Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: What should the Bengals do about the center position?
There is no issue at center, Cook is the man. 7 4.67%
Robinson should start, and Cokk should be the back up. 33 22.00%
Let Cook and Robinson battle it out in camp, and the winner starts. 70 46.67%
Draft a new center, a better player is needed. Include who you want drafted. 37 24.67%
Sign a new center in FA. Include who. you want them to sign. 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23246
Default Re: At center, the Bengals should

Robinson showed as much promise as any draft pick might. I'd roll the dice with him, allowing us to draft more skill position players at RB, WR, LB, & S.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45691

Wow, this is a toughie. During the season, emotion gets the best of me, and I was calling for Cook to be cut.

But, perhaps rushing him back into service from injury was just the wrong thing to do.

Who knows, maybe after a full season of recovery, he'll be even better than before the injury? (though I doubt it)

Robinson showed some things in his starts that we don't get with Cook, downfield blocking and agility. He's still young, has room to grow on his frame. Science shows that men's bodies adapt the job that they are performing. I seriously think that Robinson could be the C of the Bengals for 10 years (health permitting).

But, the lineman in me says to draft another C, and let them all fight it out in camp.

The Bengals need for the OL to dictate the trench, rather than adjusting to what any given defense is doing. Who know"s? Maybe Robinson is the guy, he showed a lot of both physical ability and football IQ in his brief stint as the starter. But, I would still like to see another C drafted to bring pure competition for the spot to camp.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Wow, this is a toughie. During the season, emotion gets the best of me, and I was calling for Cook to be cut.

But, perhaps rushing him back into service from injury was just the wrong thing to do.

Who knows, maybe after a full season of recovery, he'll be even better than before the injury? (though I doubt it)

Robinson showed some things in his starts that we don't get with Cook, downfield blocking and agility. He's still young, has room to grow on his frame. Science shows that men's bodies adapt the job that they are performing. I seriously think that Robinson could be the C of the Bengals for 10 years (health permitting).

But, the lineman in me says to draft another C, and let them all fight it out in camp.

The Bengals need for the OL to dictate the trench, rather than adjusting to what any given defense is doing. Who know"s? Maybe Robinson is the guy, he showed a lot of both physical ability and football IQ in his brief stint as the starter. But, I would still like to see another C drafted to bring pure competition for the spot to camp.
Who's your guy, Sunset? Which of the centers do think is most worthy of a pick for us?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

i voted for robinson as i dont know who cokk is?

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3294

Let Zach and healthy Cook fight for it and draft a promising C, or maybe just a lineman who they think can play C with time. I know our C play was inconsistent last year but im not worried about it because Cook was coming in cold, and he may have still been feeling the foot injury....Even tho I do hate things he did mentally.

And you never know, Zach could show back up next year, take the job from Cook's hands and start...win win. We dont have to put ANY FA dollars into this position

Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Who's your guy, Sunset? Which of the centers do think is most worthy of a pick for us?

Early pick? Travis Frederick, the big, strong ox can be taught to move his feet.

Later pick? Braxton Cave, ND has a habit of turning out good, smart OLmen.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11815

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
In 1981, The Fans...the wonderful fans wanted our injured QB to be benched after the 1st game and for us to play The Turk all season....Turk Schonert...Thats what the fans wanted.....The fans even booed the injured QB as he left the field in the 1st game....all week long on WLW the fans called in for playing The Turk.

...but that injured QB came back and Coach Gregg played him and not fan favorite, The Turk......

Coach Gregg was right and the fans were completely wrong.....Ken Anderson was MVP that year and took Bengals to the Super Bowl.

So I've long since stopped putting alot of weight into who the fan favorites are. It's always the newest flavor of ice cream. I remember Ocho kicked a 3 yard extra point once and suddenly the fans wanted him trying from 50 yards out all the time..... Fans.

Until Cook got injured, I don't remember much talk about getting rid of him by the fans. The experience Robinson got though may pay off....let them compete for the starting spot.
Jack Thompson the 1st round draft choice was #2 on depth chart then and not Turk Schonert. My very first NFL game was that season against the 49ers where Kenny was hurt. No Boos for Kenny, but many boos for Jack Thompson replacing him in lieu of Schonert after injury to Kenny.

