Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
dms1961 dms1961 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 54
Rep Points: 131
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Bengals 10 years before Marvin.. 45-115 Zero playoffs.

Bengals 10 years with Marvin, 79-80-1, 4 playoffs...

1 playoff game in first 5 years (2005)...

3 playoff games in last 5 years...

last two years back to back playoff games. The trend is still in right direction... IMO Marvin stays.

We all feel the no playoff wins...
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
BengaliJack's Avatar
BengaliJack BengaliJack is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,542
Rep Points: 5125
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

If we can keep the treasures and ditch the trash....we have a very talented team. Marvin gets the nod for next season IMO... he's earned it.
__________________


COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,736
Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms1961 View Post
Bengals 10 years before Marvin.. 45-115 Zero playoffs.

Bengals 10 years with Marvin, 79-80-1, 4 playoffs...

1 playoff game in first 5 years (2005)...

3 playoff games in last 5 years...

last two years back to back playoff games. The trend is still in right direction... IMO Marvin stays.

We all feel the no playoff wins...
There is definitely more talent here now too. I just WOnder what a guy like Cow her would do here.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Cardiackat's Avatar
Cardiackat Cardiackat is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 60
Rep Points: 40
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Of coarse I believe he should be... Some people might make better GM than coaches.
Good way to keep Lewis here for good times sake
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM
victor24 victor24 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 2,100
Rep Points: 2747
Default Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

I love The Cincinnati Bengals, from the fans up to the owner. This team has done it better than many in the past 10 years. The transition of the working relationship between Coach Marvin Lewis and Owner Mike Brown has been great. The personnel decisions have been exciting and excellent, over all. The fact that Mike Brown, AND Marvin Lewis remained patient with their working relationship has actually paid off. With so many NFL teams jumping from coach to coach/GM to GM, it's amazing that The Bengals' trend has moved upward by fine tuning their own. [Keep in mind that the NFL is a copycat league; therefore, as The Bengals formula continues upward, the NFL will slowly begin to Copy these Cats].
The bashing of Coach Lewis is very weak (Time Management/Challenges/Giggles/Etc) when weighing the pluses (Personnel decisions- Players/Staff/Coaches; Ability to relate to young and old players; Media management). Marvin Lewis has developed into one of the better Coach/GMs in the league. His future may be GM (Hopefully with Cincinnati), but he's doing an outstanding job with both duties.
I'm seeing a lot more 'Public' Bengal fans than I have in almost 30 years. Many more fans are optimistic than the few dissatisfied JN loggers. No one is screaming for cuts/firing like it has been in the past. Most are giddy about the draft, versus the plea that The Bengals 'move up' for a savior. Many are concerned (me. too) that some players get contracts done prior to FA (The Jonathan Joesph-Effect), but all in all not too worried with the final outcome.

I'm likin' me some Bengals!
__________________
You Shall Not Pass!!!

Last edited by victor24; 01-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,211
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
I love The Cincinnati Bengals, from the fans up to the owner. This team has done it better than many in the past 10 years. The transition of the working relationship between Coach Marvin Lewis and Owner Mike Brown has been great. The personnel decisions have been exciting and excellent, over all. The fact that Mike Brown, AND Marvin Lewis remained patient with their working relationship has actually paid off. With so many NFL teams jumping from coach to coach/GM to GM, it's amazing that The Bengals' trend has moved upward by fine tuning their own. [Keep in mind that the NFL is a copycat league; therefore, as The Bengals formula continues upward, the NFL will slowly begin to Copy these Cats].
The bashing of Coach Lewis is very weak (Time Management/Challenges/Giggles/Etc) when weighing the pluses (Personnel decisions- Players/Staff/Coaches; Ability to relate to young and old players; Media management). Marvin Lewis has developed into one of the better Coach/GMs in the league. His future may be GM (Hopefully with Cincinnati), but he's doing an outstanding job with both duties.
I'm seeing a lot more 'Public' Bengal fans than I have in almost 30 years. Many more fans are optimistic than the few dissatisfied JN loggers. No one is screaming for cuts/firing like it has been in the past. Most are giddy about the draft, versus the plea that The Bengals 'move up' for a savior. Many are concerned (me. too) that some players get contracts done prior to FA (The Jonathan Joesph-Effect), but all in all not too worried with the final outcome.

