Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
ExtraNirvana's Avatar
ExtraNirvana ExtraNirvana is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,292
Rep Points: 9320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
The Jim Anderson who coached Pro Bowlers Icky Woods, Corey Dillon, James Brooks, etc, etc? That Jim Anderson is a moron?

Ummmm....your post is an epic fail!
Anything relevant in this quote to the last decade?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,321
Rep Points: 3154
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Perhaps the reason that coaches are typically given negative criticism versus positive criticism is because they are adults in a professional establishment. In most professional establishments, you do not praise someone for doing his or her job successfully. You save the praise only for when they go above and beyond. And you provide negative criticism for when someone does his or her job poorly.

Professional coaches and players are not children, they are adults. They do not need to be awarded simply for doing their jobs at a satisfactory level. They should be praised only when their performance is outstanding. And disciplined/called out when their performance is unsatisfactory.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
Man Fred, all of these one years sure are proving your point of having a great RB and coach to go with him.
What about this year, According to you we had the 30th ranked RBs in the league and a weak O-line yet the Bengals finished 18th in both rushing yards and yards per carry?

Anderson took a RB who you kept telling us was incapable of making any big runs (BJGE) and turned him into a RB that finished tenth in the league in runs over 20 yards and sixth in the league in runs over 40 yards.

So according to you Anderson did the impossible, yet you still give him no credit? How can that be?
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
Anything relevant in this quote to the last decade?
The "etc" part includes Rudi Johnson and Lorenzo Neal who both went to their first Pro Bowl while playing under Anderson.

You are welcome for the lesson.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
dr1441's Avatar
dr1441 dr1441 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 8,856
Rep Points: 9925
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
What about this year, According to you we had the 30th ranked RBs in the league and a weak O-line yet the Bengals finished 18th in both rushing yards and yards per carry?

Anderson took a RB who you kept telling us was incapable of making any big runs (BJGE) and turned him into a RB that finished tenth in the league in runs over 20 yards and sixth in the league in runs over 40 yards.

So according to you Anderson did the impossible, yet you still give him no credit? How can that be?
I was telling you he wasn't able to break runs or his stats and his career was telling you he couldn't break runs? Before he came here his long was 29 yards. That isn't me making up numbers, those are facts.

And the fact is he still has never broke one for over 50, nor did he score on many long runs because he was caught from behind.

And Anderson didn't do anything but play the guy that Mike Brown overpaid to be our feature back. Plain and simple. BJGE is still not good, won't be good and isn't a franchise back. And Anderson still hasn't developed a running back in decades. Your argument isn't even good Fred. Normally you bring something to the table but you are grasping for small straws on this one.
__________________

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
I was telling you he wasn't able to break runs or his stats and his career was telling you he couldn't break runs? Before he came here his long was 29 yards. That isn't me making up numbers, those are facts.

And the fact is he still has never broke one for over 50, nor did he score on many long runs because he was caught from behind.

And Anderson didn't do anything but play the guy that Mike Brown overpaid to be our feature back. Plain and simple. BJGE is still not good, won't be good and isn't a franchise back. And Anderson still hasn't developed a running back in decades. Your argument isn't even good Fred. Normally you bring something to the table but you are grasping for small straws on this one.
Yeah, right, how could you possibly give a coach any credit for taking a player and having him do something that he has never done before in his career? Something that both his numbers and your "expert" opinion said he couldn't do.

And behind a serioisly flawed (by your own admission) O-line.

Silly me.

Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Rudi was an outstanding RB in college (SEC Payer of the Year, 10th in Heisman voting) and had a three year strech with the Bengals where he averaged over 1400 yds and 12 tds per year.

That is more than "average" no matter how you try to spin it.
He was AVERAGE at best, any RB who was running behind that line and had that many carries at that time would have put up those numbers or better, that's a no brainer.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
The "etc" part includes Rudi Johnson and Lorenzo Neal who both went to their first Pro Bowl while playing under Anderson.

You are welcome for the lesson.
Anderson had nothing to do with that, it was the O LINE that was outstanding. Hell I think Neal could have ran for 1,000 yds behind that line.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
He was AVERAGE at best, any RB who was running behind that line and had that many carries at that time would have put up those numbers or better, that's a no brainer.
No you are wrong.

he was the National Junior College Player of the year before he went to Auburn. That was not due to a great O-line.

He was the SEC PLayer of the Year at Auburn, and that was not due to a great O-line. In fact he kept Ronnie Brown on the bench.

He did play behind a fine O-line with the bengals, but he was also a very good RB.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,355
Rep Points: 19732
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
No you are wrong.

he was the National Junior College Player of the year before he went to Auburn. That was not due to a great O-line.

He was the SEC PLayer of the Year at Auburn, and that was not due to a great O-line. In fact he kept Ronnie Brown on the bench.

He did play behind a fine O-line with the bengals, but he was also a very good RB.
So, what you're saying is he was already good when he got here, a lot like Brooks, Icky and CD.
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
So, what you're saying is he was already good when he got here, a lot like Brooks, Icky and CD.
Yes he was good, but lots of good players fail in the NFL if they have poor coaches.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,355
Rep Points: 19732
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Yes he was good, but lots of good players fail in the NFL if they have poor coaches.
Point is when you stack up all the guys he's coached, the best ones were the ones who got here good already. Can those guys be used as examples of his relative skill as a position coach?

