Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12708
Default Re: Cedric Benson

It even has a sentence about it on Ceds wikipedia page.

It was game 7 in 2008 and Bensons very first start as Bengal.

Last edited by Go Cards; 01-27-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31662

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Eddie George?

Ced averaged 4.2 YPC in 2009. A feat Eddie never achieved in his entire career.
We just went over the two halves of George's career. He had a good 5 years, then he completely fell off due to usage.

Benson's career has been consistently mediocre in Chicago, here and GB.

As for 2009, that was a good year for Ced. The only good year he had here. And he did it with 6 linemen.

Also, again, can you name a RB other than George?

I never felt that dude was as good as his rep, and I've already said that he was pretty bad in his last 4 years.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
We just went over the two halves of George's career. He had a good 5 years, then he completely fell off due to usage.

Benson's career has been consistently mediocre in Chicago, here and GB.

As for 2009, that was a good year for Ced. The only good year he had here. And he did it with 6 linemen.

Also, again, can you name a RB other than George?

I never felt that dude was as good as his rep, and I've already said that he was pretty bad in his last 4 years.
Dude, I answer your questions but you don't like the answers. In the years you suggest we take out of George's carrer and compare to Ced, Eddie is still only marginally better (3.9 v. 3.8 YPC). Can I take out Ced's 1st year here where he came in off the streets. Can I take out 2010 when the whole team was a train wreck?

As to other RBs: Jerome Bettis averaged 3.9 YPC in his career, as did our own Rudi Johnson.

I get it. I can't use Eddie and if I do I can't use some of his career
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
It even has a sentence about it on Ceds wikipedia page.

It was game 7 in 2008 and Bensons very first start as Bengal.
I have no doubt I saw it, it was a thing of beauty. It just seems all video evidence of the play has been erased.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
This debate took over another thread, so I thought I start one to discuss the issue at hand.

During his tenure here he rushed for over a 1000 yards in 3 consecutive seasons; a feat only matched by CJ2K, MJD, Ray Rice, and Steven Jackson in the same timeframe.

Keep in mind during Ced's tenure here we only ranked above 16th in passing yards once. So it wasn't like defenses had to play the pass.
Pretty sad to think how bad our HB position has been since Rudi left..

If you have to keep raving about and commending a guy who gained 4176 rushing yards over 4 years on 1109 carries with 21 TDS as one of the rare feature backs in the NFL you know your run game has been sub par for far too long.

He was mediocre at best. That is about the minimum acceptable production level for a back given his workload over that time period.

I mean what do you want to hear? He was durable, and that is appreciated. But other than that he was a whiner who played terribly inconsistent, wasn't explosive, often times only got the yards that were blocked, offered little in the pass game, and obviously only gave 100% in the games he chose to do so.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Dude, I answer your questions but you don't like the answers. In the years you suggest we take out of George's carrer and compare to Ced, Eddie is still only marginally better (3.9 v. 3.8 YPC). Can I take out Ced's 1st year here where he came in off the streets. Can I take out 2010 when the whole team was a train wreck?

As to other RBs: Jerome Bettis averaged 3.9 YPC in his career, as did our own Rudi Johnson.

I get it. I can't use Eddie and if I do I can't use some of his career
Ok. So you've still only got Eddie George, who obviously fell off after his first 5 years. Bettis and Rudi still have a higher career YPC, no?

Btw, if you were to take out the unimpressive years of Ced's career, there wouldn't be much left. He was good in 2009 and average in 2011. Most of his other years, he was right at or around 3.5 per carry.

That includes Chicago (where he was outplayed by Thomas Jones) and Green Bay, as well as '08 and '10 here. I guess you could make excuses for him with all 3 teams. Or you could just see him for what he was. Mediocre.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-27-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Ok. So you've still only got Eddie George, who obviously fell off after his first 5 years. Bettis and Rudi still have a higher career YPC, no?

You are correct a 3.9 YPC career can in no way be compared to a 3.8 YPC career.

Btw, if you were to take out the unimpressive years of Ced's career, there wouldn't be much left. He was good in 2009 and average in 2011. Most of his other years, he was right at or around 3.5 per carry.

Ced averaged over 4 YPC 2 of his 3 years in Chicago

I guess you could make excuses for him with all 3 teams. Or you could just see him for what he was. Mediocre.

You'd have to show me where I have made "excuses" for Ced. Seems the "Eddie fell off after his first 5 years" crowd and that's the only reason he has a lower career YPC are the ones coming up with "excuses"
Ced did a fine job for us while he was here. Folks can be mad and say it was mediocre or worse and their minds will not be changed. They will even try to bring up his performance outside of Cincinnati to show why he was so bad in Cincinnati.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10407

To simplify Benson was okay and durable. He was the driving force in 2009 when Palmer played poorly down the stretch.

His last two seasons here reminded us why he was run out of Chicago with those ball security issues.

The main thing most people remember of Benson is when you needed that yard or two to convert a crucial 3rd or even 4th down. It didn't happen more times than not.

That is not all on Benson. Between the line and a coach that calls a play that starts him way behind the line wasn't doing him any favors either. Not to mention the shaky passing game.

