Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6413
Default Here Is Why Bengals Need A WR With A Top Pick

AJ Green is double covered and will continue to be double covered until they get a WR of equal talent. ....That means no play-off wins until they do this....and maybe no play-offs at all....

What is the sound of one hand clapping ???.......Thats the sound of just having one good WR..

Sanu is a question mark.....Jones is only playable.....Hawkins is way too small.....all together these 3 are not the answer to taking the double team off of Green......We can not assume any of these 3 are the answer and to do so is to be in denial of how awful we are at WR.

In 1981 we combined Issac Curtis with Collinsworth and went Super Bowl.....the Steelers had Swann and Stallworth....The Raiders had Belitnikoff and Branch......49ers had Rice and that other good WR ......IF WE get another top WR on the field with AJ Green, then Super Bowl becomes very possible because defenses will have a hard time covering both and TE Gresham.

but if we continue to go with Green double covered and this collection of Sanu, Jones and Hawkins...then don't expect that long awaited play-off win and forget about Super Bowls. ....Jones and Hawkins ain't got it....maybe Sanu might, but don't put all your eggs in the Sanu basket. If Sanu comes on, then we would have 3 great WRs and impossible to beat.

Draft a top WR to take the double team off of AJ Green.....You hit them with the left and the right....teams like Houston can't give Green the all game double team then....As good as Michael Jordan was, he couldn't win until they got Pippen and other good players.....AJ Green can't win until we have another good WR close or equal to his talent....If we had two WRs like AJ Green, then double covering one of them would leave the other wide open. It would force single coverage on both and you can't single cover Green without getting burned. Either way, WE WIN !!!!

Now there are other positions with needs on this team.....but if we had talent at all the other positions, we still can't win a play-off game until we can play a play-off team without Green being double covered and having another great WR to throw to.

Now I have no idea who will be on the boards when we pick in the late middle of round 1, but if a top pick WR is still on the board, we need him....if not, we need a top free agent.....it is time to get serious about winning in the play-offs or else just quit talking about winning in the play-offs. In that case, just put the cheapest team on the field, go 2-14 and let Mike Brown make alot of money with low player salaries...Me, I'm hoping we shoot for winning.

Last edited by kevin; 01-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 192
Default Re: Here Is Why Bengals Need A WR With A Top Pick

If we trade our 1st and both 2nds and move up to the top 10 we can prolly get DeAndre Hopkins. Then a couble of RB's and maybe a S in the 3rd on down. If this team does FA the way they should this draft can be about just a few skill positions.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
AJ Green is double covered and will continue to be double covered until they get a WR of equal talent. ....That means no play-off wins until they do this....and maybe no play-offs at all....

What is the sound of one hand clapping ???.......Thats the sound of just having one good WR..

Sanu is a question mark.....Jones is only playable.....Hawkins is way too small.....all together these 3 are not the answer to taking the double team off of Green......We can not assume any of these 3 are the answer and to do so is to be in denial of how awful we are at WR.

In 1981 we combined Issac Curtis with Collinsworth and went Super Bowl.....the Steelers had Swann and Stallworth....The Raiders had Belitnikoff and Branch......49ers had Rice and that other good WR ......IF WE get another top WR on the field with AJ Green, then Super Bowl becomes very possible because defenses will have a hard time covering both and TE Gresham.

but if we continue to go with Green double covered and this collection of Sanu, Jones and Hawkins...then don't expect that long awaited play-off win and forget about Super Bowls. ....Jones and Hawkins ain't got it....maybe Sanu might, but don't put all your eggs in the Sanu basket. If Sanu comes on, then we would have 3 great WRs and impossible to beat.

Draft a top WR to take the double team off of AJ Green.....You hit them with the left and the right....teams like Houston can't give Green the all game double team then....As good as Michael Jordan was, he couldn't win until they got Pippen and other good players.....AJ Green can't win until we have another good WR close or equal to his talent....If we had two WRs like AJ Green, then double covering one of them would leave the other wide open. It would force single coverage on both and you can't single cover Green without getting burned. Either way, WE WIN !!!!

