Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11407
Default BR Mock 1.0

The first of my mock drafts of this year. Here we go!

Round 1:
Khasheem Greene, OLB, Rutgers

Now I know that at the moment you're probably going, "But we can get him with the pick from Oakland!" That may very well be the case, however,
I fully expect Green to jump into the first round by the time April hits, and it would not surprise me at all if Cincy grabbed him.
The Bengals would finally have a backer capable of - gasp - covering a TE. Is that even possible? Well it is with this selection.

Round 2 (via Oakland):
Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International

Us Bengals fans have been begging for a play-making safety for years. Well, here he is. This guy does it all. He can cover, he can hit, and he can tackle.
He flew under the radar, but proved to scouts this week at the Senior Bowl that he deserves to be mentioned among the Matt Elam's and Vaccarro's.
Plug Cyprien next to Nelson, and I promise good things will happen. The guy is a playmaker.

Round 2:
Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

I have been a Sanu fan before the Bengals even drafted him, and I love what he was able to do in the 3-4 game stretch he finally got involved.
However, I believe he belongs in the slot, and that he would thrive in that role. The Bengals have lacked a true deep threat opposite of AJ Green for the entirety that he has been here.
Personally, I think it is time that changed. Hunter is a big bodied wide out at 6'4 200. He would give Andy another tall guy to throw the ball to.
Adding Hunter could help relieve some of the pressure on AJ, help Sanu thrive in the slot, and give Andy another target to throw to.

Round 3:
Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA

I may be in the minority here, but I am a fan of Franklin. He displayed excellent patience this season, improved ball security, and showed burst.
He ripped the #1 run defense in the country (Stanford) for 194 yards. If that doesn't impress you, I'm not sure that anything will.
He displays decent hands out of the backfield, and gives effort in pass blocking. I believe a combo of BJGE and Franklin would open up things offensively for the Bengals.

Round 4:
Sio Moore, OLB, UCONN

Another LB? Yes, another LB. This guy dominated the East-West Shrine Game, earning an invitation to the Senior Bowl, and impressed there as well.
This is a guy that Zimmer can turn into an absolute beast. Howard is recovering from the ACL, so adding Moore could allow Howard to take time to get back.
Moore would add to the pass rush, and would just help add to an already sound defense.

Round 5:
B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary

Webb showed at the Senior Bowl this week that he has what it takes to compete in the NFL. He impressed scouts and teams all week with his ability to cover and make plays.
In this NFL, you can never have enough corners, and the Bengals add one with plenty of upside here.

Round 6:
Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

So after the Senior Bowl, I'm not sure he will still be here, however, if he is, the Bengals should snatch him up.
The guy is an outstanding blocker, and has shown he has soft hands. While he definitely will not be blowing by any defenders, he is a sound TE that would add a capable blocker and receiver at the TE spot.

Well, let me know what you think!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: BR Mock 1.0

Overall it's not half bad.

It's nice to see some new names on these mocks.

I'd take it if your assessments are correct.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5112

Not big on Greene, but the rest makes sense.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Not big on Greene, but the rest makes sense.
Care to explain? Just curious as to why you aren't a fan of Greene.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39892

Nice mock, I like the way you add your logic for each pick.

Btw, don't the Bengals get a second 6th round pick??

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Nice mock, I like the way you add your logic for each pick.

Btw, don't the Bengals get a second 6th round pick??
As a matter of fact I believe they do, that completely slipped my mind.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalrocker View Post
Care to explain? Just curious as to why you aren't a fan of Greene.
Greene is alright, I just don't see him as a first round prospect myself. I know a lot of people are high on him, but I actually like Arthur Brown more than Greene. Both are very similar players. Greene seems to lack the ferocity on the field that Brown has. Neither are big, physical guys, but I'd like to Greene his gap with a little more power.

Right now, I think Greene is a mid-to-late second rounder. If it were Ogletree at 21, this draft would be almost perfect for our needs.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2207

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Greene is alright, I just don't see him as a first round prospect myself. I know a lot of people are high on him, but I actually like Arthur Brown more than Greene. Both are very similar players. Greene seems to lack the ferocity on the field that Brown has. Neither are big, physical guys, but I'd like to Greene his gap with a little more power.

Right now, I think Greene is a mid-to-late second rounder. If it were Ogletree at 21, this draft would be almost perfect for our needs.
I agree with you on this one. I like Brown a little more but both are going to be good players. I wouldn't worry about reaching for either one of these guys in the 1st round though because at least one of them should be available in the 2nd. Some other good OLB prospects for later rounds that are really talented also include Sean Porter, Jamie Collins, and Sio Moore. A lot of options to help fill our LB needs.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 106

Greene showed at the Senior Bowl he has legitimate issues getting to the QB and because of this fact, there is no way he jumps up to the 1st round.

I don't like the Hunter pick just because questions have been raised concerning his effort every play. Questions have also been raised about his durability, "alligator arms" when sensing contact is imminent, and his consistent ability to catch the ball away from his body.

At 6'4" and 200lbs, the size is there and he "looks" the part of a legit WR at the NFL level, but the majority of his 2012 production came against mediocre competition. He only caught 2 TD's during the entire SEC schedule.

If you swapped out Greene in the 1st for another LB, I would give this mock an A. But as it stands now, I think Greene is a HUGE reach in the 1st and would have to rank this mock as a B-.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethedraft View Post
Greene showed at the Senior Bowl he has legitimate issues getting to the QB and because of this fact, there is no way he jumps up to the 1st round.

I don't like the Hunter pick just because questions have been raised concerning his effort every play. Questions have also been raised about his durability, "alligator arms" when sensing contact is imminent, and his consistent ability to catch the ball away from his body.

At 6'4" and 200lbs, the size is there and he "looks" the part of a legit WR at the NFL level, but the majority of his 2012 production came against mediocre competition. He only caught 2 TD's during the entire SEC schedule.

If you swapped out Greene in the 1st for another LB, I would give this mock an A. But as it stands now, I think Greene is a HUGE reach in the 1st and would have to rank this mock as a B-.
Greene wouldn't really be rushing the passer, would he? Wouldn't he be better suited to covering?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 59

Don't think he would we have two linebackers on the roster that can do the in moch and maybin we need a backer that can cover tight ends and backs