Sadly that is what most people will remember of him here. Not being able to get those conversions.

He possibly could have had a decent last season here if not for being yanked to give Bernard Scott more carries. Since we all know that Benson always improved YPC by more carries in a game.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

There was about a year span where Benson was playing at near MVP level. He was getting some praise. Then he got hurt at the end of that season.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133

Quote:
George's 1st 5 seasons in the league he still averaged under 4 YPC. During that thime he averaged 3.9 YPC, Ced averaged 3.8 YPC while here. Not sure what else I can do for you to show they were very similar.

Only difference is Eddie got what Ced wanted; more carries. Eddie's 1st 5 years in the league he averaged 353 carries per year while Ced only averaged 298 per year in his 3 full seasons with the Bengals.
Well, I think it's a little more complicated...George also had more TDs and more receiving yards, for example. In any case, I don't want to have a big argument about George because I think - although you're right that few people probably called him "mediocre" - I think most people agreed that Eddie George was solid and dependable, not a flashy, mega-talented big-play guy who was a threat to take it to the house on any play. And, yes, his numbers reflect that.

Ced did good work for us. We signed him off the street when we were desperate for a RB and he played hard and did good work for us. I just never thought he was that great as a RB ... he wasn't good at making defenders miss in the open field, he seemed to have poor balance and get knocked off his feet too easily for a big man and he brought little as a receiving threat because he just wasn't natural and fluid in coming out of the backfield to catch the ball. He could run well in a straight line, so given a hole and a head of steam he produced useful yardage for us. But, he was the kind of back who made it relatively easy for defenses to prepare for since he didn't offer much versatility. Ced was a useful stop-gap, nothing more IMO, and we certainly stuck with him past his sell-by date.

Last edited by Ryan Mc; 01-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 122

The guy had the lowest YPC in the league for 3-5 seasons didn't he? He was bad, only reason he got to over 1000 YDs those years is because he touched the ball 25-30 times a game.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 957

I missed the point in the opening comment, and skipped to the end...so tell me again why we're discussing Benson?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxfan26 View Post
I missed the point in the opening comment, and skipped to the end...so tell me again why we're discussing Benson?
Cause we are discussing his performance while he was here. Do you have anything to add to the discussion?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

I was a fan of Benson while he was here.
Would I want him back? Only if it meant BenGreen was shown the door. He's twice the running back that guy is .
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

1. You are correct a 3.9 YPC career can in no way be compared to a 3.8 YPC career.

2. Ced averaged over 4 YPC 2 of his 3 years in Chicago

3. Ced did a fine job for us while he was here. Folks can be mad and say it was mediocre or worse and their minds will not be changed. They will even try to bring up his performance outside of Cincinnati to show why he was so bad in Cincinnati.
1. I'm glad we can agree that 3.9 > 3.77. Especially when you consider that both Rudi and Bettis had obvious points in their careers where they fell off. Benson never fell off, he just stayed consistently mediocre (other than 2009).

2. I stand corrected. So Benson has only averaged 3.5 per carry (or less) in 4 of his 8 seasons. So 50% of the time, he's been better than terrible.

3. Ced did a fine (actually a very good) job for us in 2009.

In 2008, he averaged 3.5 per carry. Not a fine job.
In 2010, he averaged 3.5 per carry with 7 fumbles. Not a fine job.
In 2011, he averaged 3.9 per carry with 5 fumbles. Kind of an average job. Plus he had a terrible game in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
I was a fan of Benson while he was here.
Would I want him back? Only if it meant BenGreen was shown the door. He's twice the running back that guy is .
Benson in 2011: 273-1067-6
BJGE in 2012: 278-1094-6

Their performance is almost identical, except we get less moping and fumbling with BJGE.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-27-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Quote:
1. I'm glad we can agree that 3.9 > 3.77. Especially when you consider that both Rudi and Bettis had obvious points in their careers where they fell off. Benson never fell off, he just stayed consistently mediocre (other than 2009).

2. I stand corrected. So Benson has only averaged 3.5 per carry (or less) in 4 of his 8 seasons. So 50% of the time, he's been better than terrible.

In 2008, he averaged 3.5 per carry. Not a fine job.
In 2010, he averaged 3.5 per carry with 7 fumbles. Not a fine job.
In 2011, he averaged 3.9 per carry with 5 fumbles. Kind of an average job. Plus he had a terrible game in the playoffs.

Their performance is almost identical, except we get less moping and fumbling with BJGE.
The difference is. Benson made people miss, had yards after contact and didn't need a hole big enough for you to run through to gain yardage.
It amazes me how little if an eye for the game you have.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
The difference is. Benson made people miss, had yards after contact and didn't need a hole big enough for you to run through to gain yardage.
It amazes me how little if an eye for the game you have.
Yeah, Benson was a regular Barry Sanders.

When did that dude "make people miss"? That's a joke.

Sounds like you're the one with no eye for the game.

What's amazing is that you think Benson had so much more talent, yet he put up identical numbers with a similar o-line.