Now there are other positions with needs on this team.....but if we had talent at all the other positions, we still can't win a play-off game until we can play a play-off team without Green being double covered and having another great WR to throw to.

Now I have no idea who will be on the boards when we pick in the late middle of round 1, but if a top pick WR is still on the board, we need him....if not, we need a top free agent.....it is time to get serious about winning in the play-offs or else just quit talking about winning in the play-offs. In that case, just put the cheapest team on the field, go 2-14 and let Mike Brown make alot of money with low player salaries...Me, I'm hoping we shoot for winning.
In '88, the Bengals had Brown and McGee. Duper and Clayton. Carter and Moss. Fitz and Boldin. Many many examples.You gotta have two. If you don't, it kills your offense unless you can create an offense that can work around it.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm226 View Post
If we trade our 1st and both 2nds and move up to the top 10 we can prolly get DeAndre Hopkins. Then a couble of RB's and maybe a S in the 3rd on down. If this team does FA the way they should this draft can be about just a few skill positions.
DeAndre Hopkins isn't going in the top 10 and we wouldn't trade up for a WR anyways.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17935

Quote:
If this guy doesn't walk on water, that's a pretty heavy price. If it was the last missing piece, it might be different. Too much talent in the second to give up two picks in that round, imo.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 439

Quote:
That trade would set this franchise back years especially when a player like Hopkins can be had in rounds 2,3,4 or even 5.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16541

Have you never seen Sanu?

Watch these and tell me that you don't think he can take the top off of defenses.

Furthermore, if we don't get an upgrade early to compete at center (Jones), then it won't matter because Dalton won't have time to let them go deep.

If we don't find a running back that can break the big play, it won't matter if we have two receivers to take the top off because they'll be able to keep both safeties back.

We don't need a receiver.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 214
bengals Re: Here Is Why Bengals Need A WR With A Top Pick

Quote:

I agree that the Bengals need to find a viable #2 WR across from AJ...in the draft, viable FA or step up the development on Marvin Jones.

Sanu is a slot WR and will be an above average one...practically ran 85% of his plays @ Rutgers in the slot.

The other good WR across from Rice was John Taylor, who would've been the #1 on most other teams
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasf316 View Post
I agree that the Bengals need to find a viable #2 WR across from AJ...in the draft, viable FA or step up the development on Marvin Jones.

Sanu is a slot WR and will be an above average one...practically ran 85% of his plays @ Rutgers in the slot.

The other good WR across from Rice was John Taylor, who would've been the #1 on most other teams
I'm sorry. Did you just say that name...?

I'm on board with getting another talent across from A.J.

My favorite candidate is Justin Hunter. Same body and hands as A.J. but just a tad
slower. And we can get him with either our 2 second rounders.
It seems like for each year Dalton has played, he gained one piece to the puzzle
Obviously Green in 11 with Gresh already there
And Hawkins and Sanu fill out the slots, but has yet to consistently play with a reliable #2
let this be the year with which that hole gets put to rest.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post

Watch these and tell me that you don't think he can take the top off of defenses.

Furthermore, if we don't get an upgrade early to compete at center (Jones), then it won't matter because Dalton won't have time to let them go deep.

If we don't find a running back that can break the big play, it won't matter if we have two receivers to take the top off because they'll be able to keep both safeties back.

Yea because we only get 1 draft pick and 0 free agents right?

Sanu looked great in the few games he played but if we could get a guy like Greg Jennings in FA or a Hopkins/Hunter type guy in round 2 of the draft we should. Same thing happened last year, Mays was the answer at SS so we passed over that spot, Im sick of hoping our guys finally step up and if we can upgrade a spot then do it instead of hoping and waiting around. Not to mention a position like WR is different than say SS because we can have 3-4 guys on the field at a time, can you honestly say youd rather have AJ - Sanu - Jones over AJ - Jennings/Hunter - Sanu?

