Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Would You Like To See Revis As A Bengal?
Yes 103 70.07%
No 44 29.93%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73848
Default Re: Jets Shopping Revis, What Ya Think?

With this DL and Revis and Hall shutting down everyone in sight, the LBs and safeties roils be able to play the run and cover tge middle of the field in in high numbers
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38280
Default Re: Would you pull the trigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizoj View Post
Lacanforna broke the news. I guess a few teams have already asked the JEts about him. I guess the JEts are in cap trouble and are going to have to go through a rebuild and their secondary played well enough with him gone.

I don't think we should part with the high draft pick that we would need to give up for Revis AND the ridiculous amount of money that we'd have to pay him. I'd love to see him in stripes but we'd have to give up a lot and we don't know how he will come back from his injury.

If we were 1 CB away from a super bowl then maybe but I don't think that's the position that is going to put us over the top.
Can't see us doing it though. It would be kinda sexy and all but I think we're gonna see what our own first round CB coming off an injury that we just drafted last year can do before we commit a bunch of money to Revis.

I'd rather spend money on a receiver and see how DreKirk works out.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43961

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=108679
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 998

Revis made Ocho look bad. We definitely could use him.

Cleveland, we have a problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2640

This is funny, seriously, you ask everyone what are top 5 needs are in the offseason for this team to be complete and CB is not on the list. Now all of sudden everyone wants to forget everything else for Revis, Sorry but I pass, I would rather get WR, 2 LBs, SS, and a RB. I want top options at these positions not average. Revis would take us out of a few of those options with the cap hit he would take.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 774

It would be a great pick up for any team, it would give us the best CB tandem in the NFL.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Rep Points: 25227

Sure, but our front office will not be one of those teams that would break the bank for him.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19118

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglester View Post
Revis made Ocho look bad. We definitely could use him.
No he didn't.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
No he didn't.
What did then? The air

Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
This is funny, seriously, you ask everyone what are top 5 needs are in the offseason for this team to be complete and CB is not on the list.
It's not?

So you want to roll with a bunch of aging vets on their last leg, Leon Hall, and a bunch of unproven/unsuccessful young guys?

It's easily top 5.

LB, WR, S, RB, CB

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
It's not?

So you want to roll with a bunch of aging vets on their last leg, Leon Hall, and a bunch of unproven/unsuccessful young guys?

It's easily top 5.

LB, WR, S, RB, CB
Yea I honestly don't know why everyone's acting as if theirs no draft anymore either, Like if we trade a pick for a CB we wont be able to sign anyone else, I mean why not get an elite CB, and still have 3-4 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Not to mention once we get rid of a few guys like Allen we will have plenty of room for a CB.

What would it take to get Revis? Only 27 but coming off a major injury, Id say a 3rd maybe even a 4th could get the guy I mean they just want to get something due to the fact theyll lose him at the end of the contract anyway, not to mention there secondary played well enough without him.

Trade a 3rd for Revis.
Sign SLB in FA

Draft:

1. WR
2. LB
2. RB
4. Shawn Williams

Last edited by BobJones4980; 01-24-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7973

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
The NFL is an offensive league with all of the rule changes. Better to invest in offense than defense.
So why not invest in a way to stop said offenses?

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4383

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD-88 View Post
What would you be willing to pay?

We payed Nate Clements 10 million over the past two seasons. Jason Allen should be arrested for robbery with what we payed him. That's gotta be around 10 million in 1 season devoted to both of those guys.
Great points. Geathers also was paid significantly more than he contributed, but that is how some contracts go....

Lots of folks will respond to this next statement with: "they have so much cap $ the should be able to sign everyone AND free agents like Goldson and Revis, but that is simply inaccurate.

If you really want Revis,you would likely have to let MJ walk. I, for one, would do that in a heartbeat. I love MJ, but a corner like Revis is a rarity. Don't think for a second that NFL coaches and owners have not noticed the "let them play" mentality of the officiating crews in the playoffs. The bigger, more physical corners and safeties were getting away with more more contact than in the regular season. And the games have been great. Revis is one of the toughest in the league. Pairing him with Hall and Kirkpatrick would be outstanding.

I don't like his antics when he wants his contract renewed, but right now, he is on the "have to prove it" end of the spectrum. If they could structure his deal in such a way that they could get out of it in two years without being a cap space killer, I would be all for it. Two years with him at his best could be enough to win it all.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
Rex Ryan is a hack, so is his brother.
Those hacks have pretty much owned the bengals.

