Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 315
bengals very excited in this early offseason

I have to say I am super excited about this offseason, despite the fact that it has barely started.

1. Joiner out of prison - I don't know much about him save for a quality college career. Think of how many talented football players (or ordinary teenagers) would be well served by a year of hard knocks before they enter the real world. Joiner just got that - I am willing to be he is the hardest working and humblest guy next camp. He is going to contribute!

2. Maybin was a great pick up. I would not have said that 5 years ago, but Zimmer knows how to light a fire under guys. Obviously he has NFL skills - and Zimmer will find a way to make those show on the field.

3. Thompson, Still, Kirkpatrick, Sanu....four good players who due to injury or depth we only got to see a bit of. The quality of those guys is there. And as for our two rookie receivers, remember that most receives take two years to really get in gear. Jones and Sanu will be very good next year - no need to reach on another rookie.

4. A wide open draft. So what do we really need? I would say a middle LB (unless Burfict moves inside), a strong safety and a change of pace back. Well, with 3 picks in the first two rounds those can be filled. The question mark is RB - do we get a 'change of pace' back, who is available in the 3rd or 4th, or a complete back who would likely be the first 2 rounds (though who knows based on recent drafts). But our needs are small, and are options are big.

5. My only concerns are our own free agents. Like everyone else here, I want Atkins signed to an extension yesterday. I am not sure about Smith...great last year but was he playing for a contract and will revert to frequently injured after a big signing bonus? I guess my last concern is back-up QB. Knock on wood, Dalton has stayed healthy and we haven't had to worry too much. But any play could end that, and I am not sure Gradkowski is ready to take over....wouldn't mind getting someone a bit more solid.

But all things considered, we had a good year and an off-season that already feels good in January....WHODEY!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12886
Default Re: very excited in this early offseason

and it is rumored that MB will spend on FA's.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 769

How about the one thing you didnt touch on, all coaches are back and the band is back together in its entirety!

It should be interesting as much as I like our young WR's I would love to see us sign a veteran to provide leadership and coaching to our young guys.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTN View Post
I have to say I am super excited about this offseason, despite the fact that it has barely started.

1. Joiner out of prison - I don't know much about him save for a quality college career. Think of how many talented football players (or ordinary teenagers) would be well served by a year of hard knocks before they enter the real world. Joiner just got that - I am willing to be he is the hardest working and humblest guy next camp. He is going to contribute!

2. Maybin was a great pick up. I would not have said that 5 years ago, but Zimmer knows how to light a fire under guys. Obviously he has NFL skills - and Zimmer will find a way to make those show on the field.

3. Thompson, Still, Kirkpatrick, Sanu....four good players who due to injury or depth we only got to see a bit of. The quality of those guys is there. And as for our two rookie receivers, remember that most receives take two years to really get in gear. Jones and Sanu will be very good next year - no need to reach on another rookie.

4. A wide open draft. So what do we really need? I would say a middle LB (unless Burfict moves inside), a strong safety and a change of pace back. Well, with 3 picks in the first two rounds those can be filled. The question mark is RB - do we get a 'change of pace' back, who is available in the 3rd or 4th, or a complete back who would likely be the first 2 rounds (though who knows based on recent drafts). But our needs are small, and are options are big.

5. My only concerns are our own free agents. Like everyone else here, I want Atkins signed to an extension yesterday. I am not sure about Smith...great last year but was he playing for a contract and will revert to frequently injured after a big signing bonus? I guess my last concern is back-up QB. Knock on wood, Dalton has stayed healthy and we haven't had to worry too much. But any play could end that, and I am not sure Gradkowski is ready to take over....wouldn't mind getting someone a bit more solid.

But all things considered, we had a good year and an off-season that already feels good in January....WHODEY!
+1
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2917

Quote:

You are right the roster looks like it is shaping up and as long as we sign the right guys back, the draft will be wide open.
As far as RB I don't think there is a FA that is going to come in, hush your mouths about Bush. The draft has a kinds of different runners so it will be interesting how that shakes out. I think the only two guys we keep is BJGE and Boom. Would love to see Lacy and Williams come to us in the draft.

We still have two years of Atkins before he would be gone, this year and maybe a tag next year. However, pay the man.

Back up QB is a must, they need a vet with starting experience. I think this is one of the reasons Andy isn't developing as fast, he doesn't have a guy in the room that can help. Not a great example but look at Sanchez with Brunell as a backup. Maybe a guy like Garrard or McNabb could help Andy out.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47375

Yes, coming off of back to back winning seasons and repeat trips to the playoffs, it really is a good time to be excited about the Bengals offseason!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

An undrafted free agent from an obscure college gets out of jail and we sign one of the biggest draft busts of the past 5 years. We better extend Mike Browns contract before some other team tries to hire him to be their GM!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

This also means that there are no excuses for not putting together another winning season. This might be the biggest year for Marvin. He has broken the mold of back to back winning seasons. He needs to break his playoff losing streak now.

No Excuses!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

I agree with everything you wrote except the part about going to jail and coming out a better person. That rarely happens. The recidivism rate of ex-cons is very high(over 60%), which likely means they can't stay out of trouble for whatever reason.

For most, prison isn't the place to learn how to become a good citizen. Quite the opposite in fact.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
I agree with everything you wrote except the part about going to jail and coming out a better person. That rarely happens. The recidivism rate of ex-cons is very high(over 60%), which likely means they can't stay out of trouble for whatever reason.

