Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1127
Default Bold prediction: the Bengals draft Tyrann Mathiue with the 37th overall pick.

HONEY BADGER.... What are your thoughts?

I personally want him - A LOT. Dude is a playmaking shut down CB who can dominate in the return game too... Yeah, he is an idiot though and a criminal but--- oh well.

___

yrann Mathieu, 5-9/175

Cornerback

LSU

Tyrann Mathieu 2012 Preview
By Charlie Campbell

Career Recap: Mathieu has been an impact player since day one for LSU. Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman in 2010. He was one of the best defensive players in college football last tear as a sophomore. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, having had a massive impact for LSU. Mathieu led LSU in tackles with 76 and also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. Additionally, he served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns.

2012 Season Outlook: Mathieu should be in store for another good season in 2012. LSU returns a fabulous defensive line that will get steady pressure on the quarterback. He has uncanny instincts and playmaking skills to take advantage of quarterbacks throwing the ball before they are ready.

The Tigers' secondary lost two players to the NFL, Morris Claiborne and Brandon Taylor, but still has talent around Mathieu. The SEC competition will try and limit how big an impact he makes, but Mathieu should be another difference maker in 2012.

Skill-Set Summary: The unique attributes that allows Mathieu to be such a force are his instincts. He does a tremendous job of reading an offense and getting in position to make plays. Mathieu is always around the ball. The aggresive corner is a physical hitter and plays much bigger than his size. He has a real knack to strip the ball free from ball carriers.

In the college game, Mathieu has good coverage as a cornerback. He doesn't get beat deep or allow much separation. For the next level, given his size, Mathieu would be best as a hybrid safety and cornerback. He could be serve as a slot corner who covers smaller receivers. Mathieu would operate well as a roving free safety. His instincts could let him run around the field and make splash plays. Mathieu's game is similar to Baltimore Ravens All-Pro Ed Reed.

The play-making corner could also be a punt returner in the NFL.

I ♥ me some Jordan Shipley

Last edited by UnoCinco; 01-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Bold prediction: the Bengals draft Tyrann Mathiue with the 37th overall pick.

that's not bold that's utterly stupid
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224
Default Re: Bold prediction: the Bengals draft Tyrann Mathiue with the 37th overall pick.

I think there will be better CBs without off field problems available at 37.

I like Tyrann. But picking him at 37 wouldn't be ideal.

We are not in desperate need for a corner to go reaching that much.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19176

I'd **** my pants in anger.

We could get that fool in the 5th round if we wanted to.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 468

Undersized and can't play man d. His only potential in the nfl is as a returner ala Devin Hester but that's not worth a 2nd round pick IMO.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

There's bold and then there's bold, then there's BOLD this is beyond bold. It's drastically God awful.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I think there will be better CBs without off field problems available at 37.

I like Tyrann. But picking him at 37 wouldn't be ideal.

We are not in desperate need for a corner to go reaching that much.
What he said.....X10

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 44878

, Really?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23172
bengals Re: Bold prediction: the Bengals draft Tyrann Mathiue with the 37th overall pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnoCinco View Post
HONEY BADGER.... What are your thoughts?

I personally want him - A LOT. Dude is a playmaking shut down CB who can dominate in the return game too... Yeah, he is an idiot though and a criminal but--- oh well.

___

yrann Mathieu, 5-9/175

Cornerback

LSU

Tyrann Mathieu 2012 Preview
By Charlie Campbell

Career Recap: Mathieu has been an impact player since day one for LSU. Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman in 2010. He was one of the best defensive players in college football last tear as a sophomore. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, having had a massive impact for LSU. Mathieu led LSU in tackles with 76 and also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. Additionally, he served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns.

2012 Season Outlook: Mathieu should be in store for another good season in 2012. LSU returns a fabulous defensive line that will get steady pressure on the quarterback. He has uncanny instincts and playmaking skills to take advantage of quarterbacks throwing the ball before they are ready.

The Tigers' secondary lost two players to the NFL, Morris Claiborne and Brandon Taylor, but still has talent around Mathieu. The SEC competition will try and limit how big an impact he makes, but Mathieu should be another difference maker in 2012.

Skill-Set Summary: The unique attributes that allows Mathieu to be such a force are his instincts. He does a tremendous job of reading an offense and getting in position to make plays. Mathieu is always around the ball. The aggresive corner is a physical hitter and plays much bigger than his size. He has a real knack to strip the ball free from ball carriers.

In the college game, Mathieu has good coverage as a cornerback. He doesn't get beat deep or allow much separation. For the next level, given his size, Mathieu would be best as a hybrid safety and cornerback. He could be serve as a slot corner who covers smaller receivers. Mathieu would operate well as a roving free safety. His instincts could let him run around the field and make splash plays. Mathieu's game is similar to Baltimore Ravens All-Pro Ed Reed.

The play-making corner could also be a punt returner in the NFL.

This would be complete ignorance. He is NOT a top tied CB by any stretch of the imagination. So in essence you are trying to say they will use a 2nd RD selection on a returner.

Sorry do not see this happening.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3399

No way you give him that much weed money.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10472

Can't be any worse than drafting Kirkglasstrick in the first round.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13513

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
In all fairness, who could ever predict that a very tall and lanky person might struggle at the NFL level.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

bengals Re: Bold prediction: the Bengals draft Tyrann Mathiue with the 37th overall pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
In all fairness, who could ever predict that a very tall and lanky person might struggle at the NFL level.
Yeah I mean AJ Green is not tall and lanky at all.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 200

Not bold at all and I would welcome it. I think he would be a good starting CB in the league and a great Safety. I think the team that drafts him will use him at safety because they are afraid of his height especially in the Redzone. Your getting a player that can tackle as good as any DB in the draft and on top of it the best playmaker. He might be 5'9 but his arms are long and he's supremely athletic. Nobody can tell me any of the other safety's in this draft have a higher ceiling than Mathieu. Reminds me of an Earl Thomas with more upside.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
No way you give him that much weed money.
Dude is a catastrophe waiting to happen.....but they said that About Burfict too.

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13513

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Yeah I mean AJ Green is not tall and lanky at all.
That is why I actually wanted Julio. Time will tell.

In the mean time...go AJ.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
that's not bold that's utterly stupid
i agree, i think he might be worth a look in late rounds but not the second this dude is delusional
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
That is why I actually wanted Julio. Time will tell.

In the mean time...go AJ.
I lobbied for Julio as well. Guess what ....I was wrong.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8736

Honey Badger at 37... Waste of a pick.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8944

How often does this organization make a predictable pick past the 1st round?

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.

"I don't care if it's a passing league or not. Since the beginning of time when playoffs started championship teams are built on running the ball and stopping the run. Thatís the recipe since football started. We have to be a better team in those situations. Attacking them where we know we can beat them at."
--- Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29560

Bold prediction: The Bengals won't draft Mathieu AT ALL.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Huh?

That was a great pick. What is your issue with Kirkpatrick?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Huh?

That was a great pick. What is your issue with Kirkpatrick?
Nothing. He's big and strong, showed tons of potential when he played. Wasn't a reach at all.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5086

This would be as bad as drafting a punter in the 3rd.......
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51298

Just say "No" to the honey possum.

Too small.

Too slow.

Too stupid.

Too high.