Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 131
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Bengals 10 years before Marvin.. 45-115 Zero playoffs.

Bengals 10 years with Marvin, 79-80-1, 4 playoffs...

1 playoff game in first 5 years (2005)...

3 playoff games in last 5 years...

last two years back to back playoff games. The trend is still in right direction... IMO Marvin stays.

We all feel the no playoff wins...
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5125

If we can keep the treasures and ditch the trash....we have a very talented team. Marvin gets the nod for next season IMO... he's earned it.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms1961 View Post
Bengals 10 years before Marvin.. 45-115 Zero playoffs.

Bengals 10 years with Marvin, 79-80-1, 4 playoffs...

1 playoff game in first 5 years (2005)...

3 playoff games in last 5 years...

last two years back to back playoff games. The trend is still in right direction... IMO Marvin stays.

We all feel the no playoff wins...
There is definitely more talent here now too. I just WOnder what a guy like Cow her would do here.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 40

Of coarse I believe he should be... Some people might make better GM than coaches.
Good way to keep Lewis here for good times sake
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2747
Default Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

I love The Cincinnati Bengals, from the fans up to the owner. This team has done it better than many in the past 10 years. The transition of the working relationship between Coach Marvin Lewis and Owner Mike Brown has been great. The personnel decisions have been exciting and excellent, over all. The fact that Mike Brown, AND Marvin Lewis remained patient with their working relationship has actually paid off. With so many NFL teams jumping from coach to coach/GM to GM, it's amazing that The Bengals' trend has moved upward by fine tuning their own. [Keep in mind that the NFL is a copycat league; therefore, as The Bengals formula continues upward, the NFL will slowly begin to Copy these Cats].
The bashing of Coach Lewis is very weak (Time Management/Challenges/Giggles/Etc) when weighing the pluses (Personnel decisions- Players/Staff/Coaches; Ability to relate to young and old players; Media management). Marvin Lewis has developed into one of the better Coach/GMs in the league. His future may be GM (Hopefully with Cincinnati), but he's doing an outstanding job with both duties.
I'm seeing a lot more 'Public' Bengal fans than I have in almost 30 years. Many more fans are optimistic than the few dissatisfied JN loggers. No one is screaming for cuts/firing like it has been in the past. Most are giddy about the draft, versus the plea that The Bengals 'move up' for a savior. Many are concerned (me. too) that some players get contracts done prior to FA (The Jonathan Joesph-Effect), but all in all not too worried with the final outcome.

I'm likin' me some Bengals!

Last edited by victor24; 01-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
I love The Cincinnati Bengals, from the fans up to the owner. This team has done it better than many in the past 10 years. The transition of the working relationship between Coach Marvin Lewis and Owner Mike Brown has been great. The personnel decisions have been exciting and excellent, over all. The fact that Mike Brown, AND Marvin Lewis remained patient with their working relationship has actually paid off. With so many NFL teams jumping from coach to coach/GM to GM, it's amazing that The Bengals' trend has moved upward by fine tuning their own. [Keep in mind that the NFL is a copycat league; therefore, as The Bengals formula continues upward, the NFL will slowly begin to Copy these Cats].
The bashing of Coach Lewis is very weak (Time Management/Challenges/Giggles/Etc) when weighing the pluses (Personnel decisions- Players/Staff/Coaches; Ability to relate to young and old players; Media management). Marvin Lewis has developed into one of the better Coach/GMs in the league. His future may be GM (Hopefully with Cincinnati), but he's doing an outstanding job with both duties.
I'm seeing a lot more 'Public' Bengal fans than I have in almost 30 years. Many more fans are optimistic than the few dissatisfied JN loggers. No one is screaming for cuts/firing like it has been in the past. Most are giddy about the draft, versus the plea that The Bengals 'move up' for a savior. Many are concerned (me. too) that some players get contracts done prior to FA (The Jonathan Joesph-Effect), but all in all not too worried with the final outcome.

And I thought I was a homer, holy **** batman.

Bengals have a much different FO than most, which is why, most teams will never copycat us with keeping the same coach for 10+ years with 0 playoff wins. That's craziness.

You're sipping the kool-aid while smoking a fatty.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Progress trumps the big payoff. Cleveland just fired a very good coach, because of the 'we need a Super Bowl' win next year, philosophy. Philly's coach got signed in less than 2 weeks, because he was a consistent winning coach (the Philly Fans caused that move). Organizations often times are missing one or two pieces (49ers were missing a head coach/Seahawks were missing a Q... one of the overlooked pieces is the developmental-time factor. I think that this was needed in Cincinnati. It is paying off right now. It would be foolish to throw out a product that's working for the past 2 years, because it wasn't 5 years ago.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 588

Time management is not a weak argument against Coach Lewis. Time management at the end of each half consistently wins and looses games at the NFL, collegiate, and high school level. I agree with some of your positives, but to completely gloss over the Coach's ineffectiveness at time management is contrary to good coaching at any level.

