Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch > The Lounge

The Lounge Your own cool little spot to call your own. Pass me a drink.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7271
Default Re: The Lounge 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Waht!!! That's kinda weird, most browns fans loathe the Ravens. Poor Browns fans, about the only team in the league who's fans I actually feel sorry for.
Detroit?

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15772

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
You wanna see what I wrote on Vincent Rey for English 102? I bet you don't

It is safe to say the occupation is not as important as the man behind it. It is everything from family, to values, to their work in his community that makes the man. That much is easily true with Vincent Rey, linebacker for the Cincinnati Bengals. As a special teams leader and valuable contributor to the team, anyone could say that made Vincent a successful person. He has even had to chance to practice and compete against the likes of an NFL legend like Peyton Manning. However, it is the philanthropy and commitment to education that made him.

As someone who had nothing but humble beginnings in his career, Vincent Rey keeps everything to that description. With only one offer from a Division 1A school, it would be easy to say Rey would not amount to much as a player coming out of high school. After his four years at the predominant basketball school Duke, he went undrafted in the 2010 NFL draft. He signed a contract afterwards to play for the Cincinnati Bengals, and was only signed to their practice squad – a place for developmental players – after he was cut before the regular season in his first year. Not many make it out of that, but Vincent has flourished since being called up from that squad to play for the team. This is quite a success story any way it can be thrown, but it is not the reason for who he is today.

As a leader of special teams on the Bengals, the coaches and players anticipate a certain level of commitment to excellence in character by Rey. He accomplished that and more when Rey was announced one of the two winners of the 2012 NFL Players Association Pulse Award for the team. The award is given out to those who do excellent work in their community, and Rey lived up to that in every way he could. He had helped created a garden at a school just to help a community that wanted extra beauty within it. Not only that, he was chosen to help represent the Bengals as a member of the United Way, which is an organization that helps individuals and families achieve their potential through education, income stability and healthy lifestyles.

As Vincent said, “I do charity because I see it as my duty to give to others. I have been very fortunate this far in my life and even though I can do everything, I know that I can do something.”

Although as cliché as it sounds, he derives inspiration from his father and Jesus Christ. Calling his father “The most consistent man that I have known” and citing how Jesus “is a great example of humility,” and “I want to be more of a humble person as the days go on,” it is clear how he derives his values from his religion and family. His father pushed schooling on him and his younger brother, giving them as much as they could with putting Vincent in a private school for a year.

His family is a strong showing of educational values, having a mother who is a guidance counselor, and a father who could not achieve everything he wanted to because of his lack of the education he drove into his son at every point he could. They would send him to the library every day after school until he reached high school. That very same high school he would take a four hour train ride to for the sole reason of its reputation for academics and athletics.

Being from Duke, an outstanding educational institution, Rey puts a large focus on that education he was fortunate to receive. Vincent has helped within education with an astounding amount of persistence. In 2012, Rey teamed up with other NFL players to go to the Capitol and attempt to find a way to help recruit a million tutors for schools around the country to help control the dropout rate as well as finding help for any other students struggling. Of course, like in his NFL career, he was not drafted into this event either. Whenever the Bengals head coach, Marin Lewis, made mention of his “Learning is Cool” foundation, Vincent was on top of Lewis to get involved. There was no one to pressure him into a decision, except for his own will.

He spends two hours a week at various schools in the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky area helping students. For one hour, he talks to young men about the importance of their education, and spends another hour at a different school tutoring any student who needs it in reading or mathematics. Considering the amount of time an NFL player must put into his work when it comes to practice and studying film, this is quite a bit of dedication to something many do not put time into.

There is a certain level of proudness that comes from him seeing students and teachers he had helped out before, seeing them around any place he is at. He finds it nice to see them out of any place that could cause trouble, and seeing them act as any regular person in society. Considering he has been around the area for a relatively short period of time, it speaks to just how many students he has been able to have an impact on.

Vincent states, "Education starts within the home. The schools should be thinking of ways to stay in contact with the parents to keep them involved. Number two, kids spend more time at school than home in extracurricular activities and public schools have to find ways to make sure they have the right number of teachers and be prepared to give kids those after-school opportunities."