I'm likin' me some Bengals!
And I thought I was a homer, holy **** batman.

Bengals have a much different FO than most, which is why, most teams will never copycat us with keeping the same coach for 10+ years with 0 playoff wins. That's craziness.

You're sipping the kool-aid while smoking a fatty.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM
victor24 victor24 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 2,100
Rep Points: 2747
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Progress trumps the big payoff. Cleveland just fired a very good coach, because of the 'we need a Super Bowl' win next year, philosophy. Philly's coach got signed in less than 2 weeks, because he was a consistent winning coach (the Philly Fans caused that move). Organizations often times are missing one or two pieces (49ers were missing a head coach/Seahawks were missing a Q... one of the overlooked pieces is the developmental-time factor. I think that this was needed in Cincinnati. It is paying off right now. It would be foolish to throw out a product that's working for the past 2 years, because it wasn't 5 years ago.
__________________
You Shall Not Pass!!!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Since82's Avatar
Since82 Since82 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 640
Rep Points: 588
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Time management is not a weak argument against Coach Lewis. Time management at the end of each half consistently wins and looses games at the NFL, collegiate, and high school level. I agree with some of your positives, but to completely gloss over the Coach's ineffectiveness at time management is contrary to good coaching at any level.

I think Marvin has done a good job, but I do think it is past time that he takes the next step and leads the team deep into the play-offs. I would be calling for him to be replaced, but I lack faith that the current Bengals owner will find a better replacement.
__________________
Sometimes it makes we want to laugh. Sometimes I want to take my toaster into the bath. - Mark Hoppus

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,789
Rep Points: 18694
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
I love The Cincinnati Bengals, from the fans up to the owner. This team has done it better than many in the past 10 years. The transition of the working relationship between Coach Marvin Lewis and Owner Mike Brown has been great. The personnel decisions have been exciting and excellent, over all. The fact that Mike Brown, AND Marvin Lewis remained patient with their working relationship has actually paid off. With so many NFL teams jumping from coach to coach/GM to GM, it's amazing that The Bengals' trend has moved upward by fine tuning their own. [Keep in mind that the NFL is a copycat league; therefore, as The Bengals formula continues upward, the NFL will slowly begin to Copy these Cats].
The bashing of Coach Lewis is very weak (Time Management/Challenges/Giggles/Etc) when weighing the pluses (Personnel decisions- Players/Staff/Coaches; Ability to relate to young and old players; Media management). Marvin Lewis has developed into one of the better Coach/GMs in the league. His future may be GM (Hopefully with Cincinnati), but he's doing an outstanding job with both duties.
I'm seeing a lot more 'Public' Bengal fans than I have in almost 30 years. Many more fans are optimistic than the few dissatisfied JN loggers. No one is screaming for cuts/firing like it has been in the past. Most are giddy about the draft, versus the plea that The Bengals 'move up' for a savior. Many are concerned (me. too) that some players get contracts done prior to FA (The Jonathan Joesph-Effect), but all in all not too worried with the final outcome.

I'm likin' me some Bengals!
I love Marvin Lewis and I agree that he has a lot more control than any other coach that's been here, but to argue that this is a franchise that teams want to model is aboslutely ridiculous.

You also left out the biggest piece in the bashing of Marvin Lewis, and that's game planning. He seems to have gotten betterr, but I think that's just because he's letting the coordinators come up with their plan. Take '09, we won the division, but his game plan was to tun the ball into the ground, even if we weren't getting anywhere, and we only won the division because of Carson's two-minute drill abilities.

What makes you think that Marvin would be a good GM? Is he good in business? Would he be able to work out deals that are beneficial to the organization and to the player? Does he know how to draw up contracts? Can he balance a budget? Not all GMs can, but my point is what qualifies Marvin to be a GM more than a guy that does it as his job? Marvin's been ok with personnel decisions, but who's to say that a GM wouldn't be great with it, or even good?

I guess I'm saying that the team has succeeded in spite of the way it's run, not because of it, and Marvin's been great for us, but that's because this organization was that crapper of professional sports for so long.

