Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29075
Default Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
My guess is he is re-signed and remains a starter. Likely at MLB, possibly back to SLB.
Note, I siad this before the playoff game. Rey can go.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Fail...

And Rey is a Fine player... Hes no Rey Lewis but you dont find those very often.

Burfict is perfect for the Will Spot

We dont have a middle LB to replace Rey so our best bet is to resign him to a short term deal.
Rey can't cover on 3rd down. Our MLB needs to be a Field General that plays 3 downs. This is an unresolvable situation. If he hasn't been able to cover TE's and backs up to now, he'll never learn because it's not his brains that's the problem but his skillset. he can't overcome the lack of skills to cover effectively, therefore he will not be our MLB going forward. Mark it.

We may bring him back at another LB position, but he won't be in the middle next year.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 218
Default Re: The madness has to stop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
That is total tackle ranking... The guy had 62 solo divide that by 16 = he *****. Can I ask you why do you think he is good beside his jump on pile ranking?
because he stays healthy.. ranks in top 20 with LBs.. is a team leader, a effective signal caller on a top defense and Zimmer has continued to start him which says more than we know.. I think i have answered your question well and you obviously have a biase by the weak pile on ranking.. that is sooooooooooooo weak... first how many penalties has he gotten for pile on? you prefer players to stop and watch??? and i guess no other LBS in the league do the same thing....

i would say on a scale of 10, i would rank him a 7, which would be average not fair/terrible but on the edge of good
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
Rey can't cover on 3rd down. Our MLB needs to be a Field General that plays 3 downs. This is an unresolvable situation. If he hasn't been able to cover TE's and backs up to now, he'll never learn because it's not his brains that's the problem but his skillset. he can't overcome the lack of skills to cover effectively, therefore he will not be our MLB going forward. Mark it.

We may bring him back at another LB position, but he won't be in the middle next year.
Right on ! Rey just doesn't have the instincts to play MLB. You can see he's hesitant to commit on every play.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2192

So what skills does he actually have ? He whiffs tackles, can't cover the pass, can't shed a block. What am I missing that people say he is average? He's slow, and he always looks like he's lost. He has had 4 years to show what he's got. And the answer is, nothing. Seriously the Bengals thought they found a jewel when they drafted him. I cant see him staying here. Not sure who will want him.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5515

Either running the ball more OR having a better MLB would have won us the game against Houston this year. Even the announcers called Rey out a few times for not finishing tackles. He isn't sideline to sideline, and he can't defend the middle on passing downs. He occasionally whiffs on tackling runners in the middle (like some big runs that Ray Rice broke off against us, or Willis McGahee last year), thought that's probably his strong suit.

If he wants to be a team player, then I'd let him ride the bench. If not, find another team who is willing to take a chance at him. He could be a great player some day, I just don't think it is here. I wish we could get more than a 4th rounder for him, though I think that is unlikely. Maybe try to trade him for another player who is underachieving on a different team? Sometimes we can turn those into gems.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1648

Rey Maualuga is gonna make you all eat crow!!!!!

If he can catch you.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21046

But Rey led the team to two playoff games in a row from the MLB position!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17926

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
But Rey led the team to two playoff games in a row from the MLB position!
Even though you're joking, posts like this make me wanty to kick my dog.

Think of how good we could have been with a good, or even an average, MIKE.

Burfict was an animal, and I don't know if he was serious about playing on the outside more, but I'd love to see him at SAM or MIKE because I think he could give this defense an identity.

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
To all those that think Rey M. Is a good middle line backer please please please explain why. I am tired of ppl lumping accolade on him that aren't true. He was good against the run on what planet in what altèrnate universe? Tackled well I guess lowering your head with no form is condidered good tackling. This guy blows and it doesn't matter that you bought his jersey and it if you like his hair he is not a good linebacker.
I bought his jersey; don't like his hair, and he's still not very good.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8392

Rey meet door. Door meet Rey.

Seriously though it kinda ***** he never panned out. I remember being more excited about us scooping him up in round 2 then drafting Andre Smith the round before. He seemed like he had all the tools to be an explosive player. If I ever watch Rey over pursue another run to the the outside again it will be too soon.

Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3042

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
Either running the ball more OR having a better MLB would have won us the game against Houston this year. Even the announcers called Rey out a few times for not finishing tackles. He isn't sideline to sideline, and he can't defend the middle on passing downs. He occasionally whiffs on tackling runners in the middle (like some big runs that Ray Rice broke off against us, or Willis McGahee last year), thought that's probably his strong suit.