I also wonder about guys who never get opp's to move up the food chain. Most guys don't stay position coaches their whole career. Maybe that's all he ever wanted. Who knows?

We have a few of these. Not saying that means anything...
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,859
Rep Points: 23613
bengals Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Point is when you stack up all the guys he's coached, the best ones were the ones who got here good already. Can those guys be used as examples of his relative skill as a position coach?

I also wonder about guys who never get opp's to move up the food chain. Most guys don't stay position coaches their whole career. Maybe that's all he ever wanted. Who knows?

We have a few of these. Not saying that means anything...
So then if you draft talented players then you do not need coaches right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,355
Rep Points: 19732
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
So then if you draft talented players then you do not need coaches right?
Did I say that, Cpt. Pick-a-fight?
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Poi

I also wonder about guys who never get opp's to move up the food chain...
I think he interviewed for the head coaching job at Stanford a few years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,355
Rep Points: 19732
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
I think he interviewed for the head coaching job at Stanford a few years ago.
Anderson did? Was that before Harbaugh?
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Anderson did? Was that before Harbaugh?
2001. A lot longer back than I thought.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 21,859
Rep Points: 23613
bengals Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Did I say that, Cpt. Pick-a-fight?
Hey just trying to figure out your theories here because apparently none of our coaches have any business being in the profession because everything good that happens is purely due to the talent of the players but if it is negative then the talent things is thrown out the window and it is the coaching staffs fault.

Just trying to follow the reasoning here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
So then if you draft talented players then you do not need coaches right?
That's a classic strawman if I ever saw one.

What he's saying is guys like Corey Dillon, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, etc... don't need much coaching on how to be a running back. They already knew how to do that very well coming out of college. What made/makes them great are the physical and mental tools they possessed long before entering the NFL.

The Bengals have some of the longest tenured position coaches in the NFL. We've also got the longest playoff win drought. Connect the dots. Most of the guys under the Bengals employ aren't very good at what they do. Maybe they USED TO BE, but they aren't anymore.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 01-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
dr1441's Avatar
dr1441 dr1441 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 8,856
Rep Points: 9925
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
That's a classic strawman if I ever saw one.

What he's saying is guys like Corey Dillon, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, etc... don't need much coaching on how to be a running back. They already knew how to do that very well coming out of college. What made/makes them great are the physical and mental tools they possessed long before entering the NFL.

The Bengals have some of the longest tenured position coaches in the NFL. We've also got the longest playoff win drought. Connect the dots. Most of the guys under the Bengals employ aren't very good at what they do. Maybe they USED TO BE, but they aren't anymore.
You can't say this, they won a rushing title in 1989 when Jim Anderson was here. He is obviously one of the most sought after coaches in the NFL.
__________________

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,355
Rep Points: 19732
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Hey just trying to figure out your theories here because apparently none of our coaches have any business being in the profession because everything good that happens is purely due to the talent of the players but if it is negative then the talent things is thrown out the window and it is the coaching staffs fault.

Just trying to follow the reasoning here.
The good ones move up. They don't normally stay position coaches for a lifetime.

All I EVER said was Dillon, JB and Ickey, the three backs who were named as evidence of JA's coaching ability, did not need much coaching up. I don't believe those thrww prove anything about him as a coach. Some guys, you just wind them up and let them play. How is that so hard to understand?

The rest of it is you jumping to conclusions or wanting to pick a fight for whatever it is you're doing.
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
The Bengals have some of the longest tenured position coaches in the NFL. We've also got the longest playoff win drought. Connect the dots. Most of the guys under the Bengals employ aren't very good at what they do. Maybe they USED TO BE, but they aren't anymore.
So are coaches are WORSE now that we have gone to the playoffs three times in four years.

How can I argue with logic like that.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is online now
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,438
Rep Points: 51820
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
The good ones move up. They don't normally stay position coaches for a lifetime.

All I EVER said was Dillon, JB and Ickey, the three backs who were named as evidence of JA's coaching ability, did not need much coaching up. I don't believe those thrww prove anything about him as a coach. Some guys, you just wind them up and let them play. How is that so hard to understand?

The rest of it is you jumping to conclusions or wanting to pick a fight for whatever it is you're doing.
Okay then, lets fire Anderson and hire that coach who makes stars out of bad backs running behind bad offensive lines.

BTW who is that guy you want to replace Anderson? Because I don't klnow a single coach who fits that description. When I look at all the good rushing teams it seems to me that every single one of them either has a great line or a great RB.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,355
Rep Points: 19732
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Okay then, lets fire Anderson and hire that coach who makes stars out of bad backs running behind bad offensive lines.

BTW who is that guy you want to replace Anderson? Because I don't klnow a single coach who fits that description. When I look at all the good rushing teams it seems to me that every single one of them either has a great line or a great RB.
When did I say replace him? You putting words in my mouth too? Just name all the RB's who got better after they got here. That's better proof, imo.
__________________
www.musicsite.biz/leftyohio

singersongwriterrocknroll
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
So are coaches are WORSE now that we have gone to the playoffs three times in four years.

How can I argue with logic like that.

3 times in 4 years doesn't justify the MANY MANY years before that of nothing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.