Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Trademark's Avatar
Trademark Trademark is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 2,942
Rep Points: 2651
Default Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

LOL, horrible....

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans Hornets owner Tom Benson is changing his team's nickname to the Pelicans and said the switch will create a bond with the city that could lead to a championship.

The Hornets announced Thursday they are going ahead with the name change. The NBA still has to approve it, but commissioner David Stern has said he wouldn't object to any name Benson chose. The league is expected to expedite the change at the start of next season.

The new color scheme is blue, gold and red, a departure from the Hornets' teal, purple, gold and white.



http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88...hange-pelicans
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Steeler Eater's Avatar
Steeler Eater Steeler Eater is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: I got this
Posts: 12,467
Rep Points: 18271
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Quote:
Hey Manny, look at the pelican fly. Come on pelican!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
bishopbengals's Avatar
bishopbengals bishopbengals is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 612
Rep Points: 719
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademark View Post
LOL, horrible....

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans Hornets owner Tom Benson is changing his team's nickname to the Pelicans and said the switch will create a bond with the city that could lead to a championship.

The Hornets announced Thursday they are going ahead with the name change. The NBA still has to approve it, but commissioner David Stern has said he wouldn't object to any name Benson chose. The league is expected to expedite the change at the start of next season.

The new color scheme is blue, gold and red, a departure from the Hornets' teal, purple, gold and white.



http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/88...hange-pelicans
People are really blowing this way out of proportion. I think that's a really nice looking logo imo. Also, let's look at some current team names and tell me if they don't sound stupid.

Knickerbocker
Thunder
Clippers
Magic
Wizards
Bobcats
Heat
Pacers
Lakers
Utah Jazz :P
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 34,436
Rep Points: 33476
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopbengals View Post
People are really blowing this way out of proportion. I think that's a really nice looking logo imo. Also, let's look at some current team names and tell me if they don't sound stupid.

Knickerbocker
Thunder
Clippers
Magic
Wizards
Bobcats
Heat
Pacers
Lakers
Utah Jazz :P
Whats your Beef With Magic and Wizards.... Or jazz... and Thunder. or bobcats... OU team name..

I think that logo looks good. when i think pelican though i think Halo Drop Ship lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
ICKYSHUFFLE's Avatar
ICKYSHUFFLE ICKYSHUFFLE is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 2,211
Rep Points: 2855
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Calling them the New Orleans Gators would have been a better name IMHO and still been relevant with the area.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
bishopbengals's Avatar
bishopbengals bishopbengals is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 612
Rep Points: 719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Whats your Beef With Magic and Wizards.... Or jazz... and Thunder. or bobcats... OU team name..

I think that logo looks good. when i think pelican though i think Halo Drop Ship lol
They would all sound silly too if we weren't accustomed to them. I have no issues, just pointing that out. Also the Jazz is weird because Jazz isn't really a Utah thing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Sham69Rock Sham69Rock is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 1,383
Rep Points: 1499
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Hey I approve, especially if this means that the Charlotte team can once again be dubbed the Hornets + bring back the color scheme. I think "Bobcats" is even sillier than "Pelicans" and "Hornets" is a far more Charlotte appropriate team name. Kinda like when Art Modell did his thing, the "Baltimore Browns" would not have been appropriate. Plus memories of some quality teams out in Charlotte (Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Glen Rice) can be remembered as The Charlotte Hornets wearing those colors (as opposed to the Bobcats pathetic 10-15 wins squads). Plus I really do approve of the new New Orleans Logo :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM
BengalYankee's Avatar
BengalYankee BengalYankee is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 11,127
Rep Points: 18133
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Miami Heat is a good name.

Utah Jazz is good only because when the team moved from it's former location they were loyal to keep the name aka Lakers moving from Minnesota, Rams moving LA and before that Cleveland. The Dodgers, moving from Brooklyn, the Clippers from San Diego, the Cardinals from St. Louis, the Giants from New York, etc.

Ironically, the Utah Jazz previous location was ...ta dah.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM
spinksjinx's Avatar
spinksjinx spinksjinx is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,092
Rep Points: 12921
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Logo is good...Name is bad.

I don't think the Bobcats can switch names. NO took the history when they moved I believe.
__________________


RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,105
Rep Points: 23218
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Pelicans will mess you up!!



__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Hornets officially becoming Pelicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
Logo is good...Name is bad.

I don't think the Bobcats can switch names. NO took the history when they moved I believe.
Benson wanted to rename the team to something actually related to New Orleans and the Pelican is the state bird of Louisiana and this actually does look good, my first thought when I first heard they would do this was some cartoonish bird but they did well with this

the Bobcats are looking into the Hornets name with the league and there's a movement going on in Charlotte by fans to restore the Hornets there

and this situation happened in the NHL last year when Atlanta moved to Winnipeg after Winnipeg lost the Jets to Phoenix in 1996, Phoenix still retains the Jets old records but Winnipeg got to use the Jets name anyway
__________________

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 01-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.