We could easily get everything we need this offseason.

FA : SS, SLB

First 3 picks get a WLB, WR, and RB. Maybe swap out the RB with a OC and grab the RB in round 3, although I think they feel like Cook coming in healthy will solve that problem even if I dont agree.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:

I love the people that come on here and know if a player has the skill to be good.I guess you're a scout or coach.The truth is it takes a couple of years for most wr's to become something.I say again Julio Jones and Torry Smith didn't do much of anything there first year.I say stop acting like a coach and knowing how good someone is.TJ Houshmandzadeh helped take pressure off Chad so don't act like you need 2 stars at receiver to win.The OL needs to play better than it did in the playoff game and the defense needs to stop giving up 100 yard rushers in the playoffs.I also say Gresham needs to stop dropping easy balls.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19904

Quote:

Too many people got spoiled by AJ. In general WRs do not make impacts as rookies. AJ and Calvin are the exceptions not the rule. So you draft another WR early and are right where you were with Sanu and Jones.

Speaking of Sanu and Jones .....I am certainly glad many on these boards are not in charge of personnel decisions or we would do nothing but rotate rookies. Amazing how some already have the careers of Sanu and Jones already mapped out and defined. Someone should probably contact them and the team and let them know what these guys are nothing more than backups and never will be more so they can stop working so hard to improve.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
I love the people that come on here and know if a player has the skill to be good.I guess you're a scout or coach.The truth is it takes a couple of years for most wr's to become something.I say again Julio Jones and Torry Smith didn't do much of anything there first year.I say stop acting like a coach and knowing how good someone is.TJ Houshmandzadeh helped take pressure off Chad so don't act like you need 2 stars at receiver to win.The OL needs to play better than it did in the playoff game and the defense needs to stop giving up 100 yard rushers in the playoffs.I also say Gresham needs to stop dropping easy balls.
Some people do actually get it.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18784

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post

From what I hear, Jones has problems against bigger Dlinemen. I think Frederick might be a better pick. Jones might be able to get stronger, but the NFL features HUGE guys in the middle of the DLine. Hampton and Ngata are just two examples. Frederick matches up better at this point.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

How would Taylor have been without Rice across from him?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Was TJ a slot receiver to you?

85% of his snaps at Rutgers from the slot? Have you got a link to this information? I was under the impression he took snaps from virtually every receiver position.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2882

I think we are going to give Sanu/Jones a full year next year to see what they can do. If they turn out to be another Binns/Tate, then we will address it next year. Same thing goes with Cook/Robinson.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
I think we are going to give Sanu/Jones a full year next year to see what they can do. If they turn out to be another Binns/Tate, then we will address it next year. Same thing goes with Cook/Robinson.
This the worst strategy that you could possibly use. You can't go into a season hoping that guys will develop. You are going to waste a season by not putting the best talent on the field. This type of thinking will lead us again to the following types of situations:

Our SS for the last 5 years
Ghiacuc at C
Livings at OG
Simpson at WR

The longer you keep a project around, the harder it is to replace them. There is nothing wrong with having another high pick at WR. You can easily use 3 or 4 WR sets and get them all involved.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBuckeye View Post
Great pts.

To those that think we need another WR in the draft.........you don't know what your talking about. 95% of drafted WR take longer than a year to develop, so drafting a WR won't help.