But yes they are maroons
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

I would do it.
One of our 2nd rounders should take him. Plus, he's only due something like $5-6Million next year(Jets would have to eat his $3M signing bonus for next year).

It's not very often a top5 CB comes available in the prime of his career. If this is for real and I was MB I'd definitely be a player on this deal.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12299

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglester View Post
Revis made Ocho look pathetic. We could use a guy like that on the Bengals.
Ocho made Ocho look pathetic.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30701

Quote:
This may not be the place and I'm sorry if it isn't.

I was just reading that the Jets are shopping Derrelle "shut down corner" Revis. They are in a rebuilding phase and could use cap space and draft picks.

Now I know people have been craving this and that in the draft or free agency, but I believe this could be a great move for us. We have the picks. We have the money. Instead of signing 2-3 big money free agents, we could simply get Derrelle.

The guy when healthy is probably the best CB in the game. Just imagine what Zimmer and Marvin could cook up? The freedom they'd have because they'd have Leon Hall on one side and Derrelle on the other? Good Lord .

We could still get some offensive weapons, but a great defense is a great offense in itself.
I would give the Jets our first round pick for Revis, no doubt.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12299

Quote:
This may not be the place and I'm sorry if it isn't.

I was just reading that the Jets are shopping Derrelle "shut down corner" Revis. They are in a rebuilding phase and could use cap space and draft picks.

Now I know people have been craving this and that in the draft or free agency, but I believe this could be a great move for us. We have the picks. We have the money. Instead of signing 2-3 big money free agents, we could simply get Derrelle.

The guy when healthy is probably the best CB in the game. Just imagine what Zimmer and Marvin could cook up? The freedom they'd have because they'd have Leon Hall on one side and Derrelle on the other? Good Lord .

We could still get some offensive weapons, but a great defense is a great offense in itself.
Defense is not the problem as someone stated earlier. The front seven can cover up almost any weaknesses in the secondary.

The problem isn't even the offense. It's who is preparing the players and calling the plays on offense. In true Bungles fashion, the last few games looked like the offense was ill prepared and predictable. No plays where the WRs are hit in stride and stayed away from the run, which was the only thing working on offense.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2793

I say yes, make an already good defense great. The offense "should" be much better next season with the addition of a speed back and a full season of Jones/Sanu. If Revis is added to an already stout defense this team could quickly jump to a serious contender. They had 50 sacks this past season, and with the added second or two of having Revis they could have easily had 10-15 more. How many points could that have taken off the board. I know we are all down on the offense, and rightfully so, but this offense is the same one that put up monster numbers against several good teams. With Sanu/Jones having another offseason under their belt I think they will be ready to take the pressure off of AJ and with a speed back added to the backfield even more pressure will be taken off of Dalton. I for one would pull the trigger right now.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: Would you pull the trigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
It's not?

It's easily top 5.

LB, WR, S, RB, CB
Well that group ended up 7th in the league in pass defense.
They also allowed the fewest ppg in the league over the back half of the season when everyone got settled and healthy.
So, yeah they did just fine for a bunch of old guys.
Once you inject Kirkpatrick in next season along with drafting a playmaking saftey to replace Crocker; then you've got a great secondary going.
Would Revis play at a high level? Yeah, most likely. Was the Bengals D playing at a high level without him? Most definitely.
Revis would be a luxury. It would be nice to see, but definitely not something to chase and spend high.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
No he didn't.
Lol what do you mean he didn't? Made him look like a complete fool after he talked trash.

I'd cry tears of joy if we signed Revis. The kind of guy you can single up on the other teams best receiver, and not have to worry about it at all. Best coverage CB in the NFL, and would bring this defense to the next level. It'll never happen though. Some team like KC or TB will pay out the *** for his services.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5178

I'd give them our 2b pick for Revis for sure. The only reason I wouldn't give them 1, or 2a is because he's coming off an injury, and he's a free agent next year anyways, and they can't afford to re-sign him.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 231

If you could get him for a good deal and not spending too much on him, I would say yes in a second. This could make up for the J. Joseph mistake.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 725

Well Mark Carrier our DB coach was the Jets DL coach when Revis was considered a mass of land surrounded by water that people couldn't escape. If the Bengals go after him it will be for this reason.

Last edited by Second Down; 01-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 725

Well Mark Carrier our DB coach was the Jets DL coach when Revis was considered a mass of land surrounded by water that people couldn't escape. If the Bengals go after him it will be for this reason.