Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM

Rep Points: 23
Default Re: "return to jail" opinion

I think the main concern is what goes on in the minds of these guys who get into trouble. Most people do not have the urge to tie people up and steal drugs from them, hell most people probably dont think about doing drugs(in joiner's case), My point is that if it truly was a "dumb teenage moment" (we all had those I'm sure), then can we be sure that the "impure thoughts" have been renounced by the jail time.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 963

I do a lot of volunteer work in prisons. While the national rate of recidivism is around 2/3, Joiner has many things going for him -- a college education, a support network (the Bengals and hopefully his family), and a great employment opportunity.

When incarcerated people return to the free world, it really helps them to know they are forgiven and that they have something to give to society (and to God). The rate of recidivism for released prisoners who go through the Kairos prison ministry program (my vehicle for volunteering) is half the national average.

If he is successful, I am sure that small-minded people will keep reminding him of his past. I hope that on this board, at least, people stick to the high road. So far, so good.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7409

Some would say, that if he was in jail, then it only makes sense for him to be on the Bengals.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 963

Yep -- plenty of small-minded people out there.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16041

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTN View Post
In my last post, a responder noted that those in jail have a very high rate of returning to jail. I think their are two elements to this...

One, the American prison system makes very little effort to rehabilitate. That one is as true for Joiner as anyone else.

Two, the average convict getting out is often greeted by a very small support network, and no opportunities. Joiner has both of these.

he will be more than fine
You forgot number 3.

They have major character issues and why they are criminals in the first place.

You can't make a duck a cat.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9500

Awesome stuff.

No matter what anyone thinks of Mike Brown's football decisions its nice to see Brown is human and seems to care for his guys.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671
Default Re: Brandon Joiner officially released from prison

I have some family member who have not always been saints, and more than one has done time.

I have seen it not make a bit of difference in the person, and seen it change people for the worse.

One thing to think of is Joiner, already straightened his act up, and did not get in trouble for 4 years. He still had to do the time for the crime, but he went into prison with the knowledge, the Bengals would stand behind him, and he had made things right, except for doing the time.

I hope prison did not damage the kid. I have seen it do that to someone I love, and it is not good.

Here is to hoping Joiner kept his act together, and will stay on the right side of the law. Then secondly I hope he has a very productive NFL career, and plays like Coy Bacon did when he was a Bengal.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 27557

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Well, he had all the time in the world and nothing to do but work out. At least he should be in good shape.
...and he's probably running faster than ever, too!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37221

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApinhead View Post
Yep!!! Just think if he works out like another certain UDFA appears to be working out.
LBs that run 5 flat and 4.8.....What the krap???

Just kidding, combine track is slow and Taze is clearly not that slow. Those are some rough sounding 40 times though.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12776

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post

Just kidding, combine track is slow and Taze is clearly not that slow. Those are some rough sounding 40 times though.
Yeah, they are, but like others have said, it's how fast and what they do on the field that is important.

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post

I guess loosing weight and getting in shape, and putting the joint away helped.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2710

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...randon-joiner/
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

This seems to be an interview damn near right after he got out. He doesn't sound too concerned about football. But if this right after he got out I don't blame him. He should be worried about spending time with his family. Hopefully it was an eye opening experience for him. If he realizes the opportunity in front of him he is going to be busting his arse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0EJRBuFkk

Another from a year ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frubdEwtc9c

I like that his coach brags on his power. Sure would be nice if Joiner, Moch, and Maybin all figured it out. Hopefully Marvin hits on one of his tweener projects sooner or later. He did have Brooks at MLB and I would consider him comparable to those three. So it wouldn't totally stun me if one of the three ended up being a back up MLB or something unsuspected. Realistically if one of them counts as a DE (like Moch) we could end up keeping all 3.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1740

Wouldn't hurt to give him a shot in camp, my only concern
would be who's spot would he take if the coaches do like him?

This is one of the deepest teams on defense i've seen so it's
going to be interesting to see who comes out on top of some
of these competitions.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
You forgot number 3.

Wrong.

Many people change after they turn 18, and many people never return to prison after they get out.

