Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9320

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
The Jim Anderson who coached Pro Bowlers Icky Woods, Corey Dillon, James Brooks, etc, etc? That Jim Anderson is a moron?

Ummmm....your post is an epic fail!
Anything relevant in this quote to the last decade?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154
Default Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Perhaps the reason that coaches are typically given negative criticism versus positive criticism is because they are adults in a professional establishment. In most professional establishments, you do not praise someone for doing his or her job successfully. You save the praise only for when they go above and beyond. And you provide negative criticism for when someone does his or her job poorly.

Professional coaches and players are not children, they are adults. They do not need to be awarded simply for doing their jobs at a satisfactory level. They should be praised only when their performance is outstanding. And disciplined/called out when their performance is unsatisfactory.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51820

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
Man Fred, all of these one years sure are proving your point of having a great RB and coach to go with him.
What about this year, According to you we had the 30th ranked RBs in the league and a weak O-line yet the Bengals finished 18th in both rushing yards and yards per carry?

Anderson took a RB who you kept telling us was incapable of making any big runs (BJGE) and turned him into a RB that finished tenth in the league in runs over 20 yards and sixth in the league in runs over 40 yards.

So according to you Anderson did the impossible, yet you still give him no credit? How can that be?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
Anything relevant in this quote to the last decade?
The "etc" part includes Rudi Johnson and Lorenzo Neal who both went to their first Pro Bowl while playing under Anderson.

You are welcome for the lesson.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
What about this year, According to you we had the 30th ranked RBs in the league and a weak O-line yet the Bengals finished 18th in both rushing yards and yards per carry?

Anderson took a RB who you kept telling us was incapable of making any big runs (BJGE) and turned him into a RB that finished tenth in the league in runs over 20 yards and sixth in the league in runs over 40 yards.

So according to you Anderson did the impossible, yet you still give him no credit? How can that be?
I was telling you he wasn't able to break runs or his stats and his career was telling you he couldn't break runs? Before he came here his long was 29 yards. That isn't me making up numbers, those are facts.

And the fact is he still has never broke one for over 50, nor did he score on many long runs because he was caught from behind.

And Anderson didn't do anything but play the guy that Mike Brown overpaid to be our feature back. Plain and simple. BJGE is still not good, won't be good and isn't a franchise back. And Anderson still hasn't developed a running back in decades. Your argument isn't even good Fred. Normally you bring something to the table but you are grasping for small straws on this one.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1441 View Post
I was telling you he wasn't able to break runs or his stats and his career was telling you he couldn't break runs? Before he came here his long was 29 yards. That isn't me making up numbers, those are facts.

And the fact is he still has never broke one for over 50, nor did he score on many long runs because he was caught from behind.

And Anderson didn't do anything but play the guy that Mike Brown overpaid to be our feature back. Plain and simple. BJGE is still not good, won't be good and isn't a franchise back. And Anderson still hasn't developed a running back in decades. Your argument isn't even good Fred. Normally you bring something to the table but you are grasping for small straws on this one.
Yeah, right, how could you possibly give a coach any credit for taking a player and having him do something that he has never done before in his career? Something that both his numbers and your "expert" opinion said he couldn't do.

And behind a serioisly flawed (by your own admission) O-line.

Silly me.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Rudi was an outstanding RB in college (SEC Payer of the Year, 10th in Heisman voting) and had a three year strech with the Bengals where he averaged over 1400 yds and 12 tds per year.

That is more than "average" no matter how you try to spin it.
He was AVERAGE at best, any RB who was running behind that line and had that many carries at that time would have put up those numbers or better, that's a no brainer.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
The "etc" part includes Rudi Johnson and Lorenzo Neal who both went to their first Pro Bowl while playing under Anderson.

You are welcome for the lesson.
Anderson had nothing to do with that, it was the O LINE that was outstanding. Hell I think Neal could have ran for 1,000 yds behind that line.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
He was AVERAGE at best, any RB who was running behind that line and had that many carries at that time would have put up those numbers or better, that's a no brainer.
No you are wrong.

he was the National Junior College Player of the year before he went to Auburn. That was not due to a great O-line.

He was the SEC PLayer of the Year at Auburn, and that was not due to a great O-line. In fact he kept Ronnie Brown on the bench.

He did play behind a fine O-line with the bengals, but he was also a very good RB.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19732

Quote:
No you are wrong.

he was the National Junior College Player of the year before he went to Auburn. That was not due to a great O-line.

He was the SEC PLayer of the Year at Auburn, and that was not due to a great O-line. In fact he kept Ronnie Brown on the bench.

He did play behind a fine O-line with the bengals, but he was also a very good RB.
So, what you're saying is he was already good when he got here, a lot like Brooks, Icky and CD.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
So, what you're saying is he was already good when he got here, a lot like Brooks, Icky and CD.
Yes he was good, but lots of good players fail in the NFL if they have poor coaches.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes he was good, but lots of good players fail in the NFL if they have poor coaches.
Point is when you stack up all the guys he's coached, the best ones were the ones who got here good already. Can those guys be used as examples of his relative skill as a position coach?

