Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5969
Default What position do you think would improve the most w/out drafting or FA another player

I'm not saying there are any positions we shouldn't draft for or go after big name FAs (well maybe DT) but I'm wondering what position(s) do you think we'll improve at next year with who we currently have. So the question is about players who either weren't healthy (Tony Dye, Jamaal Anderson, Bernard Scott, Mo Sanu, T Wharton, etc.), were developing or weren't able to play for other reasons (Brandon Ghee, S. Praeter, J. Allen, B Joiner) or who did play but might just get better (Andy Dalton, Marvin Jones, Dre Kirk, Boling, T Robinson,).

I know some of these guys might end up cut or not making an impact, but are there any more Geno Atkins' on our roster (Geno sat his first year and I don't think many fans knew what we had in him during that time).
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711
Default Re: What position do you think would improve the most w/out drafting or FA another pl

This is kind of a tough question.

Kirkpatrick at CB should improve that position a lot.

Wharton is another one as he is a road grader in the running game.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 46912
Default Re: What position do you think would improve the most w/out drafting or FA another pl

Easy, Defensive Tackle.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5969

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Easy, Defensive Tackle.
My response here is, DT is already a pretty big strength of this team, which makes it hard to improve on. Do you think we have even more room to grow at this position? Are you saying Thompson or Still are going to come alive and really contribute in a big way, or Peko or Sims are going to make the pro-bowl along with Geno next year?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8199
bengals Re: What position do you think would improve the most w/out drafting or FA another pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
I'm not saying there are any positions we shouldn't draft for or go after big name FAs (well maybe DT) but I'm wondering what position(s) do you think we'll improve at next year with who we currently have. So the question is about players who either weren't healthy (Tony Dye, Jamaal Anderson, Bernard Scott, Mo Sanu, T Wharton, etc.), were developing or weren't able to play for other reasons (Brandon Ghee, S. Praeter, J. Allen, B Joiner) or who did play but might just get better (Andy Dalton, Marvin Jones, Dre Kirk, Boling, T Robinson,).

I know some of these guys might end up cut or not making an impact, but are there any more Geno Atkins' on our roster (Geno sat his first year and I don't think many fans knew what we had in him during that time).
Easiest question possible... MLB. They'll be replacing the worst starter on their team (Maualuga) with someone good (hello Mr Burfict).

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 93-91-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
My response here is, DT is already a pretty big strength of this team, which makes it hard to improve on. Do you think we have even more room to grow at this position? Are you saying Thompson or Still are going to come alive and really contribute in a big way, or Peko or Sims are going to make the pro-bowl along with Geno next year?
I'm thinking that Still looked pretty decent in his limited action, and that he and Thompson will move into rotational roles this season. Sims will likely be allowed to go test FA (just like last year) and the team will neither suffer or benefit from his presence or departure.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14134

LB- addition by subtraction (Rey) and bring Howard back

DT- Still and Thompson

CB- Kirkpatrick, Ghee, Praeter, still would bring Pac back

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

It better be the O-Line or we're in trouble.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73593

Very much hoping QB (and I very well think it can happen)

Very likely defensive tackle
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

If Kirkpatrick is any good, that one for sure. I too would like to see a lot of improvement from Andy. If we don't make any changes at WR, I think Sanu and Jones with a year under their belts will see big improvement

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrizzle View Post
If Kirkpatrick is any good, that one for sure. I too would like to see a lot of improvement from Andy. If we don't make any changes at WR, I think Sanu and Jones with a year under their belts will see big improvement
I agree with this, Bengals fans were spoiled with Green and seem to forget that most WR take a year or two to adjust to the NFL game. The WR this year will be Green, Jones, and Sanu and should do just fine.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4741

WR. Going into the season with Green, Jones, Sanu and Hawkins vs. Green, Binns, Tate and Hawkins, should be a much improved receiving corps.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7812

Boling and Zeitler both played pretty well this year, I think they'll both be much better next season.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4098

1. Wide Receiver & Quarter Back - Lets face it WR was a revolving door this season, but Mohamed Sanu showed there could be a force next to AJ Green next season. 16 receptions 10 first downs and 4 TD's (not including his 5 rushes for 2 first downs..we are not talking about end-arounds but as a split back). Also half of his total catches were on 3rd down (8/93).

2. Offensive Line - The Bengals had a completely revamped offensive line at the beginning of the season. Not to mention losing the starting LG & C before they even started. Zeitler and Boiling both looked very good most of the season until they pretty much hit that 12 game wall most rookies hit. Faine was just plain awful. Robinson filled in adequately, but I think they tried to rush Cook back into the line up so he could match up against the larger defensive lines and he was not ready. Next season they will all have a full season under there belt dont care what they do at Center as long as its someone healthy. (Though I am a huge Cook supporter as some of you know I never seen him make it to the second level like Robinson does consistently.)
Strength and Conditioning during the off season plus I want to see an article like this again in a couple of weeks. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...as-consultant/ I believe we can thank McNally for picking up Wharton as a FA, passing on DeCastro twice then taking Zeilter, and the surprise of the UDFA Trevor Robinson.

Resign Andre Smith.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: What position do you think would improve the most w/out drafting or FA another pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
This is kind of a tough question.