Hoping to end up as a teacher, principal, or athletic director after his football career, there are not many ways to further engrain the fact Vincent Rey has his love for education. He wants to reach a Master’s degree in education to continue to contribute to said love. With the values he has, it is difficult to argue his impact cannot reach even greater heights when he reaches that point in his life.

Vincent Rey should be looked at as an inspiration to all. At 6’5”, and weighing 250 pounds, Vincent may be one of the most intimidating men a person can be around. Despite his appearance as an NFL player, Rey comes as a humble, passionate, and dedicated man to fields that are too often ignored in society. Vincent even allowed a college student, whom he could have ignored without any consequence, to interview him. With his influence on students and teachers alike, his impact should be felt well after his level of fame and fortune are gone. Although his legacy as an NFL player may not be passed down for generations, his legacy as a philanthropist and teacher should be noted by the end of his career. That is, his real career, as an educator to whomever reaches out to him.

Woo
Well written, but Vinnie Rey's not 6'5 lol

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Oh? Why's that? You could talk with other fans from the AFCN, not have to worry about smack, and no Fanof31teams.
It'll devolve into smack eventually, and it's not like Smack didn't have good discussion previously. *shrug*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Well written, but Vinnie Rey's not 6'5 lol
Yeah, typo. I Was going through that pretty quickly :X
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Detroit?
Yea, maybe them too.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50497

Nice job with the Vincent Rey write up.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3061

Andrew Hawkins Verified
‏@YoungBabyHawk
we have the best WR in the league in AJG. Bengal fans better do everything in their power to make him want to stay 4ever #RememberthisTweet

Is there something to this tweet?

"I've got two contracts in my life: One with my wife and the other to protect Andy Dalton." - Andrew Whitworth
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange and Black Attack View Post
Andrew Hawkins Verified
‏@YoungBabyHawk
we have the best WR in the league in AJG. Bengal fans better do everything in their power to make him want to stay 4ever #RememberthisTweet

Just when negotiations come around for him
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Andrew Hawkins Verified
‏@YoungBabyHawk

It just means that we need to give AJ a blank check as soon as the new league year starts after the 2013 season.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Andrew Hawkins Verified
‏@YoungBabyHawk

I don't get it. Is he not getting enough quality tail at the local clubs or what? Bengal fans clearly adore the kid, what else are they gonna do?

Yea, I don't get that tweet at all.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I don't get it. Is he not getting enough quality tail at the local clubs or what? Bengal fans clearly adore the kid, what else are they gonna do?

Yea, I don't get that tweet at all.
Hawk is the one who should feel some roster pressure. If we opt for a new #2 WR, then he's screwed. Sanu would/should get the slot spot and Jones would be our #4. Hawk will have to hope to keep the #5 WR/ST spot.

Quote:

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Dude View Post
Hawk is the one who should feel some roster pressure. If we opt for a new #2 WR, then he's screwed. Sanu would/should get the slot spot and Jones would be our #4. Hawk will have to hope to keep the #5 WR/ST spot.
I agree with that. Maybe he's just kissing AJ arse via twitter lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I agree with that. Maybe he's just kissing AJ arse via twitter lol.
I wouldn't be surprised by that. He may be making a ploy for AJ sticking up for him when the bubble spot for WRs comes up.

Quote:

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised by that. He may be making a ploy for AJ sticking up for him when the bubble spot for WRs comes up.
Tryna pull a Jordan Palmer. LULZ
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Tryna pull a Jordan Palmer. LULZ
AJ comes off as a guy who will always choose what's best for the team. Baby Hawk needs to beg to Artrell and hopes he talks to Mike Brown.

On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't view Brian Hartline as some super savior, like others in JN are proclaiming?

Quote:

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
AJ comes off as a guy who will always choose what's best for the team. Baby Hawk needs to beg to Artrell and hopes he talks to Mike Brown.

On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't view Brian Hartline as some super savior, like others in JN are proclaiming?
I don't see him as super savior but I'd love him as our #2, I think that would be a quality signing for us. My "super savior" is a rookie RB to be named later lol. That's what I think we need more than anything, a good RB. I think this team becomes a real SB contender if we can draft next year's Doug Martin.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I don't see him as super savior but I'd love him as our #2, I think that would be a quality signing for us. My "super savior" is a rookie RB to be named later lol. That's what I think we need more than anything, a good RB. I think this team becomes a real SB contender if we can draft next year's Doug Martin.
I'm not sure if the Hartline hype is because he went to OSU or what, but this past season was his only one as a starter, and he was the Dolphins only option. They just kept throwing him the ball, even in bad situations.

I know I'm ready for a dynamic running back. I have my favorites, but I'm open to pretty much any of the rookies, as long as we don't wait late for one or drastically reach for one.

Quote:

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-218
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Hartline hype is because he went to OSU or what, but this past season was his only one as a starter, and he was the Dolphins only option. They just kept throwing him the ball, even in bad situations.

I know I'm ready for a dynamic running back. I have my favorites, but I'm open to pretty much any of the rookies, as long as we don't wait late for one or drastically reach for one.
Yes, don't drastically reach, but a mild reach for a guy they feel good about is fine with me.....As long as he ends up being good right lol.

As for Hartline, I won't attempt to hide my OSU love, so I can't say that has nothing to do with me liking him. But I also view him as a good reliable receiver that is just now entering his prime and who is versatile enough to work the outside or the slot and has enough talent to be a very good #2. Especially when your #1 is as dynamic as AJ, I think a guy like Hartline could fit in with our offense really well.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Yes, don't drastically reach, but a mild reach for a guy they feel good about is fine with me.....As long as he ends up being good right lol.

As for Hartline, I won't attempt to hide my OSU love, so I can't say that has nothing to do with me liking him. But I also view him as a good reliable receiver that is just now entering his prime and who is versatile enough to work the outside or the slot and has enough talent to be a very good #2. Especially when your #1 is as dynamic as AJ, I think a guy like Hartline could fit in with our offense really well.
I don't give a damn about college as you know. Louisville is growing being that I go here, but I'm fair with their evaluations. But I would want Hrtline. Between the 20s WR, pay him moderately, watch as he craftily gets open
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I don't give a damn about college as you know. Louisville is growing being that I go here, but I'm fair with their evaluations. But I would want Hrtline. Between the 20s WR, pay him moderately, watch as he craftily gets open
No doubt dude. I haven't watched Hartline much at all in Miami, but looking at his numbers and considering the situation in Miami, he did well for himself. And when he was at Ohio State, kid was a baller so it doesn't surprise he appears to be developing into a good pro. I just can't lie and say him being from State has nothing to do with me liking him, it does.

I'm pretty good about recognizing OSU player that are poop though, I'll admit when I think they are. This town is so Buckeye crazy we basically treat the players like they're pros anyway, not too much sentimentality involved just cuz "oh they're kiiiidddds" lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8748

Quote:

And even with all the targets, he only had 1 TD reception. He had a good year, but not enough to trust him to repeat it once again.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals23 View Post
And even with all the targets, he only had 1 TD reception. He had a good year, but not enough to trust him to repeat it once again.
The one good year was his first as a starter and it was as a non-playoff team's best receiver and he's like 25 or so, so he's just entering his prime. Clearly, he's not dynamic enough to be a #1 as the lack of red zone production indicates. With the back line of the end zone acting as that proverbial "12th defender" it's harder for receivers to get open especially when you've usually got the other team's best corner covering him.

Opposite AJ though, I think Hartline would work out wonderfully. I think of it kinda like putting a good but not great college OT at OG. If I'm a Dolphins fan, Hartline is disappointing as #1, as a #2 though, especially when you've already got one of the best WRs in the league....... that dog will hunt imo.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3061

Gonna be a long offseason.

"I've got two contracts in my life: One with my wife and the other to protect Andy Dalton." - Andrew Whitworth
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals23 View Post
TDs can be largely regressional to everyone except elite HWS WRs. Calvin Johnson went through a period where he was tackled at the one 6 times this year, and that contributed to his lower TD total. I would trust Hartline to regress that one TD back to the mean (3-4 TDs)
Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9673

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!