Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668
Default Re: lets figure out out LB positions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
He is a 20 year old kid who has never been in any legal trouble. What happened to him happens to lots of other people, even current NFL players.

He is not a headcase and his sexual preference has nothing to do with his ability to play football.
My concern with him is he did bad in the 2 games I saw of him.

This might fire him up though to produce.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Hint that there moving Burfict to MLB

It says IF they keep only those under contract. Its a scenario.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19143

If it happens, it wouldn't come as much of a surprise. Is it just Hobson speculating is my question.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
My concern with him is he did bad in the 2 games I saw of him.

This might fire him up though to produce.
Seemed to me his draft stock seemed to drop as the year went on, which I take to not be a very good sign.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Seemed to me his draft stock seemed to drop as the year went on, which I take to not be a very good sign.
Nope. He reminds me of Maualuga.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

He will be the only player under contract capable of aging MLB so I don't really see anything surprising here. Just Hobson using common sense.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51206

Quote:
Nope. He reminds me of Maualuga.
He is pretty much the opposite of Maualuga.

Teo is as clean cut as they come.

One of his biggest assets is his cover skills.

He was the best player on his team instead of a guy playing in the middle of better players.

i don't know how he could remiond anyone of Maualuga unless they just look at skin color.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73324

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
Off topic a bit, but does anyone think it's great we are finding value with undrafted guys and hitting on the drafted guys as well?

Lamur, Hawkins, Burfict, Robinson....

It's pretty damn impressive. Some say we just got lucky but over a 2.5 year span you just don't luck into this.

Coincidental after this latest Marvin extension we have been hitting on the draft picks and free agent signings...He wanted to buy the groceries to make the dinner....
Don't forget Rey, Pressley, Miles, and Skuta with their contributions

Edit - I would add that unless Burfict severely struggles, he is going to be the MIKE going forward. Otherwise, he'll be moving to SAM considering no one else is as much of a fit on the team than him (Assuming Lawson gone)

Last edited by eoxyod; 01-26-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

He was the best player on his team instead of a guy playing in the middle of better players.

i don't know how he could remiond anyone of Maualuga unless they just look at skin color.
Exactly. Not saying I like Ta'o as an NFL prospect, but he is nothing like Maualuga. In fact, they're pretty much the exact opposite.

Maualuga lacks instincts and is poor in coverage. Ta'o has good instincts and his strength is his coverage ability.

The biggest problem with Ta'o that I see is he isnt a real explosive athlete or a real downhill player as a LB. But he will be a good run and chase player who will make players all over he field, maybe just not be as strong coming up and filling the hole to stone RBs at the point of attack. Maualuga's strength should be that he is a physical downhill player but he seems to have lost his aggressiveness and plays too tentative.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1316

This is a highly fluid situation. I do believe that Burfict will be the starting MLB in 2013. After that, its all speculation. If Howard comes back from injury, he'll be hard to supplant at WLB. Thomas was playing well, and was probably the best LB on the team. It will be interesting to see how Brandon Joiner progresses, and I think the Bengals have another potential diamond in him. SLB is a total crap-shoot at this point. Maybe Lamur, maybe a draftee, but definitely not Lawson.

Then there's guys like Maybin and Moch, who seem to be more situational pass rush guys. Either may surprise us, but both have a history of underperforming for various reasons. The Bengals need at least one of them to step up in 2013.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26480
bengals Re: lets figure out out LB positions....

This is how i see it playing out...............

SAM - Draft pick, Moch and Maybin will battle for the backup spot. Lawson is gone.
MIKE - Burfict with Skuta backing him up. Maualuga is gone.
WILL - Howard with Lamur backing him up.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

bengals Re: Hint that there moving Burfict to MLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
Off topic a bit, but does anyone think it's great we are finding value with undrafted guys and hitting on the drafted guys as well?

Lamur, Hawkins, Burfict, Robinson....

It's pretty damn impressive. Some say we just got lucky but over a 2.5 year span you just don't luck into this.

Coincidental after this latest Marvin extension we have been hitting on the draft picks and free agent signings...He wanted to buy the groceries to make the dinner....

That is really impressive, have to give the coaches and FO props with how well these guys have played so early in their careers and all going undrafted to boot.