I think Marvin has done a good job, but I do think it is past time that he takes the next step and leads the team deep into the play-offs. I would be calling for him to be replaced, but I lack faith that the current Bengals owner will find a better replacement.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18694

Quote:

I love Marvin Lewis and I agree that he has a lot more control than any other coach that's been here, but to argue that this is a franchise that teams want to model is aboslutely ridiculous.

You also left out the biggest piece in the bashing of Marvin Lewis, and that's game planning. He seems to have gotten betterr, but I think that's just because he's letting the coordinators come up with their plan. Take '09, we won the division, but his game plan was to tun the ball into the ground, even if we weren't getting anywhere, and we only won the division because of Carson's two-minute drill abilities.

What makes you think that Marvin would be a good GM? Is he good in business? Would he be able to work out deals that are beneficial to the organization and to the player? Does he know how to draw up contracts? Can he balance a budget? Not all GMs can, but my point is what qualifies Marvin to be a GM more than a guy that does it as his job? Marvin's been ok with personnel decisions, but who's to say that a GM wouldn't be great with it, or even good?

I guess I'm saying that the team has succeeded in spite of the way it's run, not because of it, and Marvin's been great for us, but that's because this organization was that crapper of professional sports for so long.

This idea would likely leave us at continuing to be a mediocre organization and would never allow us to get to the next level because it would be another one of Mike Brown's "this is good enough" mindsets.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post

You're sipping the kool-aid while smoking a fatty.
Nothing wrong with that.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Nothing wrong with that.

I was just making an observation.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
I love Marvin Lewis...I guess I'm saying that the team has succeeded in spite of the way it's run, not because of it,
No NFL/Pro-Sports/NCAA organization is functional enough to achieve back-to-back Playoff appearances under a concept like that one you (and others) have suggested. As far as coordinators being successful is concerned, that was due to GM/Head Coach Marvin Lewis selecting them as OC/DC, AND convincing them to sign with The Bengals. The more that Mike Brown becomes comfortable with Marvin Lewis' vision, the more consistent success evolves with The Bengals.
I can name 15 GM/Owners that would take a very serious hard look at Marvin Lewis, if he were available this year...and it wouldn't be due to the 'Rooney-Rule'.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18694

Quote:
No NFL/Pro-Sports/NCAA organization is functional enough to achieve back-to-back Playoff appearances under a concept like that one you (and others) have suggested. As far as coordinators being successful is concerned, that was due to GM/Head Coach Marvin Lewis selecting them as OC/DC, AND convincing them to sign with The Bengals. The more that Mike Brown becomes comfortable with Marvin Lewis' vision, the more consistent success evolves with The Bengals.

I can name 15 GM/Owners that would take a very serious hard look at Marvin Lewis
, if he were available this year...and it wouldn't be due to the 'Rooney-Rule'.

Name them, tell me why they'd look at him, and why'd he be an appealing hire.

Marvin Lewis selected the coordinators and convinced them to sign here? First off, Mike Brown selected Gruden as a last-ditch effort to get Carson to stay here, and moving to the NFL from Arena ball doesn't take a whole lot of convincing. Second, how do you know that Marvin convinced Zimmer? What did Marvin say that won Zim over?

If the organization isn't run like the concept that we have described, then please share how it is run? How do you know this?

Also, why did you avoid this part of my post:
Quote:
What makes you think that Marvin would be a good GM? Is he good in business? Would he be able to work out deals that are beneficial to the organization and to the player? Does he know how to draw up contracts? Can he balance a budget? Not all GMs can, but my point is what qualifies Marvin to be a GM more than a guy that does it as his job? Marvin's been ok with personnel decisions, but who's to say that a GM wouldn't be great with it, or even good?
? Please answer those questions.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5224

Quote:
I can name 15 GM/Owners that would take a very serious hard look at Marvin Lewis, if he were available this year...and it wouldn't be due to the 'Rooney-Rule'.

2 years ago Marvin Lewis was available and not one team contacted him for an interview even though there were over 10 head coaching positions, Marvin's agent then contacted the 49ers for an interview and they weren't interested.

Since then Marvin still has ZERO playoff wins so please tell me why a team would be interested in him now?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

I think he deserves a chance to try to go farther in the play-offs, if at the end of his contract, or a 4-12 season, then move him on, either to G.M, or out the door.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
I think he deserves a chance to try to go farther in the play-offs, if at the end of his contract, or a 4-12 season, then move him on, either to G.M, or out the door.
He deserves a chance to try and advance in the playoffs why?

10 years ZERO playoff wins

Nada, zilch, none, nada
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
He deserves a chance to try and advance in the playoffs why?

10 years ZERO playoff wins

Nada, zilch, none, nada
I just believe he built this team, seems he ought to be the one to take it as far as it can go, guys on the board say Dalton will be a elite q-back in three- four more years, so maybe he can win a play-off game.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
I just believe he built this team,

Some people believe in UFOs