Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 128
Default MJ's response when asked about returning to Cincy

"I would like to stay in Cincinnati. You can always find something wrong with your current position, but the grass is not always greener on the other side," Johnson told Robert Hudson with the Selma Times Journal. "This is the team thatís drafted me, they believed in me over everybody else, Iím embedded in the community up there, my teammates love me, the coaches and the owners. Everybody wants me to be there... We've developed a nice brotherhood amongst us as a team. That's not always the case in every NFL locker room. We hang out together, weíre like high school teammates or college teammates. Our families hang out together, it's a different environment up there."

That's Michael Johnson's response when asked about returning to Cincinnati. Not only is he a class act, but it's really great to hear that positive of a spin on the environment in the Bengals locker room. I can't wait till next season. We've really got something special brewing.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/1/28...eally-wants-to

What do Tigers dream of
when they take a little tiger snooze?
Do they dream of mauling zebras?
or Halle Berry in her Catwoman suit?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16971
bengals Re: MJ's response when asked about returning to Cincy

Good news.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11149
Default Re: MJ's response when asked about returning to Cincy

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing that. Hope he comes back.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9244

I'm sure he's a great guy, but it's all posturing.

$$$$$$$$
Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
I'm sure he's a great guy, but it's all posturing.

$$$$$$$$
I doubt it. I guarantee the valedictorian has thoroughly analyzed his situation. He isn't the standard money grabbing NFL player.

He also said

"I’m not against staying, whether that’s a long-term deal or if I was to get a franchise tag. However we can work it out, I would like to be a Cincinnati Bengal."

Nobody wants the franchise tag. And if he is willing to get tagged just to stay that is not normal among NFL players.

The good thing is MJ isn't going to go to the strip club and make it rain with the money we give him. He will actually help less fortunate people and make a difference in the lives of many.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38070

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I doubt it. I guarantee the valedictorian has thoroughly analyzed his situation. He isn't the standard money grabbing NFL player.

He also said

"Iím not against staying, whether thatís a long-term deal or if I was to get a franchise tag. However we can work it out, I would like to be a Cincinnati Bengal."

Nobody wants the franchise tag. And if he is willing to get tagged just to stay that is not normal among NFL players.

The good thing is MJ isn't going to go to the strip club and make it rain with the money we give him. He will actually help less fortunate people and make a difference in the lives of many.
That's the confidence of a man who knows his earning potential is not going to be nil when his playing career is over. I didn't realize he was a former valedictorian.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9478

Man I love to read that and I am not surprised. The FO needs to pay MJ because he deserves it.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelbengal View Post
"I would like to stay in Cincinnati. You can always find something wrong with your current position, but the grass is not always greener on the other side," Johnson told Robert Hudson with the Selma Times Journal. "This is the team thatís drafted me, they believed in me over everybody else, Iím embedded in the community up there, my teammates love me, the coaches and the owners. Everybody wants me to be there... We've developed a nice brotherhood amongst us as a team. That's not always the case in every NFL locker room. We hang out together, weíre like high school teammates or college teammates. Our families hang out together, it's a different environment up there."

That's Michael Johnson's response when asked about returning to Cincinnati. Not only is he a class act, but it's really great to hear that positive of a spin on the environment in the Bengals locker room. I can't wait till next season. We've really got something special brewing.

Seems like a quality individual!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
That's the confidence of a man who knows his earning potential is not going to be nil when his playing career is over. I didn't realize he was a former valedictorian.
Pretty sure he grew up in a military family as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38070

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU725 View Post

Yea, sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders. Which probably means that with the money he's already made, he's set for life already. As anyone with a bit of sense should be after making several million in a matter of a few years. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to belittle the accomplishment at all. That's good for him assuming that's the case and it's a breath of fresh air to hear a guy not talk about getting franchise tagged like it's the equivalent of getting kicked in the nads.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17847

This sums up my thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE
Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7906

Interestingly enough the last guy who said he wanted to be here and was cool with being tagged was lest walk and played a part in both early playoff exits.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8778

Quote:

Excellent response. I would love for him to stay here and keep our D-Line in tact. It's great to hear that he views the locker room and community in such a positive manner.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 595

You wanna talk a 180 from how the locker room was percieved just 5 years ago...great to hear something like this come out
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

If Johnson wants to much money then let him walk and sign Cliff Avril...MB has alot of money to spend so why not anty up a little bit & get someone good....MJ is a built DE, but he is average.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
If Johnson wants to much money then let him walk and sign Cliff Avril...MB has alot of money to spend so why not anty up a little bit & get someone good....MJ is a built DE, but he is average.
The Lions offered Avril a deal that was 10 million a year on average, and that wasn't good enough for him, he'll want way more than MJ and isn't as good.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3175

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU725 View Post

He does seem like a great kid.
You are correct on the military assumption.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 706

He watched Fanene and Rucker go to other clubs and he knows the rotation on the Bengals helps guys stay fresh and productive.If he can continue to improve and keep playing hard he can be a pillar for this team.I would like to see him in a Bengals uni for a long time.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33716

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25428
bengals Re: MJ's response when asked about returning to Cincy

Quote:
Leave it to Beaver. Knew we had to get a response such as this sooner or later.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9798

Quote:
Avril is on the downside of his career while MJ is young and getting better.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9244

Again, great response, but it's still a business.

Many players have said the same thing only to sign with another team.

He'll get big money, and I hope it's from MB.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8708

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Leave it to Beaver. Knew we had to get a response such as this sooner or later.
For sure, yep, just let a good young player walk, and spend more on another one; brilliant! The times they are a changin, and it appears that it isn't such a bad thing to be a Bengal nowadays. Get all our good young players re-signed!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2345

I love me some MJ! Lock him up, it's not every day someone speaks about the Bengals like that
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Quote:

I really hope they re-sign MJ.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

J Joe said the same things, even made promises to Mike Zimmer that be wanted to be here. Then during the lockout, he changed his mind and screwed Mike Zimmer over. Remember how ****** Zimmer was at him after he signed with Houston? He really called out Joseph, saying promises had been made, etc.

I think MJ is a lot more genuine though in his desire to be here though. I think the bengals have learned they are better off with guys who really want to be here.