Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: What should the Bengals do about the center position?
There is no issue at center, Cook is the man. 7 4.67%
Robinson should start, and Cokk should be the back up. 33 22.00%
Let Cook and Robinson battle it out in camp, and the winner starts. 70 46.67%
Draft a new center, a better player is needed. Include who you want drafted. 37 24.67%
Sign a new center in FA. Include who. you want them to sign. 3 2.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 957

All that needs to be done is a depth chart switch; TR is a starter, move Cook to back up. Done.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7700
Default Re: At center, the Bengals should

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantheraTigrisTigris View Post
J.C. Tretter Cornell Big Red!!

He is in my mock
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 11611

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Lots of opinions about what the Bengals should do for tge center position. Keep Cook, roll with Robinson, draft a back up, etc..

I like Robinson as the starter with Cook as a back up. Robinson showed good strength, playing well, and seemed to improve overall line play down the stretch. Plus he is young and will only get better, stronger, over the next few seasons.
Our poll is based on remembering how an injured Cook played at the end of the year.

Why do we panick? Robinson is a rookie and should get stronger and gained some valuable expereince. He looked good against weak defenses. Cook is solid when healthy.

Let these two battle it out for the starting job. Add Boling into the battle in case Wharton beats out Boling for starting LG position.

Our pressing needs are:

1. #2 receiver (experience needed)
2. LB - both middle and outside
3. Safety
4. Running back (speed guy durable enough to play all 3 downs) - will be hard to find

I hope these are our prioroities in free agency and then the draft early.
Round 3 - AJ McCarron - 6'3" 220

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
I wasn't sure about Cook the season before last, now I'm pretty sure he's not the answer ! Draft Jones or Frederick and let Robinson and whomever battle it out.

We can't have the pocket getting shoved back in Andy's face on every pass play.
I save all the Bengals games. In the past week, I have watched them all again.

Rarely in non passing situations did our OL not perform well. Rarely, did I see the pocket pushed back into Andy.

This is what I did see. Andy became a statue in the pocket. He went to a spot and stood there versus moving back, up, or side to side a step or so. He made himself an easy target.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19839
bengals Re: At center, the Bengals should

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Are you changing your opinion on this issue?
Not sure what you mean? I do not hate Cook like many others but I also believe in competition. If Frederick came in and won the job then I am all for it.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Our poll is based on remembering how an injured Cook played at the end of the year.

Why do we panick? Robinson is a rookie and should get stronger and gained some valuable expereince. He looked good against weak defenses. Cook is solid when healthy.

Let these two battle it out for the starting job. Add Boling into the battle in case Wharton beats out Boling for starting LG position.

Our pressing needs are:

3. Safety
4. Running back (speed guy durable enough to play all 3 downs) - will be hard to find

We have a MLB. His name is Vontaze Burfict.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
We have a MLB. His name is Vontaze Burfict.
We said the same thing about Rey M. when he played outside backer until Jones left.

How did that work out?

Toast Jones
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
We said the same thing about Rey M. when he played outside backer until Jones left.

How did that work out?
Burfict would have never sniffed the WLB position if Howard had not been injured so no sense in acting like it was the plan. Not too mention, Rey played as bad at SLB as he played in the middle which is why many used the "natural" position argument when people started getting down on the play of Rey.

Now just the absolute opposite Burfict played very well as a fill in WLB. The comparison is pointless.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:

How did that work out?
If Rey had played as well on the outside as Burfict, you argument might be valid. I seem to remember it being maybe he'll be better when he moves inside.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
If Rey had played as well on the outside as Burfict, you argument might be valid. I seem to remember it being maybe he'll be better when he moves inside.
Exactly!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Burfict would have never sniffed the WLB position if Howard had not been injured so no sense in acting like it was the plan. Not too mention, Rey played as bad at SLB as he played in the middle which is why many used the "natural" position argument when people started getting down on the play of Rey.

Now just the absolute opposite Burfict played very well as a fill in WLB. The comparison is pointless.
I think Rey played worse when he moved inside if that was possible.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:

Our pressing needs are:

3. Safety

I'm fed up with people saying we need a number 2 receiver in the first.The Saints,Broncos,Patriots Niner's ,Texans all win without a #2 star wr.It takes a couple of years for receivers to get settled in except on rare occasions.This team hasn't had 2 good safeties in a long time and we need to take a top tier one and not another average one.I say pick 1 and 2a and 2b should be lb , s , c .Then in 3 and 4 go rb and receiver or another lb.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Exactly!
I hope you guys are correct. I like Burfict and did from day one. I just happen to believe Zimmer's scheme calls for a bigger and slower type MLB creating issues in coverage for guys like Rey and Burfict. Believe me, I hope I am wrong and Burfict does not become the new whipping boy on defense in 2013.

