Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,626
Rep Points: 17926
Default "Adults" Bug Me

I'm an adult, but I mean like parents who are in their 40s and 50s, and I obviously don't mean everyone.

I give my presentation about my life to schools, right? When I first started presenting through this program, they completely raped my presentation and it didn't sound like it was me; it sounded like a formal parent.

Case in point: on the slides that were on the night of the wreck, she put "I must have been afraid because I put my seatbelt on," which is true, but we're talking to high school kids, not first graders. High school kids would just look at that and think it sounds like a machine or someone preaching to them, which my presentation is so effective because it just sounds like I'm a normal person and my personality is so open that kids can relate to me.

Luckily, I refused to use their presentation and just kept using my own from my laptop (I convinced them that I needed to because the football videos of me made it too large to fit on a CD).

Monday, I gotta present to a school up in Cinci, but it's during the Homily of their Mass, so I'd obviously have to shorten my presentation. She tells me to shorten it, so I do, but then she emails me and says "ooh, I just went ahead and made one that will work." She completely raped the presentation and made it sound like it's to a bunch of first graders again.

I'm hoping that I can just gain their interest, though, and explain that it's not my real presentation, so hopefully they'll have me back another time.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Bengalzona's Avatar
Bengalzona Bengalzona is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stuck in a Jeffries Tube on Deck 14
Posts: 24,132
Rep Points: 76679
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Sounds like you mean "stupid people" rather than "adults". The two groups are not necessarily synonymous.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Steeler Eater's Avatar
Steeler Eater Steeler Eater is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: I got this
Posts: 12,434
Rep Points: 18047
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
Sounds like you mean "stupid people" rather than "adults". The two groups are not necessarily synonymous.
He means old people.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,626
Rep Points: 17926
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater View Post
He means old people.
And not all old people, just the old people who think the best way to teach a high school student how to cross the street is to hold their hand and baby talk them while you spoon feed them information.

My presentation is successful because it's just my life and it's very raw. My presentation comes out and hits kids in the face.

Part of why kids get so much out of my presentation is because I don't sugar-coat anything.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 9,778
Rep Points: 20761
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
Sounds like you mean "stupid people" rather than "adults". The two groups are not necessarily synonymous.
Have to agree with Zona on this, Brad. As I've said numerous times on here, there is always one rule that I follow that helps me understand or at least deal with the majority of my interactions with members of our species. We call it RULE #1: People are stupid.

Otherwise, I agree with you. I've always hated "grown ups." They screwed up the world before I got here and they continue to screw it up worse. I might be 52, but I'm not a grown up.

I'm with Tom Waits on this one.

Quote:
When I'm lyin' in my bed at night
I don't wanna grow up
Nothin' ever seems to turn out right
I don't wanna grow up
How do you move in a world of fog
That's always changing things
Makes me wish that I could be a dog
When I see the price that you pay
I don't wanna grow up
I don't ever wanna be that way
I don't wanna grow up

Seems like folks turn into things
That they'd never want
The only thing to live for
Is today
I'm gonna put a hole in my TV set
I don't wanna grow up
Open up the medicine chest
And I don't wanna grow up
I don't wnna have to shout it out
I don't want my hair to fall out
I don't wanna be filled with doubt
I don't wanna be a good boy scout
I don't wanna have to learn to count
I don't wanna have the biggest amount
I don't wanna grow up

Well when I see my parents fight
I don't wanna grow up
They all go out and drinking all night
And I don't wanna grow up
I'd rather stay here in my room
Nothin' out there but sad and gloom
I don't wanna live in a big old Tomb
On Grand Street

When I see the 5 o'clock news
I don't wanna grow up
Comb their hair and shine their shoes
I don't wanna grow up
Stay around in my old hometown
I don't wanna put no money down
I don't wanna get me a big old loan
Work them fingers to the bone
I don't wanna float a broom
Fall in and get married then boom
How the hell did I get here so soon
I don't wanna grow up
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM
HarleyDog's Avatar
HarleyDog HarleyDog is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: standing right behind you
Posts: 7,729
Rep Points: 20920
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Shock & Awe is what they are trying to prevent. Its out of their comfort zone. God forbid a student actually learn a real life lesson.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM
wildcats forever's Avatar
wildcats forever wildcats forever is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,023
Rep Points: 51808
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
Shock & Awe is what they are trying to prevent. Its out of their comfort zone. God forbid a student actually learn a real life lesson.
You're on to something here I think. It's this damned politically correct nonsense we've been having shoved at us for so long now, it's numbing almost. For me, I resist becoming a grownup constantly except for when it interferes with keeping the lights on and a roof over my head.
__________________
" Insignificant events can take on monumental proportions when your head is full of practically nothing." - Grace Slick
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,626
Rep Points: 17926
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
Shock & Awe is what they are trying to prevent. Its out of their comfort zone. God forbid a student actually learn a real life lesson.
That's why I'm so good at what I do (at least I think I'm good because I get good feedback and I'll hear from people that have a high school student tell them about some guy that can't walk and talks with a little machine that came into their school).
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
BengaliJack's Avatar
BengaliJack BengaliJack is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,258
Rep Points: 4495
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Keep up the good work....I deal with "adults" all day and most are dumber then a box of rocks.
__________________


COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Fan_in_Kettering's Avatar
Fan_in_Kettering Fan_in_Kettering is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 7,989
Rep Points: 26094
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

"Amen I say to you, whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, shall not enter into it." (St. Mark 10:15)

There is a reason Jesus told us to act like a little child when we learn because children are great learners while most adults are pigheaded. We adults can learn much from our children when it comes to having a childlike faith as Our Lord describes.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 AM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 45,965
Rep Points: 49546
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Case in point: on the slides that were on the night of the wreck, she put "I must have been afraid because I put my seatbelt on," which is true, but we're talking to high school kids, not first graders. High school kids would just look at that and think it sounds like a machine or someone preaching to them, which my presentation is so effective because it just sounds like I'm a normal person and my personality is so open that kids can relate to me. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
My presentation is successful because it's just my life and it's very raw. My presentation comes out and hits kids in the face.

Part of why kids get so much out of my presentation is because I don't sugar-coat anything.
Sorry, but I just not understyanding what you are trying to say. Please give me an example. How would you say "I must have been afraid because I put on my seatbelt"?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Slappy from New Haven's Avatar
Slappy from New Haven Slappy from New Haven is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Cackalaky
Posts: 12,321
Rep Points: 16844
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
I'm an adult, but I mean like parents who are in their 40s and 50s, and I obviously don't mean everyone.

I give my presentation about my life to schools, right? When I first started presenting through this program, they completely raped my presentation and it didn't sound like it was me; it sounded like a formal parent.

Case in point: on the slides that were on the night of the wreck, she put "I must have been afraid because I put my seatbelt on," which is true, but we're talking to high school kids, not first graders. High school kids would just look at that and think it sounds like a machine or someone preaching to them, which my presentation is so effective because it just sounds like I'm a normal person and my personality is so open that kids can relate to me.

Luckily, I refused to use their presentation and just kept using my own from my laptop (I convinced them that I needed to because the football videos of me made it too large to fit on a CD).

Monday, I gotta present to a school up in Cinci, but it's during the Homily of their Mass, so I'd obviously have to shorten my presentation. She tells me to shorten it, so I do, but then she emails me and says "ooh, I just went ahead and made one that will work." She completely raped the presentation and made it sound like it's to a bunch of first graders again.

I'm hoping that I can just gain their interest, though, and explain that it's not my real presentation, so hopefully they'll have me back another time.
Brad if she made a presentation let her give it and politely bow out. You can maybe also develop a condensed program so you wont have this issue in the future?
__________________
formerly NC Bengal Mike
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,626
Rep Points: 17926
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Sorry, but I just not understyanding what you are trying to say. Please give me an example. How would you say "I must have been afraid because I put on my seatbelt"?
I wouldn't say it at all because I usually go into it in the question and answer part amd just say something like "I never ever wore my seatbelt." Also, she put it in two or three times from the time we left the first house until we wrecked. Someone will ask "are you glad you had your seatbelt on," because my presentation says how some wreck specialists say, if I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt, I would have been thrown past the tree and would be fine, but others say I would have been thrown directly into the tree, snapping my neck and killing me instantly. Which I explain about how, yes, I am glad because because I don't see how there's any room in wreck photos to where I could have made it past the tree, plus I'd rather be like this than risk being dead. The program that did this to me also has a health care speaker with me, and she always goes into why seatbelts are important.

She'll go into statistics and things about seatbelts, but my presentation is about making good choices and facing life's struggles (among other things), not about force feeding kids ideas. Trying to force feed kids is how you lose their attention before you even gain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Brad if she made a presentation let her give it and politely bow out. You can maybe also develop a condensed program so you wont have this issue in the future?
I DID MAKE A CONDENSED ONE! AND THEN I EVEN WAS MAKING A SPECIAL ONE FOR THIS MASS TO FOCUS MORE ON RELIGION!! She asked me to do it and then did it herself.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Magikod's Avatar
Magikod Magikod is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 24,829
Rep Points: 32177
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater View Post
He means old people.
lol
__________________
Do you play Counter-Strike 1.6 or CS:GO? If so PM me to play.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Stewy's Avatar
Stewy Stewy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Into the Void.......
Posts: 6,700
Rep Points: 28182
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
Shock & Awe is what they are trying to prevent. Its out of their comfort zone. God forbid a student actually learn a real life lesson.
nail meet head
__________________
cheers!

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Stewy's Avatar
Stewy Stewy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Into the Void.......
Posts: 6,700
Rep Points: 28182
Default Re: "Adults" Bug Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
I DID MAKE A CONDENSED ONE! AND THEN I EVEN WAS MAKING A SPECIAL ONE FOR THIS MASS TO FOCUS MORE ON RELIGION!! She asked me to do it and then did it herself.
SO finish and use your condensed one instead. If they won't let you use yours so you can be effective then you won't be doing much good. Thus you shouldn't worry about them not letting you come back, if they aren't letting you be effective to begin with.
__________________
cheers!

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.