Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 666
Default Ed Reed

Ed is way on the wrong side of 30, expensive, and has had injury problems over the last several years. However, he still has better ball skills than most safeties, makes big plays, and has an intimate knowledge of the AFCN that rookies or new players would not have. He plays a great center field and would allow Nelson to play up close to the line and give us a vocal, experienced, field general in the secondary that we seem to lack.

If he would take a bonus laden, front loaded, contract for three years, would it be worth bringing him in and giving him a shot? (I'm talking like 10 million up front and then an 8mil, 6mil, 4 mil contract.)

I don't really know if I like the idea, but once I started thinking about it, I couldn't get it out of my head. I guess I am looking for a little clarity on the idea.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3700
Default Re: Ed Reed

If Ed is smart he will test the FA waters. Someone is going to wayyyyy overpay for him. If we can get him for a reasonable deal (not likely) than I would be all for it.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13623

As much as I hate him for what he's done to the Bengals over the years, I have to admit that Ed Reed is one of my favorite players in the league. If you could get him to sign a deal similar to what you've proposed, I'd be all for it. I'd still probably want to draft a young safety early though.

Somehow, I think he'd either get another contract from the Ravens or retire instead of playing for another team at this point in his career.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
As much as I hate him for what he's done to the Bengals over the years, I have to admit that Ed Reed is one of my favorite players in the league. If you could get him to sign a deal similar to what you've proposed, I'd be all for it. I'd still probably want to draft a young safety early though.
Yeah, I should have added that we'd need to draft a guy in the second or third round to groom as a replacement.

Quote:
Somehow, I think he'd either get another contract from the Ravens or retire instead of playing for another team at this point in his career.
This was the article that made me post this:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ying-next-year

I would imagine that the Raven's will have tag Flacco if they can't get something done and that would leave Reed free from the tag. I don't know what the Raven's salary cap figures are either.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since82 View Post
This was the article that made me post this:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ying-next-year
That's interesting. It would not be a very Bengal-ish signing. I'd be thrilled and delighted if it happened though.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2285

Give him a deal that's front-loaded/incentive based, and I would be 100% thrilled.

Special thanks to NashvilleBengalfan for the sig!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11064

Yea let's sign him, totally gonna happen. For sure, it's happening. This is certain. It will take place. We are going to bring Ed Reed in, and then we are going to sign him.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2285

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Yea let's sign him, totally gonna happen. For sure, it's happening. This is certain. It will take place. We are going to bring Ed Reed in, and then we are going to sign him.
Just like we didn't even "kick the tires" on Ray Lewis when the Ravens let him test the FA waters a couple years ago.

Fun to imagine though, isn't it?

Special thanks to NashvilleBengalfan for the sig!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32124

Neek, bro, we all realize (I think) that it's not going to happen.

It is fun to talk about though.

I'd love to rent Reed for a year, but I have a strong feeling he will retire with Ray.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Neek, bro, we all realize (I think) that it's not going to happen.

It is fun to talk about though.

I'd love to rent Reed for a year, but I have a strong feeling he will retire with Ray.
I don't find it fun. It's like having a serious discussion about a bunch of hot ladies that I'll never bang. And then getting sad when I realize it'll never happen.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't find it fun. It's like having a serious discussion about a bunch of hot ladies that I'll never bang. And then getting sad when I realize it'll never happen.
I always liked Kate Beckinsale and Sienna Miller. Oh wait...

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Just like we didn't even "kick the tires" on Ray Lewis when the Ravens let him test the FA waters a couple years ago.

Fun to imagine though, isn't it?
Great player past his prime but with skills is different than player in his prime.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I don't think I portrayed an OMG Ed Reed is coming to the Bengals mentality. But I would have also said several years ago that the Bengals would not sign TO.

My question was would it be worth it? So from your answer I would assume it would be no.

Frankly, I think bringing in Ed Reed is more likely than bringing in someone like Byrd who is in the prime of his career and in high demand from lots of teams.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2273

I don't see him ultimately coming here, maybe we can bid up the price for him to resign with the Rat-birds.

I cannot believe that I am saying this, but I kinda hope they win the Superbowl so that he might just decide to go out on top with Lewis. He deserves to go to the Hall of Fame with Ray, and I do not want to see him run back another pick 6 on us ever again.

