Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2651
Default Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

LOL, horrible....

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans Hornets owner Tom Benson is changing his team's nickname to the Pelicans and said the switch will create a bond with the city that could lead to a championship.

The Hornets announced Thursday they are going ahead with the name change. The NBA still has to approve it, but commissioner David Stern has said he wouldn't object to any name Benson chose. The league is expected to expedite the change at the start of next season.

The new color scheme is blue, gold and red, a departure from the Hornets' teal, purple, gold and white.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88...hange-pelicans
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18271
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Quote:
Hey Manny, look at the pelican fly. Come on pelican!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
LOL, horrible....

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans Hornets owner Tom Benson is changing his team's nickname to the Pelicans and said the switch will create a bond with the city that could lead to a championship.

The Hornets announced Thursday they are going ahead with the name change. The NBA still has to approve it, but commissioner David Stern has said he wouldn't object to any name Benson chose. The league is expected to expedite the change at the start of next season.

The new color scheme is blue, gold and red, a departure from the Hornets' teal, purple, gold and white.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88...hange-pelicans
People are really blowing this way out of proportion. I think that's a really nice looking logo imo. Also, let's look at some current team names and tell me if they don't sound stupid.

Knickerbocker
Thunder
Clippers
Magic
Wizards
Bobcats
Heat
Pacers
Lakers
Utah Jazz :P
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33476

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopbengals View Post
People are really blowing this way out of proportion. I think that's a really nice looking logo imo. Also, let's look at some current team names and tell me if they don't sound stupid.

Knickerbocker
Thunder
Clippers
Magic
Wizards
Bobcats
Heat
Pacers
Lakers
Utah Jazz :P
Whats your Beef With Magic and Wizards.... Or jazz... and Thunder. or bobcats... OU team name..

I think that logo looks good. when i think pelican though i think Halo Drop Ship lol
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2855

Calling them the New Orleans Gators would have been a better name IMHO and still been relevant with the area.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Whats your Beef With Magic and Wizards.... Or jazz... and Thunder. or bobcats... OU team name..

I think that logo looks good. when i think pelican though i think Halo Drop Ship lol
They would all sound silly too if we weren't accustomed to them. I have no issues, just pointing that out. Also the Jazz is weird because Jazz isn't really a Utah thing.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

Hey I approve, especially if this means that the Charlotte team can once again be dubbed the Hornets + bring back the color scheme. I think "Bobcats" is even sillier than "Pelicans" and "Hornets" is a far more Charlotte appropriate team name. Kinda like when Art Modell did his thing, the "Baltimore Browns" would not have been appropriate. Plus memories of some quality teams out in Charlotte (Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Glen Rice) can be remembered as The Charlotte Hornets wearing those colors (as opposed to the Bobcats pathetic 10-15 wins squads). Plus I really do approve of the new New Orleans Logo :)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18133

Miami Heat is a good name.

Utah Jazz is good only because when the team moved from it's former location they were loyal to keep the name aka Lakers moving from Minnesota, Rams moving LA and before that Cleveland. The Dodgers, moving from Brooklyn, the Clippers from San Diego, the Cardinals from St. Louis, the Giants from New York, etc.

Ironically, the Utah Jazz previous location was ...ta dah.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12921

Logo is good...Name is bad.

I don't think the Bobcats can switch names. NO took the history when they moved I believe.

RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23218

Pelicans will mess you up!!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
Logo is good...Name is bad.

I don't think the Bobcats can switch names. NO took the history when they moved I believe.
Benson wanted to rename the team to something actually related to New Orleans and the Pelican is the state bird of Louisiana and this actually does look good, my first thought when I first heard they would do this was some cartoonish bird but they did well with this

the Bobcats are looking into the Hornets name with the league and there's a movement going on in Charlotte by fans to restore the Hornets there

and this situation happened in the NHL last year when Atlanta moved to Winnipeg after Winnipeg lost the Jets to Phoenix in 1996, Phoenix still retains the Jets old records but Winnipeg got to use the Jets name anyway

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 01-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.