Kirkpatrick at CB should improve that position a lot.

Wharton is another one as he is a road grader in the running game.
Should is a key word on those two, I'll add hope.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

I'm another vote for WR.

I think Jones is going to be a good one.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Boling and Zeitler both played pretty well this year, I think they'll both be much better next season.

I wouldn't go that far, just yet.

Zeitler looked good on most days, Boling had a good game or two, but for the most part worked hard to hold his own.

But, Boling progressed very well from rookie to 2nd year player, hope the progression continues.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23057

Center. Cook was terrible and proved that it wasn't poor guard play that made him look like steaming garbage, but he was in fact playing like steaming garbage. Replacing Cook with an emerging Robinson, who will only get better and stronger as time passes, would be a massive improvement for the o-line.

Cook is garbage. No more excuses left in the tank for him. Time to regret spending the money and move ahead.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Center. Cook was terrible and proved that it wasn't poor guard play that made him look like steaming garbage, but he was in fact playing like steaming garbage. Replacing Cook with an emerging Robinson, who will only get better and stronger as time passes, would be a massive improvement for the o-line.

Cook is garbage. No more excuses left in the tank for him. Time to regret spending the money and move ahead.
I agree. The Center position couldn't have been much worse this season...

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 440

Center and WR.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2631

I think the whole Oline should be massively improved......Whitworth did not look as dominant as he usually does (still great, but I expect him to return to form), Wharton/Boling, either one should play better next year....Robinson over Cook is already huge improvement, with another offseason and TC, should be even better.....Zeitler should improve as well.

If that counts as 5 positions, then the one I see the most improvement on is WR, Green is still improving, Sanu and Jones should be very improved, hawkins hopefully as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16657

Quote:

I think the easy answer from most on this board is MLB. However I feel for us to make significant progress and be a Super Bowl type team, it is the QB position. Andy simply is not good enough yet to take us to the next level. He also needs help either at wider receiver two, TE or both.

My answer is Andy Dalton and our QB position because a top 5 or 6 team defensively is sufficient enough to win a Super Bowl with a top 10 offense (which we weren't at around 22nd or 23rd).
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19198

I hope Kirkpatrick can improve because we a lock down corner with our pass rush would make our D downright dirty.

Plus, then it would make me feel a little, tiny, very small bit better about passing on Jenkins, and then I wouldn't have to do my "I told you so" dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGc9zmpK5M
Although mine would be much cooler from my wheelchair.

Hoping that Jones or Sanu can draw some coverage and take some heat off of AJ because he was stupid good with teams able to focus all their energy on him, so imagine what he can do with a little breathing room.

Hoping that Boling can help solidify our line with whoever our new center is.

Then I'd like to see Burfict at SAM or MIKE (if swithing positions doesn't break the guidelines).
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41469

Cheat answer would be DB.

Safety- Sands and Dye both looked good prior to going down with injury last year. Personally think they IR'd Dye to avoid exposing him on the PS. Iloka was a rookie last year and could improve going into next year.

Corner- Dre K is the obvious upgrade, but we also gotta understand that the CB out of Iowa was never healthy, Ghee suffered his annual injuries, and Leon will be one year further removed from the ankle injury.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

#1 I say CB, because of Dre and Ghee. They both have NFL talent, that was ahead of Newman, Jones, and the other CBs, but injuries held them back.

#2 LB Burfict will have a year of experience under his belt.
I hope Maualuga is gone, as he is not NFL quality.
Lamur will also improve as he will have an off season and experience. If we improve our one empty position, then our D becomes top 5, if not batter.

#3 O line. I hope Robinson inproves his strength, and adds weight this off season. He is much better than Cook, and should win the starting job with ease.
Boling greatly improved this past off season, and should improve this year, with experience and knowing his position, and training for it.
Zeitler will improve both his body, and with experience. Zeitler should become an all pro type of RG. Whitworth has been struggling for him this past two years. He is having the knee worked on, and should be 100% for the first time in three years.
That brings us to Smith, if signed it will make the O line complete, if not, then we have Collins. Collins is a better pass protector, but needs to improve in the strength area. Either way, the O line will improve this off season.

#4 WR Green will improve, as this is his third year, and he will learn the little things that make a WR even better with time. He is arguably a top 5 WR, and will just be getting better.
Jones was showing the game was not too big for him, and was open for several deep throws and more than one TD, but Dalton missed him while running for his life, or had the ball knocked out of his hands like in the playoff game. The only WR we have with a better level of talent is Green, next year Jones will show he belongs in the NFL, as our #2 WR. Remember Jones was to start against the Steelers the first game and he was injuried. He was raw, but has too much physical talent to be a #3 WR.
Sanu has good hands, but not the speed to get seperation against a #2 CB. His body should improve this off season, and he will learn more of the tricks to being a good WR. I think he will battle Jones for the #2 spot, but like this past year, Jones will have too much raw talent.
Hawkins will improve physically, and should look to becomeing a return man as well as a slot WR.

This team was a good Center away from winning their first playoff game in too many years. This year they improve and become a real contender.

If they have another good draft, this team will dominate the AFCN, and become a threat to win it all.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president