I also wonder about guys who never get opp's to move up the food chain. Most guys don't stay position coaches their whole career. Maybe that's all he ever wanted. Who knows?

We have a few of these. Not saying that means anything...

Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23613
bengals Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Point is when you stack up all the guys he's coached, the best ones were the ones who got here good already. Can those guys be used as examples of his relative skill as a position coach?

I also wonder about guys who never get opp's to move up the food chain. Most guys don't stay position coaches their whole career. Maybe that's all he ever wanted. Who knows?

We have a few of these. Not saying that means anything...
So then if you draft talented players then you do not need coaches right?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Did I say that, Cpt. Pick-a-fight?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Poi

I also wonder about guys who never get opp's to move up the food chain...
I think he interviewed for the head coaching job at Stanford a few years ago.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I think he interviewed for the head coaching job at Stanford a few years ago.
Anderson did? Was that before Harbaugh?

Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Anderson did? Was that before Harbaugh?
2001. A lot longer back than I thought.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23613
bengals Re: Jim Anderson is a complete moron

Quote:
Did I say that, Cpt. Pick-a-fight?
Hey just trying to figure out your theories here because apparently none of our coaches have any business being in the profession because everything good that happens is purely due to the talent of the players but if it is negative then the talent things is thrown out the window and it is the coaching staffs fault.

Just trying to follow the reasoning here.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
That's a classic strawman if I ever saw one.

What he's saying is guys like Corey Dillon, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, etc... don't need much coaching on how to be a running back. They already knew how to do that very well coming out of college. What made/makes them great are the physical and mental tools they possessed long before entering the NFL.

The Bengals have some of the longest tenured position coaches in the NFL. We've also got the longest playoff win drought. Connect the dots. Most of the guys under the Bengals employ aren't very good at what they do. Maybe they USED TO BE, but they aren't anymore.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 01-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9925

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
That's a classic strawman if I ever saw one.

What he's saying is guys like Corey Dillon, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, etc... don't need much coaching on how to be a running back. They already knew how to do that very well coming out of college. What made/makes them great are the physical and mental tools they possessed long before entering the NFL.

The Bengals have some of the longest tenured position coaches in the NFL. We've also got the longest playoff win drought. Connect the dots. Most of the guys under the Bengals employ aren't very good at what they do. Maybe they USED TO BE, but they aren't anymore.
You can't say this, they won a rushing title in 1989 when Jim Anderson was here. He is obviously one of the most sought after coaches in the NFL.

A wise man once told me, your love life will never get boring if you imagine an 18 year old, turn the lights off, and dont feel around with your hands!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey just trying to figure out your theories here because apparently none of our coaches have any business being in the profession because everything good that happens is purely due to the talent of the players but if it is negative then the talent things is thrown out the window and it is the coaching staffs fault.

Just trying to follow the reasoning here.
The good ones move up. They don't normally stay position coaches for a lifetime.

All I EVER said was Dillon, JB and Ickey, the three backs who were named as evidence of JA's coaching ability, did not need much coaching up. I don't believe those thrww prove anything about him as a coach. Some guys, you just wind them up and let them play. How is that so hard to understand?

The rest of it is you jumping to conclusions or wanting to pick a fight for whatever it is you're doing.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
So are coaches are WORSE now that we have gone to the playoffs three times in four years.

How can I argue with logic like that.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
The good ones move up. They don't normally stay position coaches for a lifetime.

All I EVER said was Dillon, JB and Ickey, the three backs who were named as evidence of JA's coaching ability, did not need much coaching up. I don't believe those thrww prove anything about him as a coach. Some guys, you just wind them up and let them play. How is that so hard to understand?

The rest of it is you jumping to conclusions or wanting to pick a fight for whatever it is you're doing.
Okay then, lets fire Anderson and hire that coach who makes stars out of bad backs running behind bad offensive lines.

BTW who is that guy you want to replace Anderson? Because I don't klnow a single coach who fits that description. When I look at all the good rushing teams it seems to me that every single one of them either has a great line or a great RB.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Okay then, lets fire Anderson and hire that coach who makes stars out of bad backs running behind bad offensive lines.

BTW who is that guy you want to replace Anderson? Because I don't klnow a single coach who fits that description. When I look at all the good rushing teams it seems to me that every single one of them either has a great line or a great RB.
When did I say replace him? You putting words in my mouth too? Just name all the RB's who got better after they got here. That's better proof, imo.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
So are coaches are WORSE now that we have gone to the playoffs three times in four years.

How can I argue with logic like that.

3 times in 4 years doesn't justify the MANY MANY years before that of nothing.