Toast Jones
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
I'm fed up with people saying we need a number 2 receiver in the first.The Saints,Broncos,Patriots Niner's ,Texans all win without a #2 star wr.It takes a couple of years for receivers to get settled in except on rare occasions.This team hasn't had 2 good safeties in a long time and we need to take a top tier one and not another average one.I say pick 1 and 2a and 2b should be lb , s , c .Then in 3 and 4 go rb and receiver or another lb.
I said experienced receiver needed and not a rookie. I want a FA vet receiver. Read my post again before going off on me.

Toast Jones
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1138

When healthy Cook played well. He earned the contract that was given. If he can show up at training camp back to his 2011 form, he will be the starter. If not then it's an open competition.

Last edited by cphilz85; 01-28-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I hope you guys are correct. I like Burfict and did from day one. I just happen to believe Zimmer's scheme calls for a bigger and slower type MLB creating issues in coverage for guys like Rey and Burfict. Believe me, I hope I am wrong and Burfict does not become the new whipping boy on defense in 2013.
I don't think any coach wants a big slow MLB.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

We should draft Barrett Jones. I'm with Gruden when he said there isn't really a huge difference between Robinson & Cook. Jones shows he can block well & shows awareness of where to block.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16640

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilz85 View Post
When healthy Cook played well. He earned the contract that was given. If he can show up at training camp back to his 2011 form, he will be the starter. If not then it's an open competition.
Cook did not look good. The Guards next to him just looked even worse.
Several of us on this board complained about Cook being pushed back and collapsing the pocket against big 3-4 NT. Cook was said to be the strongest guy on the team, but has always looked to be weak at the point of attack.

This was his year to prove he could be good, with two good Guards next to him. Then Cook stunk when he got playing time. It was the same Cook, being lost when calling protections, not picking up the late blitzers, and looking weak at the point of attack.

Robinson looked good for a UDF rookie. He did not appear to have enough strength, but used good technique even against bigger stronger NT. Robinson outplayed Cook, and the entire O line looked better with Robinson at Center.

That said I still want to draft a top notch Center, but I want him, Cook, and Robinson to battle it out in camp. If it is close give it to the best younger player as they will improve with time, and Cook is at his max. If Robinson and the Rookie look better than Cook, cut him, or trade him.

I don't see Cook out playing Robinson, let alone a top notch rookie.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

If they could get Travis ? from Wisocnsin in the mid to later rounds, he would be a nice versative addition that could eventually start at C or G IMO. I want to see if Cook can really beat out Robinson in preseason.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 39892

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
If they could get Travis ? from Wisocnsin in the mid to later rounds, he would be a nice versative addition that could eventually start at C or G IMO. I want to see if Cook can really beat out Robinson in preseason.

You do realize that Travis Frederick is the #2 rated Center prospect, and has a 2nd round grade, right?

Highly unlikely that he will be available in the mid to later rounds.

If the Bengals like him, 2A may be their best chance. If he's there at 2B, it's a no-brainer.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 200

Wouldn't mind drafting Jonathan Cooper out of UNC. He played guard at UNC but it's widely believed he would excel at both guard or center. Scouts have said he's the most athletic guard in this years draft. Not sure I would want to use our 1st on him but if he's there at 37 I would welcome him with open arms.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
You do realize that Travis Frederick is the #2 rated Center prospect, and has a 2nd round grade, right?

If the Bengals like him, 2A may be their best chance. If he's there at 2B, it's a no-brainer.

Travis Fredrick is not very good. Barrett Jones on the other hand is going to be an above average center. We could get Jones with our 2A or possibly our 2B pick.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Travis Fredrick is not very good. Barrett Jones on the other hand is going to be an above average center. We could get Jones with our 2A or possibly our 2B pick.
So please explain how Frederick is "not very good".
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

Go get SOMEBODY in this draft and allow all of them to battle for the starting position.Its a problem that needs addressed.Cook struggled and had major problems with pass rushes. I do not want to see our line get man-handled again this upcoming season.Without a solid line to block and handle the running game, we are going nowhere. Its a big problem that MUST BE ADDRESSED.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3092

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxfan26 View Post
All that needs to be done is a depth chart switch; TR is a starter, move Cook to back up. Done.
That all sounds well and good, but we are paying Cook starters money through 2015.