Sorry, I gotta go take a bath or something, rooting for the Rat-birds makes me feel unclean, where are those Brillo pads...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1009

Not saying that having Ed Reed would put us in the Super Bowl but wouldn't it be amazing if we picked up Ed Reed and an Ed Reed pick 6 sealed the deal for us in a Bengals vs Ravens AFC Championship game
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13710

Quote:
Ed is way on the wrong side of 30, expensive, and has had injury problems over the last several years. However, he still has better ball skills than most safeties, makes big plays, and has an intimate knowledge of the AFCN that rookies or new players would not have. He plays a great center field and would allow Nelson to play up close to the line and give us a vocal, experienced, field general in the secondary that we seem to lack.

If he would take a bonus laden, front loaded, contract for three years, would it be worth bringing him in and giving him a shot? (I'm talking like 10 million up front and then an 8mil, 6mil, 4 mil contract.)

I don't really know if I like the idea, but once I started thinking about it, I couldn't get it out of my head. I guess I am looking for a little clarity on the idea.
This draft class is loaded at Safety. If we do not get one of them, I will be shocked.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5544

No thanks. This is a perfect example of fans wanting a big name without really caring what kind of player he is. The guy was very average this year and is always hurt. If you look at Reggie Nelson and Ed Reed this year in the regular season and Nelson is actually the better player.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
This draft class is loaded at Safety. If we do not get one of them, I will be shocked.

Start shaving your walnuts for the electrodes. This draft is gonna hurt alot.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I would also agree with you that we need to pick a safety, but we also need, a RB, CB, WR, LB, and possibly an OT as well. You are not going to find all of those positions in the draft.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
No thanks. This is a perfect example of fans wanting a big name without really caring what kind of player he is. The guy was very average this year and is always hurt. If you look at Reggie Nelson and Ed Reed this year in the regular season and Nelson is actually the better player.
I don't watch the Raven's other than when they play the Bengals but I don't think Reed was average this year and I don't think that he was always hurt. Reed played in more games than Reggie did this year as well as had more picks and more passes defended. I also know that Reed made the Pro-Bowl again and Reggie didn't. Again, you can argue name bias or whatever, but he is still performing at a high level.

Ed and Reggie are two different types of players, Reggie is a more physical guy that would lay wood to people and Ed is more a center field type of player looking for picks. However, he certainly isn't afraid to mix it up.

In addition we shouldn't be comparing Reed and Nelson, we should be comparing Reed to Mays, Crocker, and Clements. He would be a huge upgrade to all of those players.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
If we brought in Ed Reed, it wouldn't be to replace Nelson. Try Crock/Mays/Clements. Also, I would disagree that Reed is merely an average player, even at his age. He's still one of the smarter players in the league.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9137

Quote:
Well, Reed could play with Nelson ... I don't think anybody's saying he'd replace him. Besides, Reed started all 16 games this season (Reggie missed 2 with injury) and had more INTs and passes defended than Nelson. Pretty good for a guy who's always hurt.

More generally, your comment on fans wanting big names is exactly what people have said before in dismissing great players ... the ones that stand out in my memory were when Ray Lewis and Tony Gonzalez were both free agents in the 2009 offseason. I'll always remember with amazement how many people dismissed discussion of those two as just chasing the big name and said we were fine at TE and MLB ... even though our roster at those two positions was incredibly mediocre and the players we had weren't even in the league anymore after 2010 (BTW, I'm not necessarily saying we could/should have signed either, just noting how many people dismissed them on the basis of just being 'big names' when they clearly both still had plenty good football left).

Finally, outside of what he does on the field, Reed is known as a smart player who'd not only be able to lead by example when it comes to preparation, but would have plenty of insight into how to beat our division rivals. All that said ... he probably either retires or signs with New England (Bellichick is a huge fan).

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 01-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24492
bengals Re: Ed Reed

Quote:

No.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
...or signs with New England (Bellichick is a huge fan).
I just read a couple of articles today that said Belichick is a big fan and would be on Reed's trail if the Raven's let him walk. (And with their salary cap issues they might).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...in-new-england

Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
No.
Any further information or just on general principle?