Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882
Default Re: time to clean house

I think a strong running game all year would have helped things.

Let's face it, we all thought that we'd have a top offensive line all year and didn't.

With a good running game, Dalton throws less. Throws less interceptions. The lack of a #2 WR isn't as glaring.

Even if we add a Mike Wallace in free agency, we still need to upgrade our running game.

Wharton is a mauler of a Guard, but not great in pass protection. Maybe he upgrades the running game?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2576

In other news, my ex-wife finally signed our divorce papers today!!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 196
bengals Re: time to clean house

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlong7 View Post
Another loss in the playoffs,is it time to clean house,sorry everybody but the offesense,stinks.rey needs to go.we need another aj.and jay grudens play calling is horrible.fire marvin .
The offense is not that bad ....Now the Oline thats a diff story ....Thats the problum and has been for 5 years ...And most of the problum is kyle cook......I hate to put it all on one person but hes bad .....Go watch any game hes played in he just gets beat time and time again.....We went from avg 24 points a game to not scoring a TD in our last 38 time we had the ball....Oh i sorry we scored 1.....There is just to much heat up the middle for dalton to go throw his reads....Not sure but cook might make a better guard because he aint no center......He played guard in college.....Now heres the up side because dalton has learned to make some plays with so very little time ....When we do fix the center spot and he has time he should be real good ....And in no way am i trying to dog another bengal player but the facts say hes not very good......But as far as rey goes i think you are spot on he needs to be replaced.....As far as gruden goes im up in the air on him because no plays look good when the QB has no time.....But i will say he seems to go away from the run to soon at times......As far as marvn goes very unfare to say fire him because at times hes been asked to do so much with so little player wise.....Last two years hes had a say in the players we pic ....And we have made the playoffs ....Keep in mind we lost a guard and our best cover linebacker and our center a defense end a corner a good slot WR and a safty ....And all of the players we lost where better then the players we replaced them with.....And also we have made the playoff 3 of the last 4 years .....Very few coaches can say that
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22265

I don't know bout cleaning house. Can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

But I will say again how badly PA needs fired. After reading that he said he played Cook at 85% in the playoffs, there seems no defending him any more. If that ain't stoopid, I don't know what is.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post

But I will say again how badly PA needs fired. After reading that he said he played Cook at 85% in the playoffs, there seems no defending him any more. If that ain't stoopid, I don't know what is.
No, of course you play the guy who's at 85% over the one at 100%.
I mean clearly that's the way to go.

I agree, Alexander really put his foot in his mouth with that comment.
Let's just hope this means he has finally realized that at the very least Robinson is equal with Cook
and there will be some competition or an upgrade at center. That's the only good thing to read out of that quote.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
I think a strong running game all year would have helped things.

Let's face it, we all thought that we'd have a top offensive line all year and didn't.

With a good running game, Dalton throws less. Throws less interceptions. The lack of a #2 WR isn't as glaring.

Even if we add a Mike Wallace in free agency, we still need to upgrade our running game.

Wharton is a mauler of a Guard, but not great in pass protection. Maybe he upgrades the running game?

Look at the Ravens, they got better when they started handing the ball to Ray Rice. The present line is not a fall back and fire type O-Line-lets look at them-Andre-definately a better run blocker, Zeitler pretty good at both but likes to maul-Cook-much better firing off the ball instead of absorbing the hit, Wharton is a mauler, Boling best feature is he can pull, Big Whit-probably the only one good at both. The great colossus of Roland definately a run blocker when we go 6 man line-Collins probably a better pass blocker.

Most of this line is better smashing-not to mention the fullback (Pressley) is a real jaw smacker as well.

We need explosion -Kenyon Barner will provide the dynamite. He perfectly complements BJG-E.

Barners highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYI7gwHQ07g

his 40 times: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2013&genpos=RB

A write up from a source I trust: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724984

Ian
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Difference in the game was Houston has three pro-bowlers on their O-Line and the bengals have ZERO. And they covered our TE and we couldn't cover their TE.

That was the ball game.
Yes. And why is it that year after year, Zimmer gets his butt handed to him by the other teams' TE? There's a flaw in the slaw!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25462

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglester View Post
Now we see why Palmer and others leave Cincinnati. We just don't get to SuperBowl level.
It is a good thing Palmer left because he would have never got us to the Superbowl. Heck it is looking like his job may be in jeopardy to Terrell Pryor.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
It is a good thing Palmer left because he would have never got us to the Superbowl. Heck it is looking like his job may be in jeopardy to Terrell Pryor.
+1
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Yes. And why is it that year after year, Zimmer gets his butt handed to him by the other teams' TE? There's a flaw in the slaw!
The flaw is the LBs he has to work with **** at coverage.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18001

Quote:

Quote the rest of what he said.

he also siad at 85% he graded out equal to Robinson. Sounds to me as though a 100% healthy Cook is 15% better than a healthy Robinson in entire coaching staffs eyes.

In other words, at 85% we neither lost or gained by rotating the two guys.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Palmer was an overpaid has been QB with no loyalty to the team that signed him at the time to be the highest paid QB and player in the NFL. Don't forget the guy got a huge bonus to sign the long term deal, kept the bonus and acted like a 5 year old by refusing to honor his contract.

I hope the guy rots.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Palmer was an overpaid has been QB with no loyalty to the team that signed him at the time to be the highest paid QB and player in the NFL. Don't forget the guy got a huge bonus to sign the long term deal, kept the bonus and acted like a 5 year old by refusing to honor his contract.

I hope the guy rots.
I think the Von Oelhoffen hit messed him up mentally and he started to think too much.