Benson may have broken more tackles, I'll give him that, but he was not any faster or shiftier really, and Law Firm is better in short yardage and not taking losses. So it evens out IMO.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-27-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:42 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
1. I'm glad we can agree that 3.9 > 3.77. Especially when you consider that both Rudi and Bettis had obvious points in their careers where they fell off. Benson never fell off, he just stayed consistently mediocre (other than 2009). I see excuses. You're just making yourself look silly extending the YPC out to 1/100th of a yard. 3.9 is similar to 3.8; don't know what else to tell ya.

2. I stand corrected. So Benson has only averaged 3.5 per carry (or less) in 4 of his 8 seasons. So 50% of the time, he's been better than terrible. Like I said, folks will bring up Ced's numbers outside of Cincinnati to try to make his time here look worse.

In 2008, he averaged 3.5 per carry. Not a fine job. The guy he replaced was averaging 2.6 YPC in the exact same situation. Ced instantly made us a better team.

In 2010, he averaged 3.5 per carry with 7 fumbles. Not a fine job. Yep, 2010 was a trainwreck all around. Definately his worst year and was still one of the better players on the team.

In 2011, he averaged 3.9 per carry (Don't you mean 3.9084) with 5 fumbles. Kind of an average job. Plus he had a terrible game in the playoffs. While the rest of the team had a great game

Their performance is almost identical, except we get less moping and fumbling with BJGE.I agree. Ben did a fine job for us at RB last year.
Say what you will, but Ced did something in his 3 years as a full time starter here that only 4 other RBs in the NFL did. Some may call that mediocre or worse; I choose not to.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

1. You're just making yourself look silly extending the YPC out to 1/100th of a yard. 3.9 is similar to 3.8; don't know what else to tell ya.

2. Like I said, folks will bring up Ced's numbers outside of Cincinnati to try to make his time here look worse.

3. The guy he replaced was averaging 2.6 YPC in the exact same situation. Ced instantly made us a better team.

4. Yep, 2010 was a trainwreck all around. Definately his worst year and was still one of the better players on the team.

5. While the rest of the team had a great game

6. I agree. Ben did a fine job for us at RB last year.

Say what you will, but Ced did something in his 3 years as a full time starter here that only 4 other RBs in the NFL did. Some may call that mediocre or worse; I choose not to.
1. You created this thread, so we're tied when it comes to silliness.

2. Benson averaged 3.5 per carry in half his seasons here as well. So at least he was better than terrible in half his seasons here too. See? I don't need his years in Chicago or GB.

3. The guy he replaced was playing in the UFL a year later. Chris Perry was horrible. Benson upgraded us to mediocre/average. Cool I guess.

4. Benson was one of the main reasons that team was terrible. 3.5 per carry (43rd among qualifying players, and dead last among players with at least 200 carries) with 7 fumbles (2nd among backs),

5. The rest of the team stunk. Benson did too.

6. BJGE was mediocre at best this year.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sig by CinWillWin

Last edited by Shake n Blake; 01-27-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 814

Again the middle of our OL Benson's last 2 seasons here was horrible. All RB's would look bad when the entire middle of the line is being shoved into your face.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 24242

At the end of CED's Bengal career he was averaging 2.7 ypc...he was dancing more in the backfield than I have ever seen him do before. Before that he was a worthy/band-aid RB, but honestly, was he ever a first round talent?

Bengals 'rehabbed' him as well, gave him starting props, but even when CED went down with an injury, newly signed Larry Johnson rushed for a 100 yards and then the week before that Bernard Scott had a 100 yard day. The line wasn't always the problem, but they were never the solution either meaning: it can be done, and it was done with other RB(s) that same season. CED had the chances, especially Brat's predictable run, run, pass, punt playbook concepts always worked well in his favor with the carries per game.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16620

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINwillWIN View Post
At the end of CED's Bengal career he was averaging 2.7 ypc...he was dancing more in the backfield than I have ever seen him do before. Before that he was a worthy/band-aid RB, but honestly, was he ever a first round talent?

Bengals 'rehabbed' him as well, gave him starting props, but even when CED went down with an injury, newly signed Larry Johnson rushed for a 100 yards and then the week before that Bernard Scott had a 100 yard day. The line wasn't always the problem, but they were never the solution either meaning: it can be done, and it was done with other RB(s) that same season. CED had the chances, especially Brat's predictable run, run, pass, punt playbook concepts always worked well in his favor with the carries per game.
Very good point.

PS Nice sig!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINwillWIN View Post

To me, that shows that just about any back would've looked good behind that unbalanced line/extra tackle.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9620

Benson was great for a little while but this is a horrible idea. Benson doesn't want to share the ball and he's not good enough to merit most of our carries like AP. It was painfully obvious to most people following Cincinnati that Benson had ran his course his last season here.

And oh yeah he had a season ending injury.

Last edited by ExtraNirvana; 01-28-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19748

Quote:
No doubt. In the last 20 years Ced has given us the best performance of any Bengal.
I liked Cedric, and hated to see him go, but I think you're forgetting about Corey Dillon.....