To the OP, does not surprise me. Burfict should be the MIKE this year. Dude deserves it IMHO.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Exactly. Not saying I like Ta'o as an NFL prospect, but he is nothing like Maualuga. In fact, they're pretty much the exact opposite.

Maualuga lacks instincts and is poor in coverage. Ta'o has good instincts and his strength is his coverage ability.

The biggest problem with Ta'o that I see is he isnt a real explosive athlete or a real downhill player as a LB. But he will be a good run and chase player who will make players all over he field, maybe just not be as strong coming up and filling the hole to stone RBs at the point of attack. Maualuga's strength should be that he is a physical downhill player but he seems to have lost his aggressiveness and plays too tentative.
Wasn't his status as a prospect taking a hit even before the NC game and that goofy scandal?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4895

We need to upgrade the LB position during the Draft this season. I hope we draft two guy early in the draft that can cover and can play in space.
Sam- Taz
Middle- Ogletree
WLB- Howard, Draft pick
Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

bengals Re: lets figure out out LB positions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
We need to upgrade the LB position during the Draft this season. I hope we draft two guy early in the draft that can cover and can play in space.
Sam- Taz
Middle- Ogletree
WLB- Howard, Draft pick

I thought Ogletree was more of an OLB going to the next level.

He is definately who i want in the first though no question.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3496

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Jones issues were off the field. He was a good CB with the Titans. Newman was a Pro Bowl CB. Burficts issues were off the field too and he had no NFL history.

Maybin has done nothing for 4 years.

We get busts instead of actual free agent upgrades. Yeah sometimes they pan out..but not signing upgrades in free agents is why we haven't won a playoff game in 23 years.
Tory James was a pretty big free agent when they signed him, but he cost a great deal of money and aged quickly. Deltha O'Neal was a trade for a third round pick that Denver had "given up on" and he was the best corner the Bengals had in ages. It was better to go with the project and build that way, both on the field and financially.

You state that their inactivity in the pursuit of upgrades in free agency as to why they have not won a playoff game in 23 years.

Here's my take: they were two TDs from being the team of the 80s. The 90s were awful due to the enormous failings of draft picks Carter, Akili, Reinard Wilson, Klinger, among others. With no rookie wage scale, these failings used to absolutely bury franchises. No longer.

The Bengals have draft as well as any team over the past four years and I would argue among the absolute best. Bill Polian was quoted as saying the last franchise that hit on so many pick on three consecutive drafts were those Buffalo teams that went to four consecutive Super Bowls.

Despite the quitter taking a crap on this organization, the Bengals went to the playoffs in consecutive years despite being the youngest starting roster in the NFL.

This team is resilient, talented, and on the rise. If it makes you happy to whine around not blowing money on free agents rather than look at all the good being accomplished, that is our prerogative. And, for what it is worth, I would love to see them land a stud S like Byrd or Goldson.

You mention Burfict as having no previous experience and Maybin has done nothing in four years. Burfict was given an opportunity to play with a very talented line and secondary. He was also coached up by Zimmer. Maybin was plugged in to play 3-4 rush end for both the Bills and Jets. I would argue that a six sack season a season ago for the Jets with four forced fumbles as a situational pass rusher is not "nothing", but my argument is maybe this is a better fit for him. He's only 24, and came out as a red shirt sophomore. So he wasn't great for the bills or jets....fine. That doesn't mean he may not improve under Zimmer and provide some excellent outside speed to rush the passer on situational downs.

I think the move was a smart one and can only generate positives. If he doesn't perform, he will be released and cost the team very little money. But if he can contribute as a pass rusher (something our current crop of LBs struggles with) then the team improves.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

I thought Ogletree was more of an OLB going to the next level.