This idea would likely leave us at continuing to be a mediocre organization and would never allow us to get to the next level because it would be another one of Mike Brown's "this is good enough" mindsets.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,755
Rep Points: 32184
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post

You're sipping the kool-aid while smoking a fatty.
Nothing wrong with that.
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,211
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Nothing wrong with that.

I was just making an observation.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
victor24 victor24 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 2,100
Rep Points: 2747
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
I love Marvin Lewis...I guess I'm saying that the team has succeeded in spite of the way it's run, not because of it,
No NFL/Pro-Sports/NCAA organization is functional enough to achieve back-to-back Playoff appearances under a concept like that one you (and others) have suggested. As far as coordinators being successful is concerned, that was due to GM/Head Coach Marvin Lewis selecting them as OC/DC, AND convincing them to sign with The Bengals. The more that Mike Brown becomes comfortable with Marvin Lewis' vision, the more consistent success evolves with The Bengals.
I can name 15 GM/Owners that would take a very serious hard look at Marvin Lewis, if he were available this year...and it wouldn't be due to the 'Rooney-Rule'.

__________________
You Shall Not Pass!!!
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,789
Rep Points: 18694
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
No NFL/Pro-Sports/NCAA organization is functional enough to achieve back-to-back Playoff appearances under a concept like that one you (and others) have suggested. As far as coordinators being successful is concerned, that was due to GM/Head Coach Marvin Lewis selecting them as OC/DC, AND convincing them to sign with The Bengals. The more that Mike Brown becomes comfortable with Marvin Lewis' vision, the more consistent success evolves with The Bengals.

I can name 15 GM/Owners that would take a very serious hard look at Marvin Lewis
, if he were available this year...and it wouldn't be due to the 'Rooney-Rule'.

Name them, tell me why they'd look at him, and why'd he be an appealing hire.

Marvin Lewis selected the coordinators and convinced them to sign here? First off, Mike Brown selected Gruden as a last-ditch effort to get Carson to stay here, and moving to the NFL from Arena ball doesn't take a whole lot of convincing. Second, how do you know that Marvin convinced Zimmer? What did Marvin say that won Zim over?

If the organization isn't run like the concept that we have described, then please share how it is run? How do you know this?

Also, why did you avoid this part of my post:
Quote:
What makes you think that Marvin would be a good GM? Is he good in business? Would he be able to work out deals that are beneficial to the organization and to the player? Does he know how to draw up contracts? Can he balance a budget? Not all GMs can, but my point is what qualifies Marvin to be a GM more than a guy that does it as his job? Marvin's been ok with personnel decisions, but who's to say that a GM wouldn't be great with it, or even good?
? Please answer those questions.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Marvin Lewis is the next Ozzie Newsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor24 View Post
No NFL/Pro-Sports/NCAA organization is functional enough to achieve back-to-back Playoff appearances under a concept like that one you (and others) have suggested. As far as coordinators being successful is concerned, that was due to GM/Head Coach Marvin Lewis selecting them as OC/DC, AND convincing them to sign with The Bengals. The more that Mike Brown becomes comfortable with Marvin Lewis' vision, the more consistent success evolves with The Bengals.
I can name 15 GM/Owners that would take a very serious hard look at Marvin Lewis, if he were available this year...and it wouldn't be due to the 'Rooney-Rule'.

2 years ago Marvin Lewis was available and not one team contacted him for an interview even though there were over 10 head coaching positions, Marvin's agent then contacted the 49ers for an interview and they weren't interested.

Since then Marvin still has ZERO playoff wins so please tell me why a team would be interested in him now?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

I think he deserves a chance to try to go farther in the play-offs, if at the end of his contract, or a 4-12 season, then move him on, either to G.M, or out the door.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
I think he deserves a chance to try to go farther in the play-offs, if at the end of his contract, or a 4-12 season, then move him on, either to G.M, or out the door.
He deserves a chance to try and advance in the playoffs why?

10 years ZERO playoff wins

Nada, zilch, none, nada
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
He deserves a chance to try and advance in the playoffs why?

10 years ZERO playoff wins

Nada, zilch, none, nada
I just believe he built this team, seems he ought to be the one to take it as far as it can go, guys on the board say Dalton will be a elite q-back in three- four more years, so maybe he can win a play-off game.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,168
Rep Points: 5224
Default Re: Think Lewis should be GM ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
I just believe he built this team,


Some people believe in UFOs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.