Was not at first game. So you may be right. But never recall Kenny being booed. Could be wrong though. Would not be the first time and was only 18 then.

But Kenny was beloved amongst my Bengals friends and always will be.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Early pick? Travis Frederick, the big, strong ox can be taught to move his feet.

Frederick is known for his intelligence as well and already has developed chemistry with Zeitler somewhat.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Frederick is known for his intelligence as well and already has developed chemistry with Zeitler somewhat.

I like Frederick, a lot. The "knock" on him is that he is more of an anchor than an agile space blocker. While the former benefits the Bengals tremensously in divisional play, the latter could leave a ton of yard on the field in games against 4-3 defenses.

Personally, I feel that his immobility issues have more to do with Wisconsin not asking him to get out on LBs, as he only played one season at C.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
In 1981, The Fans...the wonderful fans wanted our injured QB to be benched after the 1st game and for us to play The Turk all season....Turk Schonert...Thats what the fans wanted.....The fans even booed the injured QB as he left the field in the 1st game....all week long on WLW the fans called in for playing The Turk.

...but that injured QB came back and Coach Gregg played him and not fan favorite, The Turk......

Coach Gregg was right and the fans were completely wrong.....Ken Anderson was MVP that year and took Bengals to the Super Bowl.

So I've long since stopped putting alot of weight into who the fan favorites are. It's always the newest flavor of ice cream. I remember Ocho kicked a 3 yard extra point once and suddenly the fans wanted him trying from 50 yards out all the time..... Fans.

Until Cook got injured, I don't remember much talk about getting rid of him by the fans. The experience Robinson got though may pay off....let them compete for the starting spot.
Surely you're not comparing our Center situation to this?

Also in the year where the 49ers are going to the superbowl with a QB who replaced the starting QB who was playing at decent level pre-injury...

You need to go with what works in your situation.

I agree fans can be fickle and sometimes premature about replacing someone.

Cook was average at best pre-injury. If anything some real competition from Robinson and FA/drafted player could raise his motivation to get better.

Wouldn't it be great to have an O-line that's as competetive as our D-line?

You can see those guys are cohesive and enjoy playing together.

They want to outdo each other.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

Yep, Robinson should be the starter with Cook backing him up.

Played great for a rookie last season and should only get better.

It was when we brought Cook back that we struggled Offensively and that is no coincidence.

Robinson needs to bulk up a bit in the offseason and he should be our future at Center. Guy could be great.
I agree, our talent evaluations tend to come to a halt when it involves not playing either incumbent or high priced players.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 30834

We need some veterans on the line. Drafting to fill the O-line is a poor idea because we just continue to build and build. Andy needs more time in the pocket, and in the AFC north you can't gamble with guys. True, Faine was a veteran, but I think we just snatched him up because we needed bodies this year. True, I dont think there is a good center on the market this year, but I still think if one comes available we need one.

In a related note, I think Andre Smith will be trying to get away this year. His contract is up, and I think he played like a beast this year so he could look sexy for all the other teams looking for an O-lineman this year. I think Andre is a ******. We brought him in as a first rounder and he gave us a 4th round effort until this past year. Yeah, I know he was "hurt".
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23652
bengals Re: At center, the Bengals should

Draft Travis Frederick and have him get back down to about 328 where he was playing at before this season and let the 3 headed monster battle it out.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I like Frederick, a lot. The "knock" on him is that he is more of an anchor than an agile space blocker. While the former benefits the Bengals tremensously in divisional play, the latter could leave a ton of yard on the field in games against 4-3 defenses.

Personally, I feel that his immobility issues have more to do with Wisconsin not asking him to get out on LBs, as he only played one season at C.

Was not disagreeing with you at all. Just pointing out that that Cave was not the only intelligent one.

But speaking of Cave. Having two ND former teammates competing for the same spot. Would be interesting.

Like Louisville's Benavides in later rounds as well. But of course that may be the homer in me. But before Charlie Strong arrived Mario was the teams best player as a freshman and was born to play the Center position.

