Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2228
Default Ed Reed not retiring

t would seemingly be the perfect way for a distinguished football career to end: Ed Reed returning to his home state of Louisiana and hoisting the Lombardi Trophy for the first time.

Reed, however, has never been conventional on or off the field.

“I’ll be playing next year if that’s what you are all asking, so next question,” Reed said.

As his long-time teammate Ray Lewis prepares for his final game on Feb.3 in Super Bowl XLVII against the San Francisco 49ers at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Reed announced his intention Thursday to play beyond this season. Until Thursday, the veteran safety has been noncommittal about his future, saying that he’ll make a decision following the season.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-safety-ed-reed-not-planning-to-retire-after-season-20130124,0,4425577.story
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8234
Default Re: Ed Reed not retiring

That is pretty shocking, I figured he would cash in his chips after the Super Bowl. He must truly love his job, and he's still one of the best,imo.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18052

While I admire his heart and his play. I wonder if he can stay healthy?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13200

He will be 35 in week two of next season, and we all know that he has not been the same player for the last couple years. He has over 60 INT for over 1,500 yards. Reed has scored a total of 13 touchdowns in his career—3 blocked punts, 1 punt return, 2 fumble returns and 7 interception returns. He gets overshadowed by Ray, but Reed has had every bit as stunning a career.

But I doubt he will still be a Raven next season. He wants another payday but he won't get it from the Ravens.

You don't land big money as a Free Safety at Ed's age, who has a nerve impingement an opts to avoid contact. This, and the fact that Ed will be 35 in September will impact his ability to get anything resembling big money that is guaranteed by any team. It's also doubtful Ed would consider any team other team that isn't a major SB contender. And those teams won't back up the brinks truck.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post
He will be 35 in week two of next season, and we all know that he has not been the same player for the last couple years. He has over 60 INT for over 1,500 yards. Reed has scored a total of 13 touchdowns in his career—3 blocked punts, 1 punt return, 2 fumble returns and 7 interception returns. He gets overshadowed by Ray, but Reed has had every bit as stunning a career.

But I doubt he will still be a Raven next season. He wants another payday but he won't get it from the Ravens.

You don't land big money as a Free Safety at Ed's age, who has a nerve impingement an opts to avoid contact. This, and the fact that Ed will be 35 in September will impact his ability to get anything resembling big money that is guaranteed by any team. It's also doubtful Ed would consider any team other team that isn't a major SB contender. And those teams won't back up the brinks truck.
Maybe he will take the hometown discount?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Ed Reed not retiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post

I'd take him on one leg, over what we have now.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

I doubt he takes a hometown discount. He wants a Big payday. 3 years ago The Ravens let R Lewis test the market but at his age and point in his career there wasn't a lot of takers and he came back and signed with the Ravens. Doubt Reed does the same.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26094

There are a lot of teams out there with young secondaries who would benefit by signing Ed Reed for a one year deal. However, I'm not sure he wants to end his career on a rebuilding team.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

True.....
He wants a multi year deal. I doubt he accepts a one year deal or go to a team that is not a contender.
Another issue with Reed is that he has no agent. And under the C A teams can't negotiate unless a player has representation.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8234

Talk before the Pro-Bowl was that New England may be interested in him.