Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42855
Default Re: Do the Bengals take a WR at 21 or 37?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
This again.
Chad is done here. He can't come back. Just wouldn't sit right with a lot of vets IMO.

Go get Greg Jennings in FA if you are serious about winning now.
Bad thing about Jennings is you get his sister too.

I can only imagine the tweets she would have about Andy.

As to the OP: I want a WR with the 1st 2 picks or none at all (Harper may be an exception).
Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2610

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
When you have a chance to upgrade your wr corp you do it. Their are several WR's in the 2nd/3rd range whose better than jones now. It's going to do bothing but help our team. Jones was not drafted to be handed a spot or to start, he's got to earn it.
I don't think they will use either of our first two picks on a WR. If they think an upgrade is possible after those two picks then they will go after it. Kind of similar to last year I feel they are likely to go after Safety/OLB/RB with the first two picks because those are the three biggest needs as was OG and CB last year. After those first two picks though they will start looking BPA and if that happens to be WR this year then it wouldn't surprise me at that point if they take one. My point on Jones is that we have not seen an offense with Green/Sanu/Jones all on the field at the same time. I think with all three guys on the field at once it could help the entire offense.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25275
bengals Re: Do the Bengals take a WR at 21 or 37?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPlaya View Post
I know at this point the over riding thought is the Bengals select a LB or DE at one of these spots.
But the recent signing of Aaron Maybin tells me that this addition that the Bengals
look elsewhere in the in the 1st RDs of the draft.
You have to figure in Thomas Howard,Brandon Joiner in the mix and now thats 3 LBers you didn't
have in 2012.
On to DE, I have a feeling the Bengals resign Michael Johnson. He is starting to come into his own.
He had as many sacks as Ware, Long and Peppers and is younger.

Its evident the Bengals need a WR to take the heat off A.J Green. They need another dynamic playmaker.
Kinda like what Atlanta has with White and Jones.
I think part of Green's drops is that he puts so much on himself to make a play,he plays tight.
having another WR out there that can make plays can allow Green to play a bit more loose.
who wouldn't want another Julio Jones on this team.

I'm in favor of the Bengals drafting Da'Rick Rogers of Tennessee Tech,ex Vol.
6'3 205 lbs. Can line up anywhere.
He was constantly double covered in 2012 and still put up close to 900 yds and 10 TDs.
I watched him at UT,he was impossible to press. and after the catch he would drag defenders for extra yards. Just incredible strength.
He really dominated the SEC in 2011. I don't think you can go wrong drafting another WR out of the SEC.
Green,Jones,Wallace, Cobb,Bowe..etc etc.the proof is in the pudding.
hey I wouldn't mind a Cordelle Patterson or DeAndre Hopkins....but right now I'm gonna pimp Rogers.
His character issues are a thing of the past. He had no issues as a Golden Eagle.
Neither....Easy answer.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
I don't think they will use either of our first two picks on a WR. If they think an upgrade is possible after those two picks then they will go after it. Kind of similar to last year I feel they are likely to go after Safety/OLB/RB with the first two picks because those are the three biggest needs as was OG and CB last year. After those first two picks though they will start looking BPA and if that happens to be WR this year then it wouldn't surprise me at that point if they take one. My point on Jones is that we have not seen an offense with Green/Sanu/Jones all on the field at the same time. I think with all three guys on the field at once it could help the entire offense.

Depending on how FA goes if Patton is their at 2B and they're looking at WR's he'd be a good one to get!!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2610

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Depending on how FA goes if Patton is their at 2B and they're looking at WR's he'd be a good one to get!!
He has looked good this week. I'm curious to see what kind of 40 time he runs. Seems like a guy that just catches everything with good size but doesn't have the greatest speed. In other words his attributes sound a lot like Sanu and that isn't a bad thing.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
He has looked good this week. I'm curious to see what kind of 40 time he runs. Seems like a guy that just catches everything with good size but doesn't have the greatest speed. In other words his attributes sound a lot like Sanu and that isn't a bad thing.

I'm guessing somewhere in the 4.4's
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1354

Quote:
This. Our first round pick will almost assuredly come down to value.
If who they view as the top WR is sitting there at 21, I can't see them passing.
No way they take a WR in the first. WR is a need but its a secondary need after safety, lb, and rb.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them not take any wr in the first 5 rounds.

They SHOULD see much more potential in sanu and jones than they did in tate and binns, and if they do then they will be starting since most would agree sanu and jones are better than binns and tate.