And the support they have upon release seems to be the single biggest indicator of how they will do.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1923

Quote:
You forgot number 3.

No but people can change, I did time 9 years ago and have been charge free since. I learned my lesson and made a change for a better life. I graduated College, and have a steady career now and am able to be a role model for my 8 year old son. Some people make decisions in life due to circumstances that maybe you never had to deal with or wouldn't understand, that does not make them bad people, just poor decision makers. If they are able to learn how to make better decisions they could be great contributors to society.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19003

Can someone be released from prison if it's not official?

Do guards sometimes just let inmates out for a night on the town and tell them to promise to be back by midnight?

Sorry, but that just bugs me.

Anyways, the guy was an animal in college, and, even if it was against weaker competition, you can't deny his athletic ability, the way he moved, or the way he dominated.

Put him in a rotation and, if he can even produce to a fraction of his potential, we'll have the best pass rush in the league (assuming we bring MJ back).

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.

Last edited by bradfritz21; 02-08-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

dude had a solid final season, im hoping to get him back to form asap. i like the potential. and i like the idea of hybrids, i want a pur rusher, im intrigued by maybin and Joiner, excited for what they can do, hopfully moch can figure it out as well. in a perfect world maybin joiner and moch as situational rushers would be epic!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Tweeting 101 View Post
No but people can change, I did time 9 years ago and have been charge free since. I learned my lesson and made a change for a better life. I graduated College, and have a steady career now and am able to be a role model for my 8 year old son. Some people make decisions in life due to circumstances that maybe you never had to deal with or wouldn't understand, that does not make them bad people, just poor decision makers. If they are able to learn how to make better decisions they could be great contributors to society.
Congrats, I sincerely appaud you for learning from a mistake. I should nothave generalized because of course there are many success stories. I just wish there were more and you know yourself the majority of people in prision do in fact have character issues. Many of them were given multiple shots to straighten up like you did, but their character flaws prohibited them from doing so. All of the stats back up criminal behavior rears its ugley head over and over again for the majority that enter the system.

Again, congrats for getting you life in order. You are a great story to show it can happen and does happen.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1923

Quote:
Congrats, I sincerely appaud you for learning from a mistake. I should nothave generalized because of course there are many success stories. I just wish there were more and you know yourself the majority of people in prision do in fact have character issues. Many of them were given multiple shots to straighten up like you did, but their character flaws prohibited them from doing so. All of the stats back up criminal behavior rears its ugley head over and over again for the majority that enter the system.

Again, congrats for getting you life in order. You are a great story to show it can happen and does happen.
I know several people that have tried so hard to change for the better after doing time, but society simply will not let them. Depending on your charge it could be very very difficult to get a job after being released that will provide enough money to support a family which more often leads to people reverting back to their old ways of income. This is the problem if you ask me, companies refuse to hire felons but then look down on them when they are forced to sell drugs or commit crimes to support their family. Not everyone has a support system to help them get back above water like I did.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8703

Quote:
I know several people that have tried so hard to change for the better after doing time, but society simply will not let them. Depending on your charge it could be very very difficult to get a job after being released that will provide enough money to support a family which more often leads to people reverting back to their old ways of income. This is the problem if you ask me, companies refuse to hire felons but then look down on them when they are forced to sell drugs or commit crimes to support their family. Not everyone has a support system to help them get back above water like I did.
In a sense, the NFL doesn't care if guys are arrested. Sure they don't want them arrested...but it happens all the time. It's not like he's the only guy to ever be in jail.

But, you are right about society to a large point.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: "return to jail" opinion

Quote:
I'm right there with you. I was recently released just about a year ago and have made the adjustments in my life to become successful and stay on track.
It's good to see someone else doing well that has to deal with this situation. Even though we put ourselves there; it's not always easy to overcome our mistakes.

Quote:

Unfortunately this is something all throughout society. Not just those who have ended up in prison.

Quote:
A lot of people will probably think all of the above sounds like a cop-out.
The system is not geared toward allowing those who have made a mistake the ability for a second chance.
As you say; without a very healthy support system, turning yourself back around can be an incredibly difficult task.