For most, prison isn't the place to learn how to become a good citizen. Quite the opposite in fact.

Yeah, yeah we all know the facts. But, this is the offseason, a time for optimism where every team can potentially be the next Super Bowl Champion. As you stated, the odds certainly are against a guy like Joiner, but there is always that chance that he was just a misguided youth needing to get on the right path...
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23828

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
You are right the roster looks like it is shaping up and as long as we sign the right guys back, the draft will be wide open.
As far as RB I don't think there is a FA that is going to come in, hush your mouths about Bush. The draft has a kinds of different runners so it will be interesting how that shakes out. I think the only two guys we keep is BJGE and Boom. Would love to see Lacy and Williams come to us in the draft.

We still have two years of Atkins before he would be gone, this year and maybe a tag next year. However, pay the man.

Back up QB is a must, they need a vet with starting experience. I think this is one of the reasons Andy isn't developing as fast, he doesn't have a guy in the room that can help. Not a great example but look at Sanchez with Brunell as a backup. Maybe a guy like Garrard or McNabb could help Andy out.
Lacy and Williams are my picks at RB, as well. However, the wide openness of things could give us the opportunity to take a risk on Lattimore. I'm not saying to take 3 RBs, but Lattimore, when healthy, is even better than Lacy. If he doesn't pan out, we always have next year.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Yeah, yeah we all know the facts. But, this is the offseason, a time for optimism where every team can potentially be the next Super Bowl Champion. As you stated, the odds certainly are against a guy like Joiner, but there is always that chance that he was just a misguided youth needing to get on the right path...
Free agency will be where the rubber meets the road. Keeping our own, extend Atkins and Dunlap, upgrade a position or 2.

Everything else is just pushing peas around on the plate.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3257

Don't count out Dontay Moch and also Brandon Ghee.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
I honestly forget Ghee is on the roster.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post

You said a lot, right there.

Those are two guys, should they ever stay healthy enough to actually play a season, that would really add another dynamic to the defense.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
You said a lot, right there.

Those are two guys, should they ever stay healthy enough to actually play a season, that would really add another dynamic to the defense.
I think we can count Ghee out. He's been healthy and not played.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
I think we can count Ghee out. He's been healthy and not played.

Too bad, I always had hopes of him making the conversion to Safety.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12921

I think we signed Maybin because we are going to cut our ties with Moch.

RUNNING TO THE JUNGLE '13
Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 957

The thing that that needs to happen this offseason is the OLine has got to get stronger in both pass/run blocking so the offense can actually operate the way it is supposed to. It starts in the trenches. You win at the line of scrimmage, your chances to win the game highly improve. I don't care if we had Peterson carrying the ball and Tom Brady taking snaps...the way our Oline performed late last season, the offense would still fail.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx View Post
I think we signed Maybin because we are going to cut our ties with Moch.
possibly, probably signed to get a long look at him in the building for the off season. No risk, and can see how his work ethic is as well.

I am sure Moch is on double secret probation this year.

Trust can’t live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:49 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxfan26 View Post
The thing that that needs to happen this offseason is the OLine has got to get stronger in both pass/run blocking so the offense can actually operate the way it is supposed to. It starts in the trenches. You win at the line of scrimmage, your chances to win the game highly improve. I don't care if we had Peterson carrying the ball and Tom Brady taking snaps...the way our Oline performed late last season, the offense would still fail.
yup i agree. but i think the addition of another home run hitter would help that and not make Andy hold onto the ball as much. And of course Gresh getting another year better

Trust can’t live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20886

Add a couple pieces to the offense and it changes everything. Add a couple pieces to the defense and it makes an already strong unit potentially an absolute force.

Strong finish to the season, a first under Marvin is a good sign.

This offseason is a real opportunity climb up with the big boys and maybe stay there a while. Here's hoping it happens. Third time's a charm in the playoffs. Get that first win, you start to believe. You start to believe, who knows where it leads?

I'd say there's a lot to be excited about.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2124

Great post. I actually think the current team is better than their 10-6 record, and if we can retain the key pieces and add some on top of that, I think we have a good shot at being a team who're constantly in the playoffs (well 3 out of the last 4 kinda makes us currently a playoff consistent team). Like with anything its how we build on it, we still need that something to send us over the top, and give us a shot at beating good teams in the playoffs.

I think its an exciting time to be a Bengals fan. Agreed with the OP, the only thing that's really gunna send us into the season on a downer is if we dont re-sign our own guys.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCincinnatiKid View Post
Great post. I actually think the current team is better than their 10-6 record, and if we can retain the key pieces and add some on top of that, I think we have a good shot at being a team who're constantly in the playoffs (well 3 out of the last 4 kinda makes us currently a playoff consistent team). Like with anything its how we build on it, we still need that something to send us over the top, and give us a shot at beating good teams in the playoffs.

I think its an exciting time to be a Bengals fan. Agreed with the OP, the only thing that's really gunna send us into the season on a downer is if we dont re-sign our own guys.
I think their record was inflated by playing bad teams. KC, Cleveland was winless when we played them, Jacksonville, Oakland, SD.

We need to keep improving the roster!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367

Quote:

I would not stop with your list of the 4 guys. I think Prater can help us, Ghee is healthy, and I'm anxious to see what Joiner can do. It's like we have 2 draft classes coming in before next season.