DOnt get me wrong i love WRs and didnt agree with keeping binns and tate as starers last year whatsoever. I wanted them to draft floyd with the 17th pick last year if he was there. But jones and sanu are miles ahead of binns and tate.

I would rather grab a good wr in FA than draft one so early.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25779

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09itsourtime View Post
No way they take a WR in the first. WR is a need but its a secondary need after safety, lb, and rb.

They SHOULD see much more potential in sanu and jones than they did in tate and binns, and if they do then they will be starting since most would agree sanu and jones are better than binns and tate.

DOnt get me wrong i love WRs and didnt agree with keeping binns and tate as starers last year whatsoever. I wanted them to draft floyd with the 17th pick last year if he was there. But jones and sanu are miles ahead of binns and tate.

So you take a LB or RB of lesser value over a top WR talent?
Makes sense.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2312

I hope we sign a good WR in free agency rather than drafting one.

Special thanks to NashvilleBengalfan for the sig!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
So you take a LB or RB of lesser value over a top WR talent?
Makes sense.
And i said that in my post where?

If all things are equal or close to equal then yes you go LB as its a bigger need than wr. We should NOT take any rb in the first.

you act like i'm saying take a rey maualuga over AJ green when its really more like take aj green or JJ watt scenario.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPlaya View Post
I know at this point the over riding thought is the Bengals select a LB or DE at one of these spots.
But the recent signing of Aaron Maybin tells me that this addition that the Bengals
look elsewhere in the in the 1st RDs of the draft.
You have to figure in Thomas Howard,Brandon Joiner in the mix and now thats 3 LBers you didn't
have in 2012.
On to DE, I have a feeling the Bengals resign Michael Johnson. He is starting to come into his own.
He had as many sacks as Ware, Long and Peppers and is younger.

Its evident the Bengals need a WR to take the heat off A.J Green. They need another dynamic playmaker.
Kinda like what Atlanta has with White and Jones.
I think part of Green's drops is that he puts so much on himself to make a play,he plays tight.
having another WR out there that can make plays can allow Green to play a bit more loose.
who wouldn't want another Julio Jones on this team.

I'm in favor of the Bengals drafting Da'Rick Rogers of Tennessee Tech,ex Vol.
6'3 205 lbs. Can line up anywhere.
He was constantly double covered in 2012 and still put up close to 900 yds and 10 TDs.
I watched him at UT,he was impossible to press. and after the catch he would drag defenders for extra yards. Just incredible strength.
He really dominated the SEC in 2011. I don't think you can go wrong drafting another WR out of the SEC.
Green,Jones,Wallace, Cobb,Bowe..etc etc.the proof is in the pudding.
hey I wouldn't mind a Cordelle Patterson or DeAndre Hopkins....but right now I'm gonna pimp Rogers.
His character issues are a thing of the past. He had no issues as a Golden Eagle.
Is it fair to compare Da'Rick to Dez Bryant? Because that is the comparison I make. He might have a Jerome Simpson like head on is shoulders though, and that is risky at 21 or 37. So he is not really a guy I covet. I wouldn't be upset with the pick and it wouldn't take me long to get excited about it. But it doesn't seem like a rock solid pick which is what I'm looking for that early.

1034 yards 9 TDs combined between the 4 WRs picked around the area 21 and 37 last year.

Kendall Wright pick 20. AJ Jenkins pick 30, Brain Quick 33, and Stephen Hill 43.

Sanu and Marvin combined for 355 yards.and 5 TDs. I think getting both playing time and starts last year is huge for us. They are going to come in familiar with the system, playing with the same qb, and hit the ground running.

I don't want to reach for a WR. But I would not hate an early value pick at WR. I am counting on increased production from Sanu and Jones (hopefully Hawkins and Whalen too) and the rookie not making much of an immediate impact.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13796

Quote:

^^^^ All you need to know.

Maybin is a security blanket. They did the same thing last year. You fill all of your needs (though they missed WR last year) in FA with at least 'a guy' and then the draft is less of an emergency.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
I hope we sign a good WR in free agency rather than drafting one.
Ok you want a vet reciever. Lets say they bring in Dwayne Bowe what makes you think he isn't going to want to be a starter. Why not just draft a guy it doesn't have to be in the first. If Jones is the guy then let him prove it by camp competition with the drafted guy. I like Sanu as a potentially great slot Wr. I like Jones but they need someone else other than Tate pushing him.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1852

If we draft Da'Rick Rogers, he will be the second best WR on our roster. I hope we do. Give Dalton the tools to succeed.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2312

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlesmiley View Post
Ok you want a vet reciever. Lets say they bring in Dwayne Bowe what makes you think he isn't going to want to be a starter.
Um....He'd be our #2 WR which would make him a starter.

Special thanks to NashvilleBengalfan for the sig!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29729

How about - None of the Above.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
And i said that in my post where?

If all things are equal or close to equal then yes you go LB as its a bigger need than wr. We should NOT take any rb in the first.

you act like i'm saying take a rey maualuga over AJ green when its really more like take aj green or JJ watt scenario.
Right here:
Quote:
No it is only that scenario in your head because you want it to be so it works out better for you.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Right here:

No it is only that scenario in your head because you want it to be so it works out better for you.
wrong. If the bigger needs are lb safety and RB then grabbing a WR when its not the biggest need is a lesser value for our team.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22106

Quote:
wrong. If the bigger needs are lb safety and RB then grabbing a WR when its not the biggest need is a lesser value for our team.
There might be a very good chance that WR is on top of the draft board when #21 comes around. Where would the downside of giving Andy another guy to throw to be?

You can still get LB, S, RB with the other picks.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
There might be a very good chance that WR is on top of the draft board when #21 comes around. Where would the downside of giving Andy another guy to throw to be?

NO!
We only have one pick! If we screw it up, we are DOOMED I SAY! DOOMED!

If the guy we have rated as the #1 WR is there vs the guy we have rated as the #5 LB is there, why wouldn't we take the WR?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
But it is still a need and if the value of the #1 WR at 21 is not greater than the value of the 4/5 LB then IDK what to think anymore.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
And yes, you said specifically no way we take one.
So, by that logic you pass on greater value at a spot of need because you perceive LB and RB to be greater.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post

\Bottom line, here is what they need to do. 1st round, go get the best safety out there,next pick get your running back,i like mike gillisbee.next go get your center or a top corner back. WE NEED BOTH.Our secondary was 2nd grade all year.Could not cover the tight end or good receivers.We do not need another receiver.We have marvin jones, aj green,sanu,whalen and baby hawk.i am telling you the marvin jones kid is going to be very good, plus don't we have guys on the practice squad??If they go after a wide receiver, it should be in free agency with experience.What they seriously need to do is upgrade the O-line and D-line more.You always need those guys and this year the draft is full of very talented players on both sides.Please go get the center from bama.end of worries about that position.We should have gotten a running back last year that was day one a starter.Whats up with boom herron???I say cut leonard and scott, keep the lawfirm and peerman, and give boom this training camp to see if he is the man beside the lawfirm.Who knows what they willl really do!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1771

Quote:
NO!
We only have one pick! If we screw it up, we are DOOMED I SAY! DOOMED!

If the guy we have rated as the #1 WR is there vs the guy we have rated as the #5 LB is there, why wouldn't we take the WR?
Hey, everyone, remember this, with the exception of AJ GREEN, receivers usually take a year or more to get it down. We need players that are drafted this time to come in and start.Another pickin pass rusher,another top center, a killer safety which to me should be the 1st pick.That is the most pressing need we have. we also need another top corner back.and another top offensive lineman.You can never have enough good lineman and this draft is full of top lineman that are graded out to be very good.Increase your depth of both lines and you can go far in the season. without that, you will struggle, believe that!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
\Bottom line, here is what they need to do. 1st round, go get the best safety out there,next pick get your running back,i like mike gillisbee.next go get your center or a top corner back. WE NEED BOTH.Our secondary was 2nd grade all year.Could not cover the tight end or good receivers.We do not need another receiver.We have marvin jones, aj green,sanu,whalen and baby hawk.i am telling you the marvin jones kid is going to be very good, plus don't we have guys on the practice squad??If they go after a wide receiver, it should be in free agency with experience.What they seriously need to do is upgrade the O-line and D-line more.You always need those guys and this year the draft is full of very talented players on both sides.Please go get the center from bama.end of worries about that position.We should have gotten a running back last year that was day one a starter.Whats up with boom herron???I say cut leonard and scott, keep the lawfirm and peerman, and give boom this training camp to see if he is the man beside the lawfirm.Who knows what they willl really do!!!
Bottom line, no they don't need to do that at all. Especially since right now, only one safety has a solid first round grade and will likely be long gone.

And our secondary was not 2nd grade. Not at all. Pure ******** that has been debunked several times as panicky fans not knowing anything. Sorry, but it is true. The secondary was not the problem in 2012.