Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432
Default Frederick sounding unlikely

We all know that there is a lot of smoke screens about team needs and what they will or will not draft at this point. However, it does seem like Hobson usually does throw little hints about what direction this team will go and a lot of times that is what ends up happening even if we don't like it. This quote stuck out to me in his recent article.

"The 6-5, 301-pound Pugh has also picked up some second-round interest, but not as a tackle. After questioning his frame, there is now some belief he'd be a pretty good guard-center, but the Bengals don't look to be in that market."
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3023
Default Re: Frederick sounding unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
We all know that there is a lot of smoke screens about team needs and what they will or will not draft at this point. However, it does seem like Hobson usually does throw little hints about what direction this team will go and a lot of times that is what ends up happening even if we don't like it. This quote stuck out to me in his recent article.

"The 6-5, 301-pound Pugh has also picked up some second-round interest, but not as a tackle. After questioning his frame, there is now some belief he'd be a pretty good guard-center, but the Bengals don't look to be in that market."
I think most of us think the Bengals won't actually draft any early OL, but it was more of hope because we've seen the weaknesses. Bengals love Cook and Robinson played well. Boling played well too, and Wharton is still an unknown for our team, but has shown to be good in the run game in the past.

I feel a platoon at LG and possibly C, which typically doesn't work out. Wharton better in the run game, and Boling better in the pass game. We'll see Cook's performance in TC, when he is fully healthy. I think he's mediocre and Robinson is better, but maybe the coaches feel the injury in preseason really still limited him this year. If that was the case, they should have simply just rested him and let Robinson continue to grow and keep the positive momentum rolling.

If we don't see a drafted interior OL within the first three rounds, I hope that Robinson gets the nod for starting C and the best of Wharton and Boling for LG.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 406

I think an OL is a first round need for this team.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I think most of us think the Bengals won't actually draft any early OL, but it was more of hope because we've seen the weaknesses. Bengals love Cook and Robinson played well. Boling played well too, and Wharton is still an unknown for our team, but has shown to be good in the run game in the past.

I feel a platoon at LG and possibly C, which typically doesn't work out. Wharton better in the run game, and Boling better in the pass game. We'll see Cook's performance in TC, when he is fully healthy. I think he's mediocre and Robinson is better, but maybe the coaches feel the injury in preseason really still limited him this year. If that was the case, they should have simply just rested him and let Robinson continue to grow and keep the positive momentum rolling.

If we don't see a drafted interior OL within the first three rounds, I hope that Robinson gets the nod for starting C and the best of Wharton and Boling for LG.
All great points. For a long time I didn't necessarily think we would draft one because of the staff's infatuation with Cook either but this team is so close to being elite and Frederick is so good that I think I was starting to talk myself into the possibility. Also think Robinson deserves a fair chance after outperforming Cook last season.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19021

Quote:

Your first mistake is believing Hobson.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

It just seems that Dalton was under a lot of pressure on almost every pass play. Why? Is it the play of the C, OGs, OTs or TE's?

If the OC position is a weakness on this line, and the #1 rated player at that position is available (Barrett Jones) wouldn't it make sense?

**I realizethe same argument can be made for SS or LB, but this is a posting about OC.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
It just seems that Dalton was under a lot of pressure on almost every pass play. Why? Is it the play of the C, OGs, OTs or TE's?

If the OC position is a weakness on this line, and the #1 rated player at that position is available (Barrett Jones) wouldn't it make sense?

**I realizethe same argument can be made for SS or LB, but this is a posting about OC.
I think the offensive struggles were a little bit of everything.

WRs not able to seperate.

Andy holding onto the ball too long.

The online occassionally giving up pressure.

The OC's play calling.

It all played a part.

I think the Bengals either need to beef up the offensive line so the WRs we do have can eventually seperate and give Andy more time to find an open WR.

Or upgrade the #2 WR with someone who is better than who we currently have.

Or both.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6404

The only hope for getting a guy like Frederick is if he drops to the 2nd pick that we have in the 2nd round. The Bengals seem to draft the BPA after the first round regardless of need.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Your first mistake is believing Hobson.
I hope he is lying but when it comes to free agency and draft it usually seems like he has some knowledge of what positions they will be going after.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3246

This is one where the team and the fans likely disagree.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I hope he is lying but when it comes to free agency and draft it usually seems like he has some knowledge of what positions they will be going after.
Not lying really. Call it speculating. I'm of the belief that if you want your QB to thrive, give him a top notch line in front of him. One thing not even The Cook Cavalry can claim is that Kyle is top notch.

I say stop messing around with decent or okay or a little better than the previous guy, get serious about the offense and make the line a strength. Then you can really run the ball, your QB hs time to see the field, gets his confidence back and the offense can be a weapon not a liability. Now you can talk about the SB.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

This sums up any info coming out of the clubs this time of year.

We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Exactly this!!! I want someone who wants to draft Barrett Jones or Frederick early to explain to me WHY the Bengals would ever draft one of them?? They have absolutely no need for a Center right now, whether you like it or not. They already have two "solid" center options on the roster. You may not like Cook or think he needs to get cut, but damn, some need to stop smoking the reefer and remember you are a fan of the Bengals. They have no reason what so ever to draft a Center right now!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Exactly this!!! I want someone who wants to draft Barrett Jones or Frederick early to explain to me WHY the Bengals would ever draft one of them?? They have absolutely no need for a Center right now, whether you like it or not. They already have two "solid" center options on the roster. You may not like Cook or think he needs to get cut, but damn, some need to stop smoking the reefer and remember you are a fan of the Bengals. They have no reason what so ever to draft a Center right now!
Sorry, but I believe this to be totally untrue.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry, but I believe this to be totally untrue.
Then please explain to me why you believe that to be untrue. Make me a believer!! Hahaha

I know Cook "*****" but the Bengals are not going to let him go! Robinson played well once he got adjusted to starting. They will not use a roster spot on a 3rd Center.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Then please explain to me why you believe that to be untrue. Make me a believer!! Hahaha

I know Cook "*****" but the Bengals are not going to let him go! Robinson played well once he got adjusted to starting. They will not use a roster spot on a 3rd Center.
I'm not arguing what the Bengals will likely do. I'm sure you're right about that. I'm arguing what they should do. The one thing that gives me hope is maybe they'll see how breaking the mold and drafting a 1st round G last year turned out and apply that to the C position. And we're not even talking about a 1st. A 3rd seems like a small price to pay for the benefits.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not arguing what the Bengals will likely do. I'm sure you're right about that. I'm arguing what they should do. The one thing that gives me hope is maybe they'll see how breaking the mold and drafting a 1st round G last year turned out and apply that to the C position. And we're not even talking about a 1st. A 3rd seems like a small price to pay for the benefits.
I would be ALL FOR drafting Frederick if he slipped to 2B or even Holmes (USC) if he was there in the 3rd or 4th. He would come in and start at our Center position from day 1.

The Guard situation last year was a glaring need, much like CB. They were our biggest needs going into the draft last year. This year is different. LB, RB, S, WR are bigger needs then Center!

BUT, from a realistic standpoint, history shows the Bengals would never address the position when they have money going to one player and the other played very well when he got time.

Here Us......ROAR!!!