Just not sure he has enough weight to play at high level in NFL. Hope he proves me wrong though. If he could just borrow 20 lbs from Frederick ? Both would be better off imo.

Last edited by Go Cards; 01-27-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5452

Quote:

Like Travis Robinson, for instance.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
Like Travis Robinson, for instance.

Great example
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23652

Quote:

That knock on him started when he got up to a playing weight of around 338. He is a good athlete at his position but was a better athlete when he was playing down around 328. I would take him no doubt but I would prefer he get back down in weight.

As far as being an anchor. I think the Bengals need to establish what they want to be. Do they want to powef block or finesse block. It just seems they are caught in the middle right now. If I remember correctly Gruden said when he arrived that he wanted the WC scheme based off of a power running game.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8790

Cook just get back too early.

You can't get the rythm back at mid season.
“How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, ****, ****, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? ”

Charles Bukowski.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18390

I wasn't sure about Cook the season before last, now I'm pretty sure he's not the answer ! Draft Jones or Frederick and let Robinson and whomever battle it out.

We can't have the pocket getting shoved back in Andy's face on every pass play.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
That knock on him started when he got up to a playing weight of around 338. He is a good athlete at his position but was a better athlete when he was playing down around 328. I would take him no doubt but I would prefer he get back down in weight.

As far as being an anchor. I think the Bengals need to establish what they want to be. Do they want to powef block or finesse block. It just seems they are caught in the middle right now. If I remember correctly Gruden said when he arrived that he wanted the WC scheme based off of a power running game.

History shows us that the Bengals prefer the larger, space eating, "phone booth" type of OLmen, as opposed to the leaner, more agile, technician type of blockers best exemplified by the lines and style of the 49ers and Broncos in the '90s.

With that in mind, I feel like Frederick would be the ideal fit for the Bengals. (less about 10-15 lbs, of course) But, I also like what I saw from Trevor Robinson this season, and his frame most definitely has room for him to grow a bit. Having both on the roster would be terrific, as they both can play G, as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Cook was a serviceable center the the year before too. He struggled against good defenses and got man-handled that year ALOT.In order for our team to grow, i feel we need to change some of the coaches as well. If they start the season with cook,its a mistake. He should be a BACKUP at best.But what do we know. All we do is watch mistakes after mistakes and until they at least try other players in key positions, we will not get better.Needs are draft a center, the best one out there,get a safety,a wide receiver, a good backup O-line and D-line passrusher, and the best running back available. I like Mike Gillisbee from the Florida Gators. Keep the lawfirm and peerman, give boom another training camp and bring Mike Gillisbee to compete here.Dump scott bernard,and brian leonard.If all these things are not addressed as i see it, this team will not get better. Remember, all the teams in our division WILL GET BETTER.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
Cook was a serviceable center the the year before too. He struggled against good defenses and got man-handled that year ALOT.In order for our team to grow, i feel we need to change some of the coaches as well. If they start the season with cook,its a mistake. He should be a BACKUP at best.But what do we know. All we do is watch mistakes after mistakes and until they at least try other players in key positions, we will not get better.Needs are draft a center, the best one out there,get a safety,a wide receiver, a good backup O-line and D-line passrusher, and the best running back available. I like Mike Gillisbee from the Florida Gators. Keep the lawfirm and peerman, give boom another training camp and bring Mike Gillisbee to compete here.Dump scott bernard,and brian leonard.If all these things are not addressed as i see it, this team will not get better. Remember, all the teams in our division WILL GET BETTER.

So, can we put you down for liking Frederick to be drafted at C? Or, did you have someone else in mind?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Rep Points: 23

J.C. Tretter Cornell Big Red!!

Last edited by PantheraTigrisTigris; 01-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19866

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Draft Travis Frederick and have him get back down to about 328 where he was playing at before this season and let the 3 headed monster battle it out.
Are you changing your opinion on this issue?

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 137

My option wasn't listed. Draft a guy and let all 3 battle it out in camp. Imo TR is already better than Cook as an undrafted rookie. So Cook would have to step up or be out the door.