If he wants to be a team player, then I'd let him ride the bench. If not, find another team who is willing to take a chance at him. He could be a great player some day, I just don't think it is here. I wish we could get more than a 4th rounder for him, though I think that is unlikely. Maybe try to trade him for another player who is underachieving on a different team? Sometimes we can turn those into gems.
wouldn't we have to re-sign him to trade him?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrobo9 View Post
because he stays healthy.. ranks in top 20 with LBs.. is a team leader, a effective signal caller on a top defense and Zimmer has continued to start him which says more than we know.. I think i have answered your question well and you obviously have a biase by the weak pile on ranking.. that is sooooooooooooo weak... first how many penalties has he gotten for pile on? you prefer players to stop and watch??? and i guess no other LBS in the league do the same thing....

i would say on a scale of 10, i would rank him a 7, which would be average not fair/terrible but on the edge of good
Rey, is that you? You probably should not be reading this thread given your current mental state.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1870
Default Goodbye Rey?

I read this in the story titled Maybin, Lewis go way back:

"If they keep just those that are under contract, Burfict figures to start in the middle"

So, do you think this possible? I like Rey but Burfict seems like a better fit in the middle to me. He really showed me something by only playing part of the season and yet he still ended up leading the team in tackles from the outside position.

1. I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever; with my mouth will I make known Thy faithfulness to all generations.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2026
Default Re: Goodbye Rey?

To be honest, id rather play 10 guys on defence than play Rey if he's much the same as he was last year. Sure if Rey upped his game I'd be fine with seeing him back, but he's a FA and based on his time here I dont know why we'd bring him back other than as depth. We need a better starting MLB than he was last year for sure.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2627

I think some other NFL franchise will offer him more money than we'd be willing to pay him after this year. His situation reminds me a little of Madieu Williams who underacheived here but might be a decent fit elsewhere.

Pete Carroll?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Bengal Fan View Post

"If they keep just those that are under contract, Burfict figures to start in the middle"

So, do you think this possible? I like Rey but Burfict seems like a better fit in the middle to me. He really showed me something by only playing part of the season and yet he still ended up leading the team in tackles from the outside position.

What exactly do you like about this guy? Just curious.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Bengal Fan View Post

You may be reading a little too much into it. "If they keep those under contract" - Rey is not under contract.

But I think whether or not he is back is 50/50.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
Rey, is that you? You probably should not be reading this thread given your current mental state.
This is a thread I hope we don't have to revisit if Burfict takes over and is not th enext coming of Ray Lewis.

Seriously, our defense was ranked 6th so with Burfict, we should expect no worse than top 2 in 2013 according to the resident experts who have said numerous times in numerous ways Rey was the only think holding our defense back.

If we are not top 2 next year, I will bring back the thread because in the end all that matters is improvement or lack thereof.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
Lol I had so many counter points to that mess he posted but decided it wasn't worth my time.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4495

I have a solution.......

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28182

Quote:
What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?
They are going to *wave bye bye*

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
This is a thread I hope we don't have to revisit if Burfict takes over and is not th enext coming of Ray Lewis.

Seriously, our defense was ranked 6th so with Burfict, we should expect no worse than top 2 in 2013 according to the resident experts who have said numerous times in numerous ways Rey was the only think holding our defense back.

If we are not top 2 next year, I will bring back the thread because in the end all that matters is improvement or lack thereof.
I think the Texans showed everyone how to gash the Bengals D.....attack Rey and make him cover. Rey is so bad at covering that there isn't any disguising it or scheming to compensate for it. I don't care if they were ranked sixth, if Rey stays I don't think our D is ranked in the top 10 next year because he will get abused every game. He has to go.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalUSCfan View Post
I think some other NFL franchise will offer him more money than we'd be willing to pay him after this year. His situation reminds me a little of Madieu Williams who underacheived here but might be a decent fit elsewhere.

Pete Carroll?
Yes, but Madieu didn't stink, so the comparison kinda breaks down.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 13281

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
I think the Texans showed everyone how to gash the Bengals D.....attack Rey and make him cover. Rey is so bad at covering that there isn't any disguising it or scheming to compensate for it. I don't care if they were ranked sixth, if Rey stays I don't think our D is ranked in the top 10 next year because he will get abused every game. He has to go.
Like I said, if he goes and we fall down defensively, fans need to look in the mirror and own up to their bashing mistakes.

Also, I have seen James Harrison abused in coverage as well as Brian Urlacher It happens to the best of them. Marshall had a history of making MLB's look awful in coverage.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones