice is small. if u ever run into someone whos 5'8 212 pounds, you'll have to litterally walk around them they are so wide. Lets stick to what we've been doing and the conventional style of play out here in the division.. its working for baltimore.
He is 190 now, if he put on 15 pounds he'd be fine in any division. I know we like to think that the AFC North hits harder than anyone else but that's not really the truth. It's a big boy league and if Barner bulks up a little he will be another Jamal Charles.

TWO WORDS... SHARK WEEK.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2749

Quote:
we-ta-did....now say it all together.
Oh-fence-sieve. Now say that all together.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37656

Quote:
How are those big backs working out for Pittsburgh?

I'd imagine with thier size they have no problem staying healthy in the AFC North.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11640

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
How are those big backs working out for Pittsburgh?

I'd imagine with thier size they have no problem staying healthy in the AFC North.
Exactly!!!! I'm so sick of this argument. If you have a back that either can make people miss or just flat out runs by them, he is not getting hit and we don't have to worry about him being the "big, bruising AFCN back."

I guess everyone has their favorites and who they think would be the best back, but from what I have seen of Barner, I think he is exactly what we need and think he could handle the hits he would be taking.

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN