Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 536
Default Re: Realistic view of the receiving corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Binns ?.....Tate ?.....Hilton ?.....Hawkins ?.........Yikes, we do need a WR bad this off season. ...I can see on here these players have fans, but they just aren't any good.

Maybe Sanu will be OK, but don't put all the eggs in the 'maybe Sanu' basket.

Until we get the double team off Green, we can't win in the play-offs and may not even get top the play-offs if Green stays double covered.....none of this Binns, Tate, Hilton, Hawkins bunch can take the heat and double team off of Green. They may catch a few and drop a few, but they will never ever take the double team off of Green.

We need a WR close to or equal in talent to Green if we are ever going to get serious about winning in the play-offs. ...and if we don't, then we might as well not even wish and whine about play-off wins. As long as AJ Green is double covered, we can't win.
We don't need a WR almost as good as Green, we need a QB that can hit a WR in the #s while there running. Not stopping and waiting for the ball,not jumming 10 feet in the air to try to bring it down. Every one of the WR you talk about in your post would have been 10 times better if they would have had a better chance to catch the football. Everybody on here talks about #s. I'll give you one. If Dalton hits AJ in the #s WHILE he's running, AJ most likely gets an easy 2000 yards. I can't stand Joe Flacco. But watch he's passes. He hits his WR in the #s. He makes his WRs look good, and I don't think the Ravens WR are any better than ours.

Last edited by old man; 01-27-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: changed a word
Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Realistic view of the receiving corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
We don't need a WR almost as good as Green, we need a QB that can hit a WR in the #s while there running. Not stopping and waiting for the ball,not jumming 10 feet in the air to try to bring it down. Every one of the WR you talk about in your post would have been 10 times better if they would have had a better chance to catch the football. Everybody on here talks about #s. I'll give you one. If Dalton hits AJ in the #s WHILE he's running, AJ most likely gets an easy 2000 yards. I can't stand Joe Flacco. But watch he's passes. He hits his WR in the #s. He makes his WRs look good, and I don't think the Ravens WR are any better than ours.
You are right, and the majority of the time the receiver has to wait for the ball.

I wish some of you guys, that stay on here, and talking how good Dalton is, would attend a few games and watch the receivers, and Dalton, see the whole picture, then maybe you will under stand Dalton is way off yor opinion, and whoever said Green is always double teamed, or triple teamed, couldn't be farther from the truth.

Last edited by THEBURG; 01-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
You are right, and the majority of the time the receiver has to wait for the ball.

I wish some of you guys, that stay on here, and talking how good Dalton is, would attend a few games and watch the receivers, and Dalton, see the whole picture, then maybe you will under stand Dalton is way off yor opinion, and whoever said Green is always double teamed, or triple teamed, couldn't be farther from the truth.
One last thing on this. I know this is football and players are going to get hurt. But Binns made a catch on a ball that could have cost him his career. Dalton allmost got him killed. When Green makes the same mistake, and Dalton gets him hurt you folks are going to change your tune. Green is the #1 WR on this team sooner or later Dalton's going to get him layed out. Binns was working his butt off to be the #2 WR we needed. The mistake the kid made was catching a pass he should have never tryed to catch. Greens time is comming.

Last edited by old man; 01-27-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added a t to butt
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20756

Quote:
One last thing on this. I know this is football and players are going to get hurt. But Binns made a catch on a ball that could have cost him his career. Dalton allmost got him killed. When Green makes the same mistake, and Dalton gets him hurt you folks are going to change your tune. Green is the #1 WR on this team sooner or later Dalton's going to get him layed out. Binns was working his butt off to be the #2 WR we needed. The mistake the kid made was catching a pass he should have never tryed to catch. Greens time is comming.
Even if you think it, why the hell would you even say anything like this? Wisdom is knowing that some things are better left unsaid. Damn it, man.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Even if you think it, why the hell would you even say anything like this? Wisdom is knowing that some things are better left unsaid. Damn it, man.
Don't you ever damm me boy
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448

Quote:
It's only a discussion.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31598

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post

Marvin Lewis:

"Earlier in the year we got a lot of those single looks. Later in the year we didn't get as many," Lewis said. "We have to make first downs and build those opportunities. You don't just chuck it down the field into coverage. You have to do other things to get first downs, which gives you other opportunities."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/1/24...er-way-to-make

Quote:
So now Dalton is getting blamed for future injuries. It never ends.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Didn't realize your name was "it."

Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678

The bottom line is that the offense needs to improve. The passing game needs to improve.

IF that means bringing in WRs, lineman or RBs, it needs to be done. There's a bunch of ways to do it, but the bottom line is that this offense is missing some major weapons and speed.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321

Quote:
Every QB in the league will make throws that can potentially hang a WR out there. Unfortunate part of the game so get over yourself.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Every QB in the league will make throws that can potentially hang a WR out there. Unfortunate part of the game so get over yourself.
The second line I wrote said what OSU? YOU get over YOUR self. I did years and years ago.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The second line I wrote said what OSU? YOU get over YOUR self. I did years and years ago.
You then cancelled it out by going on to try and make Dalton out to be a career killer. My statement stands.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You then cancelled it out by going on to try and make Dalton out to be a career killer. My statement stands.
Your allways right.
I just saw on the probowl intros, Peyton Manning at a chalk board, showing Gresham plays. Maybe Gruden ought try that with him. Lets see how many passes he drops with Manning. I'm betting the first one drops, he's done for the night.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Your allways right.
I just saw on the probowl intros, Peyton Manning at a chalk board, showing Gresham plays. Maybe Gruden ought try that with him. Lets see how many passes he drops with Manning. I'm betting the first one drops, he's done for the night.
How could it be that he drops passes when his QB can never make a good throw. Make up your mind which is it?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How could it be that he drops passes when his QB can never make a good throw. Make up your mind which is it?
What ever you say it is OSU, your always right. But In my humble opinion they both stink.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
What ever you say it is OSU, your always right. But In my humble opinion they both stink.
I did not say one way or another you are the one making all the accusations. I am just trying to keep up with them all. First it was Dalton not being able to hit the receivers now it is dropped balls by the receivers. Just trying to keep up.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
You make an idiotic comment and it's my fault, right, tough guy?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7136

Quote:
I did not say one way or another you are the one making all the accusations. I am just trying to keep up with them all. First it was Dalton not being able to hit the receivers now it is dropped balls by the receivers. Just trying to keep up.
It's a waste of time. The anti-Dalton brigade doesn't use reason or actual analysis to back up their position. They just don't like Andy.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
It's a waste of time. The anti-Dalton brigade doesn't use reason or actual analysis to back up their position. They just don't like Andy.
Yep. They all think they're friggin Bill Walsh but prolly can't throw a spiral to save their life. It never ceases to amaze me how they can just dismiss all the facts and history of the game that has proven even the undisputed elite QBs need help. When they get the help they need, a guy once thought average can become considered great, it happens all the time but they won't acknowledge it.

They see QBs as either John Elway or Mark Sanchez and of course they want a guy they see as our "Elway". Meanwhile, all Elway did was get torched in SBs until he had the proper support to finish the deal. He went from 70s passer ratings to mid 90's once he had a run game and a little defense but not before. Dalton is already putting up an upper 80s rating and they swear he's a scrub.

It really is ridiculous.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
It might sound silly, but I really think people don't like Dalton because he's not 6'5" with a cannon arm from a big school. There wasn't a lot of hype with him coming out of TCU.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
It might sound silly, but I really think people don't like Dalton because he's not 6'5" with a cannon arm from a big school. There wasn't a lot of hype with him coming out of TCU.
Funny thing is you are probably correct and even yet anyone of them bashing him would probably like to have Brees.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18785

Some of you guys make me laugh. I said two years ago, if you are going to get rid of a couple of so called "diva" WR's you better replace them with better WR's. I made it clear last year that Simpson/Caldwell were NOT going to be good and that AJ and Dalton needed help. But, the hypocrites out there said, we don't care if we get worse we just want them off the team. we want a team of no "divas". Well you got your wish the "divas" are no longer here outside of Green and Gresham our WR corp stinks.

Now before you answer with an ignorant statement. I did not have an issue replacing the "divas". I had a problem elevating Simpson/Caldwell to the #2 and #3 outside slot WR's.

If Simpson/Caldwell were the #3 and #4 outside slot WR's in 2010 and you get rid of your #1 and #2 WR's of 2010, then you find WR's better then #3 and #4 Simpson/Caldwell. You don't freaking promote them unless they were better then the WR's you let go.

If Dalton decides to leave after next year, do you make Gradkowski the starter in 2014?
When Palmer decided to retire did we make his brother the starting QB?

What we did was draft a QB and got one by free agency.

Again, for the hard of reading. I am not saying we should have kept the "divas" at all cost. We should have replaced them with equal or better WR's. We replaced one of them with a much better WR in AJ Green, but the vacant sign on WR #2 has been lit for two years now.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 01-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Probably true.

I think he can succeed IF the Bengals build around him right. So far, I would say they have failed.

They have also failed for 2 seasons to get personnel that fits a WC offense which is the bigger issue.

A guy like AJ Green fits any offense. How many other guys do you look at and say, Wow! He's a perfect fit for this offense!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20476

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Again, for the hard of reading. I am not saying we should have kept the "divas" at all cost. We should have replaced them with equal or better WR's. We replaced one of them with a much better WR in AJ Green, but the vacant sign on WR #2 has been lit for two years now.

Agreed. Other than AJ, and maybe Sanu since he was a 3rd rounder, the Bengals haven't done much in making a meaningful effort in upgrading the receiving corps after CP quit and Chad got traded. They rolled the dice with Binns/Tate to start the year because they were cheap and already on the roster. Went with Hawkins who won his spot in camp over a hurt Shipley. Drafted Jones in the 5th. So yeah, in the 2012 offseason, Bengals did very little to upgrade the receivers in which I was very much against last off-season as I was a leader of the "We need a legit #2 WR" bandwagon.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Agreed. Other than AJ, and maybe Sanu since he was a 3rd rounder, the Bengals haven't done much in making a meaningful effort in upgrading the receiving corps after CP quit and Chad got traded. They rolled the dice with Binns/Tate to start the year because they were cheap and already on the roster. Went with Hawkins who won his spot in camp over a hurt Shipley. Drafted Jones in the 5th. So yeah, in the 2012 offseason, Bengals did very little to upgrade the receivers in which I was very much against last off-season as I was a leader of the "We need a legit #2 WR" bandwagon.

I was a leader also especially after the season 2010 and I was drowned out by the ridiculous posts from some members in that they would rather be horrible then have the diva's on upcoming 2011 season.

Think about that last statement boys and girls. Some of these fans rather be worse then the Browns and finish last again in 2011 then have a couple of divas. Now, I bet some of these same "fans" are the same fools who are complaining about our WR corps and Gruden and Marvin, etc.

You can't have it both ways. It takes years to develop a good WR corps. The last time we had a good WR corps was with Chad, TJ and Chris Henry.

Some members think 3-4 good receivers are a dime a dozen. They are not, look at the Browns. They don't even have 1 good WR.

It might take years before we get a legitimate #2 WR, by then we may lose #1 WR.