Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8908
Default Seau's Family sues NFL

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/seaus-f...5205--nfl.html

Do they have a case?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: Seau's Family sues NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
They should just act like every game is the Pro Bowl

They could give better care for them after they get out of the league maybe , but they don't need to "wussify" or soften up the game anymore than they already have

No one forces them to play football , which earns them millions, this is silly but not surprising unfortunately.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11141

This would open up a tsunami of other lawsuits.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3217

This is stupid. They all know the risk and get payed tons and live better lives than most could even dream of. How greedy can people get. They don't really care they just want money.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6460

If those idiots get 1 Dime from the NFL for a wrongful death, I will never watch another Pro game. Greedy MFR's and there bloodsucking lawyers.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19216

Actually, when you think about it, they do have a case because who could guess that running full speed into other people's helmets tens of thousands of times could cause brain damage?

There needs to be a warning label on things to let people know about that.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 18690

Have the experts determined that he would not have killed himself if he hadn't have suffered some brain damage in the NFL? I just don't see how the NFL was in any way responsible for his decision to take his own life.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp View Post
This would open up a tsunami of other lawsuits.
Nah, this one ain't going no where. Jr. retired and came back. Since no one can say exactly when brain damaged occurred it can be argued the damaged occured after his physical skills diminished because of age.It was soley his choice to return. He placed himself in the position of harm

No money will be lost by the NFL
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11141

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Nah, this one ain't going no where. Jr. retired and came back. Since no one can say exactly when brain damaged occurred it can be argued the damaged occured after his physical skills diminished because of age.It was soley his choice to return. He placed himself in the position of harm

I agree. I am saying if the family won, there would be a lot more.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19748

No, not at all.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 700

Quote:
are they going to sue his pee-wee/highschool/college teams as well?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 24197

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalbobZilla View Post
are they going to sue his pee-wee/highschool/college teams as well?
Yup...sue everything. Seau must be rolling in his grave. NFL is the reason he was able to make a good living, families blow.
Fluff so hard all the dudes wanna find me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal John View Post
My favorite is balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPStripes View Post
We have very dumb fans
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 25797

These brain injuries should be public enemy number one in the NFL. Retired players with these brain injuries should get paid by the NFL.

I believe they should be compensated, but they don't have a legal case.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1469

Heard on ESPN it would be a legal decision similar to the one against the Cigarette companies.

Information was out there smoking was bad plus warning labels, but individuals smoked. The companies said it was safe/no link to cancer and hid information that smoking was harmful. Emails were found that they knew.

Players know it's a tough sport, but the NFL I think has denied it causes brain damage. Are there emails or information in NFL files that they knew it could/is cause brain damage? That's what the lawsuit will try to find. Then have to prove direct link to the brain damage.

That's as much as I can remember hearing. Hopefully someone with legal smarts can clear it up.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52822

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliJack View Post
If those idiots get 1 Dime from the NFL for a wrongful death, I will never watch another Pro game. Greedy MFR's and there bloodsucking lawyers.
I understand you getting upset if they win, by why in the world would you refuse to watch any more pro games?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINwillWIN View Post
Yup...sue everything. Seau must be rolling in his grave. NFL is the reason he was able to make a good living, families blow.
Lots of people made a living mining coal, but that does not make it okay for mine owners to lie to them about health hazards and refuse to address safety issues.

It is getting a little scary the way some people worship the "job creators" in this country.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac18 View Post
This is stupid. They all know the risk and get payed tons and live better lives than most could even dream of. How greedy can people get. They don't really care they just want money.
Actually the question is if they really did understand the risk. I am not saying that Seau's family has a case because I don't know all the facts, but even though most people know football is dangerous if the league really was lying about the risks or supressing information about potential brain damage then they should have to pay for that behavior.

But to claim that a family who lost a member at a young age is "just greedy" and "only wants money" is just disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
It was soley his choice to return. He placed himself in the position of harm

Again it depends on if his decision to return was based on the fact that the NFL was hiding information about possible brain damage.

Don't know if that was the case, but we need to at least look at the facts to see.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1028

No one told that McDonald's lady that her coffee was hot, and she won millions.

