Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: Aaron Maybin: Secret Superstar

Mike Brown wanted to let everyone know he was still in charge after a 10 win season.

Just so we don't sign Jemarcus Russell.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
It's all good, he'll simply fill the niche roll that Donte Moch was supposed to provide.
Yes, what I was thinking.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Aaron Maybin tweets that he's now a Bengal

Cedric Benson was outstanding in 2008 and 2009. I think he led the NFL in rushing yards per game. He only played in 12 and a half games.

In 2010 and 2011 his play dropped off. Probably due to poor play from the o-line and the rest of the offense.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Cedric Benson was outstanding in 2008 and 2009. I think he led the NFL in rushing yards per game. He only played in 12 and a half games.

In 2010 and 2011 his play dropped off. Probably due to poor play from the o-line and the rest of the offense.
I been around here a long time and one of the craziest things I've seen is how much folks didn't appreciate Ced's production.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6883
bengals Re: Aaron Maybin tweets that he's now a Bengal

Quote:

Cedric Benson was 20th in yards per game in 2008 (21st in carries), and 2nd in 2009 (6th in carries), 17th in 2010 (5th in carries), and 17th in 2011 (7th in carries)..... 2009 was his only good season, and his only season over 4ypc. 1 good season and 3 not so good ones.

21th, 2nd, 17th, 17th = Average placing of 14th in yards per game.... which is right around the middle of the 32 team pack. Meaning? Oh yeah, average at best. The only thing Benson was truly good at was carrying the ball 25-30 times a game for 3.5ypc without breaking, oh and fumbling.

1,000 yards isn't a big deal anymore.. in 2009-2011 when he had that big streak, there were 15, 17, and 15 people who rushed for 1,000+ yards. That's half of the league having a 1,000 yard rusher.... I will take it a step further... out of the 47 1,000 yard rushing seasons in that 3 year stretch, there were only 4 that were below 4.0ypc... Cedric Benson had TWO of them.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.

Last edited by TheLeonardLeap; 01-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8675

Im ok with this signing. I mean after all were not officially into the offseason and were already making moves. Small ones, but were still making moves.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
I will take it a step further... out of the 47 1,000 yard rushing seasons in that 3 year stretch.
How many of those 47 did it for all 3 years?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Down View Post
Now all we need is Aaron Curry for our land of misfit toys.
We like to get 'em when they know their next stop is a van down by the river......Especially when it's the Ohio river, it motivates like no other.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
We like to get 'em when they know their next stop is a van down by the river......Especially when it's the Ohio river, it motivates like no other.
Can see Jamarcus Russel in the stripes.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36785

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Can see Jamarcus Russel in the stripes.
Major Harris 2.0...the overhyped LSU version.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8675

How did we get from Aaron Maybin to Cedric Benson and Wes Welker? You people ****... stick to the damn thread topic.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Cedric Benson was 20th in yards per game in 2008 (21st in carries), and 2nd in 2009 (6th in carries), 17th in 2010 (5th in carries), and 17th in 2011 (7th in carries)..... 2009 was his only good season, and his only season over 4ypc. 1 good season and 3 not so good ones.

21th, 2nd, 17th, 17th = Average placing of 14th in yards per game.... which is right around the middle of the 32 team pack. Meaning? Oh yeah, average at best. The only thing Benson was truly good at was carrying the ball 25-30 times a game for 3.5ypc without breaking, oh and fumbling.

1,000 yards isn't a big deal anymore.. in 2009-2011 when he had that big streak, there were 15, 17, and 15 people who rushed for 1,000+ yards. That's half of the league having a 1,000 yard rusher.... I will take it a step further... out of the 47 1,000 yard rushing seasons in that 3 year stretch, there were only 4 that were below 4.0ypc... Cedric Benson had TWO of them.
Sorry, but Benson was very good in 2008. I think you're spending too much time looking at a stat sheet. He wasn't with the team to start the season. Took him some time to learn he offense and he was worked in gradually. He became the full-time starter and carried the offense down the stretch. The reason the bengals re-signed him is because of how impressive he was.

So spare me the crap about yards per game. I don't look at a sheet of paper to evaluate a player. That sort of thinking is for idiots who play fantasy football. Anyone who watched him play in 2008 knows how good he was and what a huge difference he made.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7695

Quote:
Sorry, but Benson was very good in 2008. I think you're spending too much time looking at a stat sheet. He wasn't with the team to start the season. Took him some time to learn he offense and he was worked in gradually. He became the full-time starter and carried the offense down the stretch. The reason the bengals re-signed him is because of how impressive he was.

So spare me the crap about yards per game. I don't look at a sheet of pale to evaluate a player. That sort of thinking is for idiots who play fantasy football. Anyone who watched him play in 2008 knows how good he was and what a huge difference he made.
Welcome back Joe Pong.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5424

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Yep, those folks are we todd did
Hehehehehe
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
He had a great game that day. Too bad we didn't see that very often.

Also, what about his other playoff game against the Texans? 14 yards on 7 carries with a fumble...and he moped.

Every single RB you listed was/is better than Benson. Although Sproles is a different type of back.

I never said he was terrible. I said he was mediocre at best. 3.77 ypc attests to that.

Benson stayed healthy. That's all he's got on those guys.

Apples and oranges. A WR has to get open to get catches and yards. That's a skill. Taking a handoff is not.

A RB can average 3.5 per carry (continually setting his team up for 3rd and long), and still get 1000 yards as long as he gets 270+ carries.

You're smart enough to know why Benson was mediocre, but that was your dude. I get it.

I think Jeff Blake was better than most people do. Same with Deltha O'neal.
If a back on first and second down goes for 3.5 yards then would that not be 7 yards? Not sure I consider 3 yards third and long.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 310

I only like this if he plays DE, never was anything as a LB, on another note all we need is puzlusny and we can have a two former PSU defenders on out team that didnt work out
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 932

I made a bad statement yesterday and just wanted to acknowledge my statement. I probably got tore up on here for it, but I never check peoples responses. I had maybin confusedl, thought he played DE mostly. Sorry board.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3726

Aaron Maybin has had a hard time transitioning from DE to OLB in the NFL. It doesnt help that he's only been on 4-3 teams since coming into the NFL. Most DE's find its easier to transition to a 3-4 OLB than a SAM.

Can anyone really say how much real playing time he's had? I know he played mostly special teams for Buffalo as they tried to teach him how to play Linebacker. Don't really know how much the Jets used him. Doesnt look like more much than a pass rusher out of the nickle though and special teams.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 41165

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post
Sweet. Guy was a player a year or two ago.

Must be healthy or Zim wouldn't have brought him in. Just helps the pass rush.
Here is my question, not only just to you, but in general. How much time will Zimmer get to see how good Maybe can be in our system before the draft?

How much special teams has he played? He sure is a big name who hasn't done a single thing and I'm sure the Bengals signed him because they liked him coming out of college too.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6883

Quote:

Quote:

So spare me the crap about yards per game. I don't look at a sheet of paper to evaluate a player. That sort of thinking is for idiots who play fantasy football. Anyone who watched him play in 2008 knows how good he was and what a huge difference he made.
Wait, so you specifically bring up yards per game in 2008 and 2009 as why Benson was good... and then when I bring up yards per game to prove otherwise, suddenly it's "crap" and "for idiots who play fantasy football"? YOU were the one who brought yards per game up. So now that I proved that wrong, now we're at insult/eye test stage of argument?

Now I know why so many people have you on ignore on this forum.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19004

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
Here is my question, not only just to you, but in general. How much time will Zimmer get to see how good Maybe can be in our system before the draft?

How much special teams has he played? He sure is a big name who hasn't done a single thing and I'm sure the Bengals signed him because they liked him coming out of college too.
Probably won't get much time before the draft, which is why you probably don't count on him as a solution. I don't think it'll take Zim long in TC. It didn't take long with Harvey last year.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50799

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbuck11 View Post
I only like this if he plays DE, never was anything as a LB, on another note all we need is puzlusny and we can have a two former PSU defenders on out team that didnt work out
Psluszny has played very well
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2604

Quote:

Yeah your right it's a fad like the internet, cell phones, and those crazy automobiles!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19004

So, this is what Hobson says--

"Maybin, the 11th pick in the 2009 draft, brings two major elements that Lewis and Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer can use to revive his career. A 6-4, 240-pounder who is a native of Baltimore, Maybin arrives with his rep as a great motor player who never gives up on a snap and has breathtaking speed on the pass rush from the edge."

So, I'm a bit confused. I've seen people in this thread call him slow. Is he slow or does he have "breathtaking speed?"

Hobson goes on to say he'll really just be rushing the passer.

If he's just a situational guy, then we still need another SAM.

I guess this is the latest step in Marvin's never ending search for Boulware, part deux.

With as young as he is, if they can turn him around, maybe you got something.

Is he fast or isn't he?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21840

Very happy with the siging as it shows the Bengals are looking to improve the pass rush.

Hopefully this isn't their big FA signing of the season...