How did Chad Johnson do his first year????? He ended up pretty Damn well AFTER he developed!!!!!! Point is, we gotta give these young guys a year or 2 to develop.......I know it ***** and we want another AJ Green, but those guys just don't come along every year........patience is key when talking Wrs
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

Issac Curtis caught 37 balls and 2 TDs in 81 good for 600 yards. He was on the downside. I think Sanu catches more than that next season. Draft a speed guy late and hope he developes, but other than that, I'm good with Jones and Sanu
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
This the worst strategy that you could possibly use. You can't go into a season hoping that guys will develop. You are going to waste a season by not putting the best talent on the field. This type of thinking will lead us again to the following types of situations:

Ghiacuc at C
Livings at OG
Simpson at WR

The longer you keep a project around, the harder it is to replace them. There is nothing wrong with having another high pick at WR. You can easily use 3 or 4 WR sets and get them all involved.
Just because you draft a WR high doens't mean he becomes a star. Look at SF's 1st rd pick out of Illinois this year. I don't know if the kid had any catches. David Verser was a high 1st rd pic years ago and was a toal flop. Sanu and Jones did well in limited play. They will get better next year.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Was TJ a slot receiver to you?

85% of his snaps at Rutgers from the slot? Have you got a link to this information? I was under the impression he took snaps from virtually every receiver position.
Yes...TJ had his best seasons when he played mostly outta the slot...

I am a Rutger's alum...have watched Sanu for years...but to appease the non-believers, I'll find a link, but for now read this predraft spot on him from CBS sports: "While Sanu lacks the elite timed speed to leaves scouts gasping he does possess an exciting blend of size, strength and natural open field running skills. Possessing the size to contribute at split end as well as the savvy route-running and courage to attack defenses from the slot, Sanu is better prepared than most collegiate receivers to make the NFL jump." Furthermore, look at Sanu's last year @ Rutger's...115 recs 1200yds 10.5 yds per catch...those manifest from playing in the slot primarily...yes he was moved around, but I did say he played about 85% in the slot...proof is in the stats.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664646

Last edited by chasf316; 01-27-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post

Ghiacuc at C
Livings at OG
Simpson at WR

If this is the worst strategy ever then why didn't Atlanta draft or sign a top WR this past year when Julio Jones didn't dominate his rookie year?????

It's because coaches know what they are doing and a reason why your just a fan. You would of signed Mike Wallace cause you didn't want to let Julio develop huh??? It's obviously not the dumbest strategy ever.......

Just sayin.....
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes...TJ had his best seasons when he played mostly outta the slot...

I am a Rutger's alum...have watched Sanu for years...but to appease the non-believers, I'll find a link, but for now read this predraft spot on him from CBS sports: "While Sanu lacks the elite timed speed to leaves scouts gasping he does possess an exciting blend of size, strength and natural open field running skills. Possessing the size to contribute at split end as well as the savvy route-running and courage to attack defenses from the slot, Sanu is better prepared than most collegiate receivers to make the NFL jump." Furthermore, look at Sanu's last year @ Rutger's...115 recs 1200yds 10.5 yds per catch...those manifest from playing in the slot primarily...yes he was moved around, but I did say he played about 85% in the slot...proof is in the stats.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664646
There were pre-draft reports that said MJ had motor problems and that Geno was to small to be a dominant every down DT.

I will give you he played many snaps from the slot his senior season but pretty sure that was not the case in others seasons.

So even if TJ's best season who was on the field with CJ when they were in fwo WR sets?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Part of me thinks the coaches will focus more on upgrades at safety, linebacker, and running back than WR. We'll probably even see a CB drafted ahead of WR.

But then I think about the problems of our offense. In my view, fixing the O starts with a serious eval of the OLine. We gave up too many sacks last year. I know we have Wharton coming back, and Robinson will be in year 2. So, that perplexes me.

WR's the same. Sanu and Jones enter year 2. Do they catch fire? I REALLY want DeAndre Hopkins or Q. Patton or T. King, but I' not sure.

Where do we KNOW we have glaring deficiencies? We can't cover a TE to save our damn lives. Safety and LB have to be priority. Maybin's not known for coverage skills. He's an edge rusher.

That brings us to RB. Law Firm was pretty good last year but do we like the idea of drafting a Lacy, Franklin, Micahel, or Ball? We know they want a change of pace back, like K. Williams or Barner.

After S, LB, & RB, everything else sounds like we take BPAs for depth. Just my hunch.