The fortunate thing for Joiner is that he appears to have this support through his family and from the Bengals organization.
He also was making steps to improve himself before his sentence.
I don't foresee a reason to believe he would not be able to contribute to the team, provided he puts in the effort.
He was a talented player in college and he'll now have a chance to show it in the NFL.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Put him in a rotation and, if he can even produce to a fraction of his potential, we'll have the best pass rush in the league (assuming we bring AJ back).
AJ is a pass rusher too now? Man he's hardcore if he's going iron man.

jk I know you meant MJ.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Cincinnati Bengals DE/LB Brandon Joiner, signed by the club following the 2012 NFL draft, was released from prison this week.

You know the story of Brandon Joiner. We've talked about it several times throughout last year.

Following the 2012 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals signed undrafted free agent linebacker Brandon Joiner out of Arkansas State. Joiner, who ran a 4.84 during his March 27, 2012 Pro Day, was named the Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year in 2011, leading the league with 12 quarterback sacks. He also generated at least a partial sack in 10 of 12 games during his final collegiate season. Joiner was also named to the All-Sun Belt Conference First-Team, ranked second in the league with an average 1.29 tackles-for-loss per game.

On May 25, 2012, Joiner was sentenced to three years in prison after being indicted on two counts of aggravated robbery and felony drug possession. Joiner's lawyer said at the time of his client's conviction that he expects Joiner to be released on parole at some point late last year. Cincinnati, who were impressed enough with a dramatic character turn-around after the incident five years ago to sign him, announced that they were retaining his rights, meaning that when he's out and instated by the league office, Joiner is back in Cincinnati when his one-year contract would finally kick in.

He learned before Thanksgiving that he'd been paroled. Now he's out.

According to KDHNNews.com, Joiner was released from prison on Tuesday, serving nearly eight months at the Hutchins State Jail in Dallas.

Now with a full offseason to prepare for the 2013 season he can unleash the fiery on opposing quarterbacks next season

Thats one quality I love about Mike Brown, he is forgiving and always gives people a 2nd chance. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance (outside of rape/murder), and Brown has at times been TOO forgiving, but it has paid off as often as it has bit us in the arse. I was not always a fan of Mike Browns the businessman, but I have always been a fan of Mike Brown the person. Kudos to you mike!

Also, about joiner, I sure hope he stayed in shape in there and makes the best of his chance here with our bengals! Whodey
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 75

Quote:
I absolutely love your story. Far too often there are people who get turned down by jobs and society that they feel they have no other option than to do those things that got them into prison in the first place. Although in dayton, there is a homeless shelter and a lot of resources to get people on track. In fact a lot of people who are released from the prison are brought there. Some choose to screw up, some choose to change their life, some try to change but no one gives them a shot

I for one have never done much time, I did 43 days as a minor. I then wound up on the wrong path in life, which is nobodies fault but my own. I chose to treat my injuries myself, after the emergency room would not give me anything for the gut wrenching pain I was going through, and after 3 days not sleeping from such pain, I chose to buy pain pills on the street. A few vicodins here and there turned into percocets, and then oxycontin, and eventually, heroin. Before I knew it I was hustling every day to support my $100/day habit. I never stole from my family, never robbed or ripped anyone off, but I had my ways of making money, Every day was a struggle, waking up in withdrawls at 4am knowing I had 6 hours until I could do anything about it. It then got to the point where one day I woke up and said I dont want to do this anymore, I want help. 5 years on opiates was enough for me. I finally broke all my needles, did 1 last big shot, 1.4 grams, and woke up 4 hours later with the needle in my arm still. I then went to my girlfriend at the times house, and her son called me da-da. I promised myself once I had kids I would never again stick a needle in my arm. Even when me and her broke up, I kept to my promise. I have now been sober for 2 years in march, the 15th to be exact. But had I been caught with needles and heroin I would be in prison, the worst place for me, instead of out here with my new girlfriend, who herself has 2 daughters, the oldest one we are currently having her tested for autism. I believe god had a plan for me and it wasnt going to prison. Point is, outside of rapists and murderers anyone can change their life around.