I think the Seau estate would have more success joining the class action suit against the NFL than a wrongful death case. With the class action suit, they just need to find proof that the NFL knew concussions were bad (just like the hot coffee, if we're honest with ourselves, everyone knew concussions were bad) and that they willingly hid knowledge from the players.

The Seau estate will have to do all that and find a definitive link between Seau's brain damage and suicide.

I'm just curious, I thought about this earlier this morning, but has Chris Henry's family filed any lawsuits against the NFL after it was determined he had CTE?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35108

Quote:
Nope he made millions to play a game known to be a health hazard...

Sueing now is just stupid and greedy.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Nope he made millions to play a game known to be a health hazard...

Sueing now is just stupid and greedy.
Knowing that a profession is dangerous, like coal mining, does not give the employer unlimited rights to hide evidence of exactly how dangerous it really is, or to hide evidence that it could be made safer.

When I played football I knew it was dangerous, but I had no idea about any of the long term effects they are now claiming it causes.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Knowing that a profession is dangerous, like coal mining, does not give the employer unlimited rights to hide evidence of exactly how dangerous it really is, or to hide evidence that it could be made safer.

When I played football I knew it was dangerous, but I had no idea about any of the long term effects they are now claiming it causes.
They are just now finding the evidence... But a game where grown men hit each other for entertainment is always dangerous to the atheletes health. Any that claim to think otherwise are lying or trying to make money off it.

Its like if a smoker today claims they didnt know it was bad for them... I call BS
theres a reason these atheletes hold out for bigger contracts its because they know the game is dangerous and want to be paid for risking their bodies.

Not just with Head Injuries.. Which are mostly caused by poor tackling on a Defenders part Which he was.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

Its like if a smoker today claims they didnt know it was bad for them... I call BS.
Everyone knew that smoking was dangerous, but that did not justify the tobacco companies lying about how dangerous it was.

How can you possibly support any business that willfully withholds evidence of a known danger? Now I don't know if Riddell and the NFL actually did that, but if they did they should have to pay damages for their behavior.

The funny thing is that a lot of people I see claiming that employers should not be responsible for lying about dangerous conditions are the exact same people who whine about individuals not taking responsibility for their own actions. I guess the beloved "job creators" are exempted from taking any responsibility for their actions.

Last edited by fredtoast; 01-24-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Everyone knew that smoking was dangerous, but that did not justify the tobacco companies lying about how dangerous it was.

How can you possibly support any business that willfully withholds evidence of a known danger?
How can you possible support a government that lies to its citizens.?

Companys are out to make money. Most wouldnt make nearly as much if they exclosed all the dangers of their products or the dangers to the employees during the making of the products (depending on company) It doesnt mean i support them for it But when did we start rewarding people because they cant understand the facts that are available to them.

His family is already rich unless they squandered the money. If they were sueing where all the money would go to brain trama research thats a different story.. But this is just a story about a greedy family of a retired football star that shot himself.

Sanu took the ***** way out there are no rewards for that.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8638

Quote:
Lots of people made a living mining coal, but that does not make it okay for mine owners to lie to them about health hazards and refuse to address safety issues.

It is getting a little scary the way some people worship the "job creators" in this country.
Coal miners don't make millions of dollars a year either. Generally, Seau was the one doing the hitting, hence the nickname "say ouch". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that their job is dangerous. They are playing against the biggest, strongest, and fastest athletes in the country. The average NFL career lasts 3 to 6 years depending on who you ask. What's next: boxers, MMA, baseball players who got hit by one too many pitches? What's getting scary is people not accepting responsibility for their own actions. A perfect example is if I go to my neighbor's house to watch the game, and slip on his porch. Even though I knew there was ice and snow everywhere I sue my neighbor? Not gonna happen from me, and it shouldn't happen anywhere, but people don't accept responsibility for their actions, it ALWAYS somebody else's fault, and that's crap.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
when did we start rewarding people because they cant understand the facts that are available to them.
We don't know if all the facts were available to him. That is the whole point. If the NFL hid or lied about damaging information then they have to be punished for that.

It makes me sick that people like you preach about people being responsible for their actions, but then object to a business being held responsible for its actions.