One other thing is if he doesn't force Mike Browns hand...who knows where the franchise is now.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29384

Quote:
Another loss in the playoffs,is it time to clean house,sorry everybody but the offesense,stinks.rey needs to go.we need another aj.and jay grudens play calling is horrible.fire marvin .

The house is clean in Cincinnati but it has no foundation. When a house is built, where is the support? It's in the trenches where the footers of the house are anchored. Similarly, a football team without strong anchors in the trenches will flounder because the solid base upon which offenses and defenses are built is nonexistent. It is difficult to call a variety of plays on offense when the offensive line is limited in their abilities to run block and perform adequate pass protection. I'm not totally enamored with Jay Gruden either but I must defend him somewhat because there are serious gaps in offensive line play. I know it's a lot more fun to talk about quarterbacks, receivers, and other skill players but without those big hosses in the trenches doing their job perfectly, the skill players never get a chance to shine.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
I think the Von Oelhoffen hit messed him up mentally and he started to think too much.

One other thing is if he doesn't force Mike Browns hand...who knows where the franchise is now.
It turned out great for us. It will never change the fact Palmer is ****** bag and crapped all over the Bengals and the city of Cincinnati.

In the end, he went to a worse franchise and I can only hope the dude endures misery in football the rest of his life.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post

The house is clean in Cincinnati but it has no foundation. When a house is built, where is the support? It's in the trenches where the footers of the house are anchored. Similarly, a football team without strong anchors in the trenches will flounder because the solid base upon which offenses and defenses are built is nonexistent. It is difficult to call a variety of plays on offense when the offensive line is limited in their abilities to run block and perform adequate pass protection. I'm not totally enamored with Jay Gruden either but I must defend him somewhat because there are serious gaps in offensive line play. I know it's a lot more fun to talk about quarterbacks, receivers, and other skill players but without those big hosses in the trenches doing their job perfectly, the skill players never get a chance to shine.
Agreed about the OL. But, our DL may be the best in the NFL. Keep them in tact and even make them better with Still and Thompson and we have 50% of the equation settled.

The OL is anchored by two very good tackles. The interior needs work. Let's hope Cook or Robinson are the answer at center next year. Let's hope Zeitler (who played very well) gets to all pro level next year by getting stronger. Same iwth Boling or Wharton hopefully improving. We started one two year guy and 2 rookies on the OL most of the year with a 3rd year TE and a rookie TE. Rookies are freshman, the good news is next year they are sophmores.

The good news also is we have cap money that we have to spend up to 90% with a huge difference in what we spent in the past. I do see at least one big splash in free agency or via a trade.

I hope it is spent on a veteran wide receiver for a 3 year contract. We are on eof a handful of teams who can actualy afford to sign:
Bowe
Wallace
Welker
Amendola
Hartline

Will we? I have no idea, but we have to spend it on someone so my guess it has to be on one of the following:

WR
Safety
RB
LB
TE
Old 01-25-2013, 06:14 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post

I agree with the trenches being the foundations but not sure I agree that there is no foundation. First off did you see our dline? And it should only improve as Still and Thompson begin really getting up to speed.

I feel Whit and Smith are as solid as you will get on a NFL team. I think the OG positions merely suffered a little bit from youth. C would be the slight question mark. Is Cook or Robinson the guy? Even with Cook or Robinson I feel the line will improve as the youth gains more chemistry.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33448

I'm okay with Gruden out.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer1 View Post
This team is not even close to being a contender. Make it stop.
Yes, because they were one of the top 6 teams in the AFC this year, and were a touchdown away from advancing to the top 4 teams in the AFC this year.

(oops)
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Demagii View Post
In one more season, he is a free agent, and if he is as you claim-a choke artist, Mikey will not resign him...actually I really like the Kelce kid from UC....and he might be there in round 2.

I did not say replace him, I said draft a QB, this is a poor year to draft a QB in the top of the draft (but later...), and BTW for all those wanting to draft a #2 WR-this isnt not the year for that either...and all of you thinking of making a run at Greg Jennings....forsooth fools....

Ian
So you are stating that Indy and Miami should have drafted QBs after the first two seasons of Manning and Marino?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer1 View Post
This team is not even close to being a contender. Make it stop.
So you decided to come out from under the bridge.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18819

Quote:
If you don't want to clean your house, but it needs it, hire a maid.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote the rest of what he said.

he also siad at 85% he graded out equal to Robinson. Sounds to me as though a 100% healthy Cook is 15% better than a healthy Robinson in entire coaching staffs eyes.

In other words, at 85% we neither lost or gained by rotating the two guys.
I'm sorry but the eye told a whole different story. Cook was a post out there and not even a stout one. I call PR spin on PA.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm sorry but the eye told a whole different story. Cook was a post out there and not even a stout one. I call PR spin on PA.
Why would a coach lie? The better angle is to say nothing. I know people want to validate their suspicions, but I believe the coaching staff does grade their players and their grading system is 10 times more accurate than any fan on this board.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Why would a coach lie? The better angle is to say nothing. I know people want to validate their suspicions, but I believe the coaching staff does grade their players and their grading system is 10 times more accurate than any fan on this board.
So if they grade out equally, in what world do you not play the healthy guy? The 85% guy is one wrong move away from reinjury while your QB is getting his clock cleaned. Am I missing something here? If the 85% guy is playing better than the other guy, that's a different story.

And bringing Cook back really seemed to disrupt some cohesion that seemed to be building. If it ain't broke, as they say. And to rush a guy back to do it? Insanity, mismanagement, anti-common sense.

Why would he lie? You think he hasn't read the papers? The first time someone sticks a mic in his face, what does he do? He gets in his excuses.

Last edited by McC; 01-25-2013 at 01:07 PM.