He is definately who i want in the first though no question.
Yes. I don't see Ogletree as a middle linebacker in the NFL. I think he is definitely a weakside LB. And I don't see Burfict playing SAM. He will either move to the middle or stay where he is.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3496

Quote:

Exactly. I can't believe what I'm hearing about this guy. Could have been a first round pick a year ago, but returns to ND to finish what he started. A leader, a great ball hawk, and great instincts. So he struggled with Bama guards that were pnt even touched off the line of scrimmage? Almost every starting NFL MLB would also struggle one on one with those guys that will be playing in the NFL. Te'o is going to be a great NFL linebacker and I would be thrilled to have him in stripes.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2746

Burfict worked his *** off this past season. He should get a chance to move to MIKE if possible.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29016

I honestly think there's a very good chance we'll take Te'o in the draft. We'll likely have a shot to take him, and I can't see Marvin passing. Talk of moving Burfict to MLB could be a smoke screen.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
Tory James was a pretty big free agent when they signed him, but he cost a great deal of money and aged quickly. Deltha O'Neal was a trade for a third round pick that Denver had "given up on" and he was the best corner the Bengals had in ages. It was better to go with the project and build that way, both on the field and financially.

You state that their inactivity in the pursuit of upgrades in free agency as to why they have not won a playoff game in 23 years.

Here's my take: they were two TDs from being the team of the 80s. The 90s were awful due to the enormous failings of draft picks Carter, Akili, Reinard Wilson, Klinger, among others. With no rookie wage scale, these failings used to absolutely bury franchises. No longer.

The Bengals have draft as well as any team over the past four years and I would argue among the absolute best. Bill Polian was quoted as saying the last franchise that hit on so many pick on three consecutive drafts were those Buffalo teams that went to four consecutive Super Bowls.

Despite the quitter taking a crap on this organization, the Bengals went to the playoffs in consecutive years despite being the youngest starting roster in the NFL.

This team is resilient, talented, and on the rise. If it makes you happy to whine around not blowing money on free agents rather than look at all the good being accomplished, that is our prerogative. And, for what it is worth, I would love to see them land a stud S like Byrd or Goldson.

You mention Burfict as having no previous experience and Maybin has done nothing in four years. Burfict was given an opportunity to play with a very talented line and secondary. He was also coached up by Zimmer. Maybin was plugged in to play 3-4 rush end for both the Bills and Jets. I would argue that a six sack season a season ago for the Jets with four forced fumbles as a situational pass rusher is not "nothing", but my argument is maybe this is a better fit for him. He's only 24, and came out as a red shirt sophomore. So he wasn't great for the bills or jets....fine. That doesn't mean he may not improve under Zimmer and provide some excellent outside speed to rush the passer on situational downs.

I think the move was a smart one and can only generate positives. If he doesn't perform, he will be released and cost the team very little money. But if he can contribute as a pass rusher (something our current crop of LBs struggles with) then the team improves.

If they rely on Maybin and he fails...and they don't have a reliable starter...it's bad.

I don't ask for Mario Williams type guys...I want a Curtis Loft on who would have been an infinite upgraded over Rey. Instead we get 1st Round playoff exits and a lot of banked cap space. How about a #2 WR? Well we got Binns and Tate.

Now we get May in and we'll likely get more 1st Round busts like Harvey and Anderson.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I honestly think there's a very good chance we'll take Te'o in the draft. We'll likely have a shot to take him, and I can't see Marvin passing. Talk of moving Burfict to MLB could be a smoke screen.
I agree with this. If he's projected to go higher and falls.. we'd be the team to take him.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44729

All of this is no suprise to me, at all. It was painfully obvious for the past two seasons that Rey wasn't the answer at MLB, the Bengals have been wanting an athletic freak to play SAM for a while (anyone remember the Michael Johnson experiment??). This takes care of two things (tentatively, of course) by moving Burfict to the position that he's played most of his life, and also answers the question of what to do about SAM.

Everyone knew that Manny Lawson was just a stop gap, from the moment he got here. Never did anything spectacular, just filled the spot, sometimes adequately, sometimes not so much. Evidently, Marvin and Mike Z. must have thought that Mabin was being used in the wrong way with his previous teams. I tend to trust Zimmer's judgement in these cases, as he has a pretty good track record of finding good players that were mis-cast with their previous teams, and getting maximum value out of the transaction, not to mention tremendous loyalty from thankful players for revitalizing their careers.

I have no reason to believe that Burfict to Mike and Mabin to Sam won't be another shining example of Zimmer's brilliance.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 377

Hopefuly THEY'RE moving Burfict to middle and Rey is gone...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilok View Post
Hopefuly THEY'RE moving Burfict to middle and Rey is gone